Abandoned Property

gollum

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 07:36 pm
I was a patient at a rehabilitation facility. The facility arranged for me to be taken home by ambulance together with the rehabilitation facility's wheelchair.

I have called the rehabilitation facility many times to request that it pick up the wheelchair and take it back to the rehabilitation facility. It has now been three months that I am holding the rehabilitation facility's wheelchair.

May I give the wheelchair to anyone I can find who can use it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,202 • Replies: 4
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 08:14 pm
@gollum,
What did the rehab facility tell you when you requested they pick it up? Could they have come to get it when you were not home? I don't know how long it takes for "theirs" to become "yours".
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 08:29 pm
@gollum,
Call them up again. Ask to speak to the facility administrator's office. Relay the history of the requests. Tell them you are giving them until (a reasonable date in the near future) to retrieve the chair. After that, you will not be responsible for their property and will give it to a charity/person that can use it.

If you wanted to, you could do that by mail so you have a record of your notification should they attempt to recover money from you.

Speaking of money, you might check the bill you received or that was sent to your insurance company. Chances are that you or the insurance company were charged for the chair and the chair is, in fact, already yours.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 08:57 pm
Butterfly is correct, but the whole transaction needs to be done in writing sent return receipt requested. You have to exercise proper care of the facility's property for as long as you keep possession.

If you don't get a reply from your letter, call the local TV stations. It might be worth doing a "your tax dollars at work" story on the facilities inability to keep track of their equipment.

Good Luck
Joe(Hope you are full recovered)Nation
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 10:34 pm
@gollum,
Did all your insurance get billed for the ambulance ride? Did it include a bill for the wheelchair. It may be that you own it by virtue of it having been paid for by your insurance. EVER try giving back a set of crutches?
0 Replies