"GOD's Unfailing Love"

Vasska

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 05:06 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Culture. That's why we pass religion down to our children. We also pass morals. We pass down a great deal, and this is called cultural identity. The whole "forced down the throat of a helpless child", you must admit, shows some bias towards religion. Don't get me wrong, you should believe what you want, and institutionalized religion has done a marvelous job of corrupting countless minds. But this does not mean we should shrug off the process of transmitting culture from one generation to the next. We should just make sure we go about this process in a positive way.

Why should the Muslim hate the Jew or vice versa because his parents did? He shouldn't. This is hate, hate is not good. Why should the Muslim or Jew or what have you observe the religious holidays of his parents? To dedicate that time to reflection, or charity, or family, or whatever the holiday is supposed to cultivate.

Funny thing is that Richard Dawkins said the same exact thing you just did. I see things a bit differently; Culture and religion are two separate things, however Religion influenced Culture a lot more than the other way round. Many Cultural things are these days unspeakable acts; bull fighting and the big tomato fights in Spain to name two.

I might be and barbaric culture hating person, but i don't see why culture must be passed down from generation to generation. Minds like Darwin showed us you must break them to move forward. The whole forced down the throat argument is based upon the facts that:

• A child, who believes whatever his parents tells them cannot say; hey this God-thing is a bit strange; it believes it for it is told him.
  • A child that has Muslim parents automatically becomes a Muslim to and has nothing to say against it. Feeding a child nonsense from the very beginning makes this nonsense truth. I'd love to have a wide scale project in which kids get Gods like the Flying Spaghetti Monster and other strange things fed to them from the start. This however is against all ethical rules and will never be executed, talking about it even here might prove somewhat controversial.
  • As you said, why should anyone really bother with God, give the good example and teach your kids about every religion and give them fair information about it

The whole hate thing is something not even worth discussing because it really has no use.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 06:00 am
@Vasska,
Quote:
I see things a bit differently; Culture and religion are two separate things, however Religion influenced Culture a lot more than the other way round.

That's simply not the case. Religion is part of culture, and the result of culture. Religion does not develop in a vacuum, instead, religion develops to suit the needs of the culture and, unfortunately in some cases, to suit the desires of certain powerful people. The former being healthy, the later unhealthy.

Different religious views are best explained by cultural differences.

Quote:
Many Cultural things are these days unspeakable acts; bull fighting and the big tomato fights in Spain to name two.

And many religious practices are these days unspeakable acts - like human sacrifice.

Quote:
I might be and barbaric culture hating person, but i don't see why culture must be passed down from generation to generation. Minds like Darwin showed us you must break them to move forward.

We should not pass things down just for the sake of conservatism - what we pass on should be useful to our children. We often must break tradition to move forward, this is true, and this happens naturally. We do not need to cast out all tradition to preserve progress.

Quote:
A child, who believes whatever his parents tells them cannot say; hey this God-thing is a bit strange; it believes it for it is told him.

Which is why we should be responsible educators of the youth, passing on useful cultural heritage, and leaving harmful heritage for the past.

Quote:
A child that has Muslim parents automatically becomes a Muslim to and has nothing to say against it. Feeding a child nonsense from the very beginning makes this nonsense truth. I'd love to have a wide scale project in which kids get Gods like the Flying Spaghetti Monster and other strange things fed to them from the start. This however is against all ethical rules and will never be executed, talking about it even here might prove somewhat controversial.

A child has nothing to say, but children grow up.

To call Islam "nonsense" from the start is the very problem. Studies about what people will believe if taught from youth are beside the point - religion is more than which tradition. Flying Spaghetti Monster has no cultural significance, Allah does.

Quote:
As you said, why should anyone really bother with God, give the good example and teach your kids about every religion and give them fair information about it

But not everyone is a sensitive scholar of world religions. Not everyone can teach every religion - no one can teach every religion.

We should be responsible educations, and not demand our children believe this that or anything else. And we should educate them as best we can. Part of education, especially cultural education received outside of the classroom, is developing some perspective on how to view our relationship with other people and the rest of reality. Religion does just that.

Quote:
The whole hate thing is something not even worth discussing because it really has no us

On the contrary, hate is essential. More directly, suffering is essential. We should be culturally conscious and promote cultural values and traditions which mitigate suffering, and root out the values and traditions that promote suffering. This is true of religion and everything else that comprises culture.
0 Replies

Solace

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 10:45 am
@Vasska,
I knew what ya meant when you said damned, I was just playing with the word. Blinding me to what? That your opinion is different than mine? I can see that. I am not Elect because I believe in God. I am Elect because I believe God. There's a difference.

