Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 02:13 am
I am sure we always wanted to wonder why can god/does god get away with so many things in this world. Things that he can very well control if he wants and those that in a way he is repossible for. So in here I want to hear you ask question that you cannot make sense out of and in this way we try to understand what god possibly was thinking when he allowed/cause such an event.
=-=
Assume there is a GOD!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,387 • Replies: 48
No top replies

click here

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 05:50 am
@ltdaleadergt,
I think most people are going to assume God is responsible for evil since he had the power to stop it from ever coming into being. They assume that the common assumption of omnibenevolence requires that God also create something which will never display evil.

I think so say that "God is responsible for evil in our world" is surely not Biblical, that is if we are referring to the Christian God.

God gave Adam the ability to choose to not to bad and to choose to do bad. Meaning Adam could choose always to love and never to hate if he so desired. We on the other hand can not, it is our disposition to do bad things. After Adams original sin, God not only took away the ability to not sin from mankind but he cursed us with various things. Weeds, pain in labor, physical death to name a few.

So since Adam had the perfect free will, he himself is only responsible for his and our current state not God.

Now of course their was evil before Adam, we have Satan in the garden. To that I can only assume, as the Bible does not detail, that angels were once also given the same sort of free will and Satan chose poorly and lost all.
0 Replies

Lily

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 02:35 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
I once was told that god is like light and bad stuff, like diseases, are like darkness. They doesn't really exist, the god/light is just not present. Or it's God punish on mankind. God isn't always good. But it is a wellknown philosophical problem, it has a name, but I have forgotten it. Begins with and T, I think...
0 Replies

TheLonelyPuritan

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 03:35 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
The thing is, God isn't 'getting away with things'. There is no moral standard above God, making Him good or evil depending on how He fares in light of this higher standard.
The biblical account of God (which I would hold is the true God), specifically, is not just good. He is Goodness itself. Goodness flows from His very nature. What is good depends on who God is. God does not like murder, therefore murder is bad. God does not like stealing, therefore stealing is bad. God does not like homosexuality or sexual immorality, therefore those things are bad.
It is often said that God murders in the bible, therefore He is evil. This is utter nonsense. Murder is the unlawful taking of life, not just any taking of life. And so, God is not murdering, He is killing. Why does He have the right to kill? Because He owns all life, and can take it and give it as He wills.
Caroline

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 03:45 pm
@TheLonelyPuritan,
TheLonelyPuritan;81803 wrote:
The biblical account of God ..

Man wrote the bible therefore it is mans word, not Gods.

God does not like homosexuality or sexual immorality,.
.How do you know? Jesus said love thy neighbour. We are all God's creatures.
TheLonelyPuritan

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 03:53 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;81804 wrote:
Man wrote the bible therefore it is mans word, not Gods.

God used men to write the bible, but it remains God's word. Even so, I wasn't forcing the biblical account of God onto anyone in my post. I meant it in more of a 'for example, in the biblical account of God, this is wrong because of this' way.

Quote:
How do you know? Jesus said love thy neighbour.

So? I love homosexuals, sure, and I won't say homosexuality is any worse than any other sin, but it remains sin.
Kielicious

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 03:54 pm
@TheLonelyPuritan,
The thing is, God isn't 'getting away with things'. There is no moral standard above God, making Him good or evil depending on how He fares in light of this higher standard.
The biblical account of God (which I would hold is the true God), specifically, is not just good. He is Goodness itself. Goodness flows from His very nature. What is good depends on who God is. God does not like murder, therefore murder is bad. God does not like stealing, therefore stealing is bad. God does not like homosexuality or sexual immorality, therefore those things are bad.
It is often said that God murders in the bible, therefore He is evil. This is utter nonsense. Murder is the unlawful taking of life, not just any taking of life. And so, God is not murdering, He is killing. Why does He have the right to kill? Because He owns all life, and can take it and give it as He wills.

With all do respect, this was utter nonesense.

