Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 08:13 am
"The purpose of life is fulfilled by realisation and pursuit of problems that you meant to solve"


Want to hear from you, if this really sum up life, fully understand it, then answer!!Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,045 • Replies: 55
No top replies

 
Aedes
 
  1  
Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 02:58 pm
@trulyhis,
Does ALL life have this purpose? ALL human life?

What about the life of a baby? Or the life of a banana tree?
kennethamy
 
  1  
Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 03:41 pm
@trulyhis,
trulyhis wrote:
"The purpose of life is fulfilled by realisation and pursuit of problems that you meant to solve"


Want to hear from you, if this really sum up life, fully understand it, then answer!!Smile


I would doubt whether there is one particular purpose that all lives (really persons) need to have. Why should there be?
trulyhis
 
  1  
Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 12:34 pm
@kennethamy,
Certainly it does to my conviction, would explain.

Each existance has a purpose, in this regard would focus on human, that we could relate to. Purpose is an explanation of different gifts we have, purpose is an expression of destiny. Different gifts we have should explain the purpose why one lives, as you know we have different ones, there should be a purpose why there are. Once one has come to REALISATION and reason to which gifts he has, then it explains his existance, and remember you are not limited to one (tap into others). As you have realised it, those gifts, then you have the obligation to pursue them, and by doing so, you are solving a certain problem. You cannot solve anything until you realise the problem, so realisation is key; even though you have realised the problem but without pursuit, it would not guarantee a solution.

Doctors solve health problems, entertainers solve boredom problems, teachers and lectures solve literacy problems, politicians solve socioeconomic problems, philosophers like yourself solver a certain problem, and your other gifts do solve a certain problem. So after you have realised your gifts, pursue them, beacause there are solving a certain problem. Now look at the gifts differently, see the problems they solve, and once its pursuid then you are fulfilled. Wink
0 Replies
 
Vasska
 
  1  
Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 02:50 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Does ALL life have this purpose? ALL human life?

What about the life of a baby? Or the life of a banana tree?


A baby will grow up to be a (wo)man. Who eventually will have a realization and pursuit of problems that they solve. The baby years are only a small part of life.

For a banana tree all i can think about is that it's purpose is to grow bananas ^^.
trulyhis
 
  1  
Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 03:26 am
@Vasska,
Vasska wrote:
A baby will grow up to be a (wo)man. Who eventually will have a realization and pursuit of problems that they solve. The baby years are only a small part of life.

For a banana tree all i can think about is that it's purpose is to grow bananas ^^.




As you have said "The baby years are only a small part of life.", it being a small part of life does not constitute the life at length and its depth. The baby stage is a stage where you are beggining to collect neccesary knowledge, though at times you are subjective and passive towards what you collect, then the later stage you would exercise the luxury of choice, towards what you can take or not. You better and enhance your choice through knowledge. So the baby stage is an important stage that leads to realisation to the gifts one has, which... solve the problems.

Having grown away from the baby stage, you then have to realise what you are gifted in through experience, from a variety of choices you would have made to do this and that, there and there. Then you are able to realise the gift you have, which would be essential for pursuit, eventually you solve a problem.

For a banana tree, it is not limited to producing bananas only, it also solves some problems, for example:
They form a cool dressing for inflammations and blisters. The banana tree leaf is also used in a variety of dishes for those who lack plates and cutlery. The banana is used as a dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and blandness. Banana are of great value in constipation and diarrhea as they normalize colonic functions in the large intestine to absorb large amounts of water for proper bowel moments. Solving health problems.
+ Chinese use the widely popular banana oil in their cooking, which they extract from its leaf. Solving the scarcity problem of oil
+ Bananas are the world's, best selling fruit, outselling both apples and citrus; each American is estimated to eat 25 pounds of fruit every year. India is the world's largest producer of bananas and Alexander the Great found them growing there in 327 BC, when he conquered India. So they solve socioeconomic problems.

