Hormone Level?

Sat 5 Jun, 2010 06:21 am
How is one's hormone level checked? (female)

What does it all mean.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,403 • Replies: 14
Topic Closed
No top replies

contrex

Sat 5 Jun, 2010 06:47 am
A hormone (from Greek ὁρμή - "impetus") is a chemical released by a cell in one part of the body, that sends out messages that affect cells in other parts of the body. There are many different hormones. Your post is not clear enough for any other answer.
Izzie

Sat 5 Jun, 2010 07:31 am
@sullyfish6,
Hey Sullyfish

a simple blood test will show if your hormone levels (female) are lowering. Depending on age and circumstances, you can then have Hormone replacement therapy or just work through it.

http://www.thebody.com/content/treat/art14092.html

Lowering oestrogen can affect your bones - osteoporosis

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/Osteoporosis.html

talk with your GP for advice if you are having menopausal symptoms.
chai2

Sat 5 Jun, 2010 07:52 am
Hormone levels indicating approaching menopause are dicey at best IMO.

My periods from age 12 to late 40's were amazingly regular. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I was off by more than a day or two.

Anyway, I'm guessing when I was I think 47- 48 I had over a span of 18 months twice when I didn't get my period, and the one following that skipped month was weird.

I mentioned this to my doctor on a regular visit, and that I'd had a normal period for the last 3 or 4 months. She checked my hormones and the results were totally in the normal range, not even on the low side for whatever time of month it was.

I never had another period since that time. Not even after my hormones were checked and found to be normal.

jespah

Sat 5 Jun, 2010 10:08 am
@chai2,
It's a blood test plus, as has been said above, you'll be asked when you last had your period and whether it seems to still be coming somewhat regularly, even if more or less frequently.
chai2

Sat 5 Jun, 2010 10:31 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

It's a blood test plus, as has been said above, you'll be asked when you last had your period and whether it seems to still be coming somewhat regularly, even if more or less frequently.

Not following you...

In the 18 months prior to my cessation of menses, I skipped 2 periods, so they were what I would consider very regular.

When I had the blood test, they indicated all systems were still go.

But, even though I'd only skipped twice in a year and a half, and the 2nd time I skipped had been I think 3 or 4 months prior, then, I just never had another period again.
Bam, no more menses.

So, in my case, it seems my menopause consisted of missing 2 cycles over a year and a half, the 2 missed cycles separated by a year or so.

The blood work indicated none of this.

I wish everyone could have as easy a menopause as me. I'm not even sure if I ever even had a hot flash.

Mame

Sat 5 Jun, 2010 10:34 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I wish everyone could have as easy a menopause as me. I'm not even sure if I ever even had a hot flash.

As do many of us! You're a lucky gal, trust me.
jespah

Sat 5 Jun, 2010 10:38 am
@chai2,
I was getting every 3 weeks for a while there. That was regular, but more frequent than before (my body was having a fire sale for my remaining eggs). Now I'm suddenly back on every 4 weeks, regularly. It's when it gets really erratic that you're progressing closer to actual menopause, e. g. one full year with no period.
chai2

Sat 5 Jun, 2010 10:57 am
Oh!

2 important things I'd like to share with anyone who is going through, or has been through menopause.

Problem: Vaginal dryness

Solution: Black cohosh and evening primrose oil.

Take the black cohosh orally, and some of the evening primrose oil capsules orally, and insert some of the capsules vaginally.

The black cohosh delivers a mild plant form of estrogen, and just all around helps mood, makes you feel, I don't know, more womanly.

A while after menopause, I suppose something else in my body started to shut off, and vaginal dryness occured.

Sex became literally impossible, regardless of lubricants. The walls of the vagina thin out and dry, and application of lubricants meant to be used prior to intercourse was not the solution.

My physician recommended I try both the cohosh and oil. I decided to insert an oil capsule at bedtime.
The first time, when the capsule burst, I was half asleep but suddenly came awake with a very bad burning sensation. "Oh ****, I thought, maybe I'm allergic" Then the burning subsided. The next night the burning was less, and in a couple of more days it was gone. The skin was just so dry, it hurt, like if you have chapped hands and put on lotion, and it stings.

Now I insert a capsule maybe 2 or 3 times a week, and take more orally.

It has made a tremendous difference. Just make sure you insert the capsule as high up as you can. If you are experiencing drying, and find insertion painful, nip a tiny hole in the end of the capsule, and squeeze a little of the oil out, so it coast the capsule. Then there shoud be no problem.

A few months ago, I was at Whole Foods, in the vitamin aisle, and a woman about my age was standing next to me, looking at these various menapausal supplements. We started chatting, and somehow it came out this dryness was her problem also. When I showed her the evening primrose oil and told her what I did and how it worked, she actually teared up saying "oh god, sex is just so painful. My husbands understanding (so was mine) but I've got to do something." I just know it helped her too.
Even if you are not sexually active, I think it's a good thing to do for yourself.
It's just taking care of your insides.

0 Replies

chai2

Sat 5 Jun, 2010 10:59 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

(my body was having a fire sale for my remaining eggs).

Laughing

0 Replies

chai2

Sat 5 Jun, 2010 11:03 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

chai2 wrote:

As do many of us! You're a lucky gal, trust me.

Oh I know.

I'm not bragging. I think I got this easy out as a legacy from my mother.
Her sister had a horrible menapause, and I remember my mother saying...."I dunno...I just got hot a couple of times"

I do feel fortunate....so does my husband....and anyone else who knows me.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sat 5 Jun, 2010 11:58 am
@Izzie,
There are also saliva tests that can be done by some compounding pharmacies.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sat 5 Jun, 2010 11:59 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

A hormone (from Greek ὁρμή - "impetus") is a chemical released by a cell in one part of the body, that sends out messages that affect cells in other parts of the body. There are many different hormones. Your post is not clear enough for any other answer.

It is very clear if you're female and experienced perimenopause.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sat 5 Jun, 2010 12:02 pm
@sullyfish6,
Here's some info for you on various testing methods:

http://www.bodylogicmd.com/for-women/hormone-tests

0 Replies

sullyfish6

Sun 6 Jun, 2010 08:51 am
Thanks - total hysterectomy 15 years ago. (now age 61)

Have been on premerin .065 since. Recent breast mammogram showed irregular cells, got that checked out and it was just more dense fibroid tissue. GP Dr. took me off premarin.

I need to find out if my hormone level is suseptible to hormone replacement, like the premarin. I will talk to the breast Dr. about that. I understand the pathology report will tell you if the cells are receptive to hormones.

I have felt great over the years. Very seldom had mild heat flashes. Have not taken the premarin for over a month. Have had just three warm flashes, no big deal. Now, I am also considering natural hormone replacement. I want to be prepared when I go into the Dr's.

I like to know what questions to even ask . . .
0 Replies