Helping Americans understand just how rich we are

Amigo

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 08:01 pm
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

Amigo... we already do every year and spinach, broccoli, potato, lettuce, sweet corn, beans... I've grown it and eaten it.

Ok, nevermind then. That screws my whole plan up.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 08:21 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
So, if I understand right, that currency - American dollars - is likely bought by South American banks. Who then turn around and invest that money in America, or trade it to someone else who eventually does the same.

... or someone who buys a Dell Computer. Or buys an American Caterpillar. Or downloads an app from iTunes, programmed by an American wizard. Or buys a plane from Boeing. Or buys chemical fertilizer from some Illinois biotech company. Or whatever. You seem to underestimate grossly how much money South Americans are spending on American stuff, as opposed to American financial assets.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
If the $1500 worth of pay goes to people here, it gets spread about on a local scale. If it goes to a bank who then re-invests it here, it goes somewhere - but it's hard to say where, or to say how it directly helps the local economy in the same fashion.

That's not true. The bank will spend it on any project in America that's profitable, given the interest rate. And by doing so, it will inevitably end up paying American people. For example, it might invest it into building your and your wife's house, which pays American construction workers. Or it may invest into a new Intel chip factory, which pays other kinds of construction workers. Or it might invest into a Silicon Valley startup, paying American computer programmers. The Americans who work on those projects -- construct your house, build Intel's factory, program the startup's software, etc. -- are as real as the American factory workers who build your car.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
On a smaller scale. If there is a producer of finely carved trunks who works in my hometown, and one who works abroad, how is it not more advantageous to me to purchase locally, in terms of the dollars spent being recycled into my local economy?

Because the same argument that applies to international trade also applies to domestic trade within America. The rest of the world spends some of its money in your local economy. Under protectionism, your local businesses have more money to the extent that local customers spend their money on them, less money to the extent that the rest of the world spends less money on them. In the end it balances out.
JTT

Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 08:57 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Let the record indicate that I deny being "filthy".

Quote:
U r absolutely right, Bill. In some of my travels overseas, if I dropped a dollar, it woud never hit the floor. Thay lunge for it.

Funny, I believe that your previous posting was yet another strong indication that you are indeed filthy. Some other adjectives come to mind but I'm sure that you get the general drift, Dave.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 12:23 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
The bank will spend it on any project in America that's profitable, given the interest rate. And by doing so, it will inevitably end up paying American people. For example, it might invest it into building your and your wife's house, which pays American construction workers. Or it may invest into a new Intel chip factory, which pays other kinds of construction workers. Or it might invest into a Silicon Valley startup, paying American computer programmers. The Americans who work on those projects -- construct your house, build Intel's factory, program the startup's software, etc. -- are as real as the American factory workers who build your car.
If this is saying US money stays in the US, it is not true. US banks are busy buying the world and they had so much money left over they went for bad risk mortgages.

Someone else has mentioned a level playing field. This is impossible. The French love to have their own farms and this increases the cost of food in France. Other countries have nationalised, banks, oil companies, railroads, grain growers, not-to-grow-grain growers and so on. Without the same tax and business laws in every country we will never even see a start on a level playing field.

Eco-nuts also play a big role. They dont want the third world to develop, they want it to stay pristine. When we move everybody into high rises and reforest Europe then we can tell poor countries what to do with their forests.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 02:41 am
George wrote:
OK. Shall I also infer that the French, Germans, British, Swiss, Swedes, Italians, Spanish, etc. or you, Francis, "don't have the slightest clue about what poor really means." either?

You shall, indeed, George. Except for the part relating to me.

Even though I've never suffered myself from poverty, my extensive travels made me aware of dire poverty.

My living nine months in Rio de Janeiro and some subsequent visits to the favelas there, for example, were a good wake up to understanding what real poverty is.

The same I experienced in Africa.

Nothing to be compared with poverty in the United States..

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 02:56 am

I went to India in 1984.

David
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 04:26 am
Ionus wrote:
When we move everybody into high rises and reforest Europe...

The trend is reversed now in Europe and the part of France's territory occupied by forests is bigger now than it was in the middle ages.
laughoutlood

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 04:54 am
@Francis,
Quote:
part of France's territory occupied by forests is bigger now than it was in the middle ages

i'd check the trunks

write to politicians if you want action on democracy
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 12:13 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
No one here has addressed at all the question of why some nations are poor and others not. Implicit in much of the commentary is the unstated notion that wealth or plenty in this nation - or any other advanced nation, from Germany to Singapore - must necessarily be based on the forced poverty of others.

