How law works and why it does not.

reasoning logic

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 06:37 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
I am German so I know our history very well.

Is there a possibility that some cultures do not want their citizens to know the truth about their own history? Could your culture be exempt from this possibility?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:11 pm
@reasoning logic,
Hollywood is not located in Germany RL...entertainment is not their trade...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 08:54 pm
@reasoning logic,
Even for someone who hasn't traveled extensively, there must be information online for you to see what Germany has done in restitution, holocaust memorials, museums (I just went to the holocaust museum in Berlin) and has been teaching its citizen extensively about the horrors of WWII to make sure that never ever would such a horrendous genocide war be forgotten or repeated.

It seems," ignorance is bliss" is more on your side.
vikorr

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 11:54 pm
@reasoning logic,
Hi RL,

You will find that Fido's theories only 'work' in a functioning law obiding society. It's like an unemployed person saying 'it's my right to be unemployed and on benefits' - that sort of attitude only works in a society that is mostly employed - if everyone was unemployed there would be no welfare and he would have no choice but to work to survive (ie his theory about his 'right to welfare' would not exist)

Taking that a step further - there is a reason that Fido refuses to look at what occurs in a society where law and order has broken down, or barely functions (as a comparison to one that is law abiding)

There will also be a reason why Fido will refuse to look at why he can have a peaceful, orderly trip on any western road in a big city.

He talks about the minority lack of justice in a law driven (large) society, and ignores the much larger lack of justice inherent in any comparable size lawless society.

There is a reason he chose the most reviled law system of recent times as his example for the 'evils of law'...but fails to look at the majority. This is like walking into a candy store and saying 'this candy is bad so the rest of them must be'

His theories are so flawed that I could spend quite some time poking thousands of holes in them. The thing is - the flaws are so obvious that any person with an unbiased perspective should be able to see them, leading to a 'why should anyone bother' attitude towards this sort of silliness.

I don't think him unintelligent - just extremely colour blind. Humanity has a great capacity to justify to themselves (and often to even explain articulately the 'goodness' of) anything from the kindest of guestures to the most evil of deeds.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 06:43 am
@CalamityJane,
Do not believe that only because people did not have written laws that they did not act morally.. Or for that matter, that laws can in any sense prevent immorality.. And which is more important to the long term survival of society???...

We have had Western Law a little less than a thousand years and every war we have fought since and every technological advance has been made under the cover of law... Law has often been twisted to serve the powerful and to injure the powerless... Injustice in every country has been exported with war... Are we seeking the limits of our own destructive potential??? If we are seeking our common survival then a minimum of law and a maximum of morality is the answer...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 06:44 am
@reasoning logic,
Thanks..
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 04:45 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
see what Germany has done in restitution, holocaust memorials, museums

I like what Germany has done but there are many others that have done the same and I think that the list may be growing!

1 Argentina
2 Australia
3 Austria
4 Belarus
5 Belgium
6 Brazil
7 Bulgaria
8 Canada
9 Croatia
10 Estonia
11 France
12 Germany
13 Greece
14 Hungary
15 Israel
16 Italy
17 Macedonia
18 Netherlands
19 Poland
20 South Africa
21 Sweden
22 United Kingdom
23 United States

Quote:
It seems," ignorance is bliss" is more on your side.

Please help me to see the empirical understanding that you have!

It seems," ignorance is bliss" but I do not think that it is always on your side because you would not be here if it were! Wink

This is some what how I see it! We all get it wrong and if you have absolute truth please share it with us all!

0 Replies