Holiday20310401 wrote:
Time is the only actual of reality.

what are you on about ?
Holiday20310401

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 09:07 pm
@raven phil,
raven wrote:
what are you on about ?

I dunno I just read the thread comparing actuality and reality and came to that conclusion.
Holiday20310401

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 09:09 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Why don't people search for what is right instead of what is god b/c there is no knowing the entirety of god but what is right is what is god.
Holiday20310401

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 11:05 pm
@Holiday20310401,
It is not when humanity doesn't think that we will fail, it is when we don't act that will fall.
This quote could mean humanity's ultimate downfall, or just minor pieces of humanity.Smile

One should always have a tricky medium of transcendence and attention, it is not healthy to want only 1 of those.
Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 02:55 pm
@Holiday20310401,
If a person was to become completely selfless they would commit suicide.

(Yes I know that there is a selfish aspect to every action)
raven phil

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 03:32 pm
@Holiday20310401,
sorry but i think that last statement is bollocks
fyi i am bored on here none of you have anything meaningful to say its just waffle and more waffle so guys i am outta here sorry either impress me or do one ooops sorry to hurt the old ego .
you lot need whipping in to shape sky hooks me thinks you lot are talking sky hooks
bye better to burn out than to fade away baby.Smile
boagie

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 03:48 pm
@raven phil,
Raven,Sad

I am sorry you feel the way you do, however there is no need to put others down, the door you'll notice swings both ways. I wish you would stay, but not at the price of being abused, so, good luck!Wink
0 Replies

Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 03:47 pm
@raven phil,
raven wrote:
sorry but i think that last statement is bollocks
fyi i am bored on here none of you have anything meaningful to say its just waffle and more waffle so guys i am outta here sorry either impress me or do one ooops sorry to hurt the old ego .
you lot need whipping in to shape sky hooks me thinks you lot are talking sky hooks
bye better to burn out than to fade away baby.Smile

Woah, take it easy. At least I'm not trying to make an ostentatious display through poetic contexts even though I enjoy reading your posts.
Peace:cool:
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 04:38 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Quote:
If a person was to become completely selfless they would commit suicide.

On the contrary; suicide is the single most selfish act a man can commit.

Selflessness is helping others, and if I am dead, I cannot. Suicide is selfish in that killing one's self is to decide that death is preferable to any life, including a life of helping others.

People kill themselves for their own interests - they do not want to face some hardship.
No0ne

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 06:13 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
On the contrary; suicide is the single most selfish act a man can commit.

Selflessness is helping others, and if I am dead, I cannot. Suicide is selfish in that killing one's self is to decide that death is preferable to any life, including a life of helping others.

People kill themselves for their own interests - they do not want to face some hardship.

It's the reason why, that make's it an selfish act

The reason why any person dose such an act is made from there desire of how they wish not to live.

Therefore the act is done for the better of them self, and not the better of another.

Unless one of those odd thing's happen

Example--> a crazy man put's a bomb around another man's neck, and say's you must kill your self, if you dont the bomb will go off killing you and everyone around you.

So he would be doing an act not for his self, but for the sake of another.

There are alot of those crazy kind of thing's

Another kind, is where you know that your going to die 100% chance of such if you go to a location, therefore would that be a act of killing your self?

But you would have a choice to go or not go, but say if you did not go hostages would die, so you make a selfless act to give your life for there's, yet at the same time your openly killing your self just to save another, therefore an open act selflessness with pure intent.

(That last one can also be seen and displayed in the action's of the man called jesus at year 0)

Walked into a 100% chance of being killed while knowing that 100% chance, would that be killing your self as well? but for a selfless reason?

I hope this add's some new flare to this thread :rolleyes:
Holiday20310401

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 09:51 pm
@No0ne,
Yes but if you were completely selfless would you be able to be completely selfless? .... Sorry that sounds like a person selfish to be selfless. Thus since it is impossible to be selfless completely that person would act selfishly to stop acting selfish, by committing suicide. So committing suicide is a selfish action and is therefore not selfless?:confused:
SO my quote "If a person was to become completely selfless they would commit suicide." is silly because being completely selfles means not acting at all.

