I am not a happy camper today

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 08:51 am
@Mame,
Remember, propane tanks are screwed on in the opposite direction from other fittings (Its not righty tighty). You unscrew the valve by going clockwise. AND yes there should be a valve fitting on the tank. The valve has a big wing nut, usually nylon and you just tighten it. Then you unscrew the gas fitting on to the stove(Itlle probably be the first brass thing you come to). You take your wrench and turn the fitting clockwise to unscrew. Change the tank, then screw it counter clockwise to tighten
Be careful that you dont mess the threads up. Id just screw it on hand tight until you got it as far as you can, Then use the wrench.

Good Luck.

You could use the 100 pounder for a water heater too? I assume you got a pump from the lake for water and showering. NW you need a portable water heater (Rinnai makes a nice portable one thats gas operated)
Mame

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 08:58 am
@farmerman,

Water heater?????????? HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAH

I don't have a wrench! Sad

DrewDad

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 09:01 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
I don't have a wrench! Sad

Then you can only be described as... "nuts".
Mame

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 09:03 am
@DrewDad,
Yeah, I'm here aren't I?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 09:21 am
do you have a heavy handed butter knife? You can usually open a gas cylinder valve by tapping it clockwise with a butter knife handle then finger loosen it. What kind of outfit do you work for?
Mame

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 09:25 am
@farmerman,
Bozo the Clown outfit.

When I get it off, I need to attach it to the new one, then turn it on, then relight the pilot light, right? And that should be in the broiler area of the stove, correct?
farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 09:30 am
@Mame,
pilots are all over on different stoves so I cant help you there. In our RV, we only have a pilot in the oven. All the top burners are clicked on by these little piezo crystal lighter thingies.(No pilots).
Do your burners make a clicking sound when you turn em on?
Mame

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 09:32 am
@farmerman,
no, and no gas sound, either. nada.
Mame

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 09:33 am
@Mame,
oh wait, do you mean when I DO have gas? lol Hmm, just trying to remember. I think so. But not entirely sure.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:03 pm
Here are some videos that show how to change a propane tank on a gas grill. They each show a slight different tank connection. Not sure if any match what you have but thought the visual might help you with yours.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-connect-propane-tank-gas-grill-319583/

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-change-propane-tank-3641/

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-refuel-gas-grill-285376/
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 04:07 pm
Here's one more that I found on youtube:

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2010 05:40 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
@farmerman,

no, and no gas sound, either. nada.
You muast turn the gas on after you hook up the tank.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 08:47 am
Hey all... the drillers have arrived. Let's see, they got here Wednesday and yesterday they began drilling. Not bad. But they got here in a truck and a car (belonging to one of the helpers) because their other truck died on the way here. Last night the night drillers went out and were due back around 7:00 for breakfast. At 8:00 they finally showed up - their truck died and they had to walk 3 km to camp - and this after a gruelling 12 hour shift that didn't go well. It was impossible to understand more than that, but I'm sure I'll hear what went wrong tonight.

We had grilled cod last night that apparently was fabulous. Alex had thirds. I don't eat in camp so I don't know how it tasted. It was just lemon juice, butter, salt and pepper mixed up and slathered on, sprinkled with paprika, then wrapped in foil and grilled for 8 minutes or so. Pretty basic.

Tonight we're having grilled jerk chicken (already marinating), garlic mashed potatoes with leftover peas and corn (already cooked, just have to steam to rewarm), baked cauliflower in a mushroom soup and cheddar cheese sauce (already made), and grilled cabbage with bacon and onions (already prepared). Plus a salad.

If it weren't for all the nasty bugs, this place would be idyllic. Everyone's getting along like a house on fire - wonderful.

What's up with you guys? Whatcha been cooking? Gone anywhere? Talk to me, I'm all alone here Smile Say anything. Well, okay, not philosophy stuff. Nope.
JPB

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 09:16 am
@Mame,
sounds yummy. I just bought a big cabbage to grill too. I use bbq sauce with my bacon and onions.

gonna make a ceviche today too.

sweet corn is just coming in. I bought 6 ears for $2.50 (holy hell!), so it better be good.

no local tomatoes or cucumbers yet. That's when I know it's really summer.

How's your weather? Do you trade off warmth for bugs? Or does it just get buggy and hot vs buggy and warm?
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 09:17 am
@Mame,
This seems to be the camp from hell, eh? Nothing works, even the trucks break
down. I have to admire the guys though who work 12 hours and walk 3 km in
addition - I'd have killed someone along the way.

Mame, you said you don't eat what you cook for them, what are you eating then?

As for us, we spent 2 weeks in Germany with family and friends and I got sick
on my way back, so I am a bit behind on everything. I thought you were finished
with the camp from hell already. I hope they pay you well for all the trouble
you've had already. How long are you still staying there?
Reyn

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 11:24 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
I am not a happy camper today

Can campers ever really be happy? Perhaps it's the nature of camping of itself.
Mame

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 12:37 pm
@JPB,
JPB: I saw a recipe for that! Is it really better? Because I'm willing to do it on your say-so Smile I parboiled the cabbages for 20 minutes (okay, 15) and then removed the core, quartered them almost through, filled them and then double-foiled them. What do you do?

The weather is really weird. It was 32 - 35 (nineties) for four days, then it thunderstormed and rained for 24 hours, now it's back to being hot. No matter what, it's warm, humid, and sticky.

We had peaches and cream corn on the cob yesterday Smile Not grilled though. Not enough room on the bbq or time.
Mame

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 12:39 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yes, those poor buggers were troupers, or is it troopers?

I just nibble here and there. No appetite when you cook all the time.

We came back july 5 and are staying the entire month. Then a week off, and could be back for another week or two, or not. Depends on money.

It's not really the camp from hell... it's actually pretty reasonable NOW.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 12:40 pm
@Reyn,
Why would they camp, then? I wonder where that phrase originated.
roger

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 12:44 pm
@Mame,
It came from all the camping and backpacking magazines out there. It's a classic (cliche) photo of everybody standing around wearing packs, carrying sticks, and sporting big, happy, idiotic smiles. Till they repack the camera.
0 Replies