what's your favorite ad.,can you describe it to us?

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 09:21 am
Can you describe an advertisement that you like most ? or Laughing
your opinions toward the ad.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 40,476 • Replies: 53
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 11:50 am
I love the liquor/beer ads on tv. They are always funny, well written and take the most chances.
My favourite at the moment is for a Rum company, it makes fun of our busy lifestlyles and captures the moments in Jamaican time.
A total gridlock in traffic and trying to find a parking space for a boat, Is your mother proud of you????
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 11:57 am
I like those ones too. My wife's family is West Indian, and we just howl when we see them.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 12:04 pm
Right now I like the Cheerios ad where the little boy comes into his parents bedroom at daybreak with bowls of cereal. He says, "You've gotta take some of that cholesterol off of you." Then you see the father sitting on the side of the bed eating the cereal and he says to his son, which I really like, "This is very thoughtful of you. Very early but very thoughtful."
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 12:33 pm
Do you remember the commercial from a few years ago, Shoppers Drug Mart I think, where a woman is all dressed up, made up as an opera singer, then she gets up on stage and screams for ever. I loved that commercial. Wish I'd taped it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 12:38 pm
stanfordinterview- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

Interesting question. Are you doing this for a school project? Your A2K "handle" made me think that you were asking this for a class.
0 Replies

Bugger20

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 06:31 am
I love the Molson Canadian ads, those are the best! too bad their beers suck..
0 Replies

user

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 08:25 am
Oh ya Bugger20 those ads are pretty funny.
I liked that one with the golf tournament.
Well just as Ceili mentioned beer ads are pretty often really funny.
Unfortunately thinking about this way of advertising reveals the catch in that kind of ads as those brewing companies try to make us think drinking beer makes you popular ending up having a big party with lots of hot girls...oh but that's getting too off-topic
0 Replies

Cinderwolf

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 11:20 pm
one of my favoriet commercials has a bunch of plant managers desperatly trying to gain back control of some computor operated manufacturing robots that have gone bezerk. One of the painting robot arms starts wrighting on the door of a car, S - U - K - I. the Managers are very perplexed. The screen cuts out to a lady speaking another language with subtitles "SUKI, SUKI, time for supper". you see a 10 year old asian girl working on her computor "ok mom, just a second" I cant remember what that was about but it was really funny.

Its rare but I also really like commmercials that manage to tell a little story and do it well. One car commercial i really like shows a driver in a desperate hurry with cut in sceens suggesting he is late for his own wedding. but at the end when he opens the door you see the bride at the alter with another man. both the music and filming are very well done. Another one that i really like and think is amazing at packing so much of a story it packs into a 30 second spot is a levis jeans commmercial. it starts out with a car chase filmed in the usual action movie style, a car is being chased by a truck. the car pulls into a allyway and the truck drives into the distance. we see a guy and a very pretty girl push the car off the peir and into the water. The Girl says something to the guy in french. he runs and dives off the peir towards the sinking car. crawling inside he digs around under the seat and grabs something. the last sceen we see the guy and girl walking down a dark street, in his back pocket is a english/french translation dictionary. The filming and especially the music are very well done.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 11:25 pm
The beer commercials are the best. "I love ya man." :-D
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 12:30 pm
The Mountain Dew commercial where the guy forgot it on the trunk of a car. So he turns his car around speeds towards it, hits some boxes the car flips and he grabs the can out of a guy who was about to drink it. I love that commercial. I also love Mountain Dew.

I love the Citi card commercials about having someone use your card to spend spend spend. The middle aged man lip syncing to a teenage girl what she used the card for. She bought a leather bostea because "it lifts and separates." Or the older woman who is cleaning the pool while she mimics the country bumpkin who used her card that laugh at the end is so funny.

And those Juicy Fruit commercials when people hid and pop out of the secenarey to steal the juicy fruit. Or the pinata who awakes to get it back. Funny.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 12:47 pm
I like the Miller Lite commercial where the two babes wound up mud wrestling and ripping each others clothes off. Tastes great! Less filling!

I'm sure all the horny wimmen in here love that relatively new Gap commercial. You know the one.

