The Gas Station

Justin

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 04:03 pm
Yesterday evening I had to stop at the gas station store and was waiting in line. I observed the lady ahead of me waiting for her turn and she gave the cashier $2.00 in change and said, "Pump #9". It was a combination of nickles and pennies and dimes as I watched the cashier count it out while she waited for him. Once it was verified that indeed there were two full dollars, she exited the store to start pumping gas...

Quickly I told the cashier to add $5.00 to her purchase so she'd have $7.00 in gas and handed him my last $20.00 bill. One of the attendants that was working with him showed him how to void the $2.00 transaction out before she started pumping and then she ran out to notify the lady that she was to pump $7.00 instead of $2.00.

I then checked out for my own purchase and left the store without being noticed and drove off.

The reason I'm posting this is because of the feeling I felt when I was able to help this woman. Before I left the store, the old lady that was waiting behind me gave me a high-five and the cashiers were smiling and eager to help. As I was driving down the road after leaving the station, I had this wonderful feeling of peace and joy I would have never had, had I not been willing to give a little something.

Isn't this how we are supposed to treat others? I've given to the beggars on the street but nothing felt quite like it did last night. A small gesture of $5.00 probably made someones day. I felt it was something I just had to do, and the rewarding feeling afterwards was absolutely wonderful. Whoever this lady was, she needed that little extra at that exact moment and I felt called to give what I had.

Isn't it in giving, that you shall receive? Aren't we supposed to give before we receive?

The above isn't something I do very often, and may never be faced with the same situation again... but the feeling of joy and peace it brought to me was priceless.

This was a heart-felt experience for me and wanted to share it on the forum and I also feel it has a lot to do with human relations.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,288 • Replies: 24
No top replies

SJC

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 11:14 am
@Justin,
What a wonderful deed you did!!! Smile
perplexity

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 03:16 am
@SJC,
"Gas" on my side of the Atlantic alludes more to hot air, as opposed to the addictive inflammable liquid. "What a gas!" they used to say, in my day.

Unfortunately, short of an evident "so what?", the trouble with emotional philosophy is the want of a "so" or a "what?" to follow, nothing to make of it except to forbear, forgo, fawn or fondle.

Or was there a more particular point or purpose to begin the thread?

I fear that until today the topic had rather not been replied to because of a cloying sense of incompleteness, the seeing of but one of too many episodes of an interminable drama.

The story reminds me of a warm summer day, when I was arrested while wandering around the Kings Road, Chelsea, and charged with "suspicion", which in the mean old days of the 1970s was enough of a reason for an idiot policeman to arrest an unaccounted for wanderer, the mere expectation in the mind of the officer that a crime was to be committed.

Anyway, according to the alleged mind of the said officer a large part of what constituted the evidence of ill intent was my carrying of a large quantity of small coins, small in the sense of value, for in those days our coins were heavy, a cause of many a hole in the pit of a trouser pocket, not to mention the strangeness of having too much of the stuff, but not enough, as may otherwise be said.

Once again then it is all about perception, so to therefore supply a philosophical theme to suit, is it enough to convince ourselves of our own good intent, regardless of the broader context, or the longer term?

I had rather come to a different conclusion: Narrow mindedness is the eventual cause of much that is painful.

It was for me, anyway.

-- RH.
Justin

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 12:26 pm
@perplexity,
perplexity wrote:
"Gas" on my side of the Atlantic alludes more to hot air, as opposed to the addictive inflammable liquid. "What a gas!" they used to say, in my day.

Unfortunately, short of an evident "so what?", the trouble with emotional philosophy is the want of a "so" or a "what?" to follow, nothing to make of it except to forbear, forgo, fawn or fondle.

Or was there a more particular point or purpose to begin the thread?

I fear that until today the topic had rather not been replied to because of a cloying sense of incompleteness, the seeing of but one of too many episodes of an interminable drama....

I'm not aware of this emotional philosophy described above. It's more referring to helping someone in need and I'm finding that in giving of oneself, a person can find themselves. Maybe it touches someone in a special way and possibly "pays it forward" the next time they come across someone in need.

We're all in the same boat. All of us are a part of this one universe and we can either kill each other or work together to make the world a better place. If we all treated each other with dignity and respect, we wouldn't be fighting with each other. We are in a boat that's sinking as every day passes. If we all don't start bailing water, it's going to sink and the only reason it will sink is because we are not working together.

So, when we start giving more of ourselves to each other, then we will start to see the rewards in giving. Mankind's self destruction will not slow down until we realize that there is no separation other than that which mankind makes.
perplexity

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 01:53 pm
@Justin,
Justin wrote:
I'm not aware of this emotional philosophy described above. It's more referring to helping someone in need and I'm finding that in giving of oneself, a person can find themselves. Maybe it touches someone in a special way and possibly "pays it forward" the next time they come across someone in need.

