Thought is pre-language Our thoughts are not in language

Richardgrant

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 04:51 pm
@pam69ur,
I have just written a book called 'Give It No Thought.' As I pondered the difference between inner thinking which is subjective and dimensionless, which puts the energy of the creator within in motion. this where I create that which I manifest on the outer. where I see thought as outer thinking, which is objective and limited. its at this level I separate myself from God and become the prodigal son, so my philosophy now is to give no thought to anything on the outer,
BrightNoon

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 03:57 pm
@Richardgrant,
Well, I think ill reserve comment for now, until I think about this some more. But, I have a question for you.

When I read or simply sit and think there is an inner monologue, which is essentially speech; I assume this is common to almost everyone. If a person were born deaf, they could not have an inner monologue. What would the nature of their thinking be, visual? :perplexed:
Richardgrant

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 04:06 pm
@BrightNoon,
Hi Brightnoon, my understanding is inner mind thinking is where I create that which I wish or desire to manifest in my life, it would not matter if I was deaf or blind, what appears in the material world is a reflection of my creation, whether I like it or not.
Robert Drane

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 11:46 pm
@Richardgrant,
Maybe I should have put this response in this thread:

Well, I suppose the mess of pre-configured narratives we have still cause us to act in some way. Freud might call them unconscious motivations. According to Ricoeur, we configure those narratives with the cohesive force of language, and once we've configured them we can re-configure them. This is sort of homologous with Freud's three-storied structure for the human mind.
0 Replies

mythster

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 01:03 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
Well, I think ill reserve comment for now, until I think about this some more. But, I have a question for you.

When I read or simply sit and think there is an inner monologue, which is essentially speech; I assume this is common to almost everyone. If a person were born deaf, they could not have an inner monologue. What would the nature of their thinking be, visual? :perplexed:

The question is: "How do you experience thought? Is it in words, symbols, music or some other sensation?"
Personally, I do think in words, in fact the language I think in will vary according to the stimulus and subject matter. As a "Bi-lingual" whose first exposure to the art of cooking happened while I was living in France, when I think of "cuisine", I think in French and sometimes in Italian but when I think about Philosophy and science my thoughts are in English. If "our thoughts are not in language":devilish:, am I hallucinating?
Quatl

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 02:59 pm
@mythster,
mythster wrote:
The question is: "How do you experience thought? Is it in words, symbols, music or some other sensation?"
Personally, I do think in words, in fact the language I think in will vary according to the stimulus and subject matter. As a "Bi-lingual" whose first exposure to the art of cooking happened while I was living in France, when I think of "cuisine", I think in French and sometimes in Italian but when I think about Philosophy and science my thoughts are in English. If "our thoughts are not in language":devilish:, am I hallucinating?

No you're not hallucinating. I do believe you are translating though, from the source constructs of thought into a verbal form.
paulhanke

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 03:33 pm
@Quatl,
Quatl wrote:
I do believe you are translating though, from the source constructs of thought into a verbal form.

... and an incomplete form, at that ... just think about your favorite food ... relish the memory of the exquisite aromas, the alluring visuals, the gorgeous taste as it explodes in your mouth ... now describe it to me in words to the point where I am completely and overwhelmingly experiencing your memory of it with the exact clarity and strength that you are ... can it be done? ...
0 Replies