Immortality

Wizzy

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 11:19 am
@Quatl,
Quatl
Goddamn man, that was good...
This is something along the line of my thinking too, only that you express it better then me...

But you can't deny the fact that if the world would come to an end, you probably would be lonly but odds are that there's a few more MILLION years to that acctually happening, so in the meanwhile, I would just like to live, do those longterm plans and see the world crumble while I stand uneffected..
0 Replies

Vasska

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 11:45 am
@Quatl,
Quatl wrote:
How is this different really from the way things are anyway. I have outlived loved ones already, I have loved those who did not love me already, I have been lonely already, and still am lonely now.

I'm sure I f I were to ask if suicide were a good idea you would object. How is that different from turning down a chance at eternal life if such were offered.

I reject your logic.

I love those I love, and when they are no more I carry them with me, It is the memory of joy that carries me through the pain of loss. Indeed life is painful often, but that is no reason to run from it. Pain is an inevitable price we must pay in order to buy future happiness.

If we allow the memory of pain grow into such fear that we are unable to risk, then we will never know happiness again. It is irrelevant if we will live merely another few years, or for the rest of time.

I would embrace immortality, even though my heart is often heavy. I would relish in the knowledge that so many more years were to come in which I could pursue true happiness, and joy. And in the great long depths of eternity, so many years of happiness would be the reward for the many in which I inevitably would suffer.

You say "if you couldn't die, then you would have no purpose in life to do anything aside from fulfilling your own personal selfish desires?" I say, "NO!" In an eternal life there is truly, finally, a logical reason to embrace all forms of long term thinking. It becomes in your clear and undeniable interest to do all one can to foster a better world. For in an eternal life you will be there, to selfishly enjoy the fruits of such a better world.

Fear not life my friend!

You are now working under the assumption that you will be useful even in a thousand years when society has undoubtedly changed for better or for worse.

I think that with eternal life you'll have to adapt new language and ethics to stay within the society, to understand how society works. I personally would grow tired of it.

For the part of loved one's. Everyone will lose loved one's and undoubtedly will be lonely for some time, whether this are weeks, months or even years. People who start thinking about most things (like most here) will be the first to fall in that hole and need to relax and take things easy to come out of it. People who think to much will eventually go insane (like many examples from the past, from which i now recall to mind Nietszche who went insane)

Losing loved one's is eventually bearable because you deep inside know that everyone eventually will die. If you got immortal life that is taken from you, and you the only certainty you will have is that you will live forever and everyone else around you will die forever. That is something i don't want to live with. Maybe it's because i don't value live as you do, maybe it's because we can't figure out what anyone will do with immortality.
dancinginchains

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 12:57 pm
@Vasska,
It seems to me that if one truly values life one would also value the natural course of life, which ends in death. With the end of one life follows the beginning of another. So yes I will one day die, but the moment my life ends another one begins. It is this relationship between life and death that makes life so beautiful, so prescious, so valuable, and so delicate.

I do not fear life. However instead of petitioning not to fear life, maybe it'd be wiser petitioning not to fear death, for the latter (death) seems to give way to the former (life) by default.
Vasska

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 03:34 pm
@dancinginchains,
dancinginchains wrote:
It seems to me that if one truly values life one would also value the natural course of life, which ends in death. With the end of one life follows the beginning of another. So yes I will one day die, but the moment my life ends another one begins. It is this relationship between life and death that makes life so beautiful, so prescious, so valuable, and so delicate.

I do not fear life. However instead of petitioning not to fear life, maybe it'd be wiser petitioning not to fear death, for the latter (death) seems to give way to the former (life) by default.

I totally agree with it. I never understood why dieing is something that is bad within almost any culture. I personally find the symbol of death something that i really really like and value more than life. Of course for many people this would be rather too morbid for their believes.
Teena phil

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 08:47 am
@Vasska,
I'm not really sure right off hand, but I would definitely consider it.

I do definitely agree with those who've said that you might very well end up forever lonely. You're unlikely to ever feel close to anyone since it would be nearly impossible for anyone to be able to relate to you. You will never be able to share their life & grow with them, you will always know that you will soon be forced to abandon them & eventually find them dead. There simply wont be another person like you or that understands you.

Not being like anyone else though definitely has its positive side. I'm sure something like that has to appeal at least a little bit to all of our egos. I'm also pretty sure it'd be hard for me to fight that desire/curiosity if I had been offered eternal life. You will know the world like nobody else.

I do not at all agree that eternal life necessarily means selfish or meaningless life. You can find meaning for yourself, and you will eventually have to...if you want to avoid insanity. You can go both ways, you can indulge into an endless (and eventually tiring & boring) flow of selfish pleasure or you can focus your energy on trying to benefit the world. You would certainly have a better hand at it than anybody else ever had or ever will have considering that you're not limited in time.

So in short, yes you might damn yourself a 1000 times for choosing this 2000 years from now...but it wouldn't be a quick "no" for me.
Wizzy

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 09:57 am
@Teena phil,
Great answer Teena, really... Can't even find anything to complain about, and that's unusual for beeing me...
Quatl

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 02:03 pm
@Wizzy,
I don't fear death, it's the only option, it will come when it comes and I will be no more, or eternal, or transformed or something else. But If given the choice I'd remain here. The world does suck, but it's got it's up sides.

