the mentality of the mob

Zetherin

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 03:15 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;85177 wrote:
How does one define nerd, as opposed to intellectual? They certainly overlap, but they also differ greatly.

One can be an intellectual and be very charming and social. They can host parties and socialize with the guests without problems. A friend of mine has very little problem with maintain a near perfect GPA in hard science while publishing research papers and hosting parties. He engages with a wide variety of people from artists to typical frat guys (who often times are easier to get along with than you might think). I have heard him referred to as a 'really smart guy', but never a nerd. One can pursue intellectual activities and still be adventurous and social, it is all about balance. The problem is that 'nerds' are often escapists, they escape into whatever discipline to get away from an aspect of life that they fear or do not understand.

"Nerd" seems to be a social status descriptor, whereas "intellectual" does not (in general, at least). So, like you imply, people who are categorized as a "nerd" usually lack social skills and are more than likely castrated from most "normal" social circles. I'd say a "nerd" is a subset of "intellectual". One can be an "intellectual" and not a "nerd" (in other words, like you say, one can be social and still pursue intellectual endeavors), but all "nerds" are "intellectuals".

Basically, just make sure you get laid once a year and you won't drop into an undesirable subset like "nerd" or "geek" Smile
Zetetic11235

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 09:25 pm
@Zetherin,
I don't know if getting laid does it:), there are definitely some married men (that have children, so they get it some times) who would easily fall under the stereotypical 'nerd' category.
0 Replies

Psycobabble

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 11:40 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;85181 wrote:
"Nerd" seems to be a social status descriptor, whereas "intellectual" does not (in general, at least). So, like you imply, people who are categorized as a "nerd" usually lack social skills and are more than likely castrated from most "normal" social circles.

an undesirable subset like "nerd" or "geek" Smile

The term "geek" has a currency and value. In Australia we have a come to your home or office IT company called " Geeks 2 U ". Their whole add campaign consists of one minute of negative things about geeks....examples

We knew it was a bad idea to put you geek in goal at the footy final,
When our t shirts read "save the whale" yours read "save the Wookies"
While we skipped school, you skipped to school,...and etc etc for a minute.
Then the hook, "when you need someone to fix your computer, you know no one does it like a geek"....as I said there is currency in being a geek, and in regard to being aliented from the "opposing contradictory gender" (love that term, it's so fatally descriptive from either side of the fence) beauty marries money first and beauty as a last resort, plain and inteligent prospers over beautiful and dumb.

I am a geek with a malevolent persona and the physical strength of Hercules' brother, so I have never copped the nerd/geek stuff from the footy players and cave men, in fact as I think on it, only other geeks have harangued me for being one.
0 Replies

sparrowminded

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 03:30 am
@Zetetic11235,
How does any of that have anything to do with this thread? Maybe you're attempting to say that the nerdy types are the example of those who are losing the mob mentality? That could hold water, as this has been the case through history. The researchers, composers; authors, and thinkers in general have pretty much been "sociopathic" loners. You cite your popular friend as an exception, but he's young, and hasn't "fixed" on anything just yet.
On the other hand, this goes back to the classic distinction between being a man of letters, or a man of arms, and that goes all the way back to cave paintings.
Psycobabble

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 04:17 am
@sparrowminded,
sparrowminded;85294 wrote:
How does any of that have anything to do with this thread?

It doesn't, just an observation on nerds and geeks, I did not introduce them to the thread.
sparrowminded

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 04:45 am
@Psycobabble,
So, let's make a deal. You don't hijack the thread, and I won't introduce guns, music, politics or photography in this thread. We can each start new topics, or stick to this one.
Zetherin

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 10:05 am
@sparrowminded,
sparrowminded;85299 wrote:
So, let's make a deal. You don't hijack the thread, and I won't introduce guns, music, politics or photography in this thread. We can each start new topics, or stick to this one.

You can blame me, as I responded to Zetetic.

You're right, it really doesn't have much to do with the OP, I apologize.

Over and out.
0 Replies

Zetetic11235

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 06:53 pm
@jchai6,
And my post was (of course) in response (and directed to) to jchai6 and Hadad who did not respond.

There have been some interesting consequences of 'mob mentality'. I believe that the growing tendency towards it may incur some of the violent reactions ala Pekka Eric Auvinen. Just read his manifesto. Perhaps it also brings about the desires of those like Theodore John Kaczynski (the unibomber) or if not those of the modern Primitivists. I think most thinking people have some degree of distatse for the sort of cheap things and ideas that are produced by mob mentality(although they do not, for the most part, go nuts).
sneer

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:22 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;85457 wrote:
I believe that the growing tendency towards it may incur some of the violent reactions ala Pekka Eric Auvinen. Just read his manifesto.

well, manifesto of the nuts, as usual, is the manifesto of the nuts. Even if some theses are OK for thinking people. Such guy is a failure of humankind development and the nightmare of few parents.
sparrowminded

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 03:10 am
@sneer,
The subject here is mob mentality; not psycho killers. Much more in-depth studies are available here, about mob mentality:
Illumination: the Secret Religion - The Plot to Kill God More concisely, read under the heading on this page:
Illumination: the Secret Religion - The Secret History
"How 6,000 people can rule the world"
Those who run "The Old World Order" have studied the mob mentality very closely, and learned to manipulate it. That's how they rule the world. Every time you buy something, or engage in a "social network", or participate in the social competition of looking like you've attained some stature, you're participating in their plan of manipulation. That's why our manifesto writer had such a list of things he detested. Yes, he made that list, but offered no solutions, because he didn't think it through to that point. Only in that regard did he share anything in common with "the mob mentality". The mob, in this context, submits. The psycho killers rebel. Thinking people take a closer look, and read more from the links on those pages.
sneer

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 03:16 am
@sparrowminded,
sparrowminded;85497 wrote:
The subject here is mob mentality; not psycho killers.

you're right, of course. blame on us.

sparrowminded;85497 wrote:

"How 6,000 people can rule the world"

I have similar point of view.

