A2K time zones: What's the time where you are & what are you up to?

sozobe

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 09:35 am
@jcboy,
Do you know about the "segmented sleep" idea?

Evidently it has been really common, historically, for people to sleep in two phases and then go ahead and get up and do stuff in between. Read a bit by candlelight, say.

This idea of 8 hours of continuous sleep is relatively recent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmented_sleep

First bit:

Quote:
Segmented sleep, also known as divided sleep, bimodal sleep pattern, or interrupted sleep, is a polyphasic or biphasic sleep pattern where two or more periods of sleep are punctuated by a period of wakefulness. Along with a nap (siesta) in the day, it has been argued that this is the natural pattern of human sleep.[1][2]

George

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 09:47 am
@sozobe,
Pretty much the way monastic life worked.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 09:49 am
11:50 in Westford MA. About to take a jog. I was sweltering in Central
Florida this time last week. Now I'm considering adding a layer in New
England.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 10:00 am
@George,
noon in downtown Toronto

enjoying a bowl of cauliflower soup
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 10:14 am
@sozobe,
Thanks for that Soz! Never heard that before. I’ve been like this for about 4 years now. I’ll sleep for about five hours then I have to get up, I usually take a short nap when I get home from work.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 10:40 am
@sozobe,
That's interesting (just followed the link). Maybe hamburgboy doesn't need to go to a sleep disorder clinic after all. He has to stay awake til midnight or 1 a.m. to be able to sleep til 6 a.m.

Set's also a segmented sleeper. He's often asleep by 9 or 10, then up at 2 or 3. Then he's asleep again in the afternoon for a couple of hours.
mysteryman

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 01:19 pm
its 2:15 on Tuesday afternoon, and I am off work already. I am sitting here with my wife, enjoying the nice sunny day.
Its about 62 degrees out, with no wind, and I am enjoying the fact that I actually am off before 4 in the afternoon, it almost never happens.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 01:25 pm
@mysteryman,
It's 3:25 EST and I'm frittering away this final 25 minutes which coincidentally is the last 25 minutes of today's work shift for me.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 02:51 pm
@ehBeth,
My wife also has sleep disorder; she sleeps about four hours every night - and sometimes less. I told her she should see her doctor about this problem, because lack of sleep can impact your overall health.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2012 07:04 pm
@sozobe,
I’ve known for sometime now Morgan had some type of sleep disorder. It’s 9:00 PM and he’s asleep. He’s been this way since we met, he can fall asleep at the drop of a hat, but not for long. He’ll be up before 3 and start working on his laptop.

I’ve always thought that he was a work-a-holic, he goes to sleep with work on his mind and wakes up and goes straight to work!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 01:51 am
@MMarciano,
MMarciano wrote:
I’ve known for sometime now Morgan had some type of sleep disorder. It’s 9:00 PM and he’s asleep. He’s been this way since we met, he can fall asleep at the drop of a hat, but not for long. He’ll be up before 3 and start working on his laptop.

I’ve always thought that he was a work-a-holic, he goes to sleep with work on his mind and wakes up and goes straight to work!
Maybe he gets hit in the head with some Inspiration,
while he is asleep n he wants to put it into practice ?

David
jcboy

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 06:41 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
That's true, sometimes I do get inspiration in the middle of the night.

Heck it's 8:40 PM and I'm ready for bed, told Marco to dvr the debate tonight so I can watch it tomorrow.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 03:01 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
That's true, sometimes I do get inspiration in the middle of the night.

Heck it's 8:40 PM and I'm ready for bed, told Marco to dvr the debate tonight so I can watch it tomorrow.
So I guess u record the inspiration
so that u will not forget, right?

GREAT geniuses of science & the arts
have received such creative inspriation in slumber (from the subconscious mind).
U r not the first to have gotten them, Morgan.

David
jcboy

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 06:42 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Its now 8:41 in Florida, I'm going to try and stay up late so I can sleep in. We're sipping wine and watching some TV.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 06:56 pm
@jcboy,
Dream diaries can also be enlightening;
trends, threads of recurring patterns, messages from the subconscious.
jcboy

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 07:43 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I'm still awake Smile

although I'm starting to fade again Razz
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 08:41 pm
@jcboy,
Try to have a lucid dream. (Tell your subconscious mind.)
If u do, then u will be master of your universe,
and of all within, until u awaken.

David
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 09:10 pm
11:09 p.m. in East York

just back from an amazing concert of Neapolitan music - a total wow - so exciting to experience Tafelmusik collaborating with groups like the Vesuvius ensemble - it is great to be in a room with extraordinary musicians when things are working perfectly

decompressing and hoping the girl dog won't fart too much as she's fallen asleep right beside my chair
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 09:23 pm
@sozobe,
just read your post .

the BBC Magazine has an article that you may find interesting :

" the myth of the 8 hour sleep "

here is the link :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 09:42 pm
@hamburgboy,
I just emailed the link to my wife who sleeps about four hours every night - if she's lucky. Thanks for sharing it.
0 Replies