hammersklavier

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 10:34 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
It seems to me that God is effectively beyond good and evil. IIRC in the Jewish tradition God causes suffering (more or less) as a test of our devotion to Him, like in the Book of Job. If this is true, then God has created both good and evil; and if this is true, then how can we say He is omnibeneficent and not at the same time omnimalificent?

On a side note, this reading seems remarkably similar to the ones presented in the Tao Te Ching ('The Tao is beyond good and evil', 'The Tao gives birth to both good and evil', e.g.)

...What would this say about ethical certainty?
Kielicious

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 03:21 am
@click here,
TheLonelyPuritan;81831 wrote:
I don't endorse human's owning humans, but God owning humans is something totally different. A question, though: by what standard do you measure your own morality, to make such a foolish claim as to claim moral superiority to God?

How is it 'totally different'?

If god endorses slavery (i.e. owning another human being) then I can safely say that my morality is superior. Do I need to explain why?

As for your question, lets think about it critically.

Where do I get my morality from? Well, I get it from lots of places: friends, family, genetics, society, etc. But I think the million dollar question isnt where I get my morality from; its where you get yours from. You get your morality from god right? Ok. Is something good because god says its good or is it intrinsically good? Well, if its the former then what if god changes his mind? If god said that murder was morally correct would you agree and go around killing people? No of course not, which means god isnt the primary source where you get your morality from either. If its the latter then what's the point of god because he isnt the 'law giver' and isnt objective by nature, which renders him far from the status of god.

Its not hard to realize that god doesnt have the power to say that murder, genecide, infanticide, slavery, etc. are morally correct. And if you can see that then a) morality isnt dependant on god and b) god is not omnipotent or omnibenevolent.

click here wrote:

The fallacy in your argument is that you presuppose your moral views as absolute truth. Though I think you are getting the wrong view of God's ownership. If you draw a picture you have every right to do what ever you wish to do with it.

If God created you then He has every right to do what ever He pleases to do with you. He made you, he owns you, that is where the ownership comes in. Your viewing slavery as taking away someones own personal right to freedom, there is nothing to take away from that which you do not already own.

God does not own me like a picture but thanks at trying to belittle me and the entire human race at the same time. The proper analogy would be that of a parent 'owning' a child for he (the parent) created the child, but just because I 'created' a child doesnt mean I have the authority to kill the innocent infant now do I? No I dont. Just because I own a child doesnt mean I can do whatever I want to the poor guy. Where are your values of life and liberty? I suppose inalienable rights arent of high priority to you...

Also, I realized that both of you skipped over the whole free-will issue. Not a surprise there though.
click here

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 05:40 am
@Kielicious,
Kielicious;81872 wrote:

God does not own me like a picture but thanks at trying to belittle me and the entire human race at the same time. The proper analogy would be that of a parent 'owning' a child for he (the parent) created the child, but just because I 'created' a child doesnt mean I have the authority to kill the innocent infant now do I? No I dont. Just because I own a child doesnt mean I can do whatever I want to the poor guy. Where are your values of life and liberty? I suppose inalienable rights arent of high priority to you...

Also, I realized that both of you skipped over the whole free-will issue. Not a surprise there though.

Do not forget what was mentioned by the OP at the beginning of this thread: "Assume there is a GOD!"

A parent does not choose what his child is like, he has no control over what that child is like any any way at birth. Childbirth is a process that a parent simply is a part of. God created humans from the ground up completely different, please tell me you see that.
Caroline

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 05:53 am
@click here,
click here;81845 wrote:

Assuming that you are an atheist whom believes murder is wrong:

Tell that to the serial killers. If murder is wrong, please provide proof of it and proof is not your opinion or others.

Well I knew someone who was slashed up, (murdered), by a serial killer. Asking her mother I believe she would say it's is wrong. Being homosexual never killed anyone, harmed anyone or did anyone wrong, I would've thought the difference between murder and homosexuality was obvious, just ask her mother.
Justin

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 07:39 am
@click here,
click here;81845 wrote:
Our sinful nature is due to Adams choice. How does that not make sense? Maybe my wording was poor, please use this analogy to understand.

