Who's your favorite philosopher?

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 10:02 pm
Rae, What great wisdoms have you learned from your dad? Laughing c.i.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 10:22 pm
and so it goes
It is a tie between Aristotle and Socrates - who will come out on top????
Oops , that usually would be in the topic about sex
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 12:08 pm
Voltaire made a great impact on me when I first read him back in the 1950's. Though others, Plato and Camus in particular, have influenced me since, Voltaire remains on my very short list. Kant, Schopenhaur, Nietche, et. al., began the move toward philosophy owned by and for philosophy professors. Max Nordau's book on morals and ethics isn't well-known, but is very interesting and useful when thinking about where our values originate.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 03:10 pm
"A good philosopher is one who does not take ideas seriously." --Edward Abbey
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 03:15 pm
the combination of Socrates-Plato-Aristotle did more to destroy critical thinking than the Dark Ages of Civilization.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 03:19 pm
Persig didn't like them either - hope I spelled that one right. Anyway, the writer of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 03:26 pm
Anyone mention Confucius?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 04:37 pm
Click. Or Clack. It's so hard to choose...
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 04:40 pm
Groucho Marx
http://www.therightside.demon.co.uk/quotes/groucho/groucho.jpg
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 08:08 pm
The unlived life is not worth examining.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 09:23 pm
BillW, I've always admired Graucho for his quick wit, his "clean" jokes, and all his shows. I sure miss the guy; there's nobody that can replace him. c.i.
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 08:05 pm
We all can have our own "philosophy" growing in our own brain/mind. It doesn't work, however, if you don't erase (or delete) all the little things your mommy and daddy told you to do. And, thereafter, anything that has become obsolete. In this way we gather no moss, carry no baggage.

That's Rene Descarte.

The brain of a horse is very efficient. Horses will remember only the last thing that happened, and he/she will act according to that memory. We change this picture the horse carries in his brain by correcting his/her behavior, praising praising so the next ride out he/she doesn't act like a nitwit. In humans it's called the "child within." We may go into our minds, see ourselves seeing that unloving parents was not caused by us. Delete the memory, replace it with understanding so we don't turn others into our hateful parents, creating the vicious circle again & again.

Is this philosophy? Philosophy is everywhere, we can learn it from anything.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 10:33 pm
Tex-Star, a philosopher in the making!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 10:44 pm
My brain will never become as efficient as a horses, because this dog doesn't know how to learn new tricks at this old age. Besides, we are told that as we get older, our short term memory gets worse. c.i.
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 11:43 am
c.i., Man has discovered that you CAN teach an old dog new tricks." Surprised to hear you say that as you do seem to learn new things...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 12:17 pm
Tex, Compliment appreciated by this old man. As a matter of fact, I'm receiving all compliments with no small sense of relish. c.i.
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 06:15 pm
c.i., I'm involved in the rescue of abandoned and/or abused animals and horses. They are so eager to learn, to be loved. When someone has saved one it is so hard to let go. We resell them as pets to good homes but I never forget the eyes of any of those animals.

Something REALLY new to learn for those who don't understand what is happening (major improvement by humanity) with animals would be the book "The Man who Speaks with Horses" by Monty Roberts.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 06:24 pm
Tex-Star

Are you familiar with Onmymarc's "Power Steer" threads on abuzz? She's also here as Chadee (I think that's close). If not, you two ought to get in touch, she's an incredible doll.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 06:35 pm
Tex, You save the animals, and I'll do what I can to save the humans on this planet. Every little bit helps. c.i.
0 Replies

MellowGemini

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 01:06 am
Just a lill buzz in your ear
I really do not know what to put here because I am only human and am very imperfect. This we all know as mammals. I just want to point out that when it comes to Philosophy in general it either derives from the human brain, or religion which derives upon faith. I hate blowing up this site at times and seeming like I may preach though. At the same time look at immanuel Kant Who lived a very short life with not many friends and was isolated and wrote some very influential books on metaphysics etc.. Then there was Socrates, Plato, Marcus Aureliuous (ROMAN), and all else listed in pole.
Then we have how many versions of the bible, translations disputes upon the dead sea scrolls. Science and Faith will always tangle and arm wrestle
That has left us all for century upon century looking for answers instead of just reading between the black and white and looking in the mirror saying I love myself. Simply put not taking life for granted...
There happen to be many great writers of past and present prose, does that mean though that we should follow them and diissregard our own heart or imimagination. Very Happy
0 Replies