So its not only growing bananas, but it stretches a long way from there. So with the problem you solve with your gift, that solution goes a long way. Smile
Vasska
 
  1  
Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 04:18 am
@trulyhis,
trulyhis wrote:
As you have said "The baby years are only a small part of life.", it being a small part of life does not constitute the life at length and its depth. The baby stage is a stage where you are beggining to collect neccesary knowledge, though at times you are subjective and passive towards what you collect, then the later stage you would exercise the luxury of choice, towards what you can take or not. You better and enhance your choice through knowledge. So the baby stage is an important stage that leads to realisation to the gifts one has, which... solve the problems.

Having grown away from the baby stage, you then have to realise what you are gifted in through experience, from a variety of choices you would have made to do this and that, there and there. Then you are able to realise the gift you have, which would be essential for pursuit, eventually you solve a problem.

For a banana tree, it is not limited to producing bananas only, it also solves some problems, for example:
They form a cool dressing for inflammations and blisters. The banana tree leaf is also used in a variety of dishes for those who lack plates and cutlery. The banana is used as a dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and blandness. Banana are of great value in constipation and diarrhea as they normalize colonic functions in the large intestine to absorb large amounts of water for proper bowel moments. Solving health problems.
+ Chinese use the widely popular banana oil in their cooking, which they extract from its leaf. Solving the scarcity problem of oil
+ Bananas are the world's, best selling fruit, outselling both apples and citrus; each American is estimated to eat 25 pounds of fruit every year. India is the world's largest producer of bananas and Alexander the Great found them growing there in 327 BC, when he conquered India. So they solve socioeconomic problems.

So its not only growing bananas, but it stretches a long way from there. So with the problem you solve with your gift, that solution goes a long way. Smile


Taken from that point of view everything changes of course and everything will serve a purpose (or already has), if you take it as a part of a solution and accept the fact that it might need time to grow to it's (full) potential and then solve a (or more) problem(s).

Thanks for explaining your point of view.
0 Replies
 
AnonVoyager
 
  1  
Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 01:59 pm
@trulyhis,
trulyhis;8950 wrote:
"The purpose of life is fulfilled by realisation and pursuit of problems that you meant to solve"


Want to hear from you, if this really sum up life, fully understand it, then answer!!Smile

Purpose implies intention from the onset -- that is, if I construct a doorstop, I might claim "The purpose of a doorstop is to keep a door open." So, when something is designed with a particular function or application in mind, we say that it has this intended purpose for which it was designed.

Speaking of human purpose may be suggesting that a creator (God, or Nature) designed us for specific functions, and that those functions are the intended purpose for which we were created.

Solving problems which correspond to one's particular talents suggests there is a niche for all people -- a role for each to play which contributes to the whole -- and that is a commendable view. Mere survival and reproduction may seem like a given now, but in this day and age, with world war and environmental catastrophe looming, we must use more of our intelligence to survive as a species. So, we must each do our part in building global peace by working together, by establishing international goodwill, by raising awareness through discussion, and by taking an active part in what we consider important goals -- and these can become our chosen, intended purpose in life.
0 Replies
 
Didymos Thomas
 
  1  
Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 02:55 pm
@trulyhis,
Quote:
Each existance has a purpose, in this regard would focus on human, that we could relate to. Purpose is an explanation of different gifts we have, purpose is an expression of destiny. Different gifts we have should explain the purpose why one lives, as you know we have different ones, there should be a purpose why there are.


You begin with the premise that existence has a purpose. First, let's clarify "each existence". Does anything exist independently of everything else? And why does existence have a purpose?

Just because some life is capable of X, does not mean that X is the purpose of that life.
kennethamy
 
  1  
Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 06:47 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
You begin with the premise that existence has a purpose. First, let's clarify "each existence". Does anything exist independently of everything else? And why does existence have a purpose?

Just because some life is capable of X, does not mean that X is the purpose of that life.


