Baby's delivered to order

chai2

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 09:32 pm
My next door neighbor is a week away from her due date. Meaning, from my experience of knowing my fair share of pregnant woman, that the baby can start to come now, tomorrow, the due date, a week after the due date. Any old time that little critter decides to make his/her debut in other words.

Her pregnancy has been trouble free, she looks and feels great, there's absolutely nothing wrong.

Except that....she expects to have this baby EXACTLY on the due date, and I just heard from my husband that she said if the baby is not born then, she's going to have her labor induced. In her words to him "I'm tired of being pregnant."

I said to Wally "Come on, she must kidding. No doctor will induce labor in a perfectly healthy woman, with a perfectly healthy baby, just because she's gone past her due date by one day. Getting your labor induced is very hard on a woman. Your body hasn't had time to prepare or adjust to labor, and I'm sure it's hard on the baby too."

He said "Nope, she says it's all been arranged"

hmmm....I'm thinking her idea of "having it all arranged" means "this is what I want, so this is how it's going to be"

She's a nice enough person, but has had the unfortunate experience life of of always having things go her way.
I've been looking forward to this baby being born, and him being one stubborn little cuss.

Mothers out there...Would a doctor induce labor in a totally normal pregnancy, if the baby is one day past due date? That does not seem like something that would happen.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 3,111 • Replies: 30
No top replies

engineer

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 09:37 pm
@chai2,
My wife tends to cook them big but doesn't go into labor on her own well. For the the last child, the doctor just made an appointment to have her induced a couple of days after her due date on a Monday so everyone would be fresh. The "concern" was that the child would be 10+ lbs if a week late and that's a lot of baby, but it seems like scheduling a delivery date that works for everyone is pretty common now days. I knew a guy in the Navy who was scheduled to go to sea and the wife had the doctor induce a couple of days early so he would be in town.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 10:33 pm
Quote:
Would a doctor induce labor in a totally normal pregnancy, if the baby is one day past due date?

Happens all the time. reasons given by doctors are as varied as I'm going on holiday to I dont function as well at 3.00 am.
Labours are "sceduled" to allow for bed and ward planning as well.
Mame

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 11:31 pm
Well, my experience is that NO, they will NOT induce just to keep mom happy. My daughter was late with all three children - after 10 days for the first two, they induced. My friend was also late about 10 or 11 days before they induced. They like things to happen naturally, and 9 months (or 40 weeks) gestation is approximate, anyway.

Good luck to her! (evil laugh) I hope this brings her down to earth.
chai2

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 07:50 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

Quote:
Would a doctor induce labor in a totally normal pregnancy, if the baby is one day past due date?

Happens all the time. reasons given by doctors are as varied as I'm going on holiday to I dont function as well at 3.00 am.
Labours are "sceduled" to allow for bed and ward planning as well.

Why is a 9 month pregnant woman planning on going on vacation knowing the baby will be born at that time? Is she planning on bringing this newborn with her on her vacation?

I don't function well at 3:00am?
Yes, of course the mother will never experience being up at 3:00am because of this child over the course of the next couple of decades (and beyond)

Scheduling bed availability? So what happens when the hospital/doctor schedules an inducement for a certain date/time, and suddenly, all these pesky women who didn't have the forethought to start the process when they body/baby was saying "not yet" decide to actually go into true labor.
Man, these women just muck up the entire works.

Doctors vary of course on what they will do and not do, but my hope would be they would just give a look of astonishment to women like the 1st 2 examples.
chai2

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 08:01 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Well, my experience is that NO, they will NOT induce just to keep mom happy. My daughter was late with all three children - after 10 days for the first two, they induced. My friend was also late about 10 or 11 days before they induced. They like things to happen naturally, and 9 months (or 40 weeks) gestation is approximate, anyway.

Good luck to her! (evil laugh) I hope this brings her down to earth.

Honestly?
Knowing this woman, her living right next to me, I just see this as a very sad start for her baby.

I mean, she won't even let the baby be born when s/he wants to. She's also, from previous conversations I've had with her, made the announcement that the house won't look any different after the baby comes, is a toddler, etc.

Poor kid. Even if he is a stubborn little cuss, and does what he wants anyway, that's going to be a lot of extra work on his part. Looking ahead, how will that determine his relationship with her and the world?

The father?
He has been a cog in the master plan she's put in place on how her life is going to be.

I am being totally honest when I say she really is a nice enough person. We've never had cross words, and she doesn't try to control anything outside of her immediate concern.

Being an observer of all this, the dynamics are something to see.

ah well.
mismi

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 08:24 am
@chai2,
Quote:
Mothers out there...Would a doctor induce labor in a totally normal pregnancy, if the baby is one day past due date? That does not seem like something that would happen.

