sad films

TTH

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 09:32 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
You gotta put Hachiko, A Dog's Story on the list. I didn't simply cry through most of, I sobbed LOL.
Oh no!!! My sister who is going through cancer and is a dog lover wants to see that movie. I saw it at the store and bought it for us to watch. We haven't watched it yet and I don't want to make her cry.
Irishk

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 11:15 am
@TTH,
You might want to watch it first before deciding if it will affect your sister. It has a bit of sadness, but much of my emotion came from the touching loyalty that is at the heart of the movie.

The American Cancer Society has a good page on humor as a therapy for some cancer patients. They admit there's no actual scientific evidence behind it, but do feel it has positive benefits in a patient's overall wellbeing.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_5_3X_Humor_Therapy.asp
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 11:16 am
@Irishk,
Just remember I have a very odd sense of humor.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 11:56 am
On the Beach
The Blue Veil
Philadelphia
Splendor in the Grass
Elegy
Love Story

When I was a kid, there used to be what were called "Four Handkerchief movies". (The Blue Veil was one of them). Many people were not happy (especially women) unless they left the theatre crying their eyes out.
Linkat

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 12:20 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Brian's Song - I would say that was the first "sad" movie I ever saw.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 02:24 pm
@Irishk,
Was there a subtitles feature? I always use the subtitle feature even with english movies for these actors mumble thru their lines and you can't always follow their conversation. Sad
Irishk

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:57 pm
@talk72000,
Yes, as I recall there was a 'Subtitles' feature on the main menu, but it didn't work. The only thing that was available in the form of audio was the director's commentary, which would only be interesting if you'd been able to watch the film with sound (or subtitles) to start with LOL.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 05:00 pm
Ponette

It's a French film about a four year old girl coming to terms with the loss of her mother.

I bought the film, but can't stand to see it again.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 05:02 pm
Antwon Fisher. You couldn't put a gun to my head and make me watch that one again. Too damn sad.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 05:06 pm
@TTH,
I have my blue moments, cancer surgeries, eye surgeries up the kazoo, but crying about dog moments.. I might take as somehow restorative - but that's me. I remember wanting to see it, and will put it on my netflix list.
spendius

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 05:10 pm
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 05:15 pm
@spendius,
shoah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoah_(film)
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 05:22 pm
@ossobuco,
I'll be forward and recommend one of my favorite books in my last few years of reading - Primo Levi's The Reawakening. Not the book he is known for, but it mattered to me.

There's no movie of it, but it could work well as a movie.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 05:51 pm
"Brazil" comes to mind as it jerks you from thinking it's a comedy into a tradedy.

Then there's Shakespeare--Romeo and Juliet, Othello--any tragedy.

And the senceless war movies--Johnney got his Gun, Red Badge of Courage, Gallipoli, Paths of Glory, Glory and so on.

But I'm really surprised no one mentioned "Old Yeller" My gawd the dog dies.

As for me I was 7 when I saw "Old Yeller"--it was a life changing experience.
 http://www.aasd.k12.wi.us/staff/boldtkatherine/images/oldyeller.jpg

Rap

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 06:17 pm
@raprap,
Makes me want to put Trumbo's Johnny got his gun on my list. I've never seen it, but read about it.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 09:23 pm
@Irishk,
I think it was partly in Hindi so you might not have missed much especially with the guy. There was a big 50-70's Bollywood star in it. Waheeda Rehman who was 70-years-old in the movie. I almost didn't recognise her.

http://able2know.org/topic/132813-12#post-3983025
She appears in this Bollywood song
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 11:25 pm
Thank you both irishk & ossobuco for your input. I will give it some thought before I make a decision on whether to show it to her or not. I appreciate your advice.
firefly

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 08:34 pm
@TTH,
I watched Schindler's List last night on TCM, I think that was the first time I've re-watched it since it first came out. I can't remember the last time I sobbed so much or went through so much kleenex watching a movie. But the subject matter is so overwhelming, and the film is so beautifully done, it's really in a class by itself.

The first movie that I ever saw that really made me cry was Bambi.

I generally enjoy a good "four hanky" movie.

Terms of Endearment
Elvira Madigan (a Swedish film)
Penny Serenade (Cary Grant and Irene Dunne)
Steel Magnolias
Beaches
Ghost

trying2learn

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 11:14 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Schindler's List
Bambi
Terms of Endearment
Steel Magnolias
Beaches
Ghost
I have watched all these and thought they were sad too. I can't think of one movie that has made me cry though.
btw I was TTH
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 02:10 am
@ossobuco,
Irishk wrote:
It has a bit of sadness, but much of my emotion came from the touching loyalty that is at the heart of the movie.
My sister and I watched Hachiko together. She cried and I handed her tissues and I smiled. Like Irishk wrote, my emotion came from the "touching loyalty". The movie is sad but in a good way.
I truly believe it was good for my sister to cry just to relieve some of the stress she has gone through.