Top 5 most damaging philosophies?

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 11:46 am
@shmikky,
Quote:
I agree that extremism is a danger, but I feel that philosophy has the potential to be widely accepted and damaging simultaniously. Obviously philosophy in itself is not damaging but the affect of them are. I'm thinking of the Aztec philosophy that required human sacrifice as one example. It may seem extreme to us now but I doubt that it seemed extreme to them at the time.

I have to agree with Aedes' here; philosophy is more a product of the times than the times are a product of philosophy.

But let's take your example of Aztec sacrificial killings. This 'philosophy' that humans must be sacrificed to appeased the Gods is still immensely popular around the world in the form of Christianity, where one man is sacrificed for everyone's sins. The theory is essentially the same, the Aztecs were simply more extreme.
Aedes

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 02:01 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
But let's take your example of Aztec sacrificial killings. This 'philosophy' that humans must be sacrificed to appeased the Gods is still immensely popular around the world in the form of Christianity, where one man is sacrificed for everyone's sins. The theory is essentially the same, the Aztecs were simply more extreme.

I wouldn't apply the word philosophy to either example. Philosophy can occur within the framework of certain religions, as often happens with eastern philosophy, but that doesn't make religious rites and beliefs philosophy unto itself.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 02:17 pm
@shmikky,
Quote:
I wouldn't apply the word philosophy to either example. Philosophy can occur within the framework of certain religions, as often happens with eastern philosophy, but that doesn't make religious rites and beliefs philosophy unto itself.

Neither would I, which is why I used the quotations. Then again, a lot of so called philosophies on these lists are not exactly what I would call philosophies. But, for the purposes of this thread, the word philosophy has been given a broader meaning, and I wanted to carry out the example.
ogden

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 04:03 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
How is it that we can say religious beliefs are not a philosophy and then celibrate Augustine and Aquinas as philosophers? Is nuclear proliferation a philosophy? Maybe not in the most pure sense, but I would have to say it is a philosophy. Almost any train of reason could be considered a philosophy--or that is what I thought:).
Aedes

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 04:58 pm
@ogden,
ogden wrote:
How is it that we can say religious beliefs are not a philosophy and then celibrate Augustine and Aquinas as philosophers?
They weren't philosophers, they were theologians. But they're celebrated as philosophers for two important reasons. Number 1, and particularly for Aquinas, he (and Scholasticism in general, as well as its earlier counterparts in Islam and Judaism with Avicenna, Maimonides, and others), represent a rediscovery of classical rational philosophy. They were pioneers in incorporating classical philosophy into their own time and place. Sure, the output was theology, but this was one of the earliest seeds of what became modern thought. Secondly, if you did not count Augustine and Aquinas, you would have no one to study in the ~1200 years between Plotinus and Descartes, so why not?
saiboimushi

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 08:02 pm
@Aedes,
This raises a fundamental question: what is philosophy?

Or to put it another way, What are the specific qualities that differentiate supposed non-philosophies (e.g., Naziism, Aztec sun worship, and Christianity) from real or true philosophy?

But also, I'm interested in validating, or at least articulating, a criteron by which one can determine whether a given belief-system is harmful. What do you guys suppose a possible criterion might be? We can say that a given system is harmful, but what do we mean when we say that? And how can we know that we are right?
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 10:06 pm
@shmikky,
Doesn't this discussion stray far away from the intent of the original post? I think this would be a good thread all on its own.
0 Replies

ronsher gangwar

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 07:39 am
@Play Dough,
Play_Dough wrote:
1) Capitalism (self evident as to why)
2) Christianity, as taught to the masses (God as an 'external only' phenomenon)
3) Democracy that 'sees' corporations as a 'legal person'.
4) Pre-determinism without free will (avoidance of responsibility for one's actions)
5) Trying to get answers for test questions on the internet.

hey hi! i'm ronsher... i don't understand what made you believe that there are five damaging philosophies... what i think is that most damaging to human civilisation is the philosophy of survival, a survival safeguarded by four walls on sides and a roof to hide.... rest is all outcome, may i ask you to ponder into the depths i tried take you to by putting forward this notion..... Smile
Doobah47

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 08:21 am
@ronsher gangwar,
I'd say that belief in the possibility of 'truth' is the most damaging philosophy.

There is no such thing, there never will be, and just look howmany people have died in wars governed by those claiming 'truth'! For example; 'bin Laden did the deed' hence blow up afgahnistan and iraq, impose a stupidious democracy of warlords and muppets and dem0nise a religion. hmmmm....
Aedes

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 02:01 pm
@Doobah47,
Doobah47 wrote:
I'd say that belief in the possibility of 'truth' is the most damaging philosophy.
Ok, you've given one example, though it's hard to say that this results from a 'philosophy of truth' per se, as opposed to just premature closure on an evidence-based epistemology.
boagie

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 03:40 pm
@saiboimushi,
saiboimushi wrote:
Dang, this is a difficult topic for me. I'm not sure what to put to down as a deleterious philosophy, since the very idea of what is deleterious presupposes yet another philosophy. The most obvious candidate for me is "Naziism," if one can call that a philosophy. Yet to say that Naziism is harmful is already to have in mind a definition of "harmful," which in turn rests upon an assumption of what is beneficial. Destroying an entire race of people is probably an evil thing to do--most if not all of us would agree on this point. But does our agreement rest on philosophical grounds? In other words, do we know that genocide is bad? Or do we merely believe that it is bad because our common culture tells us as much?