You plucked the story of Job out of the bunch and say this story illustrates that God has no love...? Let's go back to an earlier story though, the story of Adam. God protected Adam. He stuck Adam in a garden of bliss. And what did Adam gain from it? Nothing. Adam couldn't grow in mind and understanding while in paradise, cause Adam was just a spoiled child. Only once God booted him out of the Garden did Adam begin to learn anything. Cause hardship teaches us. Ask anyone who has ever truly suffered, they'll tell you the same thing.

It really puzzles me how people think that because God allows hardship and suffering, he must not love people. I have children of my own, and though I try to shelter them as best I can, I know full well that in its own way, sheltering them is the worst thing I can do to them. Cause they have to learn. What, is taking them and sticking them in a sterile enviroment where they'll never ever be hurt by anything a better idea than letting them go out into the world and learn things for themselves? Sure they're gonna get hurt out there, but they'll enjoy it a heck of a lot more than being barred in a room where they couldn't get hurt. We do bar people away in a room where they can't get hurt for their whole lives sometimes ya know, but it ain't because we love them.

And this is every aetheists idea of God, that me must be a sicko because he didn't bar us away in a room where we couldn't get hurt. Umm.. whose the sicko exactly?

Where did I say that I don't believe the old testament? Without the old testament the new one hardly makes any sense. It's all the bible, ya can't have one without the other. It's like any story, it all leads from the beginning to the end. The law of the old testament, that is the ten commandments, the covenant, and everything else there that constitutes "the law" in a biblical sense, establishes that man needs a saviour. The new testament offers that saviour and fulfills the law. Fulfills as in finishes, fulfilled as in the end of a contract, which is exactly what the covenant was. So when I say the law is ended, it is ended for me, as in, it no longer applies to me, because I already believe and am already saved.

Now, why I'm explaining this to an aetheist, I have no idea...? Maybe because you brought it up by saying that I don't believe the old testament. You find what I say offensive, obviously, or else you wouldn't call me filthy. I find it humourous that aetheists get so offended by believers. If I were an aetheist who looked down on believers, the way you obviously do, (uumm... whose the elitist again?) I wouldn't even deign to talk to them, cause I'd think they were so foolish and so nutty that it would be a waste of breath (or typing in this case) to bother with. But yet you bother. Perhaps because you think that you have something to say that is actually worth someone else, a perfect stranger even, bothering to read. If that's true, I should think we are both elitists, in our own way. So, either you think you're an elitist too, or don't bother replying. Cause if you're gonna say something that's worth me reading, you're among the few. (Say it, say it, God Solace is a snob!) Are you sure you're aethiest?

Didymos, I ain't gonna argue the veracity of scripture. Ya either believe it or ya don't. Where it comes from hardly matters when set beside whether or not it makes sense. If you're able to read through the "contradictions" as you put it, and still find something in it that is enlightening, then good on ya. If not, that's cool too, it hardly matters to me. But don't forget, you explained it yourself, why the bible has apparent contradictions. If you accept that and move past it to see if there's anything there worth paying attention to, cool enough. If not, then oh well. Your loss or gain, depending on your perspective. Since you seek to discredit the scripture, I can pretty well guess that ya figure it's your gain.
Solace

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 10:54 am
@Solace,
Quote:
And this is every aetheists idea of God, that me must be a sicko because he didn't bar us away in a room where we couldn't get hurt. Umm.. whose the sicko exactly?

me is supposed to be he.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 12:53 pm
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
And this is every aetheist's idea of God, that he must be a sicko because he didn't bar us away in a room where we couldn't get hurt. Umm.. whose the sicko exactly?
This makes NO sense whatsoever.

WHY would someone who is an atheist believe that "God must be a sicko" when the definition of an atheist is one who does not believe in God.

An atheist believes that God is nothing. Or that God is allegorical, or literary, or cultural, but not REAL in a physical or existential sense. A THEIST is the one who will ascribe God meaningful qualities -- that's part of what being a theist entails.

