Carlos Mencia

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 09:39 pm
Carlos Mencia, if you know him what do you think?

Is he going too far?

Is he right on the subjects he addresses?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,509 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 10:03 pm
@philosopherqueen,
Half of his jokes are rips from other comedians, and the other half just aren't that funny. I just think Comedy Central wanted a Latin Dave Chappelle.
philosopherqueen

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 10:07 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Are you sure your not a comedian?

I liked the Dave Chapelle thing, that was really good.

Plus, it is a rip off I do agree.
0 Replies

Wizzy

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 04:09 pm
@philosopherqueen,
I think he's fine, not a hugh fan or anything.. Too me, it's hard for a comedian to go to far.. Personally I belive that you should be allowed to say whatever you like, if somebody don't like what you say, they have the right to say that too.. Nothing should be banned to say to anybody or about anybody or anything
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 03:33 pm
@Wizzy,
Using humor to break down racial barriers is effective. From Red Foxx, to Richard Pryor, to Eddie Murphey to Dave Chappelle - all have used humor to make a joke out of the patently silly racial divisions and stereotypes. Carlos Mencia does the same, though, with the jokes of other comedians.

Sometimes, people get a little uncomfortable with such edgy skits and routines. But that's the point, I think. If race makes someone uncomfortable, for whatever reason, making a joke of it all seems to help people become more comfortable. And given the process and tactics of comedians like Chappelle, Pryor and all the others Mencia gets jokes from, I think the results are as desired.
krazy kaju

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 10:42 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Dunno, I don't like Carlos Mencia that much. He's funny, but I personally prefer others like Nick Swardson, Dmitri Martin (I thought he was cool before everyone else, I swear), Dane Cook, Mitch Hedberg, Dave Chappelle, Ron White ("tater salad"), George Carlin, etc.
VideCorSpoon

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 01:45 pm
@krazy kaju,
To quote Chris Griffin, "Watching Carlos Menica only reinforces the stereotype that Carlos Mencia is funny."
0 Replies

Deftil

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 04:44 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Half of his jokes are rips from other comedians, and the other half just aren't that funny. I just think Comedy Central wanted a Latin Dave Chappelle.

What Didymos said. Mencia is not so funny imo. Not sure how he got his own show. Every once in a while he's made me laugh though.
Zetetic11235

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 12:41 pm
@Deftil,
I think mencia's biggest problem is that he isn't funny. It is almost an affront to decency that he be given a show. Go watch Bill Hicks or Andrew Dice Clay(realize that he is not serious) or Carlin or Chapelle or Mr.Show with David Cross and Bob Odenkirk, but man, don't waste your time on Mencia or Dane Cook until you have seen what good comedy is and can make an informed judgement. Go look around and see whats out there

Here are a few ones I like
From Mr.Show:
YouTube - Mr. Show - John Baptiste Philouza(parody of Amadeaus)
YouTube - Mr. Show The New Ku Klux Klan
YouTube - Mr. Show - Rap the Musical
If you like Carlin and Lewis Black, you will probably like...Bill Hicks
YouTube - Bill Hicks on Marketing
YouTube - Bill Hicks - Play From Your ******* Heart
YouTube - Bill Hicks - You are free to do as we tell you.
(I am not really a big fan, his views seem pretty simplistic most of the time, if I wanted to hear preaching I would go to church)

I prefer Andy Kaufman
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:14 pm
@philosopherqueen,
philosopherqueen wrote:
Carlos Mencia, if you know him what do you think?

Is he going too far?

Is he right on the subjects he addresses?

Does he go too far?

He makes his living repeating stereotypes that have been cliche for 20 years.

Blacks like watermelon?!

Asians can't drive?!

Mexicans fit eight of themselves in a car?!

You don't say, Carlos!
Victor Eremita

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 09:27 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
I don't usually watch Mencia, but there was one segment in an episode of Mind of Mencia; it was Peter Boyle doing his grumpy old man act. It was very amusing the way he said it:

Boyle: You know what pisses me off? Woman who like men with hair. I came into this world bald, and I'm leaving that way. Respect that b****es! (runs hand over bald head)

Boyle: I'm tired of all this b****in' about athletes using steroids. If these morons wanna shrink their family jewels, just to hit a couple of extra homeruns, I say let them! It's not like I have to suffer the consequences! I get to watch good sports, and I still have my huge balls.

Boyle: What pisses me off is when people think old people are grumpy. F***k you!

... and it wasn't even Mencia; so nah, he's not much of a comedian.
0 Replies