Are you sure? Are you even sure there were two people called Adam and Eve. It's funny that these stories of Adam and Eve were developed and created thousands of years after the story in the garden would have taken place. So we really cannot base 'Sinful Nature' on yet another story.

click here;81845 wrote:
The fallacy in your argument is that you presuppose your moral views as absolute truth. Though I think you are getting the wrong view of God's ownership. If you draw a picture you have every right to do what ever you wish to do with it.

If God created you then He has every right to do what ever He pleases to do with you. He made you, he owns you, that is where the ownership comes in. Your viewing slavery as taking away someones own personal right to freedom, there is nothing to take away from that which you do not already own.

So this fictitious God owns us? Created us and owns us and has the right to do whatever he pleases? You have to believe there is a God first don't you? In order to do that, you have to believe in someones interpretation of that God and then you have to have faith that their interpretation or perception of God is the correct flavor.

click here;81845 wrote:
Assuming that you are an atheist whom believes murder is wrong:

Tell that to the serial killers. If murder is wrong, please provide proof of it and proof is not your opinion or others.

I'm not necessarily an Atheist although that's the word typically used to describe people who simply don't lay down their life for a myth. I'm a human being seeking deeper to understand the most understood questions of all time.

Murder is not something I like to do and based on Love, murder is not something that I would consider to be good. I don't believe people should go around killing each other and that's where the difficulty comes in. There are so many killings in this world in the name of their Gods. I do feel that anytime we hurt someone else, we truly hurt ourselves.
click here;81845 wrote:
*HINT* Proving that murder dampens societal growth, is not desired by others etc... only proves that which it states. You may choose to define something "wrong" as that which follows the pattern of the above. Though in doing so you create an opinion/standard (whether shared or not) which can only be validated by those whom also hold that opinion/standard. That opinion/standard is easily relational to the Bible as that which defines what is a sin. Your demands are quite odd...

I worded that incorrectly and it shouldn't have been in the same sentence. We all do have our opinions.

click here;81845 wrote:
I would like to point out that you rightly say that many follow blindly or as I would put it at least with less guidance then there is available. Sure, I'm no expert in any area of the broad topic of Christianity. Though the areas I have not studied I assume them as truth for now with the intention to study more as I get to it.

There's a lot to study. Either way, when we study we are reading the words of humankind. I don't think the answers to our great questions can be found in books or in another humans interpretation. We can spend a lifetime studying but to get a general idea of the history of how the idea of God has evolved is definitely important.

No matter what religion one is a party of, no matter what belief system they embrace, there's always going to be one that is more popular and has more followers than others. If we measure it the popular religions by it's seeds we can reflect back and see a lifetime of judgment, condemnation, not to mention wars and murdering of mass people. Most of which is done in the name of a God. While I'm not trying to be stereotypical, looking back in history shows us that maybe, just maybe the God we have assumed to be almighty and powerful and the one to be feared is nothing more than a creation of man. There are many claims that God has spoken to man but the funny thing is, if we take all these claims and dissect them, we find that it must be different Gods because the characteristics differentiate.

God is a man-made creation for the unexplainable. This man made creation today has taken on many shapes and sizes. The second coming of Christ has been coming and coming for hundreds of years yet never comes. Each generation thinks this is it, this is the time...
0 Replies

Kielicious

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 12:37 pm
@click here,
click here;81883 wrote:
Do not forget what was mentioned by the OP at the beginning of this thread: "Assume there is a GOD!"

yes we all read the op

click here wrote:
A parent does not choose what his child is like, he has no control over what that child is like any any way at birth. Childbirth is a process that a parent simply is a part of. God created humans from the ground up completely different, please tell me you see that.

And I am not an inanimate object void of life, liberty, emotion, cognition, etc. How can you not question a malicious action performed by your king? What are we in the bronze age again where people dont question any sort of malevolent nature motivated by an unworthy tyrant? Remember skepticism is healthy; blind dogmatic gullibility is embarrassingly senile, to say the least.

