Humanity !!!WOW!!!

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 10:39 am
I as a buddhist try to be an altruist to the best of my ability. I try to see the best in people and try to accept the human race as it is and not as I would have it.

But people as of late have been rather a dissapointment to me. Why is it that intelegence being the factor that sets us appart from the animals, and has allowed us to rise to this level of untouchable on the food chain, goes so unvalued by the vast majority of the human race? I'm not only speaking of myself here (and humanitys seeming undervaluation of me) but of the race as a whole. We seem to think that strength, power or social acceptance is what brought us to the top instead of our minds. A lion most social of a cats wouldnt hesatate to eat the most IN(socialy speaking of humans. Obama with his cabenet of politicans would fall into the same class as justin timberlake in the realm of the lion, and mike tyson would lose the match as well. So what is it that kept us from falling prey to the lovely lion. Our intelegence for starters.

These people, dim witted as they may be, (as in the case of a man with downs syndrome some compassion is indeed nessasary), have bastardized themselves and all of our ancestors with their complete devaluation of intellgenece in a micro, macro, meso and metacosmic scale. All of them have fallen victim to the delusion that no world but theirs exists. This inherently narssistic tendencey within the human species (especialy the 1st world one) will be our undoing.

And the devaluation of intelegence is only the begining of the evolutionary herseys that take place on a daily basis within the human social structure. A complete wholesale devaluation of humanity is taking place within our social structure. It seems the only thing that matters is money. And this will also be our undoing.

As a person that places no value on money, due to the fact that happiness is an internal attitude not and external aquisition. I as such hold no value in a social setting. Sad but true. I pray for the welfare of these hopelessly ignorant beings known as humans and hope that someday we will rouse from our lethargy and assertain the true nature and value of what it is we are. It may take a nuke or two for that to happen (unfortuneately).

Can I get a wittness???

Hope so!!!

Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svha

Peace love and insight.

Vajrasattva
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,050 • Replies: 23
No top replies

jgweed

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 10:46 am
@vajrasattva,
One does not have to be a Buddhists, or even religious, to be concerned with the modern age in which we live, the debasement of our educational institutions, a lack of seriousness amongst the young, and a growing intellectual self-indulgent point of view.
0 Replies

manored

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:30 am
@vajrasattva,
vajrasattva;90341 wrote:

But people as of late have been rather a dissapointment to me. Why is it that intelegence being the factor that sets us appart from the animals, and has allowed us to rise to this level of untouchable on the food chain, goes so unvalued by the vast majority of the human race? I'm not only speaking of myself here (and humanitys seeming undervaluation of me) but of the race as a whole. We seem to think that strength, power or social acceptance is what brought us to the top instead of our minds. A lion most social of a cats wouldnt hesatate to eat the most IN(socialy speaking of humans. Obama with his cabenet of politicans would fall into the same class as justin timberlake in the realm of the lion, and mike tyson would lose the match as well. So what is it that kept us from falling prey to the lovely lion. Our intelegence for starters.
I think people are just more emotional than they are intellectual, that is, they are more impressed by someone who can sing well or looks very good than by someone who is very smart. Sad but true =)

But I am under the impression the few who are more intellectual than emotional end up being pushed into command positions where they keep the race from self-destroying, but are also free to do whatever they want. I suspect this is why whenever there is a revolution the social situation of the country doesnt improves much.

vajrasattva;90341 wrote:

These people, dim witted as they may be, (as in the case of a man with downs syndrome some compassion is indeed nessasary), have bastardized themselves and all of our ancestors with their complete devaluation of intellgenece in a micro, macro, meso and metacosmic scale. All of them have fallen victim to the delusion that no world but theirs exists. This inherently narssistic tendencey within the human species (especialy the 1st world one) will be our undoing.
Indeed people seen to care too much about thenselves, have objectives in their lives that only concern thenselves. People's plan is to study, get a money wielding job and have a happy life with this money. But not everone can be rich, and not everone can have a money wielding job =) (money wielding as in: gives a lot of money)

vajrasattva;90341 wrote:

As a person that places no value on money, due to the fact that happiness is an internal attitude not and external aquisition. I as such hold no value in a social setting. Sad but true. I pray for the welfare of these hopelessly ignorant beings known as humans and hope that someday we will rouse from our lethargy and assertain the true nature and value of what it is we are. It may take a nuke or two for that to happen (unfortuneately).
I agree with this concept of happiness, it comes from inside. As long as whatever you are doing outside doesnt bores you to death (dont think many people locked away in dark rooms are happy) you can be happy.