I am a little concerned how many of your responses indicate a profound lack of faith in regard to love, life and the power of the human spirit. I hope you guys are ok.
the thinker

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 12:20 am
@Quatl,
I don't think I could stand to be immortal. It would just suck. I wouldn't have any friends or family that stuck around, and well, that would just...suck. There'd be nothing to stop me from become insane or evil, and no one could stop me from doing whatever evil stuff I pleased.

However, if there were a few other people who were also immortal, and I could actually get along with those people, if they were my friends, I might take the chance. With a few friends with you for all eternity...that might actually be awesome. Those friends would probably become closer than any mortal family could. Those friends would probably also keep me sane.

I have a friend who says simply about immortality: "Those who are immortal have never lived."
0 Replies

Fairbanks

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 10:57 am
@Wizzy,
Wizzy wrote:
"Isn't immortality really everybody's secret little dream?"
/Wizzy

:shocked:

Suppose you were immortal. How would you know you were immortal?
nameless

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 03:05 am
@Wizzy,
Wizzy;8983 wrote:
My answer is simply: yes, ofcourse. Imagien to be the only immortal person on earth, no super strength or anything but you just can't die. You would be a one man army, nobody could stop you and you would be really free to do what ever you want to!

...and the court sentences you to spend the rest of your life in prison with no possibility of parole!
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 05:57 am
@Fairbanks,
Fairbanks wrote:

The lack of death might be a large clue :detective:
socrato

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 08:49 pm
@Khethil,
Why do you all not want to be imortal! That would be awesome!! Living forever, think about it. Forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not habing to worry about not being able to accomplish something in your life, because being immortal would mean that I could do anything eventualy. I'll be able to know what goes on 500 years from now.

What would get boring about life? There will always be new things to do.
Psychonaut

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 09:15 pm
@socrato,
I would absolutely, undeniably choose immortality.

Ive always had immortality fantasies since i was a little kid. (16 now) as previously stated by socrato, you would be able to do anything eventually.Smile

Always learning and trying new things with no rush in life, Its perfect. I've always believed that MY reason for living is to try new things, new location, new love, new state of mind.

Become an expert in every field, become an expert in life matters, become better, learn.

I've never felt too attached to any particular character in my life, i will outlive my mother my son will out live me etc.

but then again, I'm borderline psychopath.
would i be lonely?... not at all :devilish:
Holiday20310401

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 09:37 pm
@Psychonaut,
I'm 17 and I would never choose immortality. I think that people should try to grasp how long that is, and realise that what time they've been able to conceive is not even an identifiable percentage to infinite time.

Besides, what has a beginning has an end. So immortality is impossible.

But I think that we can learn and try new things but eventually we would get tired of it all. Life will be so realized, so redundant, so jaded, so linear, that we would eventually go insane from lack of introspective progress relative to being young. Suicide becomes the selfless act due to losing perspective of one's self. And so, in our nature, we would eventually choose death.

If I had it my way I'd want to live for any amount of time but not be forced to live forever.

Socrato, Try to grasp the tens of hundreds of thousands of millions of billions of trillions of quadrillions of years. lol. Technically I think the universe itself isn't supposed to last for nearly that long, but you get the point, I hope.
Khethil

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 06:14 am
@Holiday20310401,
I saw this thread a few days ago; started to reply, then aborted it and it hasn't much left my head.

For me, I'd take it. I realize that there would inevitably come a point where the concept of eternity - in this form - would become unbearable and the existence would much more resemble a cage than any sort of freedom [1].

That being said...

... when I think of the thousands of places I could spend even just a few years at, the billions of people I could relaxingly take time to get to know, the knowledge I could gain, the possibilities of what a distant future might hold, it's all too alluring to pass up. What's more, thinking about a condition where "I couldn't die" brings with it a cacophony of experiences I could safely experience. My gosh... what possibilities!

Yea, I might very well come to regret it. But the draw to such potentials is far too tempting to pass up.

------------------------------
[1] Despite its limited literary value, Anne Rice's 'Vampire Chronicles', throughout its several volumes, touched on this 'unbearable' nature of eternal life quite introspectively. Very nicely too I might add
0 Replies

Fairbanks

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 09:12 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
The lack of death might be a large clue :detective:

By that, anybody alive and reading this post right now is immortal right now.
0 Replies

Fairbanks

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 09:16 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:

what has a beginning has an end. So immortality is impossible.

Immortality is possible but not provable by theoretical reasoning. There are things in mathematics with a beginning and no end, and vice versa.
boagie

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 02:54 pm
@Fairbanks,
Fairbanks wrote:

Smile
Personally I would have great wrath to take out on the mortals.:rolleyes:
Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 03:21 pm
@Fairbanks,
Fairbanks wrote:

Immortality is possible but not provable by theoretical reasoning. There are things in mathematics with a beginning and no end, and vice versa.

Unfortunately, mathematics relies on forces to be valid, and as such, forces are contained in dimension which could be said to be contained in another container. So the contents would not be immortal, thus an inevitable end to anything that has a beginning.

Even time, does not work in a way that you can literally reverse its flow. You can only go back in time relative to somebody else, by slowing down time relative to another's.

We can't reverse the causal flow.
Fairbanks

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 03:47 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
the contents would not be immortal, thus an inevitable end to anything that has a beginning.

If immortality is necessary it may be assumed. So far it has not proved to be necessary to anything of objective nature, but something could come along any day.