Do you believe in God?

Riverdale

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 09:47 am
@Pythagorean,
I absolutely do believe in a higher being, but I'm not sure what it is. I don't think we're "supposed" to find that out while in this dimension, in this life.

My beliefs, although raised Catholic, come from reading "life after death" experiences. These books/forums are my personal "bible" and I gather my own knowledge and beliefs from other people's experiences on the other side.

What I find fascinating is that people from varying religions will have slightly varying experiences. The gods they believed in in this life are who they encounter while across the border. The main message received from these "higher beings" is absolutely the same in all cases, though. And that is: be as good a person to others as you can.

And OH, it sounds wonderful over there!
It seems to me that we make our own heaven or hell, in the end.

I'd recommend reading these books to ANYONE. They'll change your life, if you have an open mind and heart.

P.S. Are we allowed to give links here?
0 Replies

Henrik phil

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 12:17 pm
@Pythagorean,
I'm an agnostic.
Henrik wrote:
I agree with you! Religion is often a block for the free thought.
How can i say something like this when i consider myself a christian? Well, if you believe in pure science, you'll say that everything just came out of nothing. Thats just as stupid as believing in a god. The only difference between these two is that the last one is a bit more optimistic.

As you could read in my previous post on this thread, I wrote that i considered myself a christian.

I was born into a conservative Lutheran family, and my father is a minister. I have always seen the bright side of Christianity, and most of my friends are Christians.

Still, I have for the last two years more and more realized that this belief doesn't seem rational. When i base my views on things that seems rational, I realized it this weekend that I cannot be christian any more.

Some of the reasons: (I'll come up with better ones when I'm not so tired)

• I am a determinist, and according to that, our actions are pre defined by a tremendous amount of variables. Then it would be wrong to separate believers from the unbelievers and say that just the believers will gain a life after death. Genetics and environment have made non believers, god have no right to punish them.

• If God is supposed to be allmighty, he hadn't needed to make this world so vicious. If he has, he must be a cruel God, and christianity doesn't teach that.

• Christianity tells you to believe like a child - children also believe in santa claus and mr. sandman.

• The bible is one of the most messy and incoherent books I know.

• None of my senses have ever perceived anything supernatural.

Some of these arguments might be considered poor, but it's a bit late, and I'm a bit tired.
zefloid13

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 01:37 pm
@Pythagorean,
Has anyone realized that discussion on these topics is futile? Part of John Locke's motivation to write An Essay Concerning Human Understanding was a discussion he had with friends on matters of morality and revealed religion, during which he found that contradiction was inevitable. Thus he set forward "to examine our own abilities," to find the boundaries of human sense and knowledge.

Sure, these matters may be fun to chat about around a fire at two in the morning, but how often does one run into a sensible debate on the subject [for any length of time]?
manored

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 02:50 pm
@zefloid13,
zefloid13 wrote:
Has anyone realized that discussion on these topics is futile? Part of John Locke's motivation to write An Essay Concerning Human Understanding was a discussion he had with friends on matters of morality and revealed religion, during which he found that contradiction was inevitable. Thus he set forward "to examine our own abilities," to find the boundaries of human sense and knowledge.

Sure, these matters may be fun to chat about around a fire at two in the morning, but how often does one run into a sensible debate on the subject [for any length of time]?
I am aware of that, and I hope most other people around here are as well Smile But its still funny to see how other people see the world. Also, its true that we cannot reach an absolute consensus but we can aproach from one, what means less conflicts I believe.

Those reasons are actually quite good Henrik, and actually they are mostly the same reasons I stoped being a christian as well Smile Except the one about god not needing to make the world evil as the christians have explanations for that, altough none of then makes sense Smile
0 Replies

OctoberMist

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 08:00 pm
@skeptic griggsy,
skeptic griggs said:

Quote:

As theists face the burden of evidence in claiming the existence of God, and they cannot and probably will not do so, the auto-epistemic rule comes to the fore , so here indeed absence of evidence is indeed evidence of absence and no argument from ignorance; whereas to posit God without evidence is using the argument from ignorance.

Sorry to rain on your genralistic parade, but theists do NOT have to prove God exists in order to believe in a God.

That is your criteria.

Please do not impose your personal values on the rest of the world.

Quote:

Faith is a cop-out as it is just the we just say so of credulity. It begs the question of Him as there is no evidence therefor.

Most dictionaries define "faith" as:

belief that is not based on proof

If you can accept this definition, please tell me how 'belief that is not based on proof' is inherently invalid because it is not based on proof.

In your argument here, you seem to be trying to force theists into your own personal definitions of reality, and holding theists to your own personal definitions.

I am curious at to who made the determination that theists, who are faith based, must inherently be subjected to the laws of 'proof'...?

