DO THAY CELEBRATE PEARL HARBOR DAY IN JAPAN??

roger

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 05:23 pm
@Nakazaboy,
I suppose I was being overly delicate. The Bataan Death March occured substantially after Pearl Harbor, and was hardly a reason for declaring war on Japan.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 12:46 am
@Nakazaboy,
Roosevelt was not a monarch. The embargo against Japan was passed by Congress. Furthermore, the embargo went into effect in late August, 1941, long after the Japanese had begun planning the attack on Hawaii, on Hong Kong, on the Philippines. on French Indo-China, on the Malay peninsula, on Singapore, on British Borneo and on the Netherlands East Indies. You don't just cobble together operations like that in a few months time. It takes a long time to assemble hundreds of thousands of troops, tens of thousands of aircraft and thousands of ships, and to distribute them appropriately, with all their necessary supplies so that they can move out in a coordinated manner. Essentially, you're attempting to portray the perpetrator here as some kind of hapless, innocent victim.

As has been pointed out, the rape of Nanking took place in 1937, while the Bataan Death March was an event in 1942, long after Japan had begun its war with the United States. If your knowledge of history is that feeble, you have no place in such a discussion.

The United States was not obliged to trade with Japan. Whatever the justification, the Congress of the United States is entitled to prohibit trade with any nation. That doesn't make them culpable if the response of a militarist government is to declare war. Basically, your argument is some kind of bizarre variation on manifest destiny, that Japan was fated to rule its laughable East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere, and that the United States caused war by not cooperating in that effort.

The planniong for those several attacks was well underway, and the attack on Hawaii had been planned for a year before it was carried out. An embargo enacted in August, 1941 can hardly be used as a justification for a career upon which Japan was (suicidally) already embarked.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 12:50 am
@Nakazaboy,
This is, of course, absolute bullshit. There was a war alert message and two war warning messages sent out in November, 1941. It's hardly the fault of government if commanders in the Pacific failed to respond appropriately to the warnings they received.

Alert Message from Chief of Naval Operations

Nov. 24, 1941

ACTION: CinCAF, CinCPAC, Com 11, Com 12, Com 13, Com 15

INFO: Spenavo London Cinclant

Chances of favorable outcome of negotiations with Japan very doubtful. This situation coupled with statements of Japanese Government and movements their naval and military forces indicate in our opinion that a surprise aggressive movement in any direction including attack on Philippines or Guam is a possibility. Chief of Staff has seen this dispatch concurs and requests action adees [addressees] to inform senior Army officers their areas. Utmost secrecy necessary in order not to complicate an already tense situation or precipitate Japanese action. Guam will be informed separately.

Copy to WPD, War Dept. and Op-12 but no other distribution.

War Warning Message from Chief of Naval Operations

Nov. 27, 1941

ACTION: CinCAF, CinCPAC

INFO: Cinclant, Spenavo

This dispatch is to be considered a war warning. Negotiations with Japan looking toward stabilization of conditions in the Pacific have ceased and an aggressive move by Japan is expected within the next few days. The number and equipment of Japanese troops and the organization of naval task forces indicates an amphibious expedition against either the Philippines, Thai or Kra Peninsula or possibly Borneo. Execute an appropriate defensive deployment preparatory to carrying out the tasks assigned in WPL 46. Inform district and Army authorities. A similar warning is being sent by War Department.

Spenavo inform British. Continental districts Guam, Samoa directed take appropriate measures against sabotage.

Copy to WPD, War Dept.

Army Alert Sent by Chief of Naval Operations:

Nov. 28, 1941

ACTION: Com Pnncf, Com Psncf

INFO: Cincpac Com Pncf

28----

Refer to my 272338. Army has sent following to commander western defense command.

Negotiations with Japan appear to be terminated to all practical purposes with only the barest possibilities that the Japanese Government might come back and offer to continue. Japanese future action unpredictable but hostile action possible at any moment. If hostilities cannot repeat not be avoided the United States desires that Japan commit the first overt act. This policy should not repeat not be construed as restricting you to a course of action that might jeopardize your defense. Prior to hostile Japanese action you are directed to undertake such reconnaissance and other measures as you deem necessary but these measure should be carried out so as not repeat not to alarm civil population or disclose intent. Report measures taken. A separate message in being sent to G-2, Ninth Corps Area re subversive activities in the United States. Should hostilities occur you will carry out the tasks assigned in Rainbow five so far as they pertain to Japan. Limit dissemination of this highly secret information to minimum essential officers. Unquote. WPL 52 is not applicable to Pacific area and will not be placed in effect in that area except as now in force in southeast Pacific sub area and Panama naval coastal frontier. Undertake no offensive action until Japan has committed an overt act. Be prepared to carry out tasks assigned in WPL-46, so far as they apply to Japan in case hostilities occur.

Basically, you don't know what the hell you're talking about. You're just puking up a popular and idiotic conspiracy theory.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 05:36 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

This is, of course, absolute bullshit. There was a war alert message and two war warning messages sent out in November, 1941.
Its hardly likely that u 'd let a conservative Republican President get away with that.
It's hardly the fault of government if commanders in the Pacific
failed to respond appropriately to the warnings they received.
I suspect that u know better than that!
(Without referring to bovine excrement), your notion is without merit.
I don't ofen cite to Harry Truman,
but he did know where the buck stopped
n he took responsibility for it.
The concept includes Roosevelt.

David
0 Replies

skmlord

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 09:37 am
@engineer,
Right on. I hate Susie. My name is Susan. I correct people over and over. First time okay, after that, they are being jerks. If the Japanese are offended by "Jap", we should refrain from using it. They should be proud of their heritage just like Americans should be proud of theirs. We should all be looking at how we move forward as friends and allies. If that means Japanese vs Japs, so be it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 12:20 pm
@skmlord,
skmlord wrote:
Right on. I hate Susie. My name is Susan. I correct people over and over. First time okay, after that, they are being jerks. If the Japanese are offended by "Jap", we should refrain from using it. They should be proud of their heritage just like Americans should be proud of theirs. We should all be looking at how we move forward as friends and allies. If that means Japanese vs Japs, so be it.
So far as I remember,
I have not received requests nor complaints on that point from the Japs,
but rather from politically correct American liberals. I 'm not in much of a rush to please them.

David
0 Replies