bourbon or scotch?

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 09:37 pm
personally when I want a drink of hard liquor I want bourbon, a good bourbon like Makers Mark or George Dickel which runs about $30 a bottle while it seems most people I know will prefer a scotch which a good single-malt starts a $100 a bottle.
Anyway, I never liked scotch no matter what it costs and I sometimes wonder what the appeal is for scotch. My first guess is it's some kind of image thing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 3,070 • Replies: 18
No top replies

ghostinthemachine702

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 09:41 pm
@dyslexia,
you're right. but then, wine is the worst alcoholic beverage ive tasted no matter the quality. who the **** drinks that ****?

i just recently had dickel, courtesy of some airforce fuckers.

very good.

i thought it was the only other tennesy whiskey though, didnt know it was bourbon...im no expert, ill just google it.

i like bourbon alot though. the taste is so much... i dont know..

captain morgan and coke is my favorite drink ATM.

but entirely unrelated.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 09:42 pm
I drank scotch long ago, in California. Tried to develop a taste for it. But I couldn't. Never took to bourbon, either. Turns out, I'm a wine and beer drinker. I can develop a taste for most any wine, provided it isn't too sweet.
mismi

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 09:44 pm
@dyslexia,
They both make me screw up my face and burn all the way down...end result being getting to the warm fuzzies faster than wine or beer. I can't really taste it to be honest.

If I am wanting to drink for the taste I would prefer a nice pinot noir.
dadpad

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 09:46 pm

0 Replies

ghostinthemachine702

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 09:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
ive only had 1 hangover my whole life, from wine. eff that ****.

hehe..

i love scotch and bourbon and rum especially., gin as well.

they all sort of have intense.. spectrums of flavor.

vodka sucks, i only drink it mixed or shots.

i think people like scotch because the peat smoke.. it imparts a certain.. something. image has alot to do with it im sure though.
ghostinthemachine702

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 09:48 pm
@mismi,
do you sip or gulp it? lol!

sipping is amazing.. you can feel the alcohol , but u dont get hit by it.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 09:49 pm
I always thought scotch smelled like medicine, so I only drank scotch when I was sick.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 10:01 pm
I have just recently discovered Rye....I have no idea why it dropped off the map, this stuff is much better than either bourbon or scotch.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 10:03 pm
@ghostinthemachine702,
You're supposed to drink it, not eff it. No wonder it didn't work.
ghostinthemachine702

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 10:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
oh.. but it did work, it worked indeed ;D
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 11:14 pm
@dyslexia,
I'll take Crown Royal, or something. Scotch reminds me of watered bourbon. Bourbon tastes like, well, bourbon.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 12:03 am

I 'll have Cognac or Armagnac, in whose absence, I 'll have bourbon.
I dislike the taste of Scotch.

David
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 12:07 am
@hawkeye10,
Rye is the canadian version of bourbon/whiskey. It's still big up here but it turns people crazy...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 01:47 am
bourbon.

scotch, even a great single malt, always tasted like soap to me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 12:18 pm
As you know, I like both. I drank single malt scotches when they hadn't yet become popular, so I didn't drink them for image - and their tastes vary based on geography and aging, etc. I liked the smoky ones best. Last time I bought a bottle of single malt scotch it was from Trader Joe's and was about eighteen dollars, a couple of years ago, not the best, but not bad. On bourbons, I've liked George Dickel, Knob Creek, and Maker's Mark, that I remember. I've tried Rye, and remember liking it.

I can live for years without vodka, gin, or beer. Wine, though, I do like, and, yep, wines vary in taste.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 02:35 pm
I have been working in a liquor store for more than two years and I notice that there are bourbon fans and there are scotch fans and that . . .unless they are 23 or less . . . they tend to be two separate camps.

Although in the trade both are called brown spirits and their sales volume increases in cold weather, while white spirits (gin, vodka and tequila) increase in the warmer months.

Rye is not Canadian whisky but somehow the idea of rye and Canadian whisky were wedded. Rye was the original cocktail whisky but its popularity nosedived with Prohibition. American rye whisky is making a chichi comeback among the hipsters. It must contain 51% rye . . . a grain associated both with LSD and the Salem Witch Trials.

I never drank hard liquor but, in my 40s, a new friend gave me some mulled cider to which she added some Wild Turkey. I have my favs among bourbons which include Elijah Craig and Basil Hayden. Only use Wild Turkey for cooking . . . pork, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie.

I personally prefer wine to any alcoholic beverage. If I have hard liquor, I feel gypped. There are generally too many tastes in the average cocktail. I also prefer alcoholic beverages warm. Not an ice fan.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 09:37 pm
@plainoldme,
U don 't confuse your 2 jobs with one another, right ?
Keep them separate ?

David
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2021 10:54 am
I always liked Scotch and considered it my beverage of choice. But 6 or 7 years ago I decided I wanted to get a taste for bourbon. I mentioned this to my late brother who was a true connoisseur of both distilled spirits and fine literature. "I always find that bourbon goes really well with Faulkner — bourbon and branchwater." I took his advice and spent most of that chilly winter in steamy Yoknapatawpha County and developed a taste for both.
0 Replies