Care to elaborate?
0 Replies

BaCaRdi

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 10:08 pm
@Pythagorean,
Your confusing Faith of Human form..With Fate of GOD..

-BaC
0 Replies

OctoberMist

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 09:21 am
@zefloid13,
zefloid said:

Quote:

Has anyone realized that discussion on these topics is futile?
Of course they are! :bigsmile:

Quote:

Sometimes it happens. Rarely, I'll grant you, but it is possible.

BaCaRdi said:

Quote:

Your confusing Faith of Human form..With Fate of GOD..

Huh? -- Please elaborate.
0 Replies

manored

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 09:27 am
@Pythagorean,
Faith is faith, what you believe into makes no difference Smile This remembers me one of the genial ideas from Douglas Adams: The eletric monk, a robot built to believe things for you Smile
0 Replies

NeitherExtreme

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 11:50 am
@Henrik phil,
Henrik wrote:
I'm an agnostic.
- Christianity tells you to believe like a child - children also belive in santa claus and mr. sandman.

Hi all. Just to clear up something... the Bible never says that. Though if you'd ask a lot of Christians, they'd be sure it does...

It says that people should "accept the kingdom of god like a child", which could just as easily be talking about accepting it with eagerness, or humility or any other child like quality, not necessarily naivity, which isn't a biblical virtue as far as I know. And... the verb is "recive" or "accept", not "believe". And... the object of this accpetance is the "Kingdom of God", which in Jesus' usage is not a set of dogmatic statements; rather it's such an abstract force/idea that Jesus only describes it extensively in allagorical stories. So by the time your done really looking at it, I think it looks quite a bit different than the "believe me and don't question", or even the "just believe and everything will be fine", version that some people make it out to be.

Sorry for the interuption... that one just bugs me sometimes, if you couldn't tell. :bigsmile:
manored

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 03:42 pm
@NeitherExtreme,
The thing is: Then you read the bible and look back and christianism, and the you look from the bible to the blible itself, you find so many contradictions and things not making sense that its hard to believe anyone could be a christian while putting a lot of free-of-barriers thought on the matter.
Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 04:01 pm
@manored,
The bible cannot prove God's existence, unless the person is insane or deluded. One has to simply have faith too. The bible is human words trying to speak words that a divine would say. How can a divine omnipotent being have the context definable in words?!

It's simple logic, the bible is human wisdom. If God interfered with human affairs, and was omnipotent, what then would define the action God would evoke upon us? The only possible thing I can think of is a random generator, which when you compare the old and new testament together, does seem quite random to me. But that's just silly.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 05:36 pm
@Holiday20310401,
manored wrote:
The thing is: Then you read the bible and look back and christianism, and the you look from the bible to the blible itself, you find so many contradictions and things not making sense that its hard to believe anyone could be a christian while putting a lot of free-of-barriers thought on the matter.

Have you ever read a difficult piece of literature, one that you did not fully understand? Just because you or I cannot make sense of a passage does not mean the passage does not make sense.

As for contradictions, what's the problem?
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 09:39 pm
@Pythagorean,
Honestly, Biblical interpretation and meaning argues more strongly for relativism than perhaps anything else in the cultural history of humanity.

To some people, the Bible is literal history. To others it is wisdom in the form of allegory. To some it is a historical book of academic interest. To some it is the root of all the world's problems, to others it is the source of the world's salvation. To some it is proof of God's existence, to others it is clearly not.

So what if the Bible has contradictions? So what if the belief traditions born of the Bible aren't fully supported in its text? So what if the Bible we have today is a human amalgamation that specifically excluded many contemporary traditions that were judged heretical?

It just doesn't matter. It's got profound meaning to many people in many different ways. It's a perfectly legitimate means by which an individual or a group can justify their own beliefs, however heterogeneous those beliefs are. It's simply not a valid grounds for a non-believer to critique believers.

Sheesh. And I'm not even Christian.
Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 10:51 pm
@Aedes,
The only problem I have is with a closed minded belief system in which one only adheres to the bible for divine truth and tries to spread that around. But if one only keeps that belief system to him/her self then I only pity the person. Is not an open mind the definitive of a smart person?
Aedes

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 07:50 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;34001 wrote:
The only problem I have is with a closed minded belief system in which one only adheres to the bible for divine truth and tries to spread that around.
Why would you have a problem with that? Clearly if their belief system is limited and closed-minded, they're not going to be all that successful in their efforts to proselytize. They're not a threat, they're just part of the human palette.

Quote:
Is not an open mind the definitive of a smart person?
Know any smart people who are closed minded? I can think of a couple in my world Wink
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 11:39 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Why would you have a problem with that? Clearly if their belief system is limited and closed-minded, they're not going to be all that successful in their efforts to proselytize. They're not a threat, they're just part of the human palette.