By the way, what makes you think you can generalize about atheists? Some people are atheists because they believe truth comes from observation and empirical study, and God cannot be empirically demonstrated. Some people are atheists because they don't believe that scripture is any different than any other work of literature (this is a 400 year old argument that comes from Spinoza, who was NOT an atheist). Some people are atheists because it just feels wrong or silly to accept religious traditions as truths. Some people are atheists because they follow a religion that does not have an analagous god concept (like Buddhism).

I doubt anyone is an atheist because they think God is REAL but he's a bad god and not a good God.

People have explained God's permissiveness of suffering and evil in myriad ways. Everything including the doctrine of free will, to the idea of God's recession from earth with each creative act (which comes from the Kaballah), to Calvinistic determinism, to a manichean-type dualism in which there is a real evil force competing against God (i.e. Satan).
Dustin phil

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 01:41 pm
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
Oh, and sorry Dustin, I don't believe that we choose to be God's children any more than we chose who our earthly parents are. We don't force our will upon God. And no Aedes, I also don't claim to be a child of God as a statement of potential. I claim it as a statement of faith.

It seems you feel quite strongly that God is sovereign and that you had nothing to do with your being a child of God. So would it be safe to say that God preordained those who are not chosen to eternal damnation?
0 Replies

Solace

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 02:24 pm
@Aedes,
Admittedly Aedes I used a poor choice of words. Allow me to rephrase. Aetheists such as Vasska, believe that the Judeo/Christian idea of God is a sicko because he doesn't bar us away in a room where we couldn't get hurt. Does this meet your notion of political correctness?

And yes, Dustin, as the book says, some clay is made simply to be destroyed.
Dustin phil

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 02:40 pm
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
And yes, Dustin, as the book says, some clay is made simply to be destroyed.

For the sake of discussing this further I have to quote scripture:

[INDENT]Rom 8:23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.[/INDENT][INDENT] Jas 1:18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.
[/INDENT] [INDENT] Rev 14:4 These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, [being] the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.
[/INDENT]
Any farmer can tell you, "firstfruits" are few but the best of the crop. But firstfruits are not the only fruits. The fall harvest is by far the greatest in number.

[INDENT] 1Tim 4:10 For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially [not exclusively] of those that believe.

1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for [the sins of] the whole world.[/INDENT]
Aedes

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 03:50 pm
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
Does this meet your notion of political correctness?
I'm not looking for political correctness. Just correctness alone would be enough.
0 Replies

Vasska

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 03:58 pm
@Dustin phil,
@t Solace;
The story of Job is one of the stories. The bible is filled with this kinds of stories take Sodom and Gomorrah as another example. You cannot deny the bible is filled with stories that surpass each other in wickedness, worst being the story of Noah were God was playing a game called mass murder.

If you are going to use the Garden of Eden story please also include the tree of knowledge (if I recall the name right). God was being sadistic when he planted that tree in the Garden of Eden. We know one way or another someone is going to break the rules, certainly when a snakelike incarnation of the devil is lose in the garden. Also Adam did not thank God for the soul purpose that he had no knowledge about it. This hardship you talk about so vividly has not so much to do with it, God could have granted Adam with wisdom from the very moment and let him live happily in the garden of Eden instead of being demonized. The whole moral of this story is that God created us, we failed in the simple rules that have been laid down upon us, and therefor we have to "suffer" generation after generation, even tough the bloodlines have already practically degraded into nothing.

But you are right, why do we bother? This discussion is only taking up a lot of time, and in the end we will just dislike each other even more even tough we'd probably never will see face to face, and one of us stops replying and maybe even leaves the forum for some time because of the frustration this thread has caused. So i suggest we'd stop with this part of the discussion and leave it at this.

@ Aedes;
Quite a clear view on the concept of Atheism!

@ Didymos Thomas

Let me recapture again, I'm gonna tell a short story with these presumptions:

• The year of which we speak is 0 forgot the B.C and A.D
  • People only just started to roam the earth in the form we know
  • There are no ideas about anything whatsoever

So we've got the first few hundred years in which we hunt for mammoths and paint our caves, however as you have already seen our human mind is getting more active and stronger. Another few hundred years later we get the first real civilizations and people think at a way higher level. Then however people start to wonder how some things happen and God has been born, because of the - to our modern day standards - low level of knowledge God is pictured as a man with a beard that rules the universe.
We have been "lucky" to have this notion for it could also been the Flying Spaghetti Monster for all they cared. Around this popularized notion we've got more and more people believing in it (mass hysteria) and before we knew it we had a religion based on the soul idea of having an alpha male leader that is omnipotent.

let's go to 1100; we've got scripture a lot of rituals, a culture infested by religion and massive armies with soldiers believing and willing to die for God and his country.