You try and justify god killing people by saying he can do it because he is god!? I'm so glad that doesnt work ANYMORE in the real world. Thank god for the rule of law Wink
Krumple

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 03:58 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
Quote:
So since Adam had the perfect free will, he himself is only responsible for his and our current state not God.
This doesn't make any sense, that statement is nothing other than delusional. It would be like digging a deep pit in a play ground and covering it over to blend in with the grass. Then when the children are playing and one happens to fall in, you say, well it wasn't the person who dug the pit's fault, it was the child for falling into the pit.

It is idiotic to make statements like that, so why do theists keep making them? Because they use backwards reasoning, they start with "god exists" and fill in all the gaps in the logic even if the answers make absolutely no sense. The areas in which they can not seem to fill get filled with a "god's will" statement and all further questioning get's abandoned.

For being a being with the ability to think and use reasoning, why do you abandon it? Just to keep from the realization that your invisible friend isn't real?
0 Replies

TheLonelyPuritan

@Kielicious,
Kielicious;81806 wrote:
With all do respect, this was utter nonesense.

You try and justify god killing people by saying he can do it because he is god!? I'm so glad that doesnt work ANYMORE in the real world. Thank god for the rule of law Wink

How was it utter nonsense, exactly? Are you saying that the man's law is to subject God? Because that, my friend, is nonsense.
And yes, being God, He owns all life, and has the right to take it away. I fail to see the problem.
Caroline

@TheLonelyPuritan,
TheLonelyPuritan;81805 wrote:
God used men to write the bible, but it remains God's word..
How do you know?

and I won't say homosexuality is any worse than any other sin, but it remains sin.
Says who, only you. The bible was written by men who had these opinions of yours, there is no evidence that God was using them to write such predjudices.
TheLonelyPuritan

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 04:01 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;81809 wrote:
How do you know?

The Scriptures testify to themselves. Still, I could never expect an unregenerate person to be able to accept them.

Quote:
Says who, only you. The bible was written by men who had these opinions of yours, there is no evidence that God was using them to write such predjudices.
But you would agree that if it was indeed God's word, then homosexuality would, in fact, be wrong?
0 Replies

Kielicious

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 04:11 pm
@TheLonelyPuritan,
TheLonelyPuritan;81808 wrote:
How was it utter nonsense, exactly? Are you saying that the man's law is to subject God? Because that, my friend, is nonsense.
And yes, being God, He owns all life, and has the right to take it away. I fail to see the problem.

God owns my life!? This shows my moral superiority in that I dont endorse slavery. Owning another human being is one of the most disgusting acts that anyone can do, and yet its ok with you and god? So much for our (supposed) god-given free-will ay?
Justin

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 06:02 pm
@Kielicious,

Says who? Who told you this?

Who told you it's true? Have you investigated at all how the book was formed and who made the decisions? For you to say that God does not like something, I'd have to ask, "How in the heck do you know?". The only bad thing is blind people following blind people into war and hurting others in the name of their God. Not to mention condemnation.

Please space your paragraphs.

There's a forum called TalkJesus.com where there are a bunch of folks like yourself that simply believe in all kinds of crap. That's where you want to go because here we use logic and reason along with history and none of the above validate the bible, it's teachings or some God that's a him. So for you to say you know, you're going to have to explain how you can be such an authority on mythology.

God used men to write the bible, but it remains God's word. Even so, I wasn't forcing the biblical account of God onto anyone in my post. I meant it in more of a 'for example, in the biblical account of God, this is wrong because of this' way.

Oh really. Please do tell us the history of this because in all my research I have found nothing of the such. Man wrote the bible and then a Greek Emporer named Constantine put it together while forming his new found Religion. A number of MEN, not women that had political agendas assembled it and burned any of the old documentation on reincarnation. So, please refrain from 'Speaking the Word' of God without digging deeper into the history of it.

Truth is relative to what one believes. It's too bad there are so many blind people in this world who just believe yet they don't take the time or effor to investigate and research that which they dedicate their lives to.

