except the ones who aren't.

Names, please... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 11:15 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Thomas wrote:
Actually I am saying that all Germans are neo-Nazis---except the ones who have renounced Hitler's Mein Kampf as their political operations manual. ...

All Christians are radical and insane --- except the ones who aren't.

I agree as far as it goes, but it's a little more than that. All Christians are radical and insane---except the ones who aren't. But the insane ones tend to be those who stayed the closest to their Biblical roots. It is therefore disingenuous to portray them as out-of-left-field freaks. In other words, the insianity displayed in this Baptist church is not capricious; it inheres in Christianity's foundation, the Bible. It is the sane Christians who have increasingly ignored the Bible in order to figure out their own approach to telling good from evil. And more power to them for doing this! Still, this only underscores that insane attitude towards woman lie at the fundaments of the Abrahamic religions, not at their fringes.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 11:36 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
Quote:
"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven." (New American Standard Bible, Matthew 5: 17--19)

My understanding of what he is saying here is that he, Jesus, literally or figuratively, however one prefers to look at it- as in concept or physical embodiment of love one toward another- is the accomplishment or fulfillment of the prophesies of the Old Testament.

Then your understanding willfully ignores the very plain language in which Jesus speaks about the law and the prophets here. And mind you, he's speaking about what we call the Old-Testament law and the Old-Testament prophets. What part of his phrase, "not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the law", don't you understand? Where is his language so vague it needs professional interpretation? And how could he be any clearer when he says, "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven"?

Jesus isn't talking about the love-is-a-higher-law generalities you wish to read into this passage. Rather, he sets a clear policy of strict adherence to what we now call the Old Testament. Then he states specific reasons for the policy, and describes specific sanctions for departing from it. And he's doing it in concise, unambiguous language. Not in some obscure corner of the Bible, but in the Sermon of the Mount. If that doesn't convince you that Jesus meant what he said here, what more does it take?
aidan

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 11:44 am
@Thomas,
What law are you talking about?

You know what Thomas - you is a physicist. I aren't. You am smarter about everything then I is- even my bromicidal beliefs.

I find your dismissal of something that is meaningful to me and millions of other people appallingly arrogant and intolerant - from someone who probably believes he's one of the most tolerant people in the world.

I'll just keep deluding myself. Feel free to restrain your urge to prove yourself more intelligent and ultimately right about everything - even about what I believe and teach my children.

Peace be unto you my brother.
Thomas

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 11:55 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
You know what Thomas - you is a physicist.

That's a nice red herring you've got there. My profession has nothing to do with it. Reading comprehension does.

aidan wrote:
I find your dismissal of something that is meaningful to me and millions of other people appallingly arrogant and intolerant

I'm sorry it hurts your feelings when someone applies common reading comprehension to one of the most-quoted texts in literature. But that is of course your choice. And your feelings, no matter how deeply felt, don't change a word in the text. Nor do they change that texts mean what their words say---not what you would like them to say.

aidan wrote:
Peace be unto you my brother.

Same to you. Amen.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 11:58 am
@Thomas,
You didn't hurt my feelings. I replied to your scolding in the same tone it was offered. If that was your version of a compliment, call me flabbergasted.

As to the quality of the blog post I pasted, why do you think I also included the links to reputable news sources at the bottom?

I did so after clicking on them and noting that they confirmed what the author of the blog post was alleging. Why did I do that? So that the information in the blog post could be verified by anyone who disliked that it was a blog and not a news source I posted.

You'll note that in the next post of mine, I recommended people also read the links to those reputable news sources.

Why did I do that? Because people on A2K insist that reputable sources be given with our posts so they can be confirmed, and I noted that the news sources gave additional appalling details not included in the woman's rights blog post.

I see nothing wrong with the way I did it and, quite frankly, see nothing wrong with the content in the opinion piece from the woman's rights advocacy website. Everything written was also included in the news source articles. The fact that Eva mistakenly thought it was a news article and critiqued it against journalistic standards was her error.

Again, if you want to critique my style, that's great, but leave the snooty lectures and scolding behind.
aidan

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 12:08 pm
@Thomas,
You didn't hurt my feelings.

I just don't see how it's productive to talk about something that's important and valuable to me with someone who obviously has his own ideas about what 'every' Christian must believe and how every Christian has to read, comprehend and/or interpret the same text.