I would have thought that it is people who have purposes, and that they can give some purpose to their life. But what purpose they a person gives is up to the particular person. There is no reason (that I can see) to think that there is some particular purpose that everyone should give to his life. Or even, indeed that there must be just one purpose, or, indeed that there must be any purpose at all (although I would suppose that it would be a good thing for a person have some purpose).
Didymos Thomas
 
  1  
Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 04:16 pm
@trulyhis,
Quote:
I would have thought that it is people who have purposes, and that they can give some purpose to their life. But what purpose they a person gives is up to the particular person. There is no reason (that I can see) to think that there is some particular purpose that everyone should give to his life. Or even, indeed that there must be just one purpose, or, indeed that there must be any purpose at all (although I would suppose that it would be a good thing for a person have some purpose).


A "purpose" we assign ourselves does not sound much like a purpose. Seems closer to a goal, but whatever we decide to call it, I think you're right on.
0 Replies
 
No0ne
 
  1  
Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 10:08 am
@trulyhis,
trulyhis wrote:
"The purpose of life is fulfilled by realisation and pursuit of problems that you meant to solve"


Want to hear from you, if this really sum up life, fully understand it, then answer!!Smile


Yes. that point of view and perception of the purpose of life, is corrrect within the way's how you see it, but other's within the world do not share such point of view of the matter, and there for it would only sum it up for you, it would not applie to every person, nor dose it state the effect's that can or cant happen to all people/person within any given life time.

So... since people dont all feel realisation, would be to word to discribe there action's within there live's, nor would they think the pursuit of problems are the only thing's in life that they wish to solve.

Mainly people know what they want and desire in life, they dont need to realize such thing's. the only thing's they would realize in life would be that the thing's that they thought where not problem's where really problem's, and that what they were seeking and desired in life really wasnt what they wanted, therefore they would feel the act of realisation, within the correct manner.

And you cannot(but you can because you have Smile and i would prefer that you would:)) say what would forfill someone's life that is not your's, that would be a false perception and un-correct judgment of what they desire and seek within there own life. You may say what would forfill your life, because it is your life and you understand it within your own perception of your own point of view of that concept of life.

=-=(Do onto other's as want done onto your self)=-=
You would not want someone els saying what your purpose of life is forfilled by, you would want your self to say what it is. This is why people would have problem's with your statment, and what you say there purpose of life is forfillled by. (Must see and walk in there shoe's and eye's before you define there mind, and it kinda ryme's)

So your concept would never applie to all people correctly to there point of view, they would allways fight it and say it is an incorrect statement.

But if you know what wont work, its ezyer to find what will work for everyone.

The word life sum's up what life is. But it dose not quench the thirst and lust for a better answer. Hence create your own that work's for your self, just dont think it would work for everyone or define life completly, because it would only do so within your point of view and perception of such, for it would not in those that dont see it from your point of view and perception of such.
LogosMike
 
  1  
Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 03:31 pm
@trulyhis,
Your question seems to be asking if there is an objective purpose to life, i.e., not my life or your life, but to life more generally construed. Of course we can project our own sense of purpose to our lives (to be a doctor, policeman, etc.), but I think the more interesting question has to do with the question of a predetermined purpose or reason for human life. This is obviously another way of asking the age old question: what's the meaning of life?? A trite topic, one that I will definitively answer in the following sentences (note sarcasm).

My own view is that there is no objective meaning or purpose. We are here completely by chance. Seeking a greater purpose in life is a hopeless struggle to deny this fact. We are born, we live, we die. The earth will continue to spin after we are gone and our lives will be forgotten in time. Depressing? Not necessarily.
0 Replies
 
Khethil
 
  1  
Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 04:03 pm
@No0ne,
No0ne wrote:
But if you know what wont work, its ezyer to find what will work for everyone.


I'd disagree wholeheartedly. Not only is it not easier, it can't. Furthermore, in my judgment it should never even be tried.

