What's on TV

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 07:16 pm
Okay, what's your favorite show and why?

I need something to watch regularly, I don't get to watch much tv nowadays and i'm ready to rejoin the world of T.V.!!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,753 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Aristoddler

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 08:43 pm
@philosopherqueen,
Hell's Kitchen.

As a chef, it appeals to me. Plus my wife gets in a knot when she hears me yelling obscenities at the television, because I can't figure out how some people get the title of chef without knowing how to make a basic beschemel sauce...or overcook beef wellington...I really don't get that one. I mean, c'mon, it's not rocket science, it's cooking. You wrap the meat in the pastry, rub it with the eggs, and place it in the oven until the pastry is done, which means it's medium-rare and perfect to serve. How can you screw that up?
Yes, chefs really do swear like drunken Newfie Sailors when we're mad, by the way.
0 Replies

Justin

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 09:37 pm
@philosopherqueen,
About the best tv you can watch is no tv. lol. Once in a while I'll browse through channels and end up on Bazaar Foods on the travel channel. I like that one.
Pythagorean

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 12:14 am
@Justin,
Even though it has finished its run I would have to go with DeadWood. Why? Because of the realism. I likes me some realism! I also love westerns so that is another part of it. Smile
Vasska

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 02:17 am
@Pythagorean,
Show that died, but I watch anyways from time to time;

Dead Like Me - Fun in every way and has unique humor. Don't base everything on the somewhat wooden acting in the pilot.
Invader Zim - Jhonen Vasquez is God, Animation and jokes are great. Series got canceled because of the excessive violence. But what did the expect from the writer of; Jonny The Homicidal Manic.

Show that have not died:
Dexter - Well Jeff Lindsay's books were real bad, but the series is amazing. It follows the series killer Dexter, who only kills killers. Both seasons are great, but please get the DVD-version, many TV-channels censor it, although it does not use any excessive violence.
My Name Is Earl - So silly and stupid it's brilliant.
The IT Crowd - For IT guys only, but great with references.
Family Guy/South Park - I'm bad that way.

Anyhow TV seasons are starting next fall again.
Wizzy

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 07:32 am
@Vasska,
Just as Vasska I watch:
Dexter - love it! A serialkiller with morals, how can that go wrong? Wink
Family Guy/South Park/(Simpsons) - It's satire man, gotta love satire.. How they make fun of everything and everybody.. LOVE IT!

I also like:
Breaking Bad - About a 50year old chemestry teacher who struggle to support his family. He findsout that he got lungcancer and he will die, so he starts cooking crystal-meth to get them some cash before he goes bye-bye.. Great series which gets you thinking of your own mortality really...

Used to like:
Prison Break - when Peter Stormare (Swede) where the mob boss, I had to watch it.. But it kind of lost it's way after season two...
Vasska

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 12:51 pm
@Wizzy,
Wizzy wrote:
Just as Vasska I watch:
Dexter - love it! A serialkiller with morals, how can that go wrong? Wink
Family Guy/South Park/(Simpsons) - It's satire man, gotta love satire.. How they make fun of everything and everybody.. LOVE IT!

I also like:
Breaking Bad - About a 50year old chemestry teacher who struggle to support his family. He findsout that he got lungcancer and he will die, so he starts cooking crystal-meth to get them some cash before he goes bye-bye.. Great series which gets you thinking of your own mortality really...

Used to like:
Prison Break - when Peter Stormare (Swede) where the mob boss, I had to watch it.. But it kind of lost it's way after season two...

Breaking Bad did not do it for me for some reason. Prison Break was cool for the first season.

Second season was only enjoyable because of great acting by Robbert Knepper (Theodore Bagwell,the pedophile). I watched him later in Hitman, but man i will always see him as Theodore.

Season 3 was nothing much, and i stopped watching after about 5 episodes. Finished watching it because it was on 13 episodes long. But they really failed at the storyline and everything is so hasty.

Season 4 won't be on my list, unless they change the concept and kill of everyone except Micheal Scofield.

Simpsons I still watch, but man did it change in the 19th season. For the better must be said.

Peter Stormare is a great actor. Liked him in Constantine as the Devil too (Despite the movie was real bad).
Wizzy

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 01:49 pm
@Vasska,
I liked Stormare in Armageddon as the russian cosmonaut.. "THIS IS HOW WE DO IN RUSSIA!" *Starts beating the instruments with a wrench* Wink

Haven't seen Constantine because I heard it was a flop..
Vasska

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 12:58 am
@Wizzy,
Wizzy wrote:
I liked Stormare in Armageddon as the russian cosmonaut.. "THIS IS HOW WE DO IN RUSSIA!" *Starts beating the instruments with a wrench* Wink

Haven't seen Constantine because I heard it was a flop..

Movie is a waste of time, but the acting of Stormare is good. Bad thing he only appears in the last 10 to 20 minutes as the devil.
Rivelli

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 05:13 pm
@Vasska,
House because I can relate a lot with the main character, House. If you haven't seen it and would like to, you should start with season 1.
0 Replies

de Silentio

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 06:01 pm
@Vasska,
Quote:

Simpsons I still watch, but man did it change in the 19th season. For the better must be said.

