DO THAY CELEBRATE PEARL HARBOR DAY IN JAPAN??

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 07:05 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Sorry, I don't see that.
It is common courtesy to call someone by his name.
David wrote:
That addresses the relative proportionate incidence of its occurance, not not its morality.

During the 1930s (1937 forward) and 1940s, it was very "common" as u put it,
to add adjectives to their name (damn Japs, sneaky Japs, dirty Japs, sadistic Japs).
engineer wrote:
I noticed you focused on "common", not "courtesy".
As you point out, you don't have to be polite, you have free speech.
But I'll bet you when you go out with your wife to meet another
couple you don't just assign them nicknames. I can't envision this conversation:

"David, this is Jennifer. "
"Hello Jenny"
"Hello David, I go by Jennifer"
"Jennifer is just to hard, I'll call you Jenny"
(Jenny to her date) "This guy is a complete ass"
The closest that I came to that, was qua a Greek chick I dated in the 1970s,
who introduced herself to me as Joan. I used that name for several years.
As an opera star wannabe, she unofficially changed her name,
to impersonate a vague alien, in the belief that it 'd make her
more interesting in her imaginary career. I was unwilling to co-operate
with her adopted weird alien name. She was always Joan to me. I got used to it.

engineer wrote:
Do you call Italians "guidos"?
No; Italians is shorter n has better name recognition.

engineer wrote:
Jews "goys"?
No; I don 't speak their language,
but I have a (contextual) hunch that word means non-Jew.
My Jewish girlfriend 's mother complained to me of being surrounded by goys.

engineer wrote:
Use "gooks" for Asians?
No; I 'm usually more specific.

engineer wrote:
Call Muslims "hajis"?
I never heard that word, nor know what it is. I suspect a low recognition factor.
Let the record indicate that, except for brevity,
I see no particular value in changing the names of nationalities.

engineer wrote:
It's pretty passive-aggressive to intentionally call someone a name they find insulting
Jap is a shortened form of their undisputed name. That 's the same as David and Dave; (excuse my repetitive redundance).
It is not aggressive. If I wanted to be AGGRESSIVE,
then I 'd find a Jap and touch on the subject of the rape of Nanking or the Bataan Death March,
to say nothing of a date that will live in infamy,
while our boys were asleep on a Sunday morning in peacetime.

engineer wrote:
then claim some universal right of language to cover yourself. Free speech may allow you to call people anything you want,
The way u say that, u make it sound
as if I were DISTORTING their name to something else,
instead of SHORTENING it.
I have not committed deception, nor misrepresentation in any degree, however slight.

engineer wrote:
but if you want to offend someone,
be adult enough to just offend them instead of hiding behind
some pretext to justify your action.
There is no "pretext" in the word "Jap".

If I still resented them, I am enuf of a loudmouth to say so openly.

I do not bear them ill will.

David
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 09:42 am
Hi David,

If you understand the historical use of the word as a means to marginalize the Japanese, then it seems you can understand why some would be still offended today. I believe that you can appreciate that there is no need to abbreviate Japanese to Jap given the implication.

The point of abbreviating things seems to be to shorten or save time. You don't do that by having to explain you're not being racist each time you use the phrase to clarify yourself. I don't think you're being hateful, but stubborn perhaps.

A
R
T
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 10:52 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

Hi David,
Hi.

failures art wrote:
If
you understand the historical use of the word as a means to marginalize the Japanese,
I don 't.
When we wanted to marginalize them,
we stashed them in concentration camps.

That was not a function of an abbreviation.

failures art wrote:
then it seems you can understand why some would be still offended today.
I have never heard any survivor of those camps connect the action of kidnapping & confining them,
which was drastic and the abbreviation of the word which was infinitesimal in its triviality, particularly in light of the fact
that NOTHING BAD is implied; thay r not accused being lazy, nor stupid, nor fat, nor perverted nor anything bad.

Something ELSE that the Japs have never been, so far as I know, is that thay were not IRRATIONAL.
Thay have no reason to object to an abbrievation, like writing the word enuf NOT enough, or tho, NOT thoUGH.
Its just common sense. So far as I am aware, the Japs HAVE common sense, or better.
(I don 't pretend to be an expert.)

The abbreviation of the name ante-dated the unpleasantness of 12/7/41.

If or when English are called Brits
there has never been any implication that thay were too much of one thing
or not enuf of something else. It is merely identification.

failures art wrote:
I believe that you can appreciate that there is no need to abbreviate Japanese
The purpose of abbreviations is brevity; that is the reason. U can decide whether that is a "need".

failures art wrote:
to Jap given the implication
WHAT implication ??????????????????
I have been an American, born in NY, for a long, long time.
I have never, not even ONCE heard that there was any implication attributed to the name of your race.