Wow I just contradicted myself lol.Surprised

Question: to all of a sudden decide to become completely selfless would mean to want to stop acting and thus living or having potential at all right? So for somebody to be selfless would have the logical outcome of suicide?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 06:02 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Quote:
Yes but if you were completely selfless would you be able to be completely selfless? .... Sorry that sounds like a person selfish to be selfless.

How? I understand that if I desire the respect of others for being selfless that I am selfish in said desire. But acting in a selfless manner does not necessarily demand that the agent only acts for the recognition of being selfless.

Then again, I'm not really sure I understand you. So, if I missed the point, I'm sorry - and please elaborate! Smile

Quote:
SO my quote "If a person was to become completely selfless they would commit suicide." is silly because being completely selfles means not acting at all.

I don't see how being selfless demands that we never act. Often times, non-action is probably wise, but if I see a small child drowning and I do nothing, when I could easily jump in the water and save the poor kid, my inaction is far from selfless.

Quote:
Question: to all of a sudden decide to become completely selfless would mean to want to stop acting and thus living or having potential at all right? So for somebody to be selfless would have the logical outcome of suicide?

Again, I do not see the logic of absolute non-action if we are trying to be selfless.
And suicide is certainly an action, anyway.

NoOne - Hey, thanks for the reply! You make excellent points with the counter examples.

Barring counter examples in which suicide is the only alternative to harming others, I cannot imagine cases of selfless suicide. Barring such cases, suicide seems entirely selfless.
Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 06:13 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos,
Yeah you understood correctly.

Every action is selfish right, at least from what I understand, but an action also has a selfless aspect right? Perhaps its all about what the action is intending, to be selfless or selfish, and the more wisdom you have the more accurately your intentions hold true to the outcome, in terms of how selfless and selfish it actually is.:confused:
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 06:24 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Quote:
Every action is selfish right, at least from what I understand

See, here we disagree.

Quote:
Perhaps its all about what the action is intending, to be selfless or selfish, and the more wisdom you have the more accurately your intentions hold true to the outcome, in terms of how selfless and selfish it actually is.

Being a good person does take practice. And we could all probably use a great deal more practice.

Selfish/selfless refer to intentions. Having absolutely selfless intentions is difficult; again, takes practice - and I'm no where close, to be sure.
Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 06:28 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
What's your view, cause I believe every action is actually both selfish and selfless, just more or less of each for each different action.

A person can intend on being selfish and selfless at the same time.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 06:41 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Generally, you are right - our actions often contain both selfish and selfless intentions. 'I'll donate to a food drive, get rid of all these cans of food I'll never eat that just take up pantry space.'

But I see no reason to say that all actions are necessarily selfish. Mostly because such a claim is non falsifiable - it cannot be proven. Such a claim assumes that the claimant can discern every intention of every individual to have ever lived. Sounds silly to me.
Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 06:43 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Well isn't it nesseccary that an actrion would actually contain even minimal selfishness. Of course I believe that it is not necesary to intend to be selfish, and intentions are more important.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 06:44 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Quote:
Well isn't it nesseccary that an actrion would actually contain even minimal selfishness.

Not that I can tell.
Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 06:48 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Nice, 1000 posts!
Here give me an action for me to try to determine the selfishness to it, make it a situation if you must.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 07:00 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Thanks Smile

Quote:
Here give me an action for me to try to determine the selfishness to it, make it a situation if you must.

No point. No matter the example, we can find possibilities for selfish motivation. The problem is actually showing the motivation to be selfish. Unless you can read minds, there is no way to show all actions are necessarily selfish.

If I save a child from drowning, you might suggest that my motivation was selfish - I didn't want to be remembered as the guy who chose not to save the child, so I saved the child. But this sort of speculation is terribly misleading. If I'm jumping in a body of water to save a drowning child, I'm probably not doing so to benefit myself I'm probably doing so to save the kid.
0 Replies