That's not a fact, just your interpretation of what we said. My own interpretation would focus on wasted opportunities, not forced poverty.

Take free trade, for example. Our protectionist policies against the Third World waste opportunities to support productive people there. Without those policies, these people might jump-start economic engines that lift their nations out of poverty. After all, export-driven growth has played a crucial role in all economies that did pull this off over the last 100 years. The only cost to us of this opportunity is political: Although free trade benefits us overall, it also redistributes income from import-competing producers to import consumers. That's a manageable problem, dwarfed by the good free trade policies would do. Hence, in my opinion, anything less than free trade with the Third World is an irresponsibly wasted opportunity to do the right thing.

Here's another kind of wasted opportunity. You can currently save human lives at a few hundred bucks apiece -- just by digging wells in Third-World villages, securing clean drinking water for the people there. Basic vaccinations are similarly efficient. Granted, you may think that's a naive calculation because 90 percent of your money gets wasted in Third-World corruption and fraud. And you would be right. But even so, we're still talking about saving human lives at a couple thousand bucks each. It's a bad thing to have this opportunity and waste it -- whether our wealth is justly earned or not.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 12:28 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:
No one here has addressed at all the question of why some nations are poor and others not. Implicit in much of the commentary is the unstated notion that wealth or plenty in this nation - or any other advanced nation, from Germany to Singapore - must necessarily be based on the forced poverty of others.

That's not a fact, just your interpretation of what we said. Another plausible interpretation might focus on wasted opportunities, not forced poverty.

Take free trade, for example. Our protectionist policies against the Third World waste opportunities to support productive people there. Without those policies, these people might jump-start economic engines that lift their nations out of poverty.

I believe that a review of the previous pages would convince an objective observer that the judgements and assumptions implicit in them are much closer to my interpretation than yours, though there are arguably elements of both in them.

On the issue of free trade the fact is that few developed countries equal the United States in advancing and supporting free trade. We certainly do retain well known agricultural protections and subsidies, that are both unnecessary for our own wealth and harmful to third world countries. However, ours are puny compared to those of the EU, Japan and other rich countries where the barriers to free trade are far higher and even more punishing to third world suppliers. Indeed our balance of trade marks us as the worlds chief buyer of products from other, poorer, countries. Your commentary above would have rung more true had you acknowledged this and our initiatives for free trade, such as NAFTA.
Thomas

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 12:45 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
On the issue of free trade the fact is that few developed countries equal the United States in advancing and supporting free trade.

That's true. Measured in openness to Third-World imports, the USA is among the less cheap of First-World misers. Indeed I think I acknowledged this in one of my earlier posts.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 03:11 pm
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
Then you'll kindly keep your keyboard off of my life in the future. Your comments were far out of bounds.

Get over yourself. You brought up your experience in this thread about real misery and if you don't like being told that is laughable then don't bring it up. Don't act like I made a private intrusion in your life just because your debate is all over the place and you decided to bring it up.

P.S. you also tried to make it about me with your questions about my life, so it's particularly silly to try to act like I intruded on yours.

Quote:
You've no qualification to speak on what I understand and what I am able to contribute here.

I don't need any "qualification" to disagree with you and to opine that you lack understanding of a matter. Get over yourself.

Quote:
You're no more impassioned about this topic than anyone else.

I made no such claim and stop speaking for all, you are trying to get everyone else included in your umbrella of nonsense.

Quote:
Just because I or anyone else do not express themselves in the way you choose to, is no reason to dismiss with such an authoritarian zeal.

Authoritarian? You are the one telling me what I can and can't post about and what I'm "qualified" to post about. I am the one telling you to say what you want but that if I think it's daft I will say so.

Stop being such a damn sissy. I think what you said makes precious little sense, get over it. I don't have to agree with you about everything.

Quote:
I agree with you about not handicapping 3rd world nations with tariffs and leveling the playing field. This seems to me fair, and sensible. Why not keep the topic here?

The topic is bigger than that. The topic is the insular American perspective. Those are noble goals and all but I'm ranting about your insular perspective.

Quote:
You introduced this topic by demonstrating the overproduction of aircraft carriers and relating their value to what potential good that money could do in a humanitarian sense globally. Why not keep the topic here?

Maybe I have different goals for my topic than you do. And for someone calling me an authoritarian you sure have a lot of rules for my topic.

Quote:
Speaking to the title of the thread, what about my (and other Americans) wealth, do you think I don't understand?

I don't think you begin to have perspective on real misery. You kept bringing up examples like Poland, your life and poor people in America as a response to it and that shows how little you begin to understand it.

