Thought is pre-language Our thoughts are not in language

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 05:05 pm
@pam69ur,
Quote:
How can a being understand what I am saying without understanding what I mean?

Imagine some alien humanoid species that can reason, but does not have emotion. If you say to him "I feel sad" he would be able to understand what you say, but not what you mean because he has no experience of sadness.
de Silentio

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 08:11 pm
@pam69ur,
Quote:

Imagine some alien humanoid species that can reason, but does not have emotion. If you say to him "I feel sad" he would be able to understand what you say, but not what you mean because he has no experience of sadness.

Since this being has no experience of sadness, what use is his reason in understanding it? Reason does not work by itself, it works in conjuction with experience to create the knowledge which enables one to understand.

Furthermore, it seems to me that even our ability to reason is aided by experience. If your alien being has never experienced sadness, then his ability to reason effectively would be drastically hindered when it comes to understanding sadness, or any emotion for that matter.
Quatl

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 09:23 am
@de Silentio,
de Silentio wrote:
Since this being has no experience of sadness, what use is his reason in understanding it? Reason does not work by itself, it works in conjuction with experience to create the knowledge which enables one to understand.

Furthermore, it seems to me that even our ability to reason is aided by experience. If your alien being has never experienced sadness, then his ability to reason effectively would be drastically hindered when it comes to understanding sadness, or any emotion for that matter.

It would be hindered, however he could still understand "I am sad" in (at least) these ways:

The person is experiencing a sensation called sadness.

Sadness is a feeling that humans have when certain kinds of bad things happen.

Something bad has happened to this human.

Is any of my recent behavior among those things which humans have said made them sad? Perhaps I should apologize, or offer sympathetic comments to smooth over the relationship. (humans seem to expect this even when sympathy and empathy are absent between them.)

This human may behave in certain ways now that he is "sad." I can extrapolate from past experiences of sad humans to make some predictions.

This human may not be truthful, as he is smiling as he said it, but prior humans who said this were frowning, or crying as they did so.
-
I'm sure there are other ways that the being could "understand" us based on this statement.
No0ne

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 10:18 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Anthropologically language and thought probably co-evolved.

But the real question philosophically is the following:

Which can exist without the other?

Language cannot exist without thought. There is no way. But thought can indeed exist without language.

How complex could thoughts be without language? Well, if you took a potential brilliant philosophical genius at infancy, raised him in a room with no features, never let him interact with other humans, never taught him a language, and he survived to adulthood, what could he think? Could he ever generate complex thoughts? Could he understand anything more than the most basic cause and effect relationships?

The thing is that our thoughts are trained and nurtured by interaction with others, chiefly our parents and siblings, but also in school. And language (whether spoken or Braille or sign language or whatever) is the common currency of that growth process.

Also to add onto your thought's of such.

Language cannot be within are thought if we do not have a perception of that language that would be turned into thought that we can understand.

Also the act of preceiving the perception of lanuage and thought, is another factor that effect's how we think, see, and display all thing's we do, and say to other's.

But it seems likly the brain would only have a need for the mind, if it was first intended for the act of self-presavation, by mean's of communication with one another collectively, which would mean we would have to have the same mean's of displaying are thought's and action's within the same perception of are own and other's.

So in short, yes that person could create complex thought's, but they would be created in a way that only that person could understand, therefore his perception of all thing's would be diffrent from our's, and allso are perception of his action's would be.

The brain dosnt speak english but it can function correctly, mainly because it know's what is what, and what that dose, with "That" during this and that process.. therefore it's language wouldnt be in a way we could understand, a transaltion would be needed, it also applie's to people that use sign, and brail for the mean's of communication to other's.. a translation is allways needed.

But to answer your question (Which can exist without the other?)
well... thought is a mean's of communication and language to one's self, this dosnt mean that another person need's to understand it :/ so thought is language and language is thought. because there all made in the same spot.

--=Thank you for your time on reading this I hope it wasnt to long of a post for such an comment=--
0 Replies

No0ne

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 10:34 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

correct, there would be know way for him to know what that person truly felt, but he would preceive how the word was used, and macth it to the action's that led him to using the word sad, therefore after time a understanding of what makes that person sad and what dose not can be created,

But it's hard to say that he could not experience sadness, but mostlikly there bodies wouldnt have the same physical reaction, to compair are sad action to.