Let something like this continue and it will either grow or degrade (probably this was the only notion to survive for very little people believe in the Egyptian Gods for that matter.) The Will to Power kicks in and churches misuse the trust of people, we all have done our history assignments and we know damn well. I should make the notion that Europeans have been more exposed to this "evidence" than Americans that have a fairly young History and have had no dark ages, probably also the reason why America is more Religious than Europe.

As you see the in this very simple (maybe historically a bit incorrect) example; religion is something that sprouts up and either dies or lives, the most recent example being Scientology. This however does not justify the existence of it, and does not mean it's true, needed or an advantage that must be kept. I think religion rather locks a culture down instead of enriching it. The Dark ages are again the perfect example. We made absolutely no progress in that time.
No0ne

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 04:01 pm
@Israelite007,
Intresting... yet they speak of love, yet they do not speak of what it realy is....

For love is difrent for every person...it is the thing's we give to people, Hence i give you my love... there is not a thing sexual about it... For example

I give a piece of my love to everyone, which is, that i give everyone's point of view of what is correct or true, or what they belive is or is not, the same amount of respect as my own. yet if somesone take's my love and give's none, would they be following the do onto another as want done onto one's self? No they sure wouldnt (wickedness is a Bi#$%)

So to love your fellow brother's and god, is to give to god and your fellow brother's with all your mind, body, and soul. The reason why you should do such onto your brother's and that of which you call the creator, is the the concept of do onto another as want done onto your self, yet it will only be correct if you wouldnt lie or be un truthful to your self.. For like it was said.. a man that would lie to him self would lie to his creator, yet the creator would know that he had spoke truth or not ^^.

Now.. If you hate your fellow brother's and god, you will take from your brother's and god.

For if one take's an eye, one must give an eye to the person that eye was taken...

Yet those take abuse the piece of love i give them, and they do not give back what i give them, for they will not be given all my love

So the wicked would be the people that took the love, and gave no love back, therefore there life was taken from them at the end -.-

So the thing the creator has given us all is the right to life, for that is the love the creator has given us all.

which people abuse what has been given?

Anyways, those passage's relate to the founding concept of Do onto another as want done onto one's self. It's the glue to the puzzle, which tell's why it is good, and in which way's would it not be good to follow such a way of point of view within life -.-'

Give life, get life...Just make sure the reason you do such is pure, and not just a lie to your self and the creator that you seek.

Just beware, dont take the bible or any other book out of context by using your percetpion of what you think or say it mean's...

So love is what you give to someone, yet the reason why to give to someone is more important, Im sure the creator would want such done onto thy self, therefore dose such onto another.

feel free to ask why ^^ i have that answer as well
0 Replies

Solace

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 04:21 pm
@Dustin phil,
Okay for Dustin first, I'll get to the others later.

Let's look at the scriptures you posted. Paul is talking about "the redemption of our body". What does that have to do with anything that we were talking about?

James 1:18 "Oh his own will begat he us..." Thanks man, didn't even know that one. Sort of illustrates my point, doesn't it? Thanks again.

Not sure what yer getting at in Rev 14:4, unless the point yer trying to make is that only virgins make it to heaven...

As for the last two verses, yes, Christ died for all sins. What would you who would propigate free will say of sinners then? I would say that God has caused them to believe a lie. But hey, that's just me... but I'm pretty sure I can back it up with scripture too.

Final thought, why do you seek to use the book to argue against the book? No wonder there are so many atheists about. (Hey, Aedes, I finally spelled it right!)
Solace

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 04:40 pm
@Vasska,
Surprisingly Vasska, I've got nothing to argue about of your last post. I will point out that pointing out that God is a cruel bugger to people in general doesn't change anything that I've said. My original post stands, God loves his children. As it is, the world is full, and has always been full, of people who are not his children. In everyone of the stories you pointed out, God took care of his children. He beat the heck out of everyone else, but hey, if he ain't yer daddy don't expect him to give a crap.

Now, let me point out, I ain't one of those who will argue that everything in the bible actually happened. No one asked Christ if there really was a rich man and a poor man when he told the parable. No one asked Aesop if the tortoise and the hare really had a race either. Yes, in some of the stories, sometimes God's children got screwed over. Job, as you pointed out. But it worked out for Job in the end. Which is the morale of the story. No matter how bad it gets, it'll get better, sort of thing.

