electronics and engineering

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 07:38 pm
how many watts does it take to power a car engine, and how many watts does an engine produce?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,715 • Replies: 7
No top replies

raprap

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 07:58 pm
@craftmans-concept,
watts and horse power are the same thing, only different units. The conversion factor is about 746 watts= 1 HP.

Rap
craftmans-concept

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 03:24 pm
@raprap,
Thanks.
So how many watts does it take to make the engine sustain itself?
I had an idea to convert an engine (not sure which one... or really how, but that's the futures problem) to power a fan, then convert the fans output into energy via wind power and thus sustaining itself for extended use.
After that I will need to find out how much force the fan produces and how much weight it can lift off the ground, resulting in the number of fans/engines I will need. These answers will inadvertently make or brake the follow through of the concept.
Any help or advice is very much appreciated,
thanks again
ebrown p

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 03:35 pm
@craftmans-concept,
Ummmm..... what you are proposing is a perpetual motion machine.

You should know that perpetual motion machines are impossible. They are not just impossible because no one knows how to build them... they are impossible because they break fundamental laws of the Universe.

0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 03:36 pm
@craftmans-concept,
Another thought, you don't really need an engine to generate electricity with wind power.
craftmans-concept

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 12:49 pm
@ebrown p,
Okay, so what laws do they break and how? I'm not disagreeing I'm just curious. Also, what else would you recommend as the primary function if not some kind of engine?
ebrown p

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 01:51 pm
@craftmans-concept,
Quote:
Perpetual motion violates either the first law of thermodynamics, the second law of thermodynamics, or both. The first law of thermodynamics is essentially a statement of conservation of energy. The second law can be phrased in several different ways, the most intuitive of which is that heat flows spontaneously from hotter to colder places; the most well known statement is that entropy tends to increase, or at the least stay the same; another statement is that no heat engine (an engine which produces work while moving heat between two separate places) can be more efficient than a Carnot heat engine. As a special case of this, any machine operating in a closed cycle cannot only transform thermal energy to work in a region of constant temperature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion

This entire article is worth reading. The link to the laws of thermodynamics also makes for good reading.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 02:10 pm
@craftmans-concept,
I would say to cut out the middle man and eliminate the fan. Just connect the engine directly to the generator.

0 Replies