Quote:
How does someone convince you that they do understand their wealth?

I have no idea, I can live with failing to convince you and you should probably aspire to more than convincing me of this. We don't have to be on the same page. If everyone were we wouldn't need so many pages.

Quote:
What actions should I as a consumer do to improve my global impact?

For one, you can avoid self-interested and patriotic measures such as "buy American".

**** that, buy Indian, buy Chinese. Help lift billions of people out of poverty. Contribute towards developing economies where you can.

But I should note that I'm not that concerned with people going out of their way to help developing nations so much as not going out of their way to make it more difficult.

Quote:
What actions should I take as a citizen to advocate the enabling of developing nations?

Reject protectionism with developing nations (I don't care if we are protectionist with developed nations except as a matter of economic policy but with developed nations I see an additional moral component). This is a big umbrella that covers a lot of things we do to throw our weight around to make it more difficult for others to compete with us in the global economy.

Quote:
These questions are harder than making angry bold print posts, and in my opinion (an opinion you've declared not to value), are much more important.

Can we move on?

We? You can do what you want. How about that? We don't have to agree, we don't have to do the same things and we don't need each other's permission to post about what we want. Have your say, I'll have mine. We don't need to have the same say.

Consensus is overrated. Disagreement produces more knowledge. I have no qualm with you, I have a qualm with your perspective. That doesn't have to be the end of the world.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 03:16 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Wouldn't be an authentic A2K Moralizing(tm) thread, without you stopping by, Bill. Nice to see ya.
Nice to see you too.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
I'll ask you the same question I asked RG: is there any nation on Earth whose behavior in this area is materially different then ours?
I believe Robert adequately addressed this question as completely irrelevant. If surrounded by wife-beaters, you wouldn't attempt to use this knowledge to justify beating your wife. As you noted earlier; we are currently "top dog", which means as a nation we should play the role of the Sheppard, not that of the sheep. The tremendous economic might of the United States uniquely positions us as the one and only nation who could single-handedly wipe out the worst of poverty, without even putting a serious dent in our military spending. Awesome power comes with awesome responsibility... or should. Further, I firmly believe such a massive commitment toward helping our fellow man would reduce the need for military spending by more than the cost, as you'd be harder pressed to convince anyone that the country who's taken it upon itself to provide basic sustenance to everyone, is full of demonic baby-eaters. (Ask Bin Ladin what he thinks of protectionist policies.)

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 03:20 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
1, our status as 'top dog' is only temporal. We are not inherently better than other countries and we will not REMAIN top dog. My point wasn't to show that we are better, or superior or something, but to say that we are being looked at to solve the problems because we happen to be on top of the heap right now - and for that reason only. You could have addressed your comments to any country on the planet and they would have been equally valid, in terms of their foreign and economic policies.

Nonsense. No other country is able to throw their economic weight around like we do. No other country is as aggressive about negotiating favorable trade agreements for themselves.

And no other country is spending so much money to wage so much war around the world to reshape our geopolitical (often financial) interests. You are right that others are not saints, but that doesn't mean we can't stop being the world's bully.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Quote:
2, it's not chest thumping. It is a realistic way of viewing the world. I don't think you properly assessed my comment or it's place in our discussion.

It came with more than that, it came with your proclamation that you don't "give a ****" about the rest of the world and you put Americans first. I find that to be ugly Americanism myself.

Later you decried that I used the term "ugly Americanism" but yours is just that, you are American and if you were French it would be "ugly Frenchism" or something.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 03:31 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
1. Americans are fortunate indeed. We inhabit a country with ample natural resources and have fewer adverse historical burdens toi bear than some other nations. However, that alone certainly does not explain our relative wealth. There are far less economically successful nations with the same gifts of fortune.

There are many reasons indeed, some dispositional some situational. But the complexity of the causes says nothing about whether Americans (and other first-worlders) can give the poor of the world a better shake.

Quote:
2. You have not made the case at all that America is more niggardly than other rich nations.

So? If I fail to convince someone that they beat their wife the hardest does it indict the notion that not beating your wife is a generally good thing?

What others do or do not do does not make what is right or not right.

Quote:
Many of us don't agree with you on this score. Certainly through the fall of the Soviet Union, now 20 years ago there was a clear need for it, and our military itself beneffitted other nations otherwise in peril.

I completely disagree with this. It was a self-fulfilling need through a stupid arms race partly motivated by absolutely idiotic paranoia about communism.

I don't buy the heroic American narrative about the cold war, I share most of the rest of the world's perspective of two idiots holding the world hostage and finally coming to sanity.