Believe it or not, I actually get along far better with atheists than with religious people. Religious people don't like me because I say, hey, God's children can't sin. Atheists tend more often to ignore me than dislike me, which is preferable. At least I know an atheist won't do me any harm for what I believe. (At least I shouldn't think they would.) Religious people, as you illustrated for us in your lil history recap, have a nasty habit of hurting people because of what they believe... and for just about any other excuse they can come up with for that matter.
Dustin phil

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 04:58 pm
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
As for the last two verses, yes, Christ died for all sins. What would you who would propigate free will say of sinners then? I would say that God has caused them to believe a lie. But hey, that's just me... but I'm pretty sure I can back it up with scripture too.

What do you think these verses mean:[INDENT] Isa 33:14 The sinners in Zion are afraid; fearfulness hath surprised the hypocrites. Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings?

Isa 33:15 He that walketh righteously, and speaketh uprightly; he that despiseth the gain of oppressions, that shaketh his hands from holding of bribes, that stoppeth his ears from hearing of blood, and shutteth his eyes from seeing evil;
[/INDENT]God is a consuming fire, and this fire cleanses all of us. This fire is not just something literal to burn people for an eternity.

How would you also interpret these:[INDENT] Isa 26:9 With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early: for when thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness.

Joh 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
[/INDENT]Solace, do you honestly believe that when God tells us to love our enemies (Mat 5:44) he will afterwards do the opposite and destroy these very same ones he told us to love?

Solace wrote:
No wonder there are so many atheists about.

There are so many atheists because of beliefs like these.
Solace

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 08:45 pm
@Dustin phil,
Okay, so yer saying that people don't burn in hell. I think. Can't argue that. If you take a look at people, at how truly miserable they are, they're already in hell. They don't need a lake of fire to make things worse, they're already burning anyway.

Not sure why you want me to "interpret" scripture, just read the stuff, that's what I do.
0 Replies

Vasska

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 03:36 pm
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
Surprisingly Vasska, I've got nothing to argue about of your last post. I will point out that pointing out that God is a cruel bugger to people in general doesn't change anything that I've said. My original post stands, God loves his children. As it is, the world is full, and has always been full, of people who are not his children. In everyone of the stories you pointed out, God took care of his children. He beat the heck out of everyone else, but hey, if he ain't yer daddy don't expect him to give a crap.

Me pointing out God is a cruel personality, might not change your opinion. However, it should be noted that if someone reads the bible without believing in God and taking the bible as pure fiction, this God person would be very wicked for someone who just happens to read it

Your second point made me laugh and cry at the same time. Let's take you back to Germany in the years 1942-1945 when Adolf Hitler changed his political plans and just went ahead with the extermination of the Jews. If you would apply the same logic to his decision as you applied to God you would say that Adolf Hitler was in his right to kill every last Jew just because the were not his childeren, the noble race of Aryans were.
I don't see you or anyone else on the forum as someone who approved the holocaust, and i am sure that among the Neurenburg had religious prosecutors, who just like you believe in God, but found this real life example to cruel to modern standard.

Please don't take the above example as me saying God is as bad as Hitler, but this scenario happened to be great for my explanation. (Also please don't state that Hitler was an atheist, for his religious preferences are still to this day very open for discussion)

Solace wrote:
Now, let me point out, I ain't one of those who will argue that everything in the bible actually happened. No one asked Christ if there really was a rich man and a poor man when he told the parable. No one asked Aesop if the tortoise and the hare really had a race either. Yes, in some of the stories, sometimes God's children got screwed over. Job, as you pointed out. But it worked out for Job in the end. Which is the morale of the story. No matter how bad it gets, it'll get better, sort of thing.

It is not a question of whether anything happened as described in the question. What remains either way is the scripture that you base your faith on and probably see as guidance trough ward your live. I've got no problem with that. However when you say that in the end it worked out for Job you would be saying that all the people in Myanmar (Burma) or the regions of China that got hit recently should be happy about it for it works out. May i point out that Job who had a great life lost everything!

If i were to kill your family and destroy everything around you how would you react? I'd guess you'd kill me or at least beat me up pretty badly, depending on the person you are. The whole turn the other cheek thing gets old pretty fast and while the worked while you were in 8th grade, they do not work in the world you are living now.