So? I love homosexuals, sure, and I won't say homosexuality is any worse than any other sin, but it remains sin.

Tell that to the preachers playing with little boys. If it's a sin, please provide proof of it and proof is not the bible.

TheLonelyPuritan;81808 wrote:

Who is he? Are you sure God isn't a father mother? Who told you God was Male? Oh, was that was Jesus mentioned? Understand that what Jesus said was never actually documented. It took decades of nobody knowing a Jesus before they verbally passed on these stories. Not to mention, most of the stories of Jesus were written by one maybe two men.

TheLonelyPuritan;81810 wrote:
The Scriptures testify to themselves. Still, I could never expect an unregenerate person such as yourself to be able to accept them.

But you would agree that if it was indeed God's word, then homosexuality would, in fact, be wrong?

It's wrong because you believe it's wrong. I'm speaking God's word right at this moment and God says that if he and Jesus Christ came here today in the flesh, you all would crucify him. The scripture is no testimony to anything because it's incomplete and not balanced and there are more scriptures out there and more bibles and more translations of the bible than we can shake a stick at.

I'm sorry pal, but this type of shooting from the hip crap about God and what he wants and what he thinks is bunk. We live in a world where the blind lead the blind and NOBODY has ever seen god or Jesus and likewise there has NEVER been any proof of the same. It's all stories and it always seems like it's the dumbed down version of humanity that buys into the crap.

I'd like to add as well that we are going to be opening some Religion forums to discuss this stuff even further and they will be opened very soon.
richrf

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 06:43 pm
@Justin,
I guess one can look at it that God wants certain people to get to heaven as soon as possible. Maybe? But I am not sure this is limited only to those who believe in him, since God works in a manner that we cannot understand.

How's this for a creative thought?

Rich
0 Replies

TheLonelyPuritan

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 07:06 pm
@Kielicious,
Kielicious;81814 wrote:
God owns my life!? This shows my moral superiority in that I dont endorse slavery. Owning another human being is one of the most disgusting acts that anyone can do, and yet its ok with you and god? So much for our (supposed) god-given free-will ay?

I don't endorse human's owning humans, but God owning humans is something totally different. A question, though: by what standard do you measure your own morality, to make such a foolish claim as to claim moral superiority to God?

Justin wrote:
Says who? Who told you this?

Well, if God is to be transcendent, there can be nothing above Him, by nature. This includes a standard of morality.

Quote:
Who told you it's true? Have you investigated at all how the book was formed and who made the decisions? For you to say that God does not like something, I'd have to ask, "How in the heck do you know?". The only bad thing is blind people following blind people into war and hurting others in the name of their God. Not to mention condemnation.

I've not so much studied the origin of the Old Testament books, but as for the New Testament, they were written by the apostles, or men close to the apostles. The actual canon of the Bible was around from before the council of Nicea (I believe that's the one), but that's where they decided to try to figure out what the true canon is. They ended up with our biblical canon today. Some churches also use the Apocrypha as part of the canon too, but that was decided much later.

Quote:
There's a forum called TalkJesus.com where there are a bunch of folks like yourself that simply believe in all kinds of crap. That's where you want to go because here we use logic and reason along with history and none of the above validate the bible, it's teachings or some God that's a him. So for you to say you know, you're going to have to explain how you can be such an authority on mythology.

Actually, I never meant to argue, in this thread, that the biblical God is the true God (though I did claim to hold to that position), I just used it as an example. Also, I think it's kind of offensive to call my beliefs 'all kinds of crap'.

Quote:
Oh really. Please do tell us the history of this because in all my research I have found nothing of the such. Man wrote the bible and then a Greek Emporer named Constantine put it together while forming his new found Religion. A number of MEN, not women that had political agendas assembled it and burned any of the old documentation on reincarnation. So, please refrain from 'Speaking the Word' of God without digging deeper into the history of it.

Not exactly. Constantine may have used Christianity for some political reasons, but he by no means made the religion.

Also, what historical evidence is there for your claim that the men who wrote the bible burned any old documentation on reincarnation?