Really? I thought the Simpson has been going down hill the past 3 or 4 years. I didn't much like the newest season. It seems like their moving away from their social satire motif.

However, the newest season did start to get better towards the end.

As for TV, I enjoy Lost but you have to start at season one. The HBO series Rome was enjoyable (but I'm a Roman/Greek fantic). My Name is Earl is a good comedy. I also like House, but, the show has the same basic premise in all episodes.
Vasska

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 04:00 am
@de Silentio,
de Silentio wrote:
Really? I thought the Simpson has been going down hill the past 3 or 4 years. I didn't much like the newest season. It seems like their moving away from their social satire motif.

However, the newest season did start to get better towards the end.

As for TV, I enjoy Lost but you have to start at season one. The HBO series Rome was enjoyable (but I'm a Roman/Greek fantic). My Name is Earl is a good comedy. I also like House, but, the show has the same basic premise in all episodes.

Well in the beginning I was thinking like; what is this? but when the season hit around the 10 episodes it changed for the better. The story lines are better and have more moral, the jokes are timed better and everything feels a little older. Some characters have made a whole change, Nelson is not the Hah-Hah guy anymore, Bart is less of a brat, Lisa is not so sweet anymore etc.

I found the simpsons going downhill but season 19 might save it from falling down.
0 Replies

raven phil

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 04:06 pm
@philosopherqueen,
not being funny here but do you really need a thread to tell you what to watch on tv call me crazy but do you not have a mind of your own? sorry i find this thread stupid for those who perhaps find fulfillment in soaps
BassPlayer

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 08:19 pm
@raven phil,
raven wrote:
not being funny here but do you really need a thread to tell you what to watch on tv call me crazy but do you not have a mind of your own? sorry i find this thread stupid for those who perhaps find fulfillment in soaps

This thread, the way I see it, is for suggestions of good shows to watch, and at the same time telling other people what you, yourself, like to watch. Television has nothing to do with having a "mind of your own." What if someone wanted suggestions of what brand of chocolate is the best? Should they waste their time trying every brand ever created, or ask others for their opinions and narrow it down to just a few? Maybe that's a bad metaphor, but either way, your comment was unfounded.

Anyway, my favorites have gotta' be the Simpsons [Fox] (at least the older seasons -- it really has goten worse over the years -- check out seasons 7-11), Psych and Monk [USA Network] (detective comedies, or, rather., dramadies Wink), and Bones [Fox]. Psych and Monk summer shows, so new episodes are gonna' start pretty soon.
raven phil

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 03:57 am
@BassPlayer,
ok i give you that perhaps i was a little sweeping ,
so good tv well i am here in the UK so we get different stuff ....comedy cannot beat black adder all series
factual try to catch a programme called a year in tibet made by the bbc quite an eye opener about the reality of life in tibet , you could try utube for clips.
spiritual there was a excellent drama called afterlife by itv you can utube for clips one of the best i have seen regarding this subject .
ok so now am i in the good books?
much peace
Vasska

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 01:59 pm
@raven phil,
raven wrote:

raven wrote:
ok i give you that perhaps i was a little sweeping ,
so good tv well i am here in the UK so we get different stuff ....comedy cannot beat black adder all series
factual try to catch a programme called a year in tibet made by the bbc quite an eye opener about the reality of life in tibet , you could try utube for clips.
spiritual there was a excellent drama called afterlife by itv you can utube for clips one of the best i have seen regarding this subject .
ok so now am i in the good books?
much peace

It's about shows you would recommend to others on the forum because they are good and amusing in their own ways. It's not so much about your local TV-show that you like or about every show you've ever watched. Remember; All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

British TV is not bad (quite good actually in comparison with Dutch TV) but most of the humour is lost on me. Black Adder, Monty Phyton, Year in Tibet and Afterlife all did not did the trick for me. The IT Crowd and the American version of the British The Office however did.
LouSalome

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 02:11 pm
@Vasska,
If I may join the discussion (I figure this is as good as any point to start), I have had the misfortune of watching more television since I have graduated.

I watch "House" which is very formulaic. But you don't really watch it for the plotline with the patients--what you watch it for is the interpersonal communications and the witty barbs.

"Monk" is a wonderful program because it is (regardless of the very different character of Monk himself) very much going back to the roots of the mystery genre. It isn't gory and it has humorous aspects. However, the best thing about "Monk" is that it shows a person who has a mental illness and is able to do wonderful things.

Finally, I watch "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" because I like the complex character of Detective Goren. He also has a relation to mental illness--various members of his family are schizophrenic and it is questionable as to his own state. He's a wonderful character and detective.
Farthender

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 07:56 pm
@LouSalome,
Oh boy. One of my favorite shows, though it's been canceled, is Arrested Development. That show was very funny, with many recurring jokes and storylines spanning many episodes an overlapping. It's extremely funny if you like to laugh at awkwardness caused by misunderstandings.

I also like House. Sure, it's formulaic, but I just can't get enough of House's ******* character.

The last show I would mention is Law & Order: SVU. It's a pretty good criminal drama show. The diverse characters on it really provide an interesting backdrop for the stories.
0 Replies