Solace wrote:
Believe it or not, I actually get along far better with atheists than with religious people. Religious people don't like me because I say, hey, God's children can't sin. Atheists tend more often to ignore me than dislike me, which is preferable. At least I know an atheist won't do me any harm for what I believe. (At least I shouldn't think they would.) Religious people, as you illustrated for us in your lil history recap, have a nasty habit of hurting people because of what they believe... and for just about any other excuse they can come up with for that matter.

I'm a little puzzled about you. You do believe in God and the Bible, you created (or inherited) a philosophy in which God's childeren cannot sin and you do agree with the fact that many people in history have gone to far in pushing their religion upon others. You might be very alone in your religious beliefs.
Solace

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 05:40 pm
@Vasska,
Quote:

You might be very alone in your religious beliefs.

Truer words were never spoken.

Here, I think, is where the breakdown occurs between how I view God's cruel side and how you view it. (No, I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, just trying to explian my own point of view. Please bear with me.) Essentially, I don't get hung up over people dying, cause we all have to do it sooner or later. That being said, I realize full well the catastrophic potential that a belief in the afterlife has had on the psyche of the masses, that people are willing to kill for what they believe will gain them a heavenly reward. Being someone who believes that I had no control whatsoever over my own salvation, however, also means that I don't at all believe that there is anything that I'm going to do that is going to make my afterlife any better, especially killing people. So, not to put too fine a point on it, the idea of a lot of people dying all at once doesn't horrify me the way it would most people. One at a time or in batches, the ferryman has a big enough boat. (No, I don't believe in the ferryman, it's just a figure of speech.)

Now I realize also that in the mind of a morally and ethically conscious atheist, which I don't think I'm being presumptious to suspect that you are, what I said just now is just about as horrible a thing as anyone could say. And I don't blame you for feeling that way. It is horrible, but that doesn't make it any less viable.

So the difference being that you place more importance on this life than I do. Ethically and morally, and probably in every other way, that makes you the better man. I'm somewhat jaded, to say the least.

I'll finish by saying that my arguments are in no way an attempt to verify the existence of God. I wouldn't waste my time. All such arguments are suspect at the best of times and complete nonsense at the worst. What I do attempt, however, is to explain that if God does exist, this is how he is and why he does what he does.
Vasska

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 03:16 am
@Solace,
Quote:
So the difference being that you place more importance on this life than I do. Ethically and morally, and probably in every other way, that makes you the better man. I'm somewhat jaded, to say the least.
To be honest I advocate eugenics and with it genocide of select groups, however I do not advocate it like for instance Hitler or Stalin did; blind murder as I call it. I might even take less value in life than you do. I however cannot forgive someone as Hitler because he was doing it out of pure pleasure and false information instead of other more higher morals and full information. Taken todays moral standards I would be at the bottom and prosecuted for it by the state if I ever would go public with it.

To get back to the point of discussion; I find it great to see you are among the more educated religious people, and not among the blind masses like most of the religious people that take everything seriously and follow blindly. I still cannot agree with your idea of God, however I can respect it for it does no harm to other people (as far as i can see) and you are not someone who writes his local authorities to ban a children books like Harry Potter, because you find them offensive regarding your beliefs; you might even watch -or already have - one of the movies sometime.

I think we can close this discussion, for I have not much else to say and there are a lot of other interesting discussions on the forums (and I just bought a few new very interesting books about philosophy and mathematics.
Solace

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 07:46 am
@Vasska,
Yep, I own all five movies that are out so far, and even read the first book. It was good, but really geared more toward a younger audience, so I didn't read the second. As for literature that is offensive, or as I'd rather put it, challenging, to religous beliefs, I feel all beliefs should be challenged, especially religous ones. I've written fantasy myself, so I'm entirely an advocate of such literature.

But I agree, this thread seems to have run its course, unless someone else comes along with something fresh to add. Thanks for an enjoyable discourse.
Vasska

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 10:38 am
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
Yep, I own all five movies that are out so far, and even read the first book. It was good, but really geared more toward a younger audience, so I didn't read the second. As for literature that is offensive, or as I'd rather put it, challenging, to religous beliefs, I feel all beliefs should be challenged, especially religous ones. I've written fantasy myself, so I'm entirely an advocate of such literature.

But I agree, this thread seems to have run its course, unless someone else comes along with something fresh to add. Thanks for an enjoyable discourse.

Starting from the 5th book i found it not so suitable for kids anymore, liked it nonetheless. Hope to see you around the other forums.
0 Replies