Quote:
Truth is relative to what one believes. It's too bad there are so many blind people in this world who just believe yet they don't take the time or effor to investigate and research that which they dedicate their lives to.

I've done a fair amount of research. You act as if Christianity must be taken as false once research is done, when this is not the case. There are hundreds of people throughout history who had done the research and still wrote theology. Actually, doing the research strengthens theology.

Also, how can truth be relative? Is the statement 'truth is relative' an absolute statement? If it is, then is there not some absolute truth? If not, then why should I adhere to it?

Quote:
Tell that to the preachers playing with little boys. If it's a sin, please provide proof of it and proof is not the bible.

Well, if the God of the bible exists, then it follows that, since He decides what sin is, and He says homosexuality is wrong, then it is wrong.

Quote:
Who is he? Are you sure God isn't a father mother? Who told you God was Male? Oh, was that was Jesus mentioned? Understand that what Jesus said was never actually documented. It took decades of nobody knowing a Jesus before they verbally passed on these stories. Not to mention, most of the stories of Jesus were written by one maybe two men.

No one ever claimed that God was male. Still, I use 'He' when referring to Him because that's how Christians refer to Him. God does not have a sex or gender, He's God. Also, there are four tellings of Jesus' life, not one or two. Why would one person write four different documents?

Quote:
It's wrong because you believe it's wrong. I'm speaking God's word right at this moment and God says that if he and Jesus Christ came here today in the flesh, you all would crucify him. The scripture is no testimony to anything because it's incomplete and not balanced and there are more scriptures out there and more bibles and more translations of the bible than we can shake a stick at.

I would not crucify Jesus. Chances are, you all would. And in what way is the Scripture incomplete and not balanced? And what would the amount of translations have to do with anything? They're all translated from the same few sources, which are very close to the original?

Quote:
I'm sorry pal, but this type of shooting from the hip crap about God and what he wants and what he thinks is bunk. We live in a world where the blind lead the blind and NOBODY has ever seen god or Jesus and likewise there has NEVER been any proof of the same. It's all stories and it always seems like it's the dumbed down version of humanity that buys into the crap.

How do you know that nobody has ever seen God or Jesus? And it only seems like the dumbed down version of humanity that buys into 'the crap' because you presuppose that religious people are stupid while atheists are all intellectuals. This is false.

Quote:
I'd like to add as well that we are going to be opening some Religion forums to discuss this stuff even further and they will be opened very soon.

That would be wonderful.

I think I should say here that I might come across as a little blunt or rude because of my beliefs, but I honestly don't have anything against anyone here and don't mean to be offensive. Still, if it's the beliefs themselves that offend, then I will not apologize for that.
richrf

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 07:54 pm
@TheLonelyPuritan,
TheLonelyPuritan;81831 wrote:
I think I should say here that I might come across as a little blunt or rude because of my beliefs, but I honestly don't have anything against anyone here and don't mean to be offensive. Still, if it's the beliefs themselves that offend, then I will not apologize for that.

Hi there,

Seeing as God is on trial here and not you, then your beliefs should not offend anyone. It certainly doesn't offend me.

As for evil and such, do you or anyone else thinks that God sees it as such? I am speaking from the perspective of someone who believes in some external God such as one who embraces Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc. Also, do you or others believe that other religions, other than your own is evil? Would God agree?

Trying to stay on topic.

Rich

---------- Post added 08-07-2009 at 08:56 PM ----------

Hey Caroline,

Thanks for the Thank You! I thought it was pretty original. Smile I like it when someone poses a tough question and I can figure out a way to answer it. Exercises my mind.:Glasses:

Rich
TheLonelyPuritan

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 09:11 pm
@richrf,
richrf;81834 wrote:
Hi there,

Seeing as God is on trial here and not you, then your beliefs should not offend anyone. It certainly doesn't offend me.

As for evil and such, do you or anyone else thinks that God sees it as such? I am speaking from the perspective of someone who believes in some external God such as one who embraces Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc. Also, do you or others believe that other religions, other than your own is evil? Would God agree?

