Movie trailers that make you feel all gushy inside....

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2019 09:20 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

How about this one?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezguxsgIWqE[/youtube]

It's from Hellzapoppin' made in 1941, still very funny without being racist, sexist or homophobic. They could do it, and Martha Raye is superb.

It's a good clip (though not a trailer from the studio to market the film). Thanks though. Does look good. Not sure how easy it will be to catch this particular film.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2019 09:25 am
@tsarstepan,
It's on youtube, the full version.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2019 09:27 am
@tsarstepan,
I assumed Babesh was singing. I don't tend to watch American cookery shows because of the major bind with measurements and sweetness. America has a far sweeter tooth than Britain.

It's a lot easier to get a hairy bikers recipe off the net.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2019 09:32 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

It's a good clip (though not a trailer from the studio to market the film).

I took your lead from the Babesh video.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2019 09:38 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

It's a good clip (though not a trailer from the studio to market the film).

I took your lead from the Babesh video.

That was a goofy mistake on my part. I posted that cooking video elsewhere but failed to copy the related video I wanted to post here (the old url still on my computer's memory cache).
izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2019 10:08 am
@tsarstepan,
You're not the only one. I keep doing it, I usually spot it before posting though, but not always.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2019 12:20 pm
@izzythepush,
Getting back to trailers. This bizarro A24 studio (definitely redundant if you know the studio) horror

In Fabric (2018) has a whopping 94% score on Rotten Tomatoes. It looks gorgeous and the acting in the trailer is very solid (though the one woman's accent is bizarro as well). And I definitely want to see it based on the on screen charms of the lead character actor, Marianne Jean-Baptiste.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 09:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 10:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2020 05:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
I'm really looking forward to Ready Player One. Then again, I'm a big fan of the book.

Maybe you already have it preordered, but just in case you haven't heard, the novel Ready Player Two goes on sale November 24.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2020 07:53 am
@oralloy,
I read the book; it was not good, but it was a quick read. I saw the film, and I thought it was OK; it was more streamlined than the book. And I read the author's follow-up book Armada, and it was weak rehashing of Ready Player One (playing video games saves the day, numerous pop culture references).

I will probably read Ready Player Two from the library, but I'm not expecting it to be good.
oralloy

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2020 10:08 am
@Rebelofnj,
You may be the wrong generation to appreciate the books. If you are the right generation, those pop culture references are awesome.

Thanks for the tip about Armada. I'll look into it.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2020 10:28 am
@oralloy,
I understood all of the pop culture references, but the story in both books is rather shallow without them.

With Armada, it is even worse with the references as most are randomly added or don't make sense in context. At least with Ready Player One, the endless pop culture talk is more justified due to the Easter Egg hunt.
oralloy

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2020 10:41 am
@Rebelofnj,
Understanding them is one thing. Did those references give you fond memories of your childhood?
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2020 11:24 am
@oralloy,
I have seen Back To The Future many times as a child. However, I didn't care that the main character had a DeLorean as his main vehicle.

Many of the references like the DeLorean had no impact to the story. For every plot-relevant reference that makes sense (such as Mecha-Godzilla, Blade Runner, and WarGames), there are countless more that are just there for no other purpose. Like I said before, at least the Easter Egg hunt justifies these references as one of them may be a clue to the goal.

That all said, I thought the film was fine (good, even) due to the visual effects and that most of the references were regulated to a few scenes.

oralloy

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2020 11:58 am
@Rebelofnj,
Did you have an Atari and play Adventure? And complete the game so many times on hard level that you could win without effort? And try to find the secret ending to the game?

Did you ever play Dungeons and Dragons and have your party explore the module Tomb of Horrors?

Did you ever see anyone beat the game of Pac-Man, including successfully playing through the final screen that was half covered with computer code?

For men of a certain age things like that were formative childhood experiences.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2020 12:33 pm
@oralloy,
I rather not say what my formative childhood experiences in pop culture are exactly, in an effort to not date myself.

I get the wish fulfilment appeal of the book, but I honestly didn't like the book as much as you do.
oralloy

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2020 09:18 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:
I rather not say what my formative childhood experiences in pop culture are exactly, in an effort to not date myself.

Fair enough. I'm cautious about revealing too much about myself online too.

In my case I had an Atari. I played Adventure until I could beat it in my sleep.

I could never find the secret ending though. I knew about the secret room, but I didn't realize that it was a secret. To me it was just a room. It was always there when I went to its location, just like all the other rooms were always in their proper location, so there was nothing particularly secret about it. I don't know how people were supposed to figure out that they needed to pick up an invisible single pixel object in that room. I honestly never knew how to reach the secret ending until Ready Player One explained it to me.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2021 10:36 pm
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2021 12:20 am

Han's alive!!