And again, no response to the free-will issue. What a shocker!
0 Replies

Caezius

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 07:01 pm
@hammersklavier,
hammersklavier;81848 wrote:
It seems to me that God is effectively beyond good and evil. IIRC in the Jewish tradition God causes suffering (more or less) as a test of our devotion to Him, like in the Book of Job. If this is true, then God has created both good and evil; and if this is true, then how can we say He is omnibeneficent and not at the same time omnimalificent?

On a side note, this reading seems remarkably similar to the ones presented in the Tao Te Ching ('The Tao is beyond good and evil', 'The Tao gives birth to both good and evil', e.g.)

...What would this say about ethical certainty?

Well if this is the case hammer, wouldn't that make God a narcissistic self-serving sort of god, only interested if his creations worship and praise him?

Were we put solely on this earth to please God?

You said in your post that God causes suffering (more or less) as a test.

So millions of innocent people die everyday as a test? Did the Jewish people endure the Holocaust because of a test? Were African-Americans subjected to slavery because of a test? And did Job go through so much pain and heartache due to a test?

What sort of twisted tests are these? Is our life a game to God? Surely there are better ways to test the heart of men. For instance appearing every once in a while might do the trick.

And the reason so many people view God as a good figure instead of an evil figure is because he is supposed to reward those who are good (Heaven), and punish those who are evil (Hell), but how can God punish evil when he is responsible for so much of it? God is not like the Tao, the Tao is a harmony between good and evil because one could not exist without the other. God, as you said only creates evil to test the heart and faith of men, and punishes those who simply imitate his behavior, but who is truly to be blamed for evil in the world?
0 Replies

Holiday20310401

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 07:12 pm
@Caroline,
TheLonelyPuritan;81803 wrote:
God does not like murder, therefore murder is bad.

And what if you had to murder to stop a thousand other murders from happening?

God does not like stealing, therefore stealing is bad.

Why? Why is stealing always bad? Can you not think of a situation when stealing could be a good thing?

God does not like homosexuality

Why? People cannot help it if they are. Does this mean they have to suffer because God simply doesn't like it? There is no divine reason for God not to like it. Perhaps God could explain this to me. If he did in the bible, perhaps he provided reasoning? What if you were gay, what then? I mean, that's like racism.

or sexual immorality, therefore those things are bad.

Why?

Does God like me asking him questions?

It is often said that God murders in the bible, therefore He is evil. This is utter nonsense. Murder is the unlawful taking of life, not just any taking of life. And so, God is not murdering, He is killing. Why does He have the right to kill? Because He owns all life, and can take it and give it as He wills.

He doesn't own mine. That is the power I have.

I don't endorse human's owning humans, but God owning humans is something totally different. A question, though: by what standard do you measure your own morality, to make such a foolish claim as to claim moral superiority to God?

Do you agree with the Gandhi quote, "Be the change you wish to see in the world"

I see myself as able to know the difference between what I ought to do and what I ought not to do. I can see that it is wrong to kill a person, I figured that out long before the ten commandments came into perspective.
And yes, I hold humanity higher than abjectness. I do not see divinity as separate to mankind. Why should I?

Also, I think it's kind of offensive to call my beliefs 'all kinds of crap'.

Why? I have always been curious over this phenomena as to how people can be offended that another person would hold one's beliefs with such disdain. I mean, what could I possibly be doing to you by threatening your belief system? The beliefs themselves are no longer deityish?

I would not crucify Jesus. Chances are, you all would.

Instead of assuming this, I suggest you find a bit more about the lives we have, and try coming to that conclusion later. Perhaps start a thread on "How do you contribute as a citizen to society" or something like that.

I mean, why would I want to crucify Jesus. I could never kill a person, why the hell would I crucify a person.

Please explain your reasoning here.

How do you know that nobody has ever seen God or Jesus? And it only seems like the dumbed down version of humanity that buys into 'the crap' because you presuppose that religious people are stupid while atheists are all intellectuals. This is false.

True there is only a coarse correlation.

I think I should say here that I might come across as a little blunt or rude because of my beliefs, but I honestly don't have anything against anyone here and don't mean to be offensive. Still, if it's the beliefs themselves that offend, then I will not apologize for that.