Trying to stay on topic.

Rich

Alright, great, then!

As for your question: Yes, I do think that a non Christian religion would be evil, because it teach a twisted concept of truth. For example, if Islam is true, then Christianity and Judaism are evil. If Judaism is true, same thing goes for Christianity and Islam. Same goes for anything other than the Abrahamic religions. If a religion claims to be the only exclusive religion, and it is true, then all other ones are not true. Untruth is evil.
richrf

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 09:16 pm
@TheLonelyPuritan,
TheLonelyPuritan;81838 wrote:
Alright, great, then!

As for your question: Yes, I do think that a non Christian religion would be evil, because it teach a twisted concept of truth. For example, if Islam is true, then Christianity and Judaism are evil. If Judaism is true, same thing goes for Christianity and Islam. Same goes for anything other than the Abrahamic religions. If a religion claims to be the only exclusive religion, and it is true, then all other ones are not true. Untruth is evil.

Hi thanks for your reply. Then in light of your previous statement:

Quote:
I think I should say here that I might come across as a little blunt or rude because of my beliefs, but I honestly don't have anything against anyone here and don't mean to be offensive.

I take you at your word that you do not have anything against anyone here. However, I am sure there are many people who believe in non-Christian religions. Do you think they are evil for believing such? Do you hold this against them?

Thanks.

Rich
Justin

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 09:51 pm
@TheLonelyPuritan,
Well, if God is to be transcendent, there can be nothing above Him, by nature. This includes a standard of morality.

Yes but what's transcendent? Explain it. Scientifically we know certain things. We know we're all energy. We know all kinds of things and we use what we know and research to move forward. So when you say transcendent, transcendent to what? My point is MAN wrote the book over long periods of time. The same men who wrote it knew the world was flat during those times. Many years prior to that, man worshiped the sun and we know this. They called the sun God. Wasn't long and man came up with new Gods to explain the unexplainable.

God or the idea of a God is something man has created over thousands of years to explain what he cannot explain. This allows man to place the burden not on themselves but on a deity or a mythological creature or being or whatever it is that takes our responsibility out of it. Naturally that would be good and evil. God and the Devil.

Much of this has to do with one word, 'FEAR'. It's how we operate in this world today. If the powers that be at the time of this forming of the 'New Religion' could somehow raise the level of fear, they could control populations of people and the politics of it. By fear we still live. We know in science that any cell experience fear, ceases to grow, the lights go dim. Yet in the fear of a mythological God do we believe.

It's gets deep my friend. We must not stop and hang our hats on tradition if we really want to know truth. Today, more than ever before is truth available more people on this earth than we have right here on the internet. Our ability to share documentation, collaborate and branch out across the web to remote parts of the world and understand that they see the world differently and worship a different God than us. There are hundreds if not thousands of Gods that man has created to be his guiding light and men have spoken and been given words from them all.

The time to understand all this stuff with the resources available to us is now. There has never been a better time to put God on trial and try to understand who or what he or she or it is and why?

Didn't mean sound obnoxious on the first post but some of this stuff gets my goat. I've listened to these lies my entire life. I loved Jesus Christ, I loved God, I didn't understand a darn thing all I understood is what was taught by my parents and my interaction with my immediate surroundings and unique experiences that have brought me here to this thread. I swear up and down that it wasn't until I actually looked did I begin to discover just how many of us follow a path blindly.

I've not so much studied the origin of the Old Testament books, but as for the New Testament, they were written by the apostles, or men close to the apostles. The actual canon of the Bible was around from before the council of Nicea (I believe that's the one), but that's where they decided to try to figure out what the true canon is. They ended up with our biblical canon today. Some churches also use the Apocrypha as part of the canon too, but that was decided much later.

