How does one know God without religion?

Ding an Sich

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 07:55 pm
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:

Better: God is inthe heart of everyone.

When one of us is at the bottom of their life, you could say they have "lost their mind." But, no, it's that their mind has dropped into their heart. They then speak and live, from the heart. Have you never seen or listened to such a person?

So how does any of this prove that God "is in the heart of everyone"? Are you trying to make a connection between God and Mind? Are you trying to make some appeal to experience to show that God "is in the heart of everyone"? Really, what are you trying to say? :-/
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 08:23 pm
Quote:
It can not be done very well.....God is a creation of the collective mind as much as we are created by God. Without Religion (linking back to the spirit of our ancestors) we can not know God. We can have an individual spiritualism, and many do these day, and these people often call something God, but being detached from the past this can not be the God.
dpmartin

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2011 06:58 am
@Ding an Sich,
Ding an Sich wrote:

So the only way you know that the Bible is the word of God comes from the Holy Spirit? But, if I may be so bold, is not the Holy Spirit, God? So in this case you are saying that God gave you this knowledge? Is this not begging the question precisely because I asked you to prove that God exists, and yet you are assuming that, well, God exists? You do realize that is fallacious correct?

This is of course assuming that you think that Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and God the Father are all three distinct entities and yet identical (which might I add makes no sense whatsoever. If two, three, four, or n amount of things are identical to each other, then there is really only one thing).

So at this juncture you have to either A) Come up with a new argument as to how you know the Bible is the Word of God B) Ditch the Trinity or C) Some other recourse of action that requires something nonsensical (or perhaps not-so nonsensical).

Good day.

Ding an Sich

thanks for the reply

Though I understand that the trinity doesn’t make sense to you, but consider.

Don’t you have to be present in the world, for your will to be heard in the world? Then why would God who is Spirit be Present in Spirit for His Will, the Father (Creator of all things, hence father of all things) to be heard, His Word, be so nonsensical? When it’s like one’s own presence in the world.
Ding an Sich

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2011 08:04 am
@dpmartin,
dpmartin wrote:

Ding an Sich

thanks for the reply

Though I understand that the trinity doesn’t make sense to you, but consider.

Why consider something that is epistemologically unsound? I accept the logical, as well as metaphysical, assertion that a=a. Why would I accept in addition to this the axiom a=~a? Why would I even consider this?

dpmartin wrote:

Don’t you have to be present in the world, for your will to be heard in the world? Then why would God who is Spirit be Present in Spirit for His Will, the Father (Creator of all things, hence father of all things) to be heard, His Word, be so nonsensical? When it’s like one’s own presence in the world.

Well that all depends on whether or not there is a "will" which is something you would have to prove.

And what on earth is "Spirit"? I feel as though I am reading Hegel all over again.

The reason why it is nonsensical is due to the fact that Jesus is God and yet they have different properties. God the Father never took on human form, and yet His son, who happened to be himself (assuming that Christ is all God and all man) took on human form. So he took on human form and did not take on human form, which is a contradiction. Regardless of the Word, regardless of His Presence on earth, the Trinity has to be dealt with, because it implies so many absurdities.

Further, how can a being who is outside the world speak in the world?
dpmartin

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2011 08:10 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
It can not be done very well.....God is a creation of the collective mind as much as we are created by God. Without Religion (linking back to the spirit of our ancestors) we can not know God. We can have an individual spiritualism, and many do these day, and these people often call something God, but being detached from the past this can not be the God.

hawkeye10
thanks for the reply

Yes but many things are passed down from generation to generation and are upheld or disregarded by the receiving generation by the practice or the lack of practice thereof.

But your statement:”God is a creation of the collective mind as much as we are created by God.” I am not sure I know what you mean .
0 Replies

dpmartin

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2011 11:03 am
@Ding an Sich,
Ding an Sich

thanks for the reply

Ding an Sich wrote:

Why consider something that is epistemologically unsound? I accept the logical, as well as metaphysical, assertion that a=a. Why would I accept in addition to this the axiom a=~a? Why would I even consider this?

Well that all depends on whether or not there is a "will" which is something you would have to prove.