One symptom of an emotional philosphy would be to presume to know the need of another person better than they know it themselves, which happens all too often online, where in order to make any sense of it so much of what transpires does so only by virtue of that which our imaginations immediately contribute to fill the tank, so to speak.

If you happen to meet with somebody at gas station who is not in need, do you kneel and pray to him?

Seriously, I'd like to know how it works, this finding of the self, and why the self is so much in need of the search.

In my expereince the special way to be touched has rather been to the effect that there is nothing more offensive to a person's dignity than unsolicited help from a self obsessed other person.

I am rather inclined nowadays to decline to help in any case because of the pain of the bite of the hand that fed; to Hell with them.

The people who helped me most in life were those kind enough to appreciate what I had to give to them, not vise versa.

--- RH.
Justin

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 03:36 pm
@perplexity,
perplexity wrote:
If you happen to meet with somebody at gas station who is not in need, do you kneel and pray to him?
Pray to him? .. No, I don't pray to anyone. What does this have to do with an act of kindness?

Quote:
Seriously, I'd like to know how it works, this finding of the self, and why the self is so much in need of the search.
Mankind has been searching for answers all along. Scientists and Philosophers alike have searched for answers on every end of the globe, only to come up without an answer. Are you not searching?

Quote:
In my expereince the special way to be touched has rather been to the effect that there is nothing more offensive to a person's dignity than unsolicited help from a self obsessed other person.
So you've taken an act of kindness and turned it around to an unsolicited self obsession.... am I correct? I beg to differ. At some point everyone is in need of something and we as a people rely on the services and products that another person provides. That's how the economical system works. If you see self obsession, you're simply taking a positive action and focusing on the negative. We make the choice as to what we see and that's our choice.

Quote:
I am rather inclined nowadays to decline to help in any case because of the pain of the bite of the hand that fed; to Hell with them.
I've also declined help in the past, the Me against the world mentality. It just doesn't work. Lets all work together and lift our brothers and sisters when in need. Just so happens that every single individual is also part of a whole.

Quote:
The people who helped me most in life were those kind enough to appreciate what I had to give to them, not vise versa.
When you give, what if they didn't want to accept. Isn't that what you've said above? Should be a two way street.
perplexity

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 05:02 pm
@Justin,
Justin wrote:

Mankind has been searching for answers all along. Scientists and Philosophers alike have searched for answers on every end of the globe, only to come up without an answer. Are you not searching?

I search for things when I lose them, for the want of remembering where I left it. That happens all the time. Searching for something if I don't know what it looks like, that to me is jealousy, the fear of not possessing what somebody else might possess, or the desire to peosess before they do.

Justin wrote:

So you've taken an act of kindness and turned it around to an unsolicited self obsession.... am I correct? I beg to differ.

Somebody not so self obsessed might have been polite enough to have noticed that I had deliberately referred to my experience, the separation which mankind makes, so to speak, and somewhat more, if one may be permitted to humbly submit, than a single act.

So no matter what I have to say about it, you are going to continue to see it your way anyway, right?

-- RH.
0 Replies

pilgrimshost

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 12:05 pm
@Justin,
I question the purpose of the human race altogether. Every generation arrogently assumes they are better, superior and more advanced than the generation before. This is clearly rubbish and so is that we also assume technilogical advancments are a natural part and contributer to the evolution of the human race. I believe it is a hinderance dispite its 'modern convieniances' etc.

It is a fact that if a single creature becomes exstinct it criticlly effects its environment for the worse, in some cases the environment collapses. If the same happened to the human race, not only would it not damage the enviroment, but it would be better off.

Human beings are the most dangerous animals on the planet (possibly the universe).The biggest threat to the human race is.... the human race. We are arrogent enough to naturally assume we are not animals, I see nothing to prove otherwise. 'Civilization' is an advanced stage or system of social development (social evolution).'civilize' is when a people comes out of a barbarous or primitive stage of society (enlighten;refine and educate). This doesnt mean to not kill and destroy others or not seek power over whom ever you will it. And should the definition be changed if it is not fitting to our society? In other words the human race are on a whole- scum, and the few who have 'good' intentions are more or less rebels with a lost cause-sorry.
0 Replies

perplexity

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 01:48 pm
@Justin,
I have always felt ashamed on behalf of the race, and that there is never much thanks to be found from that.

'A wise man sees as much as he ought, not as much as he can.'