Since U allege that there is an IMPLICATION,
I ask u to identify what that implication IS, that u have in mind.

failures art wrote:
The point of abbreviating things seems to be to shorten or save time.
It IS.

failures art wrote:

You don't do that by having to explain you're not being racist each time you use the phrase to clarify yourself.
On the seldom occasions that thay arise in conversation, I almost never am challenged for identifying them or abbreviating.
It has not been my practice to go around vilifying nor denouncing the Japs. I am not mad at them.

As far as racism is concerned,
racist views of them very likely woud be of GOOD and admirable qualities that the Japs have.

failures art wrote:
I don't think you're being hateful,
It is a fact that I do not harbor ill will against any of our Axis enemies.
I find no need to be bothered with that. I love Italian food.
The Japs never did anything to me, nor to any personal friend of mine.
Emotions are a personal and private matter.
My dead friend, Neil, an Irishman, told me of another Irishman
(purportedly mild mannered) that he hated the English so intensely
that "if an Englishman saved my life, I coudn 't like him."

If any Americans choose to hate the Japs because of Pearl Harbor,
or if any Japs choose to hate Americans for our nuclear attacks on them,
thay are all perfectly within their rights to do so.
There is no dishonor therein; it is merely politically incorrect. I go out of my way to be politically incorrect.

failures art wrote:
but stubborn perhaps.
When I was a kid, I founded and presided over a conservative anti-liberal political club.
I got a little thrill out of it, when my vice-president,
with whom I 'd argued for a long time, said:
"David, u r the MOST bull-headed man I have ever known."

I am willing to stick to my guns.

David
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 01:17 pm
My family was harassed for years and years after WW2. People specifically chose to marginalize them by calling them "japs." These people chose the word for exactly the reason your claiming doesn't exist.

A
R
T
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 01:35 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
My family was harassed for years and years after WW2.
HOW were u harassed?
Did someone get mad at u ?

How can calling anyone a Jap instead of the full name
have any tangible result ?
Explain ?

failures art wrote:
People specifically chose to marginalize them by calling them "japs."
That, ALONE, will have no effect. It will not work.
Please define "marginalize" in the sense that u r using it.

failures art wrote:

These people chose the word for exactly the reason your claiming doesn't exist.

A
R
T
There has to be more to it than that.
If u wanna make your point,
then tell us what happened, otherwise,
what u said is not understandable.

David
Bella Dea

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 09:27 am
David, you are a complete ass.

You've just been told by someone who, out of all of us, knows best that it is offensive and yet you continue to claim it isn't. The day you become Japanese is the day you can tell anyone it isn't offensive.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 09:54 am
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:
David, you are a complete ass.
Is that better than an incomplete ass ?

Bella Dea wrote:
You've just been told by someone who, out of all of us,
knows best that it is offensive and yet you continue to claim it isn't.
The day you become Japanese is the day you can tell anyone it isn't offensive.
If someone assumes a position that is IRRATIONAL, I need not revere it,
nor observe it, nor comply with it. My loyalty is to sound reasoning.

For instance, if someone insists that the Moon landings were frauds,
I can humor him IF I want to, but I have no duty to do so,
nor do I have any duty to relinquish my right to abbreviate.
If anyone wants to call me Dave instead of David he has the right to do it, whether I like it or not.

I never got the right to go around making people say "id" against their will.

That is distinct from defaming them with false accusations
such as alleging that the Japs are stupid or lazy; thay were and are neither.

If I want to, I can go along with what he wants; I also have that option,
but if anyone claims to have the right to PREVENT anyone else from abbreviating,
then I 'd like to know where he got THAT right,
or if anyone alleges that abbreviation is an injustice,
my sense of logic tells me to disagree. I believe in candor.

David
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2010 06:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
My Grandmother (after being put in the camps), and my Grandfather (after serving in the Army) found that life in the USA post WW2 was very hostile. Even though the war was over, even though they were American citizens and he had even fought for the USA, he would be arrested and jailed under suspicion in every state he drove through as he moved his family from Monterey to Minnesota for the only job he could find that would hire him. He was a well qualified man. He had a degree in Chemistry, distinguished service record in WW2, and a strong work ethic. Despite this, in the eyes of the public, he and his family were just "Japs," and it was clear that "Japs" were not to be trusted.

What you're omitting from consideration here is the usage of the word. Nobody here is saying that all abbreviations are insulting. What is being explained to you here is that words that have been used to culturally subjugate and marginalize ethnic groups are racist, and that the word "jap" is exactly that: A racial slur.