There's a brand new one I just saw yesterday, for Amazon I think, that uses that 80's tune "New Toy" by Lene Lovich, that caught my attention.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 01:07 pm
I love all the AFLAC ads with the duck! Very Happy
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 01:54 pm
Go here:

http://superbowl.ifilm.com/?sctn=collections&pg=superbowl2003

Click on "Budweiser: Instant Replay".
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 02:48 pm
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 03:22 pm
The one with the baby in a high chair, whizzing around the room by a stretchy cheese pizza.

It was a terrible commercial though. Nobody remembers what brand of pizza it was, which is sort of the point of advertising.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 06:37 pm
Most ads annoy me but one that made me smile was an aussie one for the amber nectar.

man and woman in bed doing the deed, after they get dressed and as he's about to leave she offers him a beer from the fridge to which he replies, jeez I cant take his beer he's my best mate.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 12:20 am
Just saw one for Miller that I like a great deal.

A man in a crowded city at rush hour falls forward. People are mostly dressed for the office. One person falls and against another, who falls against another, causing him to fall, etc, etc, in a domino effect that goes through stores, into the street, into other buidings. Entire buildings of people are falling like dominoes, many in funny fashion. In one shot, a fellow falls forward into a chair, flips over the back of the chair, and hits the next guy with the soles of his shoes as he flips over.

This domino effect goes on until it enters a bar. A young man, dressed in jeans and simple tee shirt, simply steps aside and the domino effect abruptly ends. The young man's beer is Miller. Simple message-for people who want to depart from the crowd.

It is interesting for several reasons. It seems to be a departure from the latest Miller commercials, which feature a sixtyish, crew cut ex-Marine type looking down on his neighbors who he feels do not measure up to him, masculine-wise. Those commercials amaze me, and I am surprised Miller ran them.

First, how many beer companies want to aim for the retired sixties market and leave the young and middle aged to their competitors? Most people drink a lot more in their twenties and thirties than they do later in life.

Second, super macho beer commercials went out in the seventies with a disastrous Schlitz campaign. The Schlitz campaign might well have been the worst in history, sales-wise. It showed such things as a wild mountain man looking at the camera saying such things as "you want to take away my Schlitz? " Turning to his pet mountain lion, the mountain man says, "Take a look at your lunch".

Another Schlitz commercial showed a waitress in a working class bar full of construction workers. Sitting on the laps of the rough men, she says, "You want to take away their Schlitz? These guys are going to make you a supporting leg of the interstate!"

The result of thses macho ads? In just a few months, Schlitz declined an astounding 33% in sales!! Once challenging Bud and Miller's, Schlitz never really has recovered from this disastrous advertising campaign.

Since that time, except for lite beer commercials, (which needs some "macho-ing up" due to the nature of the product), regular beer commercial have switched to campaigns that show beer as a drink to be shared with friends in a pleasant setting. "Here's to good friends, tonight is kind of special", like Lowenbrau did it.

Perhaps Miller got fooled by the Coors commercials showing young people getting rowdy at football games, etc. But even those were not super macho in the threatening sense-just sort of a let's-party-and-raise-a-little-hell type sense.

The Miller ex-Marine type was a throwback to an unsuccessful past. I am surprised he lasted that long.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 12:29 am
One of the most memorable commercials is from years ago. A group of convicts sits in a crowded prison cafeteria. Upon putting a fork to his mouth, one of the cons starts loudly banging his cup on the table, steadily yelling, 'Alka-Setzer! Alka-Seltzer!"

Of course, the other cons pick up on it, and soon, the enitire prison cafeteria is rhthmically hollering "Alka-Seltzer! Alka-Seltzer!" while banging their cups and stomping their feet.

The inevitability of a riot breaking out is apparent. Of course, that is where the commercial ends. Very Happy
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 02:02 am
There's an Asian bank commercial here I always get a chuckle out of.

There is one British man at a restaurant dining table along with four or five Chinese gentlemen. The narrator says something along the lines of "In England it is considered an insult if you do not finish all of your food, but in China you are questioning your hosts generosity if you do". While the narrator is talking, a cook brings out a small eel wiggling in a plastic bag for the Brit's approval. Then you see him eating pieces of chopped eel over rice in a bowl. The elder Chinese host at the table looks concerned when the Brit finishes his serving, so he waves and the cook brings out a large wiggling eel for approval. The Brit, not wishing to insult his Chinese hosts, just barely finishes this second larger bowl without bursting. The Chinese host is not pleased. The final scene shows three cooks wrestling the eel that ate Kansas out for the Brit's approval, and the look of dispair on his face.
0 Replies