And what on earth is "Spirit"? I feel as though I am reading Hegel all over again.

The reason why it is nonsensical is due to the fact that Jesus is God and yet they have different properties. God the Father never took on human form, and yet His son, who happened to be himself (assuming that Christ is all God and all man) took on human form. So he took on human form and did not take on human form, which is a contradiction. Regardless of the Word, regardless of His Presence on earth, the Trinity has to be dealt with, because it implies so many absurdities.

Though this will probable not answer your questions to your satisfaction:

If a infant is crying, isn’t he expressing his will, while present in the world? Though yes it could from want need or pain, he is still expressing his will for the satisfaction thereof. Would that be true? If no one is in the child’s presence then no one hears. If no one understands what it is that he is expressing, he still is expressing his will for the satisfaction.

If some one is dissatisfied with a result, he is dissatisfied with the truth thereof. For the judgement is the result. Even though the result is true, the result is not his will, or desire, or expectation, or he would be satisfied.

Logic and reason has it’s place in our society among men, and is valuable to say the least. But is it the physical result of satisfaction? Logic and reason is used in the service of decision making to accomplish a will, an expectation, a desired result. However, logic and reason is not the result that satisfies, nor the will it serves. Some understand logic and reason, but all understand the satisfaction in eating, and breathing. We are all born into need and want, and know that it is our own will, to be satisfied therein. To eat and be satisfied is a knowledge experienced, which does not require contemplation to be true. Though the digestion thereof, is a part of the process, which allows one to eat again.

It’s not rocket surgery, nor brain science. Wink Not all things that exist, require man’s logic and reasoning in order to exist.

There is such a thing as mind over matter, but it is only over what it can take charge of. And there is much more in existence then the mind, or what is in the mind, that the mind can not take charge of. And if it is true that just because some one thinks something doesn’t make it true. Then the mind can’t prove nothing is true, it can only realize something is true. The mind can’t control, or prove what is, it can only come to the realization of what is.

Since the result of God’s Will is Life everlasting in His Presence, why is that a problem for you? If the logic and reasoning you are using comes for those who do not know the Living God, then how could that logic and reasoning ever reveal the Living God to you? I can not offer you what is not mine to offer. Which would be the proof that there is the Living God, or that Jesus is the Christ or the Presence of God is truly knowable. Only God has that to offer, the Knowledge of His Presence in the world. And His Judgement is the result. That’s why that word “repent” is always there.

Truth is agreed to, and Mercy is asked for.

Quote:
Further, how can a being who is outside the world speak in the world?

I would suggest that you read the Gospel according to John, fourth book in the New Testament.
It would explain most of your questions much better then I could, if you really want to know. Thanks again for your replies.

Ding an Sich

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2011 04:21 pm
@dpmartin,
dpmartin wrote:

Logic and reason has it’s place in our society among men, and is valuable to say the least. But is it the physical result of satisfaction? Logic and reason is used in the service of decision making to accomplish a will, an expectation, a desired result. However, logic and reason is not the result that satisfies, nor the will it serves. Some understand logic and reason, but all understand the satisfaction in eating, and breathing. We are all born into need and want, and know that it is our own will, to be satisfied therein. To eat and be satisfied is a knowledge experienced, which does not require contemplation to be true. Though the digestion thereof, is a part of the process, which allows one to eat again.

Who cares if only some people understand 'logic and reasoning'? What does this mean? That they are in the wrong? The rightness or wrongness of logic does not depend on the majorities or minorities.

dpmartin wrote:

It’s not rocket surgery, nor brain science. Wink Not all things that exist, require man’s logic and reasoning in order to exist.

That is true. But what does it have to with you trying to prove the existence of God which might I add you still have not done?

dpmartin wrote:

There is such a thing as mind over matter, but it is only over what it can take charge of. And there is much more in existence then the mind, or what is in the mind, that the mind can not take charge of. And if it is true that just because some one thinks something doesn’t make it true. Then the mind can’t prove nothing is true, it can only realize something is true. The mind can’t control, or prove what is, it can only come to the realization of what is.