A
R
T
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:04 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
My Grandmother (after being put in the camps), and my Grandfather (after serving in the Army) found that life in the USA post WW2 was very hostile. Even though the war was over, even though they were American citizens and he had even fought for the USA, he would be arrested and jailed under suspicion in every state he drove through as he moved his family from Monterey to Minnesota for the only job he could find that would hire him. He was a well qualified man. He had a degree in Chemistry, distinguished service record in WW2, and a strong work ethic. Despite this, in the eyes of the public, he and his family were just "Japs," and it was clear that "Japs" were not to be trusted.

What you're omitting from consideration here is the usage of the word. Nobody here is saying that all abbreviations are insulting. What is being explained to you here is that words that have been used to culturally subjugate and marginalize ethnic groups are racist, and that the word "jap" is exactly that: A racial slur.

A
R
T
3 points, in response to your post:
1. The people who resented your grandparents after the war
had no way of knowing (unless so informed) that your grandfather
served in the US Army. Because of the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor
(off topic: which Roosevelt intentionally provoked) the Japs were considered sneaky and not trustworthy,
regardless of whether thay really were trustworthy. During the war, the Japs had been shockingly sadistic,
such that war stories abounded about their cruelty and resentment for that was added to the aforesaid sneak attack
on Pearl Harbor. As of today, 65 or 69 years later, it is unreasonable to bear ill will against the Japs for this misconduct
(except of course for any survivors thereof or their families), but at the time, it was indeed reasonable and understandable
for the people to be resentful of that mistreatment. It woud have been a miracle if there had not been such resentment
(UNLESS, told that your grandfather fought in the US Army; u did not say whether he made that known;
maybe showing an Honorable Discharge).

2. If no one had thought of abbreviating the name of your race,
and if everyone had spelled it out or spoken each syallable fully,
that woud have had not the least effect, however slight, in restraining
them them from vengeful & vindictive discrimination, especially not
from any living survivors of Japanese brutalitiy, but also merely
from those who 'd read of the rape of Nanking in 1937,
let alone the Bataan Death March or how American POWs were treated.
Vengeance coud be executed (passive-aggressively or aggressive-aggressively)
while fully speaking the name, which is a very minor point, relative to what ELSE coud have happened.
So far as I am aware, the Jews always spoke the word "Germans" fully, but I doubt that had much effect
in reducing their just & proper resentment for what happened.

3. Addressing what u said about a "racial slur":
after the war, there remained such rage against the sadistic misconduct in question,
from Pearl Harbor thru all of the POW abuse, that no matter WHAT thay had been called,
Japanese in America were in a ruff ride, again UNLESS,
exculpated by something like an Honorable Discharge from the US Army.

A slur mean saying that something is BAD.
The abbreviation does not imply that anything is bad; it only identifies.
American hostility was so intense that so little and slight a matter
as presence or absence of abbreviation woud have no influence on discrimination
in revenge for Japanese abuses, when people were so motivated. Saying the word fully was no protection from the rage.

I assure u in full sincerity, that when we whites are in conversation among ourselves
when we mention "the Germans or the Japs" that is only by way of identification, and not with malice.

When malice IS intended, then adjectives must be (and are) added
("those damn nazis" or "those damned Japanese sadists" hanged schoolteachers).
There has been no correspondence between malice or forgiveness regarding abbreviation.

People who say the name FULLY have been boiling over with fury and resentment
and when I say the short form I do so with no ill will. It is non-indicative.

Your posts almost approach implying that if all Americans said
"Japanese" then there 'd be no residual resentment or no discrimination.
I deny that there is any correspondence whatsoever.

When I referred to the commies, I did not hate them more than when I said communists;
both terms were exactly the same in quality. Take my word for that.

If u believe that u will find evidence of discrimination
in whether or not the word "Japanese" is abbreviated, u adopt idle superstition.

As an engineer, u shoud adopt better logic.

David
failures art

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:23 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David - This isn't about abbreviation. This is about a specific word, "jap" being used to marginalize a group of people based on their ethnicity. You insisting it is not so, does not make it so. I don't think you're being racist, I just think you're being stubborn. You may have your own context and realtionship with the word, but you live in a society that has a very different one. That context is that the word is a slur.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap

A
R
T
Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 06:37 am
@failures art,
you are very patient and understanding, for a jap(anese person being confronted with this crap)...

Wink
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:41 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
David - This isn't about abbreviation. This is about a specific word, "jap" being used to marginalize a group of people based on their ethnicity. You insisting it is not so, does not make it so. I don't think you're being racist, I just think you're being stubborn. You may have your own context and realtionship with the word, but you live in a society that has a very different one. That context is that the word is a slur.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap

A
R
T

As I already pointed out, any such marginalization can be done with no reference to any abbreviation,
which is irrelevant to any such marginalization.