So if when your sad you dont do some thing's like, you were to chat on line the oppisite of when your not. that could be a point of reference for the alien to relate to, but the word's would not be the same, nor would the phyiscal brain's method of creating the sadness, but the action's that they do would be the same. So when the alien gose to a chat room and act's the oppisite of normal, he could say he was sad, only after analization of what would be and what would not be an action that display's (Sad). So yes he would have no experience of sadness, before he knew what sadness is, but that wouldnt mean that at a later point of time he couldnt experience or relate to the action's that sadness create's.

Translation and understanding of another's action's and the same shared perception of those action's are a needed. other wise he couldnt see through the eye's of the other, as if he was really the other.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 10:45 pm
@pam69ur,
Quote:

Right. Therefore, the alien could understand what you say (something like 'the human is experiencing some particularly human emotion that is unpleasant') but he could know what you mean, he could not empathize, he couldn't understand what it is to be sad.

Quote:

As you say, reason does not work by itself. Reason is a tool. Even thought the alien has no experience of the emotion sadness, or even if the alien has no experience of emotion whatsoever, the law of noncontradiction is equally as valid.

Quote:
But it seems likly the brain would only have a need for the mind, if it was first intended for the act of self-presavation, by mean's of communication with one another collectively, which would mean we would have to have the same mean's of displaying are thought's and action's within the same perception of are own and other's.

I'm not sure the mind/brain exists for self preservation. It seems more likely it exists for the preservation of the group. They allow us to give complex warnings to the group, and complex advice. They also allow us to have the sort of emotions to be willing to die for the sake of the group, or other members of said group.
0 Replies

Doobah47

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 05:11 pm
@No0ne,
No0ne wrote:
correct, there would be know way for him to know what that person truly felt, but he would preceive how the word was used, and macth it to the action's that led him to using the word sad, therefore after time a understanding of what makes that person sad and what dose not can be created,

But it's hard to say that he could not experience sadness, but mostlikly there bodies wouldnt have the same physical reaction, to compair are sad action to.

Translation and understanding of another's action's and the same shared perception of those action's are a needed. other wise he couldnt see through the eye's of the other, as if he was really the other.

Surely, if the alien had a similar type of brain to a human, one capable of responding to regular events, such as the event of sadness which occurs supposedly due to cause and effect, then the alien would learn how to respond to the sadness thus developing a routine reaction to a known event. The alien would also learn to predict sadness by rational means, and develop the ability to modify the human's mood through rational observation. So if the alien were extremely sensitive to changes in the human's mood, it would develop a complete understanding of human emotion, and would be capable of causing mood swings by telling jokes for example. Would the alien then become aware of exactly when and how emotions arise, thus he would develop a type of rational emotion, reacting to certain situations in the same fashion as a human, so it could be said that an innocent bystander might mistake the alien for having emotions.

This is quite a nice analogy for knowing all properties of a thing yet not quite understanding its incomprehensible spirit; like some kind of particle for example.
urangutan

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 06:22 pm
@Doobah47,
Aristoddler, I am with you on this one. You cannot have thought without language. Language can be in any form, a picture, an inaudible sound, a hand gesture even the vision of a death. Meanings of language is what the arguement should be about. As far as I can tell all thought is in English. Maybe people with a different language in their upbringing have pictorial thoughts so as to avoid thinking in English which they do not understand or they are like the French who won't accept that it is a better language. I just thought what to write next and whole process was in a language, English.
0 Replies

aaron the red

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 03:31 am
@pam69ur,
pam69ur wrote:
It is argued that thought is pre-linquistic. That any attempt to find the essence of thought ends in self-contradiction or paradox. Any attempt to assign an essence to thought ie language images concepts or any "thing" ends in self-contradiction What ever thought is it cannot be rationally discovered What ever constitutes thought will remain forever a mystery Its nature or essence is outside the possiblities of language and logic to discover. Analytical philosophers claims that thought is language-that without language there can be no thought collapse into self-contradiction and with it the whole anayltical philosophical enterprise of a language based language centred thought philosophy

http://gamahucherpress.yellowgum.com/books/philosophy/contentlessthought.pdf Contentless Thought: Case Study in the Madhyamika demonstrations of the meaninglessness of all views].

those philosophers who say you cannot think without language are wrong. i know this because i have actually tried it. you can have a complete thought without putting it into words. the point of linguistic thought i think, is it helps us communicate with ourselves more clearly. that certainly doesn't explain why we do it though.
chad3006

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 10:56 am
@aaron the red,
aaron the red wrote:
those philosophers who say you cannot think without language are wrong. i know this because i have actually tried it. you can have a complete thought without putting it into words. the point of linguistic thought i think, is it helps us communicate with ourselves more clearly. that certainly doesn't explain why we do it though.

