Who's your favorite philosopher?

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 01:58 pm
Setanta, huh?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 02:18 pm
A funny incident in college
One of the first philosophy course I took was a study about Socrates and Aristotle, and the professor asked the students to read several paragraphs during class. When it was my turn, I pronounced Socrates as "So-crates." Everybody in the room had a good laugh. Embarrassed c.i.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 09:47 pm
Setanta

Very tempting to add Clemens to the list, but then Groucho and Woody start piling up the write-in votes too ( I have a religious studies text which quotes Groucho and Woody three times each).

Re So Crates (you still blushing, ci? I did the same thing once with Jung - as in Jack) It is also my experience that folks are frequently quite unaware of the assumptions that underlie what they hold to be true. Too often I'm guilty myself. To resist looking for and acknowledging them is the silliest of ironies, because when one spots such an assumption, uninvestigated and yet relied upon, there is this immediate sense of liberation of the mind.

For me, philosophy starts with the Socratic project.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 10:00 pm
blatham, Something magical happens when we mature and reach the age of senior citizen. We are not embarrassed easily, and blush happens very rarely - if ever. Razz I don't remember in any of my recent past (recent = past thirty years) when anybody has pointed out that I have blushed! We are stoic.......brave.......and foolish (to be sure). Laughing c.i.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 10:04 pm
ci
Well, you are more mature than I. I find also that I don't blush easily now, and can't remember the last time it happened. However, there are a great number of instances from my earlier life that still pack some portion of their initial embarrassatory power, and I squirm to recall them still.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 10:14 pm
I think with so many years under our belts, our ability to weigh the importance of faux pax is balanced against our experience with many. We understand what's important and what is not. ** I think. Surprised c.i.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 10:16 pm
Yeah...you're WAY more mature than I.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 10:19 pm
blatham, All I'm sure between the two of us is you're more funny! Very Happy c.i.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 10:59 pm
ci

It hides a broken heart.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 11:25 pm
ahhh, the classic, "laughing on the outside, crying on the inside." Well, what can I say to brighten you up? c.i.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 01:19 am
"Take me. Take me now" (that might do it...shall we giveit a try?)
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 07:48 am
I think your both cunning linguists.........
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 10:58 am
Algis

In the context of Socrates, your classic pun is left somewhat adrift. Aristophanes play 'Clouds' has this one lovely bit where two elderly and wistful Athenian men stand in the empty gymnasium, quite mesmerized by the imprints left on the earthen floor by young boys bums.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 07:48 am
Well, all i have to say about Greek philosophy, i got from Groucho: Euripedes pants, Eumenides pants . . .

okbye
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:50 am
Setanta

I'm a Groucho fan, but your reference has flown over my head like duck.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 11:11 am
" . . . all i can promise you is a Rufus over your head . . . let us lodge with my fleas in the . . . i mean let us flee to my lodge in the hills . . . "
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 11:21 am
Now it's a flock.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 03:34 pm
Come on, Sgt. Preston, Rufus T. Firefly, the protagonist of Duck Soup . . .
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 03:50 pm
Ducks have landed.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 09:27 pm
Interesting
Had to vote Yogi since I have such limited knowledge on the subject. However, I did like the one class I had re phil101. Laughing Embarrassed
0 Replies