The success of fundamentalism is tough to explain with this sort of argument.
Albion phil

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 07:08 pm
@pokemasterat,
I do not accept the description for a supreme being, as has been postulated by religion. An anthropomorphic being, most often predisposed to the same character flaws as mere mortals, does not a supreme being make. Nor do I accept that what is responsible for all that exists is preoccupied by humans ritual so as to appease it's ego. All gods,in my observation of the subject, are created in the image of humanity.

To answer the question in the OP then, my answer is no. I do not believe in god.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 07:18 pm
@Albion phil,
Albion wrote:
I do not accept the description for a supreme being, as has been postulated by religion.

That's a great many different ideas.
[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
Albion wrote:
An anthropomorphic being, most often predisposed to the same character flaws as mere mortals, does not a supreme being make.

Why not?
[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
Albion wrote:
Nor do I accept that what is responsible for all that exists is preoccupied by humans ritual so as to appease it's ego. All gods,in my observation of the subject, are created in the image of humanity.

Sure, all conceptions of God must be invented by man. We came up with the word "God". There is not a single concept that was not invented by man, well, not if we are talking about said concept, anyway.

I'm not so sure that all conceptions of God and all ritual exist to appease man's ego. Some exist for just the opposite reason - to erode man's ego. Of course, this brings up the question - if not ego, then why do these conceptions of God and these rituals exist? I would suggest that experience is the reason why notions of God and religious rituals exist. Man experiences the divine, attempts to express this experience to other humans in a meaningful way, and develops rituals to increase awareness of the divine.
[/COLOR]
Albion phil

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 07:53 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
That's a great many different ideas.
Indeed it is. And yet all conceptions of god, even Chimera, are possessed of human characteristics. For a higher power, a supreme being, I find that odd. Humans, while said to be the highest life form on the planet, behave as somewhat less than conscious of their responsibility to the planet. So how would a higher power, a supreme being possessed of god like qualities afforded as omniscience, omnipresence, omnipotence, also be defective in human personality?! Jealousy, selfishness, egoism, rage, etc...

Quote:
Why not?
To fit the description of a supreme being, or higher power (than human) it would be necessary to be better than human. Superior to human.

Quote:
Sure, all conceptions of God must be invented by man. We came up with the word "God". There is not a single concept that was not invented by man, well, not if we are talking about said concept, anyway.

I'm not so sure that all conceptions of God and all ritual exist to appease man's ego. Some exist for just the opposite reason - to erode man's ego. Of course, this brings up the question - if not ego, then why do these conceptions of God and these rituals exist? I would suggest that experience is the reason why notions of God and religious rituals exist. Man experiences the divine, attempts to express this experience to other humans in a meaningful way, and develops rituals to increase awareness of the divine.

And yet isn't that all still egoistic?! Even conceiving of a higher power responsible for all that is, as something our consciousness can in any way conceive?

Self serving to the ritualist, that believes ritual increases awareness of something that would be, in its entirety , beyond the scope of mortal consciousness?
To erode man's ego, as many philosophies espouse is necessary in order to gain a higher consciousness is still, in many cases, just as misguided in the intent as is altruism.
For instance, the Dalai Lama and Buddhism seek to quell the ego. And yet, his Holiness is clad in silk robes sewn with gold thread. He occupies a palace, lives as a rich man, is a friend and guest of the rich and famous. And his office once ruled a people and afforded horrific torture and punishments to those found guilty of breaking the laws of the lands they governed.
That he is the Buddha incarnate is egoism in itself. And yet, the faith is that all life is suffering and illusion.
So is the illusion then that all life is suffering, when one lives as the leader of one of the world's great religions as a rich and/or entitled servant to the teachings of the Buddha? Or is all life suffering for the many who follow the teachings and do suffer as peasant class, starving, living in hovels and enduring the oppression of tyrannical governments?

Is it easier for the sufferer to accept a faith that says it's to be expected because all life is so? And what does it say that any philosophy to achieve higher knowledge, as the Buddha was not god, when the clergy of said faith live better than the faithful?! If ego is something to be overcome?

If humans seek to know god, through contemplation, ritual, and other avenues, would their perceptions not be filtered through the human psyche or consciousness, that first believes it is possible to seek out such a being or energy?! Thus, believing a god exists to be found, isn't that predisposing the seeker to translate what is experienced in the searching, to meet the definition of that what they are searching for?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:16 pm
@Albion phil,
Albion wrote:
Indeed it is. And yet all conceptions of god, even Chimera, are possessed of human characteristics. For a higher power, a supreme being, I find that odd. Humans, while said to be the highest life form on the planet, behave as somewhat less than conscious of their responsibility to the planet. So how would a higher power, a supreme being possessed of god like qualities afforded as omniscience, omnipresence, omnipotence, also be defective in human personality?! Jealousy, selfishness, egoism, rage, etc...