I agree. I've done it too. Those "Eureka!" moments don't come from language. I first have the "Eureka!" then I think of the words necessary to communicate that idea to someone else. Not to mention, the ideas that I have that are tied to so many other things that it would impossible for me to describe using language.
boagie

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 11:43 am
@chad3006,
:)The first language is that of image, it is the language of the subconscious, of dream, of myth, and of creative thought. language of the spoken word is communication, the language of image is the language of the understanding, the language of the body.Wink
0 Replies

soullight

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 01:28 pm
@boagie,
Thoughts are impulses of information, which purveys an intuitive understanding about something or someone. This is an internal lauguage of the mind, which has the capacity to communicate with the dominating thought or feeling in order to make connections for the purpose of minipulating, and so, shaping reality. Words are merely lables, which facilitate our ability to organize thoughts in sequence, according to what we are aspiring to achieve. Words are simply sounds to help meld thoughts together to complete a particular purpose. We associate these words with thoughts to enjender an action. This is my view, I might be wrong. I'm quite open to correction.
Zetetic11235

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 11:52 pm
@soullight,
It is all about context, the enviroment which surrounds you that charges the words with meaning. Semantics is difficult to determine without the exact same context as the writer or speaker. Many ideas can be viewed from very many more perspectives and the meaning behind these ideas is the summed perspectives that the expressor has considered and how he has drawn upon other experiences to weigh the perspectives and determine the value of each of them to form his conclusions which are then used to make decisions. This is how it seems to me that words are given meaning and then applied.
Not sure about any of you, but I often feel somthing before I translate it into words, I often have to translate physical feelings and visual mental images into words. In other words; I will often know that i have the answer to somthing before I can put words to it or I might see a visual answer to somthing before I have it translated into the correct words or symbols.
mythster

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 03:20 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;15657 wrote:
It is all about context, the enviroment which surrounds you that charges the words with meaning. Semantics is difficult to determine without the exact same context as the writer or speaker. Many ideas can be viewed from very many more perspectives and the meaning behind these ideas is the summed perspectives that the expressor has considered and how he has drawn upon other experiences to weigh the perspectives and determine the value of each of them to form his conclusions which are then used to make decisions. This is how it seems to me that words are given meaning and then applied.
Not sure about any of you, but I often feel somthing before I translate it into words, I often have to translate physical feelings and visual mental images into words. In other words; I will often know that i have the answer to somthing before I can put words to it or I might see a visual answer to somthing before I have it translated into the correct words or symbols.

What do you "feel"?
Is it a tickling sensation in your nose or a burning sensation in the souls of your feet? :devilish: Forgive me if that seems facetious but I honestly can not imagine thought without words (or some reasonable facsimile thereof). I did have a good friend who was a very talented painter albeit never recognized who inisisted that he thought in visual images and insisted he never thought "words at all" Let's suppose, that you or someone like you experiences these non-verbal thoughts. How do you communicate these to others and if you do, how do you know that your translation expresses the "true meaning"
I could imagine that our language deprived pre-historic ancestors might have experienced some kinds of brain activity in the cortex but were the experiences "thought" or merely impressions or simple reactions to stumuli?
0 Replies

FatalMuse

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 05:02 pm
@Quatl,
Quatl wrote:
however he could still understand "I am sad"

If the human were to say to the alian "I am sad", and the alien has a literal understanding of langauge, he would respond along the lines of: "I'm pleased to meet you, Sad."

If the human were to say "I am feeling sad" I think the only deduction that the alien could make is "Sad is a feeling that this human is experiencing" but without grasping what it means - unless the alien observes multiple humans feeling sad. He still won't know what it is to feel sad, but he will understand that humans experience this emotion and probably be able to indentify it by symptons and reactions.

I'm of the belief that language is thought. You can sense things without langauge, but I don't believe you can think about them. I think thought & language are synchronous.
Quatl

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 01:25 pm
@FatalMuse,
FatalMuse wrote:

I'm of the belief that language is thought. You can sense things without langauge, but I don't believe you can think about them. I think thought & language are synchronous.