Whoa. I am not 'thinking' that the Law of Identity is true, thereby making it true. I know it is true. There is a difference between thinking that something is true and knowing that something is true. The Law of Identity is true on the basis of self-evidence. To say that, for example "Ellis is not Ellis", requires a severely corrupted epistemology. It is disregarding what reality gives to us.

But clearly I
dpmartin wrote:

Since the result of God’s Will is Life everlasting in His Presence, why is that a problem for you? If the logic and reasoning you are using comes for those who do not know the Living God, then how could that logic and reasoning ever reveal the Living God to you? I can not offer you what is not mine to offer. Which would be the proof that there is the Living God, or that Jesus is the Christ or the Presence of God is truly knowable. Only God has that to offer, the Knowledge of His Presence in the world. And His Judgement is the result. That’s why that word “repent” is always there.

It does not matter where I get my sources on Logic. I could have been taught first-order predicate logic by either a Christian, Atheist, Muslim, Agnostic, etc, it would have been all the same.This is beside the point, because the logic I was taught applies to everyone. What I think you fail to understand is the term 'logic'. I am talking about the formal science. What are you talking about?

dpmartin wrote:

Truth is agreed to, and Mercy is asked for.

Is this really necessary? Do you think that this one little supposedly witty saying will get you out of proving to me the existence of God?

The ball is still in your court. You have yet to give anything that resembles a valid proof for the existence of God.
dpmartin

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 07:49 am
@Ding an Sich,
Ding an Sich wrote:

That is true. But what does it have to with you trying to prove the existence of God which might I add you still have not done?

Ding an Sich
thanks for the reply

That is true, I can’t prove the Presence of God with words, nor am I, nor anyone else is required to, that’s your requirement, not God’s. God proves the Presence of God with His Presence. I might try to persuade you to consider the possibility, that God is no farther then one’s own heart, but to find out whether that is true or not is on you. I am not in control of you. I can't make you do, what you refuse to do.

The only validity your ever going to find that God is, is to call upon the name of the Lord Jesus yourself. It ain’t true until you know, that you know, that you know. (As some try to explain it) It ain’t on me to prove that there is a God, as some believe should be. Man doesn’t prove God, God proves man.

It is a delusion to think that the mind can prove what made it. When what made it proves it to be, what it is made to be.
Ding an Sich

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 09:28 am
@dpmartin,
dpmartin wrote:

Ding an Sich wrote:

Ding an Sich
thanks for the reply

That is true, I can’t prove the Presence of God with words, nor am I, nor anyone else is required to, that’s your requirement, not God’s. God proves the Presence of God with His Presence. I might try to persuade you to consider the possibility, that God is no farther then one’s own heart, but to find out whether that is true or not is on you. I am not in control of you. I can't make you do, what you refuse to do.

The only validity your ever going to find that God is, is to call upon the name of the Lord Jesus yourself. It ain’t true until you know, that you know, that you know. (As some try to explain it) It ain’t on me to prove that there is a God, as some believe should be. Man doesn’t prove God, God proves man.

It is a delusion to think that the mind can prove what made it. When what made it proves it to be, what it is made to be.

I never said you were in control of me; such a notion is abusrd. What I want is a proof for the existence of God. You keep talking about Him and presupposing Him even though you have yet to prove His existence.

And furthermore, man does have to prove God to others; this where Apologetics, a defense of the faith, arises.

"It is a delusion to think that the mind can prove what made it." Presupposes in this context (for the nth time) a God. Stop begging the question, it is truly obnoxious.

God does not have to prove man. Assuming that God (the Judeo-Christian one) created the world, He would not need to prove to himself what He created. Assuming that God is all-knowing, the question of certainty would never be raised, nor doubt for that matter. God does not ask himself, "How do I prove man?" Conversely, man does have to prove God, either from a deductive or inductive method.

And even if God could show himself, could we ever really speak of it?

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 06:37 pm
@Ding an Sich,
I agree!! Thats what my topics 'proff of God' And 'Defenition of God' deal with. 'Clarity' .
0 Replies

dpmartin

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 09:08 am
@Ding an Sich,

Ding an Sich
thanks for the reply

Ding an Sich wrote:

I never said you were in control of me; such a notion is abusrd.