Its not impossible for intellectuality to be valued though, if your ideas are good structured and strong enough to pierce the heads of those who enter in contact with you, they will come to respect you and be thankful to you for teaching then. My favorite (and actually only writer I know well) writer, Douglas Adams, became a fairly respected person just by writing good stories and making smart avaliations of the world.
richrf

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:55 am
@manored,
I accept things as they are, and rather than try to change it, or be displeased and unhappy with it, I try to figure out why it is so. I think things are exactly as they should be since there is no other.

However, I am no passive bystander. I take an active role in life in changing myself and helping others when I am asked. As for everyone else, I figure they will have to figure out their own life.

Rich
vajrasattva

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 01:16 pm
@vajrasattva,
The thing that gets me though is the fact that most people are just so ignorant of themselves and their own intelegence, and being in general for that matter. They do not value any faculty within themselves properly. This makes it hard for people like us to teach (not to mention understand) these individuals at all. Its a little depressing. And its not just intelegence. Objectively speaking I'm prety good looking (not ugly anyway) and I'm a prety good musician (I went on full ride to New England Conservatory) and these are is devalued as well due to the fact that I'm a starving artist (mostly by women unfortuneately). And whats worse is that people get angry with me having a proper self appraisal of myself (I'm egocentric regardless of my value of them). This leads me to believe that these individuals do not value themselves properly, or for the wrong reasons. I have every capacity to make tons of money but none of that is seen in the light of moneys absence, or so it seems.

The social human being seems only to be concerned with its own comfort hence the fact that "Nobody knows you when your down and out. Get your hands on a dollar again and everybody wants to be your long lost friend". But the positive thing about that is, if you look like you have money, people listen. So influence is prety easy to come by. And that allows people to see you for what you are money or not.
josh0335

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 01:27 pm
@vajrasattva,
Quote:
The social human being seems only to be concerned with its own comfort

Considering the vast majority of humans do not have basic comforts, it seems we haven't even got this basic thing right.
0 Replies

vajrasattva

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 09:08 am
@vajrasattva,
This I feel is due to the self centerd nature of the average human being. If we could all just get along, play nice and share our toys then the world would have its weath more evenly spread. Bill gates is worth billions and it only costs $30 a day to feed an african village. Then we mention the fact that 90% of the wealth of american society is held by 4% of the poulation.

"Nobody knows you when your down and out"
"Get your hands on a dollar again"
"Everybody wants to be your long lost friend"
- Eric Clapton

Thanks

Vajrasattva
GoshisDead

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 12:24 pm
@vajrasattva,
Is this somehow related to Catholicism WOW!!!? The Late George Carlin would be thrilled.
0 Replies

vajrasattva

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 12:26 pm
@vajrasattva,
It is

George Carlin Rocks
0 Replies

manored

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 01:53 pm
@richrf,
richrf;90359 wrote:
I accept things as they are, and rather than try to change it, or be displeased and unhappy with it, I try to figure out why it is so. I think things are exactly as they should be since there is no other.

However, I am no passive bystander. I take an active role in life in changing myself and helping others when I am asked. As for everyone else, I figure they will have to figure out their own life.

Rich
I think things cant be exactly as their should be, because they wouldnt change then =)

vajrasattva;90376 wrote:
The thing that gets me though is the fact that most people are just so ignorant of themselves and their own intelegence, and being in general for that matter. They do not value any faculty within themselves properly. This makes it hard for people like us to teach (not to mention understand) these individuals at all. Its a little depressing. And its not just intelegence. Objectively speaking I'm prety good looking (not ugly anyway) and I'm a prety good musician (I went on full ride to New England Conservatory) and these are is devalued as well due to the fact that I'm a starving artist (mostly by women unfortuneately). And whats worse is that people get angry with me having a proper self appraisal of myself (I'm egocentric regardless of my value of them). This leads me to believe that these individuals do not value themselves properly, or for the wrong reasons. I have every capacity to make tons of money but none of that is seen in the light of moneys absence, or so it seems.
There are many things in life that are nonsensical to both hilarious and irritating levels, and humans are one of those. We can only learn to deal with us =)

