Quotes that You disagree with.

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 02:56 pm
Have you ever heard a quote that you thought made no sense or just plain out sucks because you feel otherwise, contradiction to the quote. If so please share:D
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 16,358 • Replies: 62
No top replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 08:06 pm
@Holiday20310401,
The common cliche "Everything happens for a reason." I think it's a rationalization to help people cope with bad things. Nothing happens for a reason unless we give a reason to it ourselves.
Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 08:22 pm
@Aedes,
I would have to say 'it was a miracle' is a term I hate because people use it in a blind manner. 'Did you ever wonder that it could just be luck' is the kind thought that goes through my head during those moments.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 03:39 pm
@Holiday20310401,
"I am not a criminal" - R Nixon. Obviously false, but I'm sure he thought he was being honest. Nixon had another gem: "If the President does it, it can't be illegal."

Attributing life to miracles, and remarks about the purposefulness of something terrible are both silly to me.

My favorite is only my favorite in certain contexts. Ever hear one of those fire and brimstone ministers tell you God loves you? The full absurdity of fundamentalism is contained in those moments.
Jazzman phil

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 04:15 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Quote:
The common cliche "Everything happens for a reason." I think it's a rationalization to help people cope with bad things. Nothing happens for a reason unless we give a reason to it ourselves.

I agree. That saying is a stultification par excellence. Decisions are made for a reason. Events just happen. If you tell someone who got a stroke that it happened for a reason you imply that there was a benevolent ulterior motive behind it which will turn things to good account, although it's nonsense.
0 Replies

the thinker

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 02:43 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
I would have to say 'it was a miracle' is a term I hate because people use it in a blind manner. 'Did you ever wonder that it could just be luck' is the kind thought that goes through my head during those moments.

Ohhh, yeah. Definitely.

I think one of the quotes I most disagree with is "impossible things ought not be tried at all....." maybe I'm too much of an optimist, maybe I'm too much of an idealist, but, hey, there you go. I've always felt that you can't know if something's impossible or not until you've tried it.
FatalMuse

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 04:14 am
@the thinker,
Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children.
Dan Quayle, 9/18/90
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 05:04 am
@FatalMuse,
Quayle offers a treasure trove of stupid comments.
TheRedMenace

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 01:08 am
@Didymos Thomas,
"The Soviet Union is an evil empire" -- Ronald Reagan. Obviously false but even if you believe it that was a stupid move.

"Morals are the ultimate form of oppression" Max Stirner because morals will retrain you more than laws or governments because they are made by you and thus are never broken. He believed you could not be truly free unless you are without morals. Evil, evil man.

"The world holds two classes of men - intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence" ~ Abu Ala Al-Ma'arri. Just insulting.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 01:11 am
@TheRedMenace,
Quote:
"The Soviet Union is an evil empire" -- Ronald Reagan. Obviously false but even if you believe it that was a stupid move.

What - between 30-60 million slaughtered? That's relatively evil.
Khethil

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 06:57 am
@Didymos Thomas,
"No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."

George Bush, August 27, 1987 Campaign stop in Chicago, IL.
Deftil

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 07:27 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
"No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."

George Bush, August 27, 1987 Campaign stop in Chicago, IL.

I think I will always be in awe of the fact that he actually said that. I assumed it was a joke for a long time, thinking there's no way he could be so clueless to say that.

he was.
Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 08:20 pm
@Deftil,
He's only doing it so as to advocate for religion as people are generally under the assumption that God and religion should go hand in hand.

He's attending the Beijing olympics supporting confucianism b/c of immigrants coming to America from China.

He supported Israel b/c there are more Jews in Manhattan than in Israel.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 08:43 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Going to China isn't a support of Confucianism. The Communist government is so far removed from Confucian wisdom that I can't imagine any connection - oh, except that Communists destroy temples where Confucius is worshiped.
socrato

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 08:59 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Wilt Chamberlain Nobody roots for Goliath.

Found this. I have to disagree with it because my hockey team always wins and we are a bunch of big guys. The squirts lose.
Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 09:16 pm
@socrato,
Didymos,

I'm afraid I have ran out of thanks so I can't thank that post, lol. But haven't we established the fact that China isn't really a communism?

It seems that China isn't good when it comes to human rights. I don't mean to support religion but the government is only corrupting the people by diminishing archaic potential through violence.

They are the Goliath of Injustice, disease, and antidemocracy; from what I can see. And as Wilt Chamberlain put it (even though I hate to quote a Chamberlain [lol]), nobody roots for Goliath.

Apparently idiots do though. Bush and half philosophers.

Just kidding around ofcourse.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 09:31 pm
@Holiday20310401,
The Chinese government is a communist government. Does Chinese communism perfectly conform to the teaching of Marx? No. But the US government doesn't perfectly conform with the teaching of Jefferson, either.

Oh, but Bush is an idiot. You've got that part right for sure.
Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 09:38 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
YouTube - "Watch this drive"

Let me know if this doesn't work. But yeah, simply hilarious how Gore lost to this guy.
0 Replies

thysin

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 05:20 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:

If something happens it has to have a reason for happening or it wouldn't have ever happened. A tree limb can't fall unless there is something there to cause it to fall, which would be the reason it fell.

thysin

edit: To give you an a better idea of my view:
What is the reason for an to apple exist? Because it exists.
sounds weird...does that make sense? Heh

I think I misunderstood the quote a little too as I look back at it. If it were less ambiguous of a quote I'd like it more. I was just looking at it as anything that happens has reasons and events that are directly influenced by have the event as the reason. So everything does have a reason but I would question if everything had a purpose.....maybe...heh
0 Replies

Elmud

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 06:26 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Have you ever heard a quote that you thought made no sense or just plain out sucks because you feel otherwise, contradiction to the quote. If so please share:D

Children are to be seen and not heard. I hate that one.