I don't understand how gravity works

Ionus

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 05:11 pm
Gravity doesnt work, it is quite lazy. You have to do work to fight gravity (by definition of work). Think of gravity as a result of dimensions and matter at crossed purposes.

Many say the 3 dimensions are length, depth and width but this is really the same dimension 3 times. The first dimension is seperation, and we measure that by distance and time. The second dimension is area and the third dimension is volume. Into the third dimension, add matter.

The third dimension doesnt like matter and tries to squeeze it out of existence, black holes for example. Matter resists by the tricky manouver of moving. Planets orbit because the third dimension, volume, is trying to crush it into the sun, whereas matter wants to go off exploring, so there is a compromise...an orbit.

In between galaxies, volume is being created and this gives the appearance of the galaxies flying apart, but they are actually stationary, it is the space between them that is growing.

All energy flows from a high to a low, and gravity is no exception but it is often looked at the wrong way. In the heart of a galaxy we have a great deal of matter (comparatively) and little space, whereas in between galaxies we have a great deal of space and very little matter. Volume is trying to crush the irritant matter and it gives the appearance of gravity flowing out from the matter but it is better to think of it as a property of volume and it is flowing in towards matter. It is a negative force and we measure it positively so we think it is from matter inward as a pull. It is from space outward as a push.

The reason there is so much trouble in joining gravity with the other three forces is they are a product of matter and gravity is a product of space.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 05:52 pm
What goes up, must come down.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 06:14 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:
Scientists from the Evangelical Center For Faith-Based Reasoning . . . .

http://www.theonion.com/articles/evangelical-scientists-refute-gravity-with-new-int,1778/

Now, there's a sentence that's off to a good start.
Eorl

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 07:35 am
@roger,
No doubt all the atheists will just ignore this new evidence for their own reasons, but even scientists are forced to admit they don't know everything. Can you prove that it's always gravity that makes things fall? No, you can't. What if sometimes it's gravity and sometimes it's God... oops, I mean, an unknown other intelligent force?
Also it just so happens that gravity holds us and everything we need to survive here on the planet. You atheists think that's just a random coincidence? I find that hard to believe.
Eorl

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 07:54 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

si , it's not just us trailer trash that can't explain gravity, none of you wooden dick-heads have a clue. so much for understanding politics or religion. I'm left with the question of why can't a make jello with fresh pineapple. Possibly BBB/Okie/Ican or Finn will cut and paste me an answer to that.

Risking a serious answer based on my own dumb-ass understanding; I don't think gravity works at all. Gravity only appears to exist when one attempts to interfere with the natural position of an object. The "work" is therefore a product of your resistance not of some mysterious gravitational force.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:49 am
I love physics but i always found it funny how they would try to explain gravity by using gravity. They would start off by saying, think of space like a piece of elastic fabric stretched out. If you place an object with some mass onto this piece of fabric it will bend. The more mass and object has the more it bends space fabric. So another smaller object that comes close to another heavier object will get caught pulled into the other objects bent gravity well. The funny thing is they are using gravity to explain this, but never answer the question;

Why does mass bend space?

(yes I know that science doesn't answer "why" questions, but i couldn't come up with the exact wording that would hit the point i was trying to make. I could have easily just asked it, how does mass bend space, but then i would get the same answer as before.)

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:05 pm
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

No doubt all the atheists will just ignore this new evidence for their own reasons, but even scientists are forced to admit they don't know everything. Can you prove that it's always gravity that makes things fall? No, you can't. What if sometimes it's gravity and sometimes it's God... oops, I mean, an unknown other intelligent force?
Also it just so happens that gravity holds us and everything we need to survive here on the planet. You atheists think that's just a random coincidence? I find that hard to believe.

Typical. Don't know all the answers: Postulate God. Why? No particular reason, except to feel the warm fuzzies perhaps.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:10 pm
@dyslexia,
Gravity SUCKS!!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:40 pm
@Eorl,
Quote:
What if sometimes it's gravity and sometimes it's God... oops, I mean, an unknown other intelligent force?

Eorl:
Get a one pound lead ball. Climb a ten foot ladder. Release the ball. Observe the action of the ball. Make notes. Climb down.
Pick up ball. Climb the ten foot ladder. Release the ball. Observe the action of the ball. Make notes. Climb down.
Repeat one million times.

Report any and all variations caused by First Causer.

Joe(also show us those incredible calves from climbing that frigging ladder a million times.)Nation
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:16 pm
I see I'm going to have to give lecture on satirical comedy... Or perhaps get better at delivering it! Mad
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:00 pm
@Eorl,
If a joke has to be explained - - - Razz
Eorl

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Maybe more time spent at the Onion or Vengaza.org could help with parody recognition eb? Razz
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:26 pm
I eat onions.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:36 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

I have a feeling Einstein knew, and perhaps even told us, but we haven't quite understood yet.

I think it's more about space-time being bent, rather than space alone. I'm not being picky, I think it's key.

All mass is attracted to all other mass very weakly, (and that, apparently, is gravity) unless there are reasons for it to repel, such as a magnetic field. two lumps of metal in space will attract, while the same lumps magnetized and placed like pole to like pole will repel. So then, perhaps the very weak attraction is actually the same force as the magnetic force and the weak electrical force.

Even if that isn't all rubbish (and it almost certainly is) it still only moves the why question to another place.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:40 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

Because that's the Law.

You get to choose whether it's the Law of God or just The Law.

If mass didn't bend space, our existence would be a whole lot different.

Perhaps if different permutations of physics held sway here in our universe there might still be a Finn responding to a Krumple in cyber-space, but I doubt it.

Utterly random or magnificent design.

Since there is a Finn, I opt for the latter.

You decide.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 04:50 am
The latest experiments show not only is the universe flat without curved space/time but it is flatter than anyone thought.

Matter bends space - why ? because it can. It is like putting a round ball of matter into a square box of space for which the ball is too big....it distorts the sides and space is no longer the standard square box.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 08:54 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

Because it does.

Gravity is one of the four fundamental interactions.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 09:07 am
Hi All,
I've always had a problem with the gravity-elastic band parallel. If the mass of an object were to make an indentation in said (elastic-band) environment, we need to subject the band to the same law; Where is the band - Up, down, left, right or all encompassing? If all encompassing then gravity is non-directional, but would create a static field ceasing the motion of said object.
Anyway, I'm bored with this post at the moment, I'll get back to it later.
Have a brilliant weekend, All.
Mark...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 09:23 am
perhaps it's me but I read the responses to my question re how gravity works to be no more that tautological verbage. the point was really to point out that a phenomena as common to our collective experience and scientific observations as is gravity is inexplicable. there is no unified field theory that offers any whatsoever explanation of gravity. in spite of this lack of understanding we do encounter ideas such as string theory, multiverses, rivers of galaxies contradicting time, ad infinitum. I might well have inquired as to the nature of photon wave""particle duality. I suspect when confronted with "we don't know what we don't know" we are quick to imply, to ourselves and others that we do indeed know what we don't know. Possibly hubris. are ansers to be found in the :forms and ideals of Plato/Aristotle. the speculations of Stephen Hawking, The Dancing Wu Li Masters, or personal observation?
Ionus

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 07:33 am
@dyslexia,
If you plan on staying on this planet we have a very good working knowledge of gravity.
0 Replies