The thing is, we want to understand another humans, but a living thing cannot understand a living thing that is as complex as itself, so we fail to understand another humans. I like to think each human has an unique form of mind operation that no others can understand, hence why things that seem easy to me are a nightmare to others, while there are some emotions, such as jealously, that I just cannot fathom. Why fell hatred against someone who is merely better than you, or in a better situation, at something? Because I fell very little jealousness (I must fell it to some level, its an human emotion after all) I just cannot understand jealous people.

josh0335;90380 wrote:
Considering the vast majority of humans do not have basic comforts, it seems we haven't even got this basic thing right.
The desire for comfort is the cause for the lack of comfort of others, its easier to steal than to produce =)

Aka: Its not that we suck, its just that we hinder each other. Being with other people can be a bless or a curse.
vajrasattva

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 04:27 pm
@manored,
manored;90700 wrote:
I like to think each human has an unique form of mind operation that no others can understand

This I agree with but the sad thing is that so many people fail to realize this about themselves. If they did they would be so much less prone to jelousy within themselves. And not only that they would see the same within each of their fellows. I think that the vast majority of the problems that arise within humanity are caused by a lack of insight. And frankly the amount of insight that humanity has these days is appauling. If we knew ourselves we would be better able to know each other.
manored

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 12:26 pm
@vajrasattva,
vajrasattva;90722 wrote:
manored;90700 wrote:
I like to think each human has an unique form of mind operation that no others can understand

This I agree with but the sad thing is that so many people fail to realize this about themselves. If they did they would be so much less prone to jelousy within themselves. And not only that they would see the same within each of their fellows. I think that the vast majority of the problems that arise within humanity are caused by a lack of insight. And frankly the amount of insight that humanity has these days is appauling. If we knew ourselves we would be better able to know each other.
I agree with that, I even think that the amount of people with psychologic problems we have these days is proof of it =)

I understand what such problems are caused by inner conflicts, wich are caused by lack of self-knowledge.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 02:19 pm
@vajrasattva,
You hit the nail on the head there Manored.
0 Replies

vajrasattva

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 01:21 pm
@vajrasattva,
Psychological problems seem to be the most misunderstood of aliments in the modern world. And thoes who have these mental illnesses seem to me to be the most open minded, intelegent and understanding of indviduals on the planet. They are also amongst the most insigtfull. This is probably due to the fact that when your mind hurts it is into your mind which to dig.
Caroline

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 01:39 pm
@vajrasattva,
Yes V. that is very well put and insightful, mental illness is in the brain, (obviously), so it is in the brain we much seek. Logic.
Thanks.
0 Replies

vajrasattva

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 01:45 pm
@vajrasattva,
i like V. I feel like im in a movie.

I know this because i work and live very closely with the mentaly ill. Due to the fact that I have a mental illness. So the amount of experience that i have with this is alot. And i have come to value my illness as a means to self knowledge.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 02:15 pm
@vajrasattva,
Alot of us have been there V. believe you me, I can tell ya, I've seen alot of people go nuts because of chemically induced drugs, it's an inbalance of the chemicals in the brain just like mental illness. But I'm not a doctor, are you? Pray tell.
0 Replies

manored

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 11:02 am
@vajrasattva,
vajrasattva;91383 wrote:
Psychological problems seem to be the most misunderstood of aliments in the modern world. And thoes who have these mental illnesses seem to me to be the most open minded, intelegent and understanding of indviduals on the planet. They are also amongst the most insigtfull. This is probably due to the fact that when your mind hurts it is into your mind which to dig.
I dont get whenever you mean that they are insightfull because their mental illness allows that, or that their mental illness is caused by their insightfullness. (Aka: The world is crazy, not then)
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 12:33 pm
@vajrasattva,
I've seen alot of people go nuts because of chemically induced drugs, it's an inbalance of the chemicals in the brain just like mental illness.

---------- Post added 09-19-2009 at 01:33 PM ----------

Ask a Doctor, he can tell ya.
manored

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 08:56 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;91916 wrote:
I've seen alot of people go nuts because of chemically induced drugs, it's an inbalance of the chemicals in the brain just like mental illness.

---------- Post added 09-19-2009 at 01:33 PM ----------

Ask a Doctor, he can tell ya.
I dont think ever mental illness is caused by chemical unbalance, it may just be that what we perceive as an illness is an extremely different way of thinking.

Another way to put it: Our brain and mind are one, if the brain is unbalanced, the mind is unbalanced, what also means that if the mind is unbalanced, the brain is unbalanced... a line of thinking can lead one to insanity.
0 Replies