Oh yeah, Dr's induce on perfectly healthy women all the time. I had a friend whose dr. was going out of town for a week. Her due date was during that week and she wanted him to deliver the baby. He induced before he left.

Other than a really hard labor (potosin causes really hard labor pains in many women) everything was fine.

I always liked the idea of my baby choosing his birthday. Although - the twins had to be taken by emergency c-section. They didn't really choose it - my dr. did, or my body did... well...it wasn't supposed to be that way.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 08:43 am
Well, from the mixed answers here I guess it depends on the doctor. Or maybe it's the differences in the countries. I just know my daughter's situation, and my doctors never would have agreed to it, either.

She may get a reality check about the state of her house, etc, when he arrives Smile My daughter told me she would let her kids scream and run around all they wanted (in other words, be kids) and she wasn't going to let other people's problems (with the noise and chaos) control what her kids did... I told her she wouldn't get much repeat company, lol - well, that is NOT the case... she can't stand the noise, either, and when they get too loud or get to bouncing around on furniture, she tells them to be quiet and quit jumping on the furniture, so... reality may intervene in the case of your neighbour.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:13 am
my labor with Jillian started off normal.
As soon as i checked into the hospital, they automatically gave me the hormone that speeds labor up.
No problems when I walked in. No health issues. Everything was normal. This was just part of their procedure. ugh

THAT hormone.. made my labor go nuts. She was lodged sideways and I had to have an emergency Csection to get her out .

Before that, my doctor did tell me that I could pick my own due date. Neutral
DrewDad

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:25 am
@shewolfnm,
I've heard a lot of labor stories, but that's the first time I've heard of someone going into labor naturally and getting induced.

I think your doctor must've been nuts.
DrewDad

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:26 am
@chai2,
Those reasons were the reasons given by doctors. The doctor is going on vacation.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:27 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
The father?
He has been a cog in the master plan she's put in place on how her life is going to be.

...says someone who's never been married to a pregnant woman.
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:33 am
@DrewDad,
its common place.
Go into labor = hooked up to IV.

Guess whats in there.. Petocin.

(edited for spelling)
DrewDad

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:35 am
@shewolfnm,
No, the first IV is just a standard glucose drip. They have to add a separate bag that has the pitocin.

(We went through this three weeks ago, so my memory is pretty clear on this point.)
DrewDad

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:38 am
@shewolfnm,
Reading up, pitocin can be used to "improve" uterine contractions. This is still the first time I've heard of it being used that way (and trust me, I've heard lots of labor stories).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:45 am
@DrewDad,
This pretty much happened to me....

Kid was due on a Wednesday. That day came and went. Another Wednesday came and went, still no baby. After that, an appt. was made for induction two weeks after the due date -- if labor hadn't started by then, it would be induced.

The Sunday before the scheduled induction, I went into labor. This dragged on. And on. And on. I think Tuesday night, they went ahead and gave me Pitocin. Which pissed me off 'cause I really didn't want it. (I was sleeping, with an IV already, and a nurse came in to add something to the IV... I woke up and was like wait wait what's that and she was all reassuring, don't worry, it'll help, and I was like yes but what IS it, they didn't want to tell me and I kept getting more pissed, eventually it developed that it was Pitocin, I demanded to know why, was eventually convinced. But really pissed me off that they just tried to sneak it in. Grr....)

Anyway, kid was born on Wednesday as scheduled, after 56 hours of labor (sigh).
sozobe

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:45 am
@DrewDad,
Right.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:50 am
@sozobe,
OK. That's different from being hooked up to pitocin as soon as you arrive at the hospital, though, which is the part the surprised me.

I think if Yaya's delivery had gone like the Whump's, we probably wouldn't have had any more kids.

56 hours? Yikes!
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:54 am
i dont care what your memory says because I am not telling you that it is wrong Smile

What I am saying is it happens more often then most people think. In Soz's example, which is SO common it isnt even funny, we have no choice in the matter. It is given fairly regularly and often at what would/ could be considered higher doses.

Our bodies can give birth naturally. We dont always need something to " make contractions better" ..

And hell yeah my doctor was nuts. He was removed from that hospital about 2 years later.
I told him , specifically, I didnt want petocin . He looked me in the face and said then I can get another doctor.
His nurse said that he will never work with someone who objects to "modern medicine"
He walked away and I didnt see him again for 17 hours. He had given petocin and my labor went nuts.

He was extreme.
But to say that it doesnt happen, or is uncommon is just not true.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:55 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

OK. That's different from being hooked up to pitocin as soon as you arrive at the hospital, though, which is the part the surprised me.

I see.

Quote:
I think if Yaya's delivery had gone like the Whump's, we probably wouldn't have had any more kids.

56 hours? Yikes!

And how many more kids did I have? Exactly. (Ow.)