The greatest thing we can do, as rational self-aware beings, is to define our own purpose in life. Since you and I both have lives, we're free to define just what that "purpose" should be - separate from each other. This isn't relativistic morality, it's respect for the autonomy of the individual. In any case, to suggest that all "life" has a "purpose" is, in my humble opinion, unfounded and indefensible.

To assert there is a single purpose (i.e., Reason or Function) for all life is unsupportable - To try and define a purpose for everyone collectively isn't plausible (although many religions have not only tried this but have enforced their decrees through a sort of emotional terrorism often referred to as eternal damnation). "Purpose" suggests a defined role or function-to-perform which was the motive for the creation of "some thing". Humans don't have this objectively.

We are lost until we find (or make) our own way - our own purpose.

Humanity has a propensity to arrogance; an arrogance that says, "There must be some reason for all this! I can't be here by accident!". Why not? All things change, evolve, devolve, break down, mutate, combine, adapt, coalesce, dissolve, develop, decay... what's so hard to believe that over millions of years there emerges an intellect which realizes itself and is aware of its own existence. Humility seems so lacking... aggrandizement runs amuck.. I am Jack's Dream of being a Comic Book Hero
step314 phil
 
  1  
Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 09:12 pm
@Khethil,
I'd say that what we perceive as our purpose ought to be determined by ourselves, and that it changes as our understandings of ourselves and of external reality change. But the whole notion of "purpose" connotes too much of purposiveness or goal-setting for the notion to be something I consider of central importance. I don't need to be purposive to do, and like a Taoist, I don't want to be purpose driven in that sense unless I am fighting some addiction that makes me distrustful of sailing along as my emotions guide me. By examining my natural tendencies and by trying to understand them and find patterns in them, I abstract into a best guess of what I want, and this understanding of my want gives me a new tendency, an abstracted tendency, to seek what I understand to want. I suppose that guess could be called my purpose, but it's a very fluid thing, my understanding of myself continually changing with new thoughts and new observations of my (not abstracted) tendencies in experiences I had not had before.
0 Replies
 
Arjen
 
  1  
Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 10:10 am
@trulyhis,
Trulyhis, responding to your opening post:

If indeed "purposes" would exist, what would be the ultimate purpose? -The purpose to allow all purposes to be fullfilled. If indeed such a thing would be our purpose, would that not entail "disturbing" (or onfluencing if you will) as least as possible with anything outside yourself? In that sense one would allow things to come to pass without one's own influence.

How does one "not influence"? -By acting without "goal" in mind so that the action itself simply "is" itself. In that sense the "purpose" would be not to have a purpose. That is a paradox of divine making I think.

Wink
Holiday20310401
 
  1  
Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 09:34 pm
@Arjen,
I heard in church once a common sang to live life like it is your last day and to learn like there is no tomorrow. Thats a good purpose to life in my opinion.
Didymos Thomas
 
  1  
Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 10:24 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Arjen - You're going eastern on us. Smile

Quote:
I heard in church once a common sang to live life like it is your last day and to learn like there is no tomorrow. Thats a good purpose to life in my opinion.


That's good advice. I'd spend some time thinking about the right way of going about following this advice, though. Especially that first part.
Holiday20310401
 
  1  
Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 10:29 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
What, you mean hearing it in church or live life like it is your last day
Didymos Thomas
 
  1  
Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 11:19 pm
@Holiday20310401,
'Living life like it's your last day', but the same is true for 'learn like there is no tomorrow'. We should really think about what it means to do these things. Consider what they translate to in more practical terms.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

How can we be sure? - Discussion by Raishu-tensho
Proof of nonexistence of free will - Discussion by litewave
Destroy My Belief System, Please! - Discussion by Thomas
Star Wars in Philosophy. - Discussion by Logicus
Existence of Everything. - Discussion by Logicus
Is it better to be feared or loved? - Discussion by Black King
Paradigm shifts - Question by Cyracuz
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Purpose
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 07/22/2024 at 11:46:43