Yeah, there's a lot of history in that book. Lots of politics and what not and there are some good stories. Historians however, based on facts and time frames and anything they can put together, have some pretty finite periods and times, dates and old writings. The new testament books of the gospel are suspected to be written by only two people. They've also discovered that the words of Jesus weren't actually written while Jesus would have been there. They were actually stories told several decades after Jesus Christ would have deceased. Also, many books of the bible or many of the ancient writings were burned. The book is what it is... it's assembly of was of great importance in the political period of that time.

ADDED: Besides, we're only talking about a small part of the world. What experiences do we think others shared and books they had written?

Actually, I never meant to argue, in this thread, that the biblical God is the true God (though I did claim to hold to that position), I just used it as an example. Also, I think it's kind of offensive to call my beliefs 'all kinds of crap'.

I agree about the crap. Sorry, I was a little wound up and in all seriousness, if it's not investigated thoroughly, what else can we call it? LOL. Just giving you a hard time. Glad you're here.

Not exactly. Constantine may have used Christianity for some political reasons, but he by no means made the religion.

Well not exactly created it from scratch but took it over and created somewhat of a new flavor of Christianity. The Christians were worshiping this story about Jesus and they were a relatively small group that grew in size as they started getting people to follow. Constantine put together the first new Christian Bible which was for this new flavor of Christianity. Today there are many flavors with different and varying bibles.

My point is, if God be on trial, who is he? Is there such a thing and then if there is, which God fits the best?

Also, what historical evidence is there for your claim that the men who wrote the bible burned any old documentation on reincarnation?

Christians in history had a bad habit of burning texts and when they voted to have the three chapters removed that mentioned reincarnation, the biblical texts during those times were burned and then the new bible was rewritten. Reincarnation was actually believed by early Christians.

I've done a fair amount of research. You act as if Christianity must be taken as false once research is done, when this is not the case. There are hundreds of people throughout history who had done the research and still wrote theology. Actually, doing the research strengthens theology.

Sure, however I've not met any that can go on anything other than pure faith. My experience with Christianity is different from yours but so is everyone elses. We're all divided and going to wars and fighting and arguing and we all have these varied Gods.

Theology, science, physics, archeology, history, religion, metaphysics, spirituality... and much more has to come full circle to give them a greater understanding of it. Even then it would take a lifetime of understanding. Meanwhile, we still wake up in the morning and go about our day.

Also, how can truth be relative? Is the statement 'truth is relative' an absolute statement? If it is, then is there not some absolute truth? If not, then why should I adhere to it?

Truth is relative to he whom perceives that truth. Meaning your truth and my truth and their truth could very well, all be different truths. We all think they are true and have faith they are truth... Which one is truth? You tell me.

Well, if the God of the bible exists, then it follows that, since He decides what sin is, and He says homosexuality is wrong, then it is wrong.

The God of which Bible. Characteristics and the texts and the stories have all been changed and it was several bibles. The Hebrew bible, the Torah, and the New testament. All of which were carefully chosen under political strain. Prior to that, which book. The bible came from many books. The the books became many bibles. Then there were many gods.

No one ever claimed that God was male. Still, I use 'He' when referring to Him because that's how Christians refer to Him. God does not have a sex or gender, He's God. Also, there are four tellings of Jesus' life, not one or two. Why would one person write four different documents?

God is a word used to describe a deity in a world with many questions. Man makes these Gods. He or she doesn't matter, it's a word for describing something unknown.

As far as writing 4 documents, who knows. Some historians and document experts say 3. Here is a link to some more history on wikipedia English Modern Bible Translations:

Quote:
In this period the roles of printer and publisher were not necessarily as now, and the accuracy of the information given on title pages cannot be relied on. The person named as translator might at most be an editor, since all Bible versions depended heavily on Tyndale's and/or Coverdale's work. Printers and others involved in the publication sometimes worked under pseudonyms. Dates and places of publication might also be given incorrectly.