I don't think anybody wishes to offend anyone here.

TheLonelyPuritan;81838 wrote:

As for your question: Yes, I do think that a non Christian religion would be evil, because it teach a twisted concept of truth. For example, if Islam is true, then Christianity and Judaism are evil. If Judaism is true, same thing goes for Christianity and Islam. Same goes for anything other than the Abrahamic religions. If a religion claims to be the only exclusive religion, and it is true, then all other ones are not true. Untruth is evil.

So why would you be against any nonchristian religion then? Doesn't that seem a little hypocritical?

I think we all knew deep down, christian or not, that the concept of God is to be venerated a little more than what disdain comes out of it from looking at it in a biblical context. Would you not agree? The pastor sure did.

I suppose all these statements are futile, just as they always are in a conversation like this.

I mean, what is the point of human understanding if it can never improve beyond that which is known already? If god were an absolute, and we know the absolutes, then what is the point of ethics. We just have to do what we are commanded and everything will be ok. Is that it? Is that all we're good for? What happened to dreams?

Did god ever speak of the human potential to dream, to wonder? Did he give any merit to that?
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 01:03 am
@ltdaleadergt,
Quote:

(Assuming this scenario is possible for simplicity): Let us assume your grandfather had is DNA altered before fathering any children to only produce children with blonde hair and with the DNA to also only produce children with blonde hair for all generations.

Who is responsible for your inability to produce offspring that will have any hair color other then blonde? Your grandfather obviously, as you had no say in the matter though now you live through the consequences of his own choices.
This is not an accurate parallel to a requested rule and an altered set of genetic code. But if you really want to play your convoluted game, it would be much more accurate to display it in this type of code.

Let's say you write a computer program that only adds numbers. There is absolutely no bug that causes it to do anything other than add, because you are a perfect programmer. Now let's say you want the program to not only add but also subtract, however there is a secret little catch here. You have still managed to write the program perfectly without a single bug, yet you have chosen to delete the program and destroy the computer if the program subtracts at all. So you run the program and it will eventually subtract but unknowingly the software gets deleted because you are angry it subtracted.

That is how god reacts to a person who was designed to act in any fashion even if the something is considered "bad". It's ridiculous and childish to punish for something that is naturally occurring. It's like getting angry that it rains.
0 Replies

Joe

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 02:55 am
@Caroline,
So God Exists:

How would we know if something was wrong with our bodies if it wasnt for our biological structure to feel pain? This is where someone would say...............?

What would someone say? Make it so that nothing possible bad can happen physically? How would that work? Do people even care, or is it a question of making Life Perfect? Well whats perfect? Do people even know what they would want god to do if they could reflect their wishes through him? TO me its such a silly assumption to imagine god somehow internalizing the entire universe in human thought. But then talking about the Ultimate Authority is always been the weirdest act for a reason i think.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 05:34 am
@ltdaleadergt,
The view that God is Sovereign and can, therefore, do exactly as he likes without asking we puny mortals permission is the usual answer

But do you accept that viewpoint?
Joe

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 08:12 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;82059 wrote:
The view that God is Sovereign and can, therefore, do exactly as he likes without asking we puny mortals permission is the usual answer

No, merely that Comprehending A God that could make reality to an individual's wants, is a question that has no backing. What would you ask God to do for you? End all suffering? What would that even be like?! You dont care, just do it? prove yourself? What if that meant the end of the human experience? We dont know. Its just a wild shot in the dark against the idea of God in my opinion. Its a trick question. Its Malarkey.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 08:35 am
@ltdaleadergt,
Quote:

I refuse to. It would be like asking me if a serial killer makes a good role model for myself. Well perhaps they have good table manners but the whole part about them killing people, just doesn't sit right with me, so I'm sorry I have to decline.

The bible is full of passages where god is condemning what I consider to be completely and utterly victims of gods unbalanced wrath. People write it off all the time saying well god must have good reason, he is just, and wouldn't do anything unjust. No you can't read one thing then spin it the other direction. Just like someone trying to convince me that I should adopt a serial killers behavior to be a good person.

