What is your fundamental moral compass?

plainoldme

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 06:12 am
Is anyone else amused by the fact that anti-Communist, anti-Nazi ranter David is a New Ager?
spendius

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 06:24 am
@Eorl,
Quote:
I'll even go further!

I'm going to recklessly suggest that wearing jade will offer you no protection from harm.

How evil is that? People are going to be harmed all over the place if I'm wrong!

The truth is the truth and i can't imagine too many moral realities in which mass delusion is the prefered option. Who was it that said "The truth shall make you free"?

You have gone nowhere Eorl. The jade example is not of the same order as the one I was discussing.

The expression " i can't imagine too many moral realities in which mass delusion is the prefered option" has left the door wide open for the one morality that matters here.

You need to answer the points I raised. Obfustication is no use.

Somebody else said --"The truth is obscure, too profound and too pure, to live it you have to explode." "The truth shall make you free" is a mere platitude.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 06:27 am
@plainoldme,
David is anything he wants to be. He's a sentimentalist actually.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:21 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Is anyone else amused by the fact that anti-Communist, anti-Nazi ranter David is a New Ager?
New Agers r not known for being either collectivist or authoritarian.

FREEDOM is implicit in the New Age concept, but
regardless of that, even if I had been alone in my observations,
yet I have had those experiences, leading me to my beliefs of
consciousness not being dependent upon the material flesh n bones.
The butterfly lives on after his inert cocoon.

It was the commies that were devoted materialists, not the libertarians.

David
Eorl

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:43 am
Additionally, if you are convinced that death is an illusion, then your ethical response to life & death situations is compromised.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:45 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:
David, you said "rarely" and the explantion is there if you want to see it.
It's like when a "psychic" solves a crime the whole world hears about it, and the thousands who don't, don't rate.
Maybe it coud be possible that the accurate one is psychic
whereas the others were psychotic.

Eorl wrote:
Like I said though, I see no point in arguing, although I enjoy reading your post these days.
Thanx; yours r nice too.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:56 am
@Eorl,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Eorl wrote:
Stipulating that something completely lacking evidence is equal to something else
that in the past also lacked evidence is a fallacial argument, as you are fully aware.
Where is your evidence? Surely you'll concede absence of proof does not equal proof of absence, yes?
Eorl wrote:
of what? That the human ghost and radio waves are not equally existent
due to the fact that both were thought non-existent in the past?
I need no proof, it's simple faulty logic.
If I understand u accurately,
your logic is that u have knowledge of facts
and that if u have no evidence of a given fact,
then, by virtue of your paucity of information & skepticism,
that fact cannot exist and it must be false.

If that is not what u mean,
then please clarify.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 07:59 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:
Additionally, if you are convinced that death is an illusion,
then your ethical response to life & death situations is compromised.
By what reasoning have u reached that conclusion ?
plainoldme

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 09:06 am
@spendius,
Really???!!!
plainoldme

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 09:20 am
@OmSigDAVID,
The image of a man . . . and I see you as a 70+ year old with permanently curled, prominently veined fingers at the keyboard . . . typing out his rants about guns and spelling turning around and behaving like either a 20-something co-ed in a swirling floral print skirt or the 40ish owner of a shop that sells incense and stones . . . is hysterical.

Ah, David! Have you ever read anything on government . . . on political science . . . on history?

You seem to lack a great deal of information. That's not an insult but an observation.

It is such a contradiction that you a so into this out of body stuff . . . which many people would simply say is an example is due to an extreme emotional situation and not to the actual separation of the body from the soul, spirit, actuating principle or whatever you may want to call that glue that seems to hold a body together and give it life.

And, sorry, but most if not all libertarians are solidly materialistic.

Materialism is, in and of itself, neutral. After all, materialism can be interpreted as the force that causes people to care for things and preserve them; to honor the artistic. Yeah, some would say that the spiritual and not the material is behind those impulses . . . but . . . here, both the love of the spiritual and the longing for the material can and do act in consort.