Identification of a particular Bible as belonging to a specific edition is complicated by the flexibility of the whole production process at the time. The text, being set in movable type, could be corrected or changed in the middle of a print run; thus copies of a given edition may differ on some pages. Also, at the binding stage, a title page from one edition might be combined with text from another edition. The exact origins of a Bible can therefore only be determined by detailed examination of the text. Print runs for early Bibles were relatively short by present-day standards; typically perhaps 1000-2500 copies.
I would not crucify Jesus. Chances are, you all would. And in what way is the Scripture incomplete and not balanced? And what would the amount of translations have to do with anything? They're all translated from the same few sources, which are very close to the original?

They would. Technically we do it every day. Wasn't it Jesus that said, "Whatever you neglected to do unto one of these least of these, you neglected to do unto Me!". Was that not the way that Jesus shows? The bible has been pulled apart, stepped on, altered and then delivered today.

How do you know that nobody has ever seen God or Jesus? And it only seems like the dumbed down version of humanity that buys into 'the crap' because you presuppose that religious people are stupid while atheists are all intellectuals. This is false.

How do you know they have? Does a hallucination count? I think religious people with closed minds going on only faith and then proselytizing their God to others rather than discovering God for themselves is sort of stupid in my opinion. That's not to directed towards anyone but it was stupid to me as a young boy and it still sorta is. I talk to a lot of people and it amazes me that most don't want to look, they just want to tell you about their god.

No problem. We all have our hiccups. I too was a little blunt and better described as gruff and apologize if it came out the wrong way.

Peace!
0 Replies

click here

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 10:10 pm
@richrf,
Krumple;81807 wrote:
This doesn't make any sense, that statement is nothing other than delusional. It would be like digging a deep pit in a play ground and covering it over to blend in with the grass. Then when the children are playing and one happens to fall in, you say, well it wasn't the person who dug the pit's fault, it was the child for falling into the pit.

It is idiotic to make statements like that, so why do theists keep making them? Because they use backwards reasoning, they start with "god exists" and fill in all the gaps in the logic even if the answers make absolutely no sense. The areas in which they can not seem to fill get filled with a "god's will" statement and all further questioning get's abandoned.

For being a being with the ability to think and use reasoning, why do you abandon it? Just to keep from the realization that your invisible friend isn't real?

Do not forget that Gods existence is assumed within the context of this thread.

Our sinful nature is due to Adams choice. How does that not make sense? Maybe my wording was poor, please use this analogy to understand.

(Assuming this scenario is possible for simplicity): Let us assume your grandfather had is DNA altered before fathering any children to only produce children with blonde hair and with the DNA to also only produce children with blonde hair for all generations.

Who is responsible for your inability to produce offspring that will have any hair color other then blonde? Your grandfather obviously, as you had no say in the matter though now you live through the consequences of his own choices.

Kielicious;81814 wrote:

The fallacy in your argument is that you presuppose your moral views as absolute truth. Though I think you are getting the wrong view of God's ownership. If you draw a picture you have every right to do what ever you wish to do with it.

If God created you then He has every right to do what ever He pleases to do with you. He made you, he owns you, that is where the ownership comes in. Your viewing slavery as taking away someones own personal right to freedom, there is nothing to take away from that which you do not already own.

Justin wrote:

Assuming that you are an atheist whom believes murder is wrong:

Tell that to the serial killers. If murder is wrong, please provide proof of it and proof is not your opinion or others.

*HINT*
Proving that murder dampens societal growth, is not desired by others etc... only proves that which it states. You may choose to define something "wrong" as that which follows the pattern of the above. Though in doing so you create an opinion/standard (whether shared or not) which can only be validated by those whom also hold that opinion/standard. That opinion/standard is easily relational to the Bible as that which defines what is a sin. Your demands are quite odd...

I would like to point out that you rightly say that many follow blindly or as I would put it at least with less guidance then there is available. Sure, I'm no expert in any area of the broad topic of Christianity. Though the areas I have not studied I assume them as truth for now with the intention to study more as I get to it.

I think anyone who is actively pursuing to validate their beliefs is in the green. Though those whom just assume with no desire to learn why, are leaning towards the red. I sometimes will like to remind someone "Never forget to question." Meaning, don't just assume, find out why.