I have said it many times, and it bears worth repeating. If the god of the bible exists, he is not worthy in any sense of the word, of praise, worship or glory. I don't hate religion, I don't hate good people, and I'm not trying to make people mean to each other. Quite simply praising a being that is willing to punish a being for something it had absolutely no control over is ludicrous.
Alan McDougall

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 08:39 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;82081 wrote:
I refuse to. It would be like asking me if a serial killer makes a good role model for myself. Well perhaps they have good table manners but the whole part about them killing people, just doesn't sit right with me, so I'm sorry I have to decline.

The bible is full of passages where god is condemning what I consider to be completely and utterly victims of gods unbalanced wrath. People write it off all the time saying well god must have good reason, he is just, and wouldn't do anything unjust. No you can't read one thing then spin it the other direction. Just like someone trying to convince me that I should adopt a serial killers behavior to be a good person.

I have said it many times, and it bears worth repeating. If the god of the bible exists, he is not worthy in any sense of the word, of praise, worship or glory. I don't hate religion, I don't hate good people, and I'm not trying to make people mean to each other. Quite simply parsing a being that is willing to punish a being for something it had absolutely no control over is ludicrous.

If we assume that there is a God would he/she/it be held to its own word or promise?
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 01:38 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
Alan McDougall;82082 wrote:
If we assume that there is a God would he/she/it be held to its own word or promise?

Well see here is the thing, a very annoying situation that very few people seem to care about. Basically god says, "Well it can't be that hard to be an outstanding human being, in fact I will prove it by becoming one." This is senseless if you start to ask your question now, because if he is not held by his own standards then becoming human is a pointless act. Yet he supposedly does it anyways. Therefore I will make the parallel here to show what I mean by annoying.

God saying he could be a better human than you is like a person watching you do your job, and saying, "I can do your job far better than you can." Yeah? Well hell if anyone had god powers, I'm sure they could do your job better than the next person too, so what? It says absolutely nothing and the person making the claim becomes nothing but a conceded prick.

So yes, I never like when any type of authority tells me I am not allowed to do something but those individuals who are the authority are allowed to. I would never respect a person who behaves this way, weather they are a being who has the power to kill me or not, I still won't accept it. I will even go as far as to say, they are a prick to behave in such a way to begin with.

In other words it would be like hearing some serial killer say, "Well it should be alright for me to kill people but you, no you would be a murderer and should be punished for killing."
Alan McDougall

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 09:53 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;82128 wrote:
Well see here is the thing, a very annoying situation that very few people seem to care about. Basically god says, "Well it can't be that hard to be an outstanding human being, in fact I will prove it by becoming one." This is senseless if you start to ask your question now, because if he is not held by his own standards then becoming human is a pointless act. Yet he supposedly does it anyways. Therefore I will make the parallel here to show what I mean by annoying.

God saying he could be a better human than you is like a person watching you do your job, and saying, "I can do your job far better than you can." Yeah? Well hell if anyone had god powers, I'm sure they could do your job better than the next person too, so what? It says absolutely nothing and the person making the claim becomes nothing but a conceded prick.

So yes, I never like when any type of authority tells me I am not allowed to do something but those individuals who are the authority are allowed to. I would never respect a person who behaves this way, weather they are a being who has the power to kill me or not, I still won't accept it. I will even go as far as to say, they are a prick to behave in such a way to begin with.

In other words it would be like hearing some serial killer say, "Well it should be alright for me to kill people but you, no you would be a murderer and should be punished for killing."

Your are correct, we don't need a God to be good or a devil to be bad, we humans can apply these attributes very well without any help for any god or demigod
0 Replies

click here

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 10:07 pm
@Krumple,
Justin;81897 wrote:
Are you sure? Are you even sure there were two people called Adam and Eve. It's funny that these stories of Adam and Eve were developed and created thousands of years after the story in the garden would have taken place. So we really cannot base 'Sinful Nature' on yet another story.

I'm as sure that Adam and Eve were real people as sure as you are that there was a big bang that caused a chain reaction to bring you to respond to this specific sentence.