First, we should not confuse God with descriptions of God. Some descriptions of God make note of the fact that the description is human language and is therefore figurative - that is, that the language cannot perfectly express God.

Also, we should be careful not to mix up conceptions of God. The particularly human-like notions of God, deities like the Greek pantheon who deal with human emotions like pride and rage, are generally not omniscient/omnipresent/omnipotent.

Albion wrote:
To fit the description of a supreme being, or higher power (than human) it would be necessary to be better than human. Superior to human.

A deity can have greater power than humans and still have human like characteristics. Going back to the Greek pantheon, these deities had human qualities, but they also possessed powers that humans do not possess. So, in that way they were superior to humans despite their similarities to humans.

Albion wrote:
And yet isn't that all still egoistic?! Even conceiving of a higher power responsible for all that is, as something our consciousness can in any way conceive?

No, I do not think so. Well, unless we assume that all actions are selfish, that is.

Albion wrote:
Self serving to the ritualist, that believes ritual increases awareness of something that would be, in its entirety , beyond the scope of mortal consciousness?

No, not beyond man's consciousness. That's the point - God isn't beyond human consciousness, not beyond human experience. Because God can be experienced, ritual is useful.

Albion wrote:
To erode man's ego, as many philosophies espouse is necessary in order to gain a higher consciousness is still, in many cases, just as misguided in the intent as is altruism.

Heh, well I'd disagree with your comment about altruism. But I see what you are saying - many people talk about shedding the ego but are really only trying to get some money or fame. But we cannot make the generalization that all spiritual practice is misguided just because some of it is.

Albion wrote:
For instance, the Dalai Lama and Buddhism seek to quell the ego. And yet, his Holiness is clad in silk robes sewn with gold thread. He occupies a palace, lives as a rich man, is a friend and guest of the rich and famous. And his office once ruled a people and afforded horrific torture and punishments to those found guilty of breaking the laws of the lands they governed.

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to suggest about the Dalai Lama. If you are familiar with His Holiness, you should be familiar with his work on human rights, charity and his work as a teacher.

His robes are part of Buddhist ceremony.

As for his palace - you mean the Potala Palace? Well, he doesn't live there any longer because the Chinese kicked him out. In any case, the palace is not a Versailles - the Lama's living quarters make up a tiny portion of the two bpalaces. The vast majority of the palace was for the study and practice of Buddhism; contains chapels, libraries, temples, and housed the secular aspects of the government.

I'm not sure why you bring up things the Dalai Lama is not responsible for.

Albion wrote:
That he is the Buddha incarnate is egoism in itself. And yet, the faith is that all life is suffering and illusion.

The Dalai Lama is not, nor does he or the tradition claim the Lama to be, a reincarnation of the Buddha. The Dalai Lama is the reincarnation of his predecessors - the Buddha was Indian, not Tibetan.

Albion wrote:
So is the illusion then that all life is suffering, when one lives as the leader of one of the world's great religions as a rich and/or entitled servant to the teachings of the Buddha? Or is all life suffering for the many who follow the teachings and do suffer as peasant class, starving, living in hovels and enduring the oppression of tyrannical governments?

To live is to suffer.

Albion wrote:
Is it easier for the sufferer to accept a faith that says it's to be expected because all life is so? And what does it say that any philosophy to achieve higher knowledge, as the Buddha was not god, when the clergy of said faith live better than the faithful?! If ego is something to be overcome?

Not all of the Buddhist clergy live better than the lay population. There are many, many Buddhists lay people who live better than much of the clergy. The Dalai Lama just happens to be one of, if not the, most highly respected Buddhist monk hence the sharp digs. He's a popular guy.

Albion wrote:
If humans seek to know god, through contemplation, ritual, and other avenues, would their perceptions not be filtered through the human psyche or consciousness, that first believes it is possible to seek out such a being or energy?! Thus, believing a god exists to be found, isn't that predisposing the seeker to translate what is experienced in the searching, to meet the definition of that what they are searching for?

Sure, expectations influence the way we see reality. This happens to all of us. Take someone who already thinks that all actions are selfish - this expectation will make it difficult for the person to see that some actions can be selfless. Very Happy

Something important to remember - a definition of God is not God. Definitions are words, and God is beyond language. Language can only point the way. When faced with God, or whatever you want to call it, the definition will be irrelevant. This hints at a good tell - people who cling absolutely to one particular definition, fundamentalists, are probably guilty of spiritual materialism - that is, seeing only what we want to see.