Measure fuel quantity in fuel tank in vehicle

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 10:03 am
I want to measure fuel qty in my truck fuel tank accurately and out put should be in truck cabin. Pls. help me with some great feasible ideas.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 5,686 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 10:04 am
@murali007,
why not use a gauge?
0 Replies

murali007

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 02:31 am
i have idea that by measureing weight of fuel tank through load cell what is your openion
roger

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 03:34 am
@murali007,
I know of at least one military aircraft that uses an electronic system based on thermistors. This might be worth the value of the vehicle and then some. As Rockhead suggests, what's wrong with a conventional fuel gauge and float? If you need a reading in weight, you can do conversions.
farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 03:42 am
@roger,
the thermistor technique requires that the fuel tank be stirred so that any variation in mass may be accounted for.

WHy not meter in known volumes of gas, say a gallon at a time and then record the actual reading on the fuel gage(Or install an after market fuel gage that they use on ralley cars). You will(if you are totally anal about this, need to measure the fuels temperature to account for any degree of expansion.

Ill bet that, even with all this "improved accuracy", you wont record any big differences in fuel readings. The difference between 1/10 a gallon and 1/100 gallon wont have a big effect on your mileage or economy unless you go all the way and install a really accurate GPS based odometer and a more accurate speedo and tach.
0 Replies

jeffcollision

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 05:19 am
I recommend you to download this pdf and read this.
http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/MSD/docs/pdf/fuel_tank_cap.pdf
0 Replies

bileinspection

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 01:15 am
It is very important to all driver out there to know how to measure fuel quantity in fuel tank before you start driving.
bileinspection

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 01:17 am
Thanks for the nice post. It will be useful to all vehicle driver.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 02:17 am
@bileinspection,
Ah, but the question is 'how to do it'. No longer can we light a match and look down the hole. The fillers are all on the side of the vehicle instead of the top and have those crappy little holes that were designed to deny entry to the old leaded gas nozzles. We should get rid of that, if nothing else. I have not seen leaded gas sold for what sees like a decade or more.
0 Replies