Justin;81897 wrote:

So this fictitious God owns us? Created us and owns us and has the right to do whatever he pleases? You have to believe there is a God first don't you? In order to do that, you have to believe in someones interpretation of that God and then you have to have faith that their interpretation or perception of God is the correct flavor.

Yep.

Justin;81897 wrote:

There are so many killings in this world in the name of their Gods.

Am I responsible for that?

Kielicious;81931 wrote:

And I am not an inanimate object void of life, liberty, emotion, cognition, etc. How can you not question a malicious action performed by your king? What are we in the bronze age again where people dont question any sort of malevolent nature motivated by an unworthy tyrant? Remember skepticism is healthy; blind dogmatic gullibility is embarrassingly senile, to say the least.

There are no malicious actions. You seem to think there are though, please elaborate.

Kielicious;81931 wrote:

And again, no response to the free-will issue. What a shocker!

What is the free will issue that you've mentioned in passing twice?
You want me to respond, so detail.

Krumple;82037 wrote:
This is not an accurate parallel to a requested rule and an altered set of genetic code. But if you really want to play your convoluted game, it would be much more accurate to display it in this type of code.

Let's say you write a computer program that only adds numbers. There is absolutely no bug that causes it to do anything other than add, because you are a perfect programmer. Now let's say you want the program to not only add but also subtract, however there is a secret little catch here. You have still managed to write the program perfectly without a single bug, yet you have chosen to delete the program and destroy the computer if the program subtracts at all. So you run the program and it will eventually subtract but unknowingly the software gets deleted because you are angry it subtracted.

That is how god reacts to a person who was designed to act in any fashion even if the something is considered "bad". It's ridiculous and childish to punish for something that is naturally occurring. It's like getting angry that it rains.

What makes you think that God steps in at every step in life to create harm?....

Could it not be partially your fault? (the other parts be those around you) Are you that egoistic?
Holiday20310401

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 10:33 pm
@click here,
So if God had an ego and it meant consequences which would oddly parallel (referring to old testemant) man's ego, it would be a justified ego since it is God who's ego that is.

There is no container, only the contents. It matters not where the egoistic contents reside in since we are the ones who assign such containers in the first place.

Would it not kind of be flawed to call god transitory? Would that not defeat the purpose of the absolute god?

Monotheism with a figure, how quaint.

Just because the big bang is absurd doesn't mean it is naturally absurd. Wouldn't anything likely be absurd if it wasn't local to our normal perspectives?

And the big bang is only a small part of the cosmos.

Perhaps it is egoistic to want to be special and part of an absoluteness, that one is compelled by the ego to lean away from relativeness, alfter all, how could we be little ants to the vastness of the cosmos.

To give up on understanding because one was only doing so conditionally, only if he himself would actually understand it all. This perfection, well he couldn't find it. He make one up instead. Ease the pain...
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 09:05 am
@ltdaleadergt,
Quote:
What makes you think that God steps in at every step in life to create harm?....

Could it not be partially your fault? (the other parts be those around you) Are you that egoistic?

You failed to see what I was talking about, so let me try it another way.

Let's say you have been dating someone for quite a while and one day you realize that you are in love with the person you have been dating. You decide that you want to tell this person how you feel. So the next time you see them, you reveal your love to them. However they reveal to you that they are not exactly in love with you. That they were just going through the motions. So you push them into a box and slap a lock onto it and push it slowly into a fiery oven. Is this really love?

Wouldn't it be more love like to not have such a reaction? Wouldn't instead the reaction be disappointment without punishment?
TheSingingSword

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 09:19 am
@TheLonelyPuritan,
A question, though: by what standard do you measure your own morality, to make such a foolish claim as to claim moral superiority to God?

I just wanted to jump in here and say something. The greatest book, in my opinion, in the Bible, is the Book of Job. I still can't figure out how it made it into the final collection! Talk about subversive, Job makes exactly the claim that he is morally superior to God! In the end, God appears and basically tells Job that it doesn't matter who is "morally" superior, because God holds all the power.

The Book of Job is basically the conviction of God.