The same thing goes for racism and the philosophies that justify it. Is racism bad? Very likely it is. But do we know that it is bad, or are we just as ignorant as those who defend it and participate in it? If the proposition "racism is bad" is true, then our faith in this proposition is a true belief. However, while it appears self-evident that true beliefs are better than false beliefs, if we are entrenched in either kind, we have no way of knowing which is which.

It would seem, then, that the judgement of particular philosophies can only be made from the standpoint of a meta-philosophy. But how can we determine which philosophy transcends all others, and thus is truly meta?

saiboimushi,Smile

Actually racism is a disconnect, it is seeing others not as like yourself but as different, generally inferior. The opposite of racism is human compassion, the recognition of a self not unlike yourself in others. To be racist is to be disconnected from your own humanity, to see others largely as objects of your displeasure. A man who is racist, or a man who enjoys torturing small animals does not cease to be human, for this is a possiablity innate to us all. It is rather the disconnect I spoke of, temporally being out of touch with what it is to be human, to be, even if temporally, a psychopath. Well it is true to some extent that context defines, we must remember it was our humanity that formed these societies that we might escape the amoral reality of nature, and thus become more human. The racist still lives in the jungle, an amoral creature in and of himself.

Ah yes, private property! Forged by Satan himself!Sad
urangutan

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 04:28 am
@boagie,
Philosophy is not the condensing of belief into knowledge
Philosophy is not there to oppose belief
Philosophy is not just knowledge
I do not know what philosophy is

You can tie Nietzche to Naziism, Manson to the occult or God to sacrifice but it doesn't matter what I have read, how I have lived or to what I have listened too, I cannot blame you for my lot.
ronsher gangwar

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 12:07 am
@urangutan,
:pWinkVery HappySurprised:rolleyes::cool::eek:SmileSad:confused:
philosophy is all about following the weirdest thought in mind.... people say all squares are rectangles but all rectangles are not squares..... that all bible is philosophy but not all philosophy are bible.... i disagree!! there is nothing like a damaging philosophy like hot water may damage or hurt and cold may still damage or hurt but can never be unacceptable in any season... both are called but with no different names.... we live in dream where we we all play our roles and that's how it must go on.... change is cause and causality of constant fighting between human thoughts and nature corresponds to the accumulation of these thoughts positively as well as negatively.... we live in a dynamic world and ironically unconsciously..... the direction of our progress has astrayed we we were supposed to help out "ourselves" jump out of the dimensions we live for and within.
0 Replies

Doobah47

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 03:29 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Ok, you've given one example, though it's hard to say that this results from a 'philosophy of truth' per se, as opposed to just premature closure on an evidence-based epistemology.

Perhaps I should say that when gathering support for a cause, zealots/politicians/philosophers tend to present an opinion and demand an inference of truth in that argument; the perpetrator may very well never insinuate that there be any 'truth' in the opinion, it is left for the following to decide upon a truth value. So in this case it is less a politiical philosophy, nor a philosophy of truth, but a part of philosophy of language, one which also enters a metaphysical/psychological philosophy.

To say "x exists" is to infer truth in language and truth in perception; my point is that our language structure is definite when the reality of the relation between language/perception and reality is always inabsolute, thus indefinite.
0 Replies

Marat phil

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 12:09 pm
@shmikky,
My "TOP 3" :

1. Christianity (has killed Roman empire & antique innocence )
2. Nazism (Holocaust and war crimes in Eastern Europe)
3. Communism (Destruction of economy and culture of Russia)
kennethamy

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 12:12 pm
@Marat phil,
Marat;148272 wrote:
My "TOP 3" :

1. Christianity (has killed Roman empire & antique innocence )
2. Nazism (Holocaust and war crimes in Eastern Europe)
3. Communism (Destruction of economy and culture of Russia)

Those are not philosophies. The first is a religion (and and ideology).
The other two are political movements (and ideologies).
Marat phil

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 12:29 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;148274 wrote:
Those are not philosophies. The first is a religion (and and ideology).
The other two are political movements (and ideologies).

1. Philosophies of "National exclusiveness"
2. Hitler's racial theory
3. Marx's economic theory
kennethamy

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 12:42 pm
@Marat phil,
Marat;148284 wrote:
1. Philosophies of "National exclusiveness"
2. Hitler's racial theory
3. Marx's economic theory

So????????....................
Marat phil

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 12:52 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;148295 wrote:
So????????....................

[SIZE="4"]It were attempts to construct paradise on the Earth. The best philosophy is free development. Sense of history of our Era this expectation of the Second Coming. We should save simply status quo[/SIZE]. :Glasses:
kennethamy

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 12:55 pm
@Marat phil,
Marat;148299 wrote:
It were attempts to construct paradise on the Earth. The best philosophy is free development. Sense of history of our Era this expectation of the Second Coming. We should save simply status quo. :Glasses:

No wonder you call yourself, Marat. Watch out for Charlotte.
0 Replies