(Montaigne)
0 Replies

chad3006

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 10:51 pm
@Justin,
For a moment (at least) there was happiness--whether or not the little old lady really needed or appreciated it. It was a bargain at only $5.00.
Justin

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:05 pm
@chad3006,
chad3006 wrote:
For a moment (at least) there was happiness--whether or not the little old lady really needed or appreciated it. It was a bargain at only $5.00.
You are correct indeed. For the $5.00 it cost, it brought me a feeling worth far more than that. Maybe that's why it's said that in giving and regiving of yourself, you find yourself... finding one's self is worth far more than money.
0 Replies

pokemasterat

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 09:22 am
@Justin,
You know, she could have been a lady on the run, for all you know. Maybe she stole the car and didn't bring her own money, so therefore she took the money out of the change compartment. Sure, she was happy, but what if she went on to kill somebody in the adjacent state? You never know... It's good to think about all the possible consequences ;3
0 Replies

Justin

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 09:57 am
@Justin,
While I understand your recommendation of thinking about the consequences, the only thing that I am in control of are my actions and my thoughts. What she does after the fact simply isn't a part of my world because it's not something I can control.

Seriously, if I sat around thinking of all of the what-ifs for every thought or action, I'm afraid that this would just be a wasting of life. I don't think it's wise at all to consume energy thinking about the negatives of any situation.

What a person thinks most often, he or she will attract. If for every good deed a person did, they had to stop and consider all of the negative consequences, there would be no good deeds at all.
boagie

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 11:25 am
@chad3006,
Hello!

Read Mark Twain's,"What Is Man." it will put this type of thing in perspective.:eek:
0 Replies

pokemasterat

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 01:06 pm
@Justin,
Justin wrote:
While I understand your recommendation of thinking about the consequences, the only thing that I am in control of are my actions and my thoughts. What she does after the fact simply isn't a part of my world because it's not something I can control.

Seriously, if I sat around thinking of all of the what-ifs for every thought or action, I'm afraid that this would just be a wasting of life. I don't think it's wise at all to consume energy thinking about the negatives of any situation.

What a person thinks most often, he or she will attract. If for every good deed a person did, they had to stop and consider all of the negative consequences, there would be no good deeds at all.
Now, that's extreme. If you didn't know her, you had no clue what the effects of what you were doing were. I'm saying that this situation didn't really call for a necessary action. If you knew her and could make a character judgement of what she would've done with the money, go ahead. There would be good deeds, but they would be predictable...:rolleyes:
Justin

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 03:30 pm
@pokemasterat,
Boagie, thanks for the recommendation on the book. I just went onto Ebay and purchased the book, 1917 edition in excellent condition for $10.00. Can't wait to read it!

Extreme, I don't believe so. That's thought put into action, and for every action there is a reaction. Positive actions breed positive reactions and it all starts with your thoughts.

When I felt inclined to do something to assist a fellow human that looked to be in need at that moment, I just did it. Very small in terms of financial commitment... $5.00...Smile I couldn't imagine standing there thinking to myself that this woman may just be a murderer in some adjacent state. I'd have to sit down and have an interview with her because I can't possibly weigh all the possibilities of future actions and their outcomes... in which I have no control of anyway.

Either way, when I pulled away, something about it just felt good. Was it? Truthfully, I don't know. I'll probably never see the woman again in my life so I won't ever know if she is a murderer. Either way, I can't control that or her so it's not a part of my world. Nor do I wish to predict the future effects of a present positive action. I know it was positive because it felt so.
0 Replies

pokemasterat

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 03:50 pm
@Justin,
I suppose it's pretty much just a matter of outlook. Is the glass half full or half empty? I'd say half of it contains water, half of it contains air.
But, to be nitpicky, you have evidence that it was a positive action. Technically, your feelings aren't the end-all argument on the situation's outcome, one which you never heard of. And I meant that it was extreme to never do good deeds. (Assuming you know what good is) You could balance it out and only do good deeds when you believe that they are, in fact, good deeds.

On a final note, to answer my own pickiness and no real posed question or perceived one: the lady may have run out of gas, and been found by a cop car if the money hadn't been given. Just a repetition of what I said that makes more sense...
0 Replies

Justin

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 04:37 pm
@Justin,
Thanks for the clarification. You're right, it's all a person's individual outlook or perception.

I try to do my best to view everything in a positive light because it seems to always outweigh that of the negative. Since thoughts are things... first comes the thought, then comes the manifestation of that thought which expresses itself in energy and that energy we send out responds the like. We will end up attracting that in which we think about most often so in practice, I feel it's important to look past the negatives and find the positives in everything because there are so many.

[INDENT]
Quote:
The whole Universe is a mirror which reflects back to you, that which you reflect into it.
- Lao Russell
[/INDENT]
Great discussion. Thank you young man for desiring to discuss philosophy.
0 Replies

pokemasterat

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 04:59 pm
@Justin,
I've got to! If I didn't make my brain jump hurdles and traverse tunnels of great depths, and fall through worm holes, I'd just poof away into a random statistic... Sad

Three cheers for the love of wisdom!
cjames phil

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 01:13 pm
@pokemasterat,
Great last post Justin, and you are so right.

“Whether you think you can or can’t either way you are right.” - Henry Ford
0 Replies