It is only when materialism overtakes all other impulses or distorts other impulses that it becomes an evil.

Communists and Democrats . . . whether their C's and D's are large or small . . . spiritual leaders . . . and more are materialists.

Gee, I just wish you would either learn something about communism . . . both large and small C . . . or pick the needle up off your record.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 10:01 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
The image of a man . . . and I see you as a 70+ year old with permanently curled, prominently veined fingers at the keyboard . . . typing out his rants about guns and spelling turning around and behaving like either a 20-something co-ed in a swirling floral print skirt or the 40ish owner of a shop that sells incense and stones . . . is hysterical.
My hands r supple n normal; thay have not changed much in over 50 years. I see no difference.

I hope that u r not impugning my masculinity (tho it woud remain unaffected anyway).

plainoldme wrote:
Ah, David! Have you ever read anything on government . . . on political science . . . on history?
I have. I suspect that u want me to read more commie propaganda.
I read enuf of that during the 3rd World War.

plainoldme wrote:
You seem to lack a great deal of information. That's not an insult but an observation.
Yeah; I suspect that there is more information that I have not acquired than that which I have.

plainoldme wrote:
It is such a contradiction that you a so into this out of body stuff . . . which many people would simply say
What many people simply say is not relevant to factual accuracy of the subject matter.
If it were, then Columbus woud have sailed off the edge of the Earth.

plainoldme wrote:
is an example is due to an extreme emotional situation
Each time that thay happened, I was in a tranquil, fairly pleasant state of mind, not much emotion.

plainoldme wrote:
and not to the actual separation of the body from the soul, spirit, actuating principle
or whatever you may want to call that glue that seems to hold a body together and give it life.
Again, what people say has no effect upon factual accuracy.
There was a Congressman during the Abraham Lincoln Administration,
who proposed saving money by abolishing the US Patent Office,
on the grounds that it was obvious that everything
of any importance had already been invented.

plainoldme wrote:
And, sorry, but most if not all libertarians are solidly materialistic.
That 's probably true; we don't ofen agree.

plainoldme wrote:
Materialism is, in and of itself, neutral.
It is.

plainoldme wrote:
After all, materialism can be interpreted as the force that causes people to care for things and preserve them;
I 'm a big supporter of laissez faire capitalism.

I feel mildly uncomfortable in the presence of people who r not.

plainoldme wrote:
to honor the artistic. Yeah, some would say that the spiritual and not the material is behind those impulses
. . . but . . . here, both the love of the spiritual and the longing for the material can and do act in consort.

It is only when materialism overtakes all other impulses or distorts other impulses that it becomes an evil.
OK; tentatively.

spendius

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 10:50 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Really???!!!

Yeah--really. Dig this--

Quote:

You can't get much more sentimentalist than that. You need to go on the "moral compass" thread to find anything getting close.

I bet he's a big supporter of those extreme left-wing policies liberty, equality and fraternity as well.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 10:54 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Third World War? Are you now claiming to be a time traveller?
plainoldme

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 10:55 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Non sequitur:

plainoldme wrote:
After all, materialism can be interpreted as the force that causes people to care for things and preserve them;

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 10:56 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Third World War? Are you now claiming to be a time traveller?
We r all time travellers.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 10:57 am
@plainoldme,
Hmmm . . . that did not copy correctly. I certainly did not write that I am a supporter of laissez faire capitalism! David wrote that and the next line.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 10:58 am
@spendius,
Laissez-faire capitalism in not sentimental.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 10:59 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Non sequitur:

plainoldme wrote:

I feel mildly uncomfortable in the presence of people who r not materialists;
i.e., folks who don 't value money.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 10:59 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Bah dah dah ching!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 11:03 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Laissez-faire capitalism in not sentimental.
I LOVE laissez faire capitalism.

David
0 Replies