Thank you for that understanding. Therefore you are in control of whether you do what is necessary to know God or not.

Quote:
What I want is a proof for the existence of God.

I have told you, you must call upon the name of Jesus Christ, He is the only Way to know God. But if you quibble with me for the existence of God, you will get nowhere in your quest to have proof of the existence of God. (Don’t get me wrong I would love to prove the existence of God, but what I have found out, it is His Presence that proves He is, which is by His Choice not mine, therefore the request to Him, to know, must be there) What you must do is quibble with Him. The Lord God says that He sees the hearts of men, and there is nothing under the sun He hasn’t seen or heard. Your not going to shook Him with what you honestly want to know. You don’t know somebody unless you have communication with them.

Quote:
You keep talking about Him and presupposing Him even though you have yet to prove His existence.

That is true, if you know something is there, you presuppose it’s there. If you don’t know it’s there, then you have the problem of finding out, if it’s really there or not.

Quote:
And furthermore, man does have to prove God to others; this where Apologetics, a defense of the faith, arises.

What is now called apologetics is the works through out the years in reference to what Apostle Peter stated about always be ready to answer for one's faith. Which is to be in that readiness, that others might come to the Lord also. Apostle Paul speaks of this in his explanation of always trying to persuade, in the hope that others receive the Salvation, and Faith in Christ Jesus.

Quote:
God does not have to prove man. Assuming that God (the Judeo-Christian one) created the world, He would not need to prove to himself what He created.

In the case of the Judeo-Christian God, you are mistaken my friend, this not to get scripturally quotey, it is only to show that the Judeo-Christian One does prove His People.
Ex:16:4: Then said the LORD unto Moses, Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a certain rate every day, that I may prove them, whether they will walk in my law, or no.

Ex:20:20: And Moses said unto the people, Fear not: for God is come to prove you, and that his fear may be before your faces, that ye sin not.

Note that they called unto Him when they cry to Him do to their burdens.

IOW, just as you must see fulfillment thereof, He must see trust, faith therein. He made us to be like unto Him, and He trusts the fulfillment of His Word and is Satisfied therein.

Quote:
Assuming that God is all-knowing, the question of certainty would never be raised, nor doubt for that matter. God does not ask himself, "How do I prove man?" Conversely, man does have to prove God, either from a deductive or inductive method.

That’s true God doesn’t ask Himself how, He knows how. The fulfillment of His Will in mankind, is something that is fulfilled, and He already knows how. It is we who must learn how.

Quote:
And even if God could show himself, could we ever really speak of it?

Moses has,The Prophets have, Jesus Christ has.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 03:20 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Ding an Sich wrote:

Pemerson wrote:

Better: God is inthe heart of everyone.

When one of us is at the bottom of their life, you could say they have "lost their mind." But, no, it's that their mind has dropped into their heart. They then speak and live, from the heart. Have you never seen or listened to such a person?

So how does any of this prove that God "is in the heart of everyone"? Are you trying to make a connection between God and Mind? Are you trying to make some appeal to experience to show that God "is in the heart of everyone"? Really, what are you trying to say? :-/

What I'm not trying to do is reinvent the wheel. We can be educated to the limit, brainwashed by religion since a mere child, and not know for one single second what is known by people to be 'God.'
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 09:42 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Ding an sich,
It seems that to require proof of the existence of God is to lack faith in His existence. I do not have such a faith, but, then, I do not need to believe in God. Indeed, if there is some ultimate divinity I must actually experience it directly rather than believe IN it.
Ding an Sich

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 09:04 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Ding an sich,
It seems that to require proof of the existence of God is to lack faith in His existence. I do not have such a faith, but, then, I do not need to believe in God. Indeed, if there is some ultimate divinity I must actually experience it directly rather than believe IN it.

It may be the case that I lack faith; but this digression does not have much to do with whether or not someone can prove the existence of God.

"I have faith in His existence" implies what? It certainly does not imply that God exists. It is nothing more than belief. I believe S, but that does not mean that S is true. However, saying "I know S" is a different story.

Say I did experience 'God' and I tell you, "I feel God's presence." Could we point to God's presence? -No. and this is where certain problems arise.
0 Replies