If someone resents the Japs, he can discriminate against them
without use of any abbreviation.

It is true that I am being stubborn,
but I have sound reasoning on my side and u do not.

David
failures art

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:18 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Sure, marginalization can happen without the word "jap." I have not argued that "jap" is in any way the one and only unique way to marginalize a Japanese person verbally.

"Nip" and "Tojo" were also common slurs. "Nip" was again an abbreviation for Nippon (the Japanese word for the country of Japan), and "Tojo" refereed to the Japanese Naval General who commanded the Pacific fleet.

I get what you're trying to say, but you don't get to deny the cultural context of these words David. Words are defined by their usage, and while you may not be using "jap" to intentionally offend anyone, to pretend that the word does not have several decades of usage in this exact way is foolish.

A
R
T
djjd62

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:20 pm
@failures art,
how about the yellow horde, is that off limits Wink
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:20 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

you are very patient and understanding, for a jap(anese person being confronted with this crap)...

Wink

David isn't a bad guy. He's just trying to have his view on par with a greater cultural context. He doesn't understand that the weight of his input, while honestly noble doesn't change the effect of the word.

I'm not offended.

A
R
T
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 01:36 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
Sure, marginalization can happen without the word "jap." I have not argued that "jap" is in any way the one and only unique way to marginalize a Japanese person verbally.

"Nip" and "Tojo" were also common slurs. "Nip" was again an abbreviation for Nippon (the Japanese word for the country of Japan), and "Tojo" refereed to the Japanese Naval General who commanded the Pacific fleet.

I get what you're trying to say, but you don't get to deny the cultural context of these words David. Words are defined by their usage, and while you may not be using "jap" to intentionally offend anyone, to pretend that the word does not have several decades of usage in this exact way is foolish.

A
R
T
On the odd occasions that the subject of the Japanese has come up in conversation since the war, within a whites only context,
I have not known the abbreviation to have ever been used with a malicious connotation, UNLESS in company
with derogatory adjectives added to the identification, which specify the objection, e.g. "sadistic Japs."

Just as ofen the concept was expressed as "those Japanese sadists".

I am of English ancestry, from Devon shire, England.
I see nothing rong with calling Englishmen "Brits".
Some folks don 't like them (e.g., the Irish),
but thay are Brits anyway.

David
failures art

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 03:27 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
The addition of adjectives is not necessary to to make "jap" into a slur David. You are incorrect about this.

A
R
T
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:12 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
The addition of adjectives is not necessary to to make "jap" into a slur David. You are incorrect about this.

A
R
T
I must contradict u directly on that point,
speaking as one who has used both the full word
and the abbreviation, as well as heard it in common use since the war.

It is like calling someone Jim whose name officially is James, be he good, bad or indifferent.

When used as a slur, to be a slur adjectives MUST be added,
such as sneaky Japs, brutal Japs, fanatical Japs, courageous Japs, industrious Japs,
brilliant Japs, cunning Japs, polite Japs, insightful Japs etc.

I know, from observation, how the word is used on a dispassionate basis, in a whites only conversation,
none of whose participants was ever directly injured by any Japs.

It is only a matter of identification, the same as saying Americans.

I have no reason to deceive u.

David
failures art

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 07:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I know you have no reason to deceive me David. I don't think you're racist. Your experience however on this word is limited and to fixed in tunnel vision to see it's full context.

You're reasoning leaves no explanation for the instances where "jap" is used without an adjective but with the clear intention to marginalize.

When someone says "We don't serve Japs" in a restaurant, they aren't using an adjective. Their choice to abbreviate is not arbitrary nor is it out of convenience. The context is understood in both parties: Get out because you're Japanese.

The adjective in unnecessary. You saying that you haven't heard the slur without the adjective is only you describing the limits of your experience, not the full cultural context of the word.

A
R
T
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 08:51 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
I know you have no reason to deceive me David. I don't think you're racist. Your experience however on this word is limited and to fixed in tunnel vision to see it's full context.

You're reasoning leaves no explanation for the instances where "jap" is used without an adjective but with the clear intention to marginalize.

When someone says "We don't serve Japs" in a restaurant, they aren't using an adjective. Their choice to abbreviate is not arbitrary nor is it out of convenience. The context is understood in both parties: Get out because you're Japanese.

The adjective in unnecessary. You saying that you haven't heard the slur without the adjective is only you describing the limits of your experience, not the full cultural context of the word.

A
R
T
My point is that thay coud just as well have said
"we don 't serve the Japanese here" with the same effect.

Used adjectivally, more ofen the full word has been used,
as in "Japanese atrocities" more ofen than "Jap atrocities".

I think I can be objective about it, and dispassionate about it, since I am not involved.

David