Looking deeply into history of humankind, the fear was always a method of managing people. The method is well proven then, and is based on low-level instinct that causes people to avoid danger. Instincts are pretty easy to understand by analysis of animal behaviour, because social related issues dim the picture. So - analyzing the fear and freedom of the animal we discover the Zoo paradox: animals in the Zoo feel happy in general, because they have only little fear when comparing to natural environment. But their audience sees bars, ward, aquarium - that are symbols of enslavement! Think then back about humans: the authorities who rule humans, use the same instinct. Fear of God, army, poverty, police, tortures, even such nonsense like bad destiny after death, Jews, terrorists, illness, famine - all of this was used efficiently to rule humans. Why is that working so? Because this instinct is very high in hierarchy of all instincts (just after hunger, thirst, reactions against pain), remaining very little aware to most people.

Governments, churches, bosses - will always use the fear, because it's efficient and could be reached very easily. But it doesn't mean you may not extend your freedom in such relations, it could be easier as you think.
Do not fear.
sparrowminded

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 04:00 am
@sneer,
You are only guessing; grabbing snippets of thoughts from here and there, and expecting this to appear as a considered body of thought. Try starting here: Illumination: the Secret Religion - The Enigma of Existence "The enigma of Existence" I say again: thinking persons read further among the links on these pages.
sneer

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 04:10 am
@sparrowminded,
sparrowminded;85499 wrote:
You are only guessing; grabbing snippets of thoughts from here and there, and expecting this to appear as a considered body of thought. Try starting here: Illumination: the Secret Religion - The Enigma of Existence "The enigma of Existence" I say again: thinking persons read further among the links on these pages.

probably I'm not thinking person.
sneer

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 04:24 am
@sneer,
don't understand your aggression. accepting conspiracy theories is in my opinion part of mob mentality indeed. but...let me quote Justin:

"The staff members here work very hard to keep the conversations clean and peaceful and many of the members here also do the same. This isn't a barracks language forum, it's a philosophy forum that embraces peace and understanding even though we all come from different backgrounds, countries, religions, and educational levels. If you cannot hold a conversation peacefully and without bigotry, there are plenty of other forums for you to frequent, this will not be one of them."

sorry to others for breaking the thread, it was really not my fault neither intention.
Zetetic11235

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 09:40 am
@sneer,
So you are a believer in the goals of the New World Order, Sparrow? I hope you don't buy into any of Alex Jones' (such as the atrociously misinformed Zeitgeist movie) work, that would disappoint me. That site is very questionable (though there are a few good points they are mired in speculation), so I must ask you, why do you bring it up? Make your argument explicit.

Note: The 'existence enigma' is pseudoscience supported by weak philosophy and speculative leaps. I would be loath to take it seriously.
sparrowminded

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 03:40 am
@Zetetic11235,
I would assert that one is well to look in places like Alex Jones, just as one does well to have a close look at Al Jazeera. As with any media source, they are biased, but so is CNN; BBC; Fox and etc... One finds traces in all these places.

"Note: The 'existence enigma' is pseudoscience supported by weak philosophy and speculative leaps. I would be loath to take it seriously."
I've read every word on that site, and I'm keeping an open mind about it. The Meritocracy Party does in fact exist. Whoever is writing this stuff is very well studied. As of yet, I can't discern whether it's a group of college students having some fun, or if it really is the present day manifestation of the Gnostics, by whatever name.

I haven't seen the movie "Zeitgeist", but it is clear to me that mankind certainly needs to adopt a new paradigm. Our current system is in collapse. Historically, this can only lead to conflict. We are currently in the most decisive period in human history.

I talk to intelligent people from all over the world, every working day, as a cab driver in Las Vegas. 'Most anyone who knows what events and social conditions are showing them are very doubtful about anything good happening in the next decade or so. In America, many States are either threatening or have already filed for secession. In the Middle East, Israel and Iran are preparing for conflict as if there is no other way for that to go. In Europe, many countries want to renounce the Euro and reclaim their fiscal autonomy. There is more, and more, and more. At every level, and in every case, there are divisions that revert quickly to "mob mentality". At this second, we are on the brink of an event that could well throw most of the civilized world into anarchy. Familiarize yourself with this little piece:

UN And WHO Charged With Intent To Commit Massmurder ? KOPYME This was indeed run by Alex Jones, but it was confirmed in 4 other places. This involves Baxter International. Had this batch of H5N1 virus not been isolated in Austria, we would be looking at upwards of 3 billion dead today. In spite of this, Baxter is the primary contractor for the H1N1 vaccine. Rightfully so, since they patented it last year. What? How could they patent the vaccine, when the virus wasn't "discovered" until April of this year? Could this have anything to do with the last G-8 conference? Napolitano and the Science Czar both came out of that with terms like "useless feeders" and "population REDUCTION" (NOT population control, mind you). The first test subjects were injected with the vaccine about a week ago. No adverse effects, yet. Recall the last time this was tried, in '76. The vaccine caused more deaths from menengitis than the "pandemic" caused. CDC wants to distribute 180M doses this time.
Next is a bothersome little issue that appeared awhile back:

Foreign Embassies Urged to Stockpile Local Currencies A devaluation of the dollar would not be a good thing right now. These are the big things we're dealing with right now, and they could well be the catalyst that brings "mob mentality" to a street near you, very soon.

Mob mentality is the subject here. These are the current social phenomena that make it a poignant topic, right now.

Mod - Please space your paragraphs!
0 Replies