It seems to me your mind is closed and I'm not interested in hearing how you think you're right and I'm wrong about the beliefs I've developed over the course of many years- especially when you use such a belittling tone and words like 'bromide' to describe something that has vastly and hugely enriched my life.

I thank GOD I was born to the two Christian parents I was born to and raised in the church and Christian home that I was - which by the way - bears absolutely NO resemblance to this church.

Maybe where I perceive your profession coming into it is that I am assuming that as a scientist, you have a basic and fundamental want or need to intellectualize and/or explain most things - even something that can't be intellectualized or explained.

I have no need to do that. I actually enjoy many things I can't explain.

Again - you didn't hurt my feelings. And I have absolutely no hard feelings.

I just like to protect what I value.

Thomas

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 12:10 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
I see nothing wrong with the way I did it and, quite frankly, see nothing wrong with the content in the opinion piece from the woman's rights advocacy website.

You really see nothing wrong with it? Let me explain it to you one more time then.

1) You asked us to comment about a set of alleged facts, yet your most prominent support for the facts was an opinion piece. Although it's true that you also linked to news stories, these stories were not what you emphasized through your cutting and pasting. You emphasized the wrong piece. That's what's wrong with the way you did it.

2) Even for an opinion piece, this blog entry was sensational, inflamatory, emanating heat instead of light. And that's what's wrong with the content of the opinion piece.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 12:16 pm
@Thomas,
In other words, the blog piece did what it intended. It got readers interested in learning more about and reacting to the people and allegations.

Oddly, that was why I posted it too.

Just face it, Thomas. I'm not the perfect angel of quality you expect me to be and have no desire to be such. You'll just have to deal with your disappointment when my halo shows some tarnish. Wink
Thomas

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 12:20 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
I just don't see how it's productive to talk about something that's important and valuable to me

If you look back in the thread, you will find that you were the one addressing me about it first. If you don't see how that's productive, all you have to do is stop.
Thomas

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 12:23 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
In other words, the blog piece did what it intended. It got readers interested in learning more about and reacting to the people and allegations.

No, the blog piece didn't do what it intended. I got interested in learning more in spite of it, not because of it. Moreover, it made me less likely to check out a story the next time you post one to A2K.

Butrflynet wrote:
Just face it, Thomas. I'm not the perfect angel of quality you expect me to be and have no desire to be such. You'll just have to deal with your disappointment when my halo shows some tarnish. Wink

Fair enough. Wink
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 02:13 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
If you look back in the thread, you will find that you were the one addressing me about it first. If you don't see how that's productive, all you have to do is stop.

I don't have to look back in the thread to know that. I responded to a blanket and stereotypical comment you made with an explanation of my beliefs, which you belittled- and it was at that point I realized it wouldn't be productive or useful or even interesting to continue the discussion.

I didn't know that before I began the discussion - unlike you - I'm not sure that I know everything before I even ask.
I've given you the opportunity to show me. You have. I'm done. Over and out.
0 Replies

Handbags

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 03:09 pm
@Butrflynet,
Wow, what a tragic story. I hate that some girls and women must suffer again after the rape by feeling trauma and guilt
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 04:13 pm
More traffic at the rape-religion crossroads.

Here's a great blog post that breaks down the "Immodesty Survey" which is designed to "help" girls understand how their clothing choices affect their male peers.
Quote:
"We're not telling you what to wear — we're just listing the stuff that will justify raping you."

Full article

A
R
T
dyslexia

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 04:23 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
wicked thoughts
If it weren't for "wicked thoughts" I'd be brain dead.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 07:24 pm
@failures art,
Ugh!!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 07:40 pm
@failures art,
Quote:

Here's a great blog post that breaks down the "Immodesty Survey" which is designed to "help" girls understand how their clothing choices affect their male peers.
until and unless we get to a point where scientists can hook up electrodes to guys brains and dicks and see no ramifications from how women dress showing women the effect that they have on men is the responsible thing to do. From that point on if they are dressing in such a way that gets men hot and bothered it is reasonable to ask these women why they are doing it.

note to the stupid: dressing in a way that excites men does not permit a woman to be raped without the normal consequences for rape..
0 Replies

demonhunter

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 02:04 pm
@Butrflynet,
This is disturbing.
0 Replies

MGSfan

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 06:48 am
@Butrflynet,
People like that make all christans look bad.
0 Replies