Then how is it that I sometimes feel unable to articulate a thought that I'm having?
FatalMuse

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 02:58 pm
@Quatl,
Quatl wrote:
Then how is it that I sometimes feel unable to articulate a thought that I'm having?

I think feel is the key word there. In my opinion, it's sense-data that you feel you should be expanding on but haven't developed into thought yet.

I also find it a difficult question because I obviously can't ask you for an example.

"What thought are you having trouble expressing?"
"Well, you see... that's the problem.."

Thoughts should be communicable, otherwise they're sensations.

If one has a thought they can't express, then it can always be questioned whether this thought exists at all. All you can express is the inability to exrpess the thought, which would make it seem more like a personal emotion rather than a thought.

I'm quickly realising I'm completely unqualified to discuss this topic :perplexed:.
paulhanke

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 09:27 pm
@FatalMuse,
... I recall reading about an epileptic whose language center would be temporarily affected by his seizures (maybe it was in one of Ramachandran's books) ... for a short time after a mild seizure, he would completely lose his language capabilities - he couldn't speak, read, write, or even think in language ... yet he was completely aware of himself and his surroundings, could function socially, and had full recall after language returned to him ... during these episodes he would communicate with facial expression, gesticulation, and mime ... now if only I could remember where I read that :puzzled: ...
paulhanke

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 09:51 pm
@paulhanke,
... found it - Merlin Donald, "The Origins of the Modern Mind" ...

Quote:

... and he kept a portable radio handy, in order to periodically test his ability to comprehend what he heard on it. In other words, he was fully conscious and able to cope with the situation, despite the absence of language. Moreover, he had full recall of the episode later.

The extent to which he retained the ability to cope with practical challenges was quite remarkable. One episode, while he was traveling in Switzerland, was particularly striking. He found himself at the peak of one of his seizures as he arrived at his destination, a town he had never seen before. He took his baggage and managed to disembark. Although he could not read or speak, he managed to find a hotel and show his medic-alert bracelet to the concierge, only to be sent away. He then found another hotel, received a more sympathetic reception, communicated by mime, and was given a room. He was able to execute various procedures which formed a framework for linguistic operations; for example, he was able to point out to the desk clerk where in his passport to find the information required to fill out his registration slip, while not being able to read it himself. ...

A number of important conclusions can be drawn from this case. First, despite the complete absence of language, internal or external, (he) was able to cope in ways that are uniquely human. He was capable of coherent thought, able to recognize music, voices, and faces, and the use of objects and places. His spatial orientation and basic mechanical intelligence were intact. His episodic memory for the events of his seizures was accurate ...

Finally, both gestural ability and practical knowledge were intact. He could imitate or reproduce on demand a wide variety of gestures. He could tune a radio, operate an elevator, and, as the Switzerland episode shows, assess and respond appropriately to a social situation of some complexity. All of this was achieved in the absence of visual or oral language, and in the absence of internal speech as well. In his own retrospective account, he claimed that he could not "find the words" for things and events. Nevertheless, he could think about them coherently, deal with them appropriately, and remember them later.
Quatl

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 05:56 am
@paulhanke,
@FatalMuse: I think maybe your proposed separation of "sensation" and "thought" could use some deeper evaluation. I'm not sure it holds water. Can sensation (without thought) reveal connections or functional understanding of the system being observed?

If not what I'm describing is not sensation under your definition. I have an experience fairly often, where after working on a problem for a long time, I feel a sudden revelation, where the answer floods my consciousness apparently from nowhere. Initially I can't even articulate this answer to myself, it takes mental effort to extract the thought into a verbal form that I can write down and then use to address the problem in the real world.

Even before I can articulate it though I do "know" the answer, and I am already processing it's consequences, checking the results of the proposition against other information I know for example. That is I am using knowledge and getting true answers without using linguistic thought methods.

A related phenomena happens when I am writing code. When the program becomes too complicated to internally articulate my mind switches to a non verbal mode of understanding, where I literally feel (it is like imagining a physical touch sensation) the interconnections between the various parts of the program's structure. Usually during these moments my mind's voice is completely silent; but after a while the answers I need begin to form, at first abstractly as a sensational experience, and then more slowly translation into linguistic structures begins and I can resume writing code.

The work that I arrive at this way is the most elegant code I ever produce. It is generally more bountiful (as assessed by other programmers too) faster and "cleaner" than code produced via the usual linguistic pounding away method.

@paulhanke: That is a very interesting account.
0 Replies