Quote:
Throughout our history America has advocated free trade and economic policies that promise economic benefits to poor nations that have the will to produce and export.

We typically do that when we are more competitive than the other country in the industries that will benefit the most, and then engage in protectionism with industries that they are strong in. An example of this is how a trade agreement can get our key industries in someone else's country but if their developing nation is still very agricultural they'll run into our farm subsidies.

And whenever we want, when it's politically expedient, we'll just slap a tariff on. Bush did it for his election, and Obama is no different there.

Quote:
3. You have not addressed two key questions. First what is the cause of poverty?

The causes of poverty are complex, but there is no need to fully explain away poverty to point out that this insular American perspective is ugly. Nor is there any need to explain it to advocate actions that can help reduce it.

Unless where you were going with that is to argue that letting others compete on a more level playing field (without such protectionism) would not benefit them economically this question does not need to be answered.

Quote:
Second, will giving by richer nations alleviate it significantly,. or is something else required? Until you do this, I think you are merely making a lot of wind.

If by "a lot of wind" you are saying that I am not going to solve world poverty by starting a forum topic on the internet I agree with you, but would say you put the doorknob pretty high.

I did not say that I want nations to give to poor nations, so why are you asking me to prove that this will solve poverty?

I am saying firstly that Americans are generally disgustingly insular about their wealth. Secondly I am saying that one example of how I think we could treat others as we would wish to be treated is to engage in less trade protectionism with developing countries.

Do you dispute that we are fortunate enough to not need the trade protectionism or that the reduction in such protectionism would benefit poorer people than us?

If not, that was just a lot of "hot air" yourself.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 03:35 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I'll ask you the same question I asked RG: is there any nation on Earth whose behavior in this area is materially different then ours?

1) Yes (I already answered this elsewhere).

2) Does what other people do determine what is the best thing to do?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 03:44 pm
@kuvasz,
kuvasz wrote:
Are not morally equivalent statements. I think that you ought to come down from your sanctimonious high and recognize that most Americans do recognize their blessings, even poor Americans, but it is stupid to compare conditions in Burkano Fasso to Anytown, USA. They are different places so substantially so as to make comparisons them of little value for discussion.

Nonsense. Explain why it's unfair to point out that there are people in abject misery whose economies need more development than ours?

What is absurd here is to say this comparison can't be made. And I'll repeat that Americans don't tend to have a clue about how lucky they are except in the abstract sense of superiority they have.

They'll often ascribe their greater wealth to dispositional factors instead of situational ones for one, thinking they are just less lazy and incompetent instead of recognizing that they were merely born with a winning lottery ticket.

And if they truly understand their lucky lot in life and had a heart they would not begrudge others their little bit of success. If they had compassion and perspective they'd never advocate trade barriers, "buy American" and "keep out the Mexicans".

Quote:
But go ahead and vent. Only the worst part is that your words are exactly what one hears from the lips of rich industrialists like that millionaire owner of the coal mine disaster telling his workers how lucky they are to be his wage slaves since they don't live in the Third World.

See: Guilt by association fallacy. It doesn't make what I say wrong just because you can associate it (however loosely) with someone perceived negative.

So if the worst part of what I have to say is that you can come up with a guilt by association fallacy then it's hardly an indictment of what I have had to say.

Quote:
btw: I think that you are completely wrong; the overwhelming majority of Americans know exactly how lucky they have it and understand how filthy rich we are as a nation.

I'll count that as one vote (sans any real arguments) in favor of the position that Americans have sufficient perspective on their wealth.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 04:04 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Not exactly true. Where Robert's living now the U.S. Dollar rules and doesn't suffer the daily devaluation of the native currency. I suspect he'd have to look pretty hard to find a merchant who wouldn't accept it.

That's correct. But I already discussed the very limited relevance of this exception in this post as well as this one. When dollar bills circulate as quasi-legal tender in foreign countries, they work out as interest-free loans to the US, and so yield a tiny benefit to it. But that doesn't redeem Cycloptichorn's erroneous argument for spending US dollars in the US rather than elsewhere. For every dollar that goes around because an American spends it, a dollar comes around to buy an American product or service. It doesn't matter if the American spends the dollar at home or abroad.
While I would agree that Cyclo's contention is short-sighted, I think you're counter-argument is way over the top. It does indeed matter where a dollar is spent. Take a drive through Anytown, U.S.A. where a lot of jobs have been shipped out of the country and you'll see the dramatic result, and the fact that it's felt throughout the community and the surrounding communities.

I'll agree with you all day long that a greater net-good is achieved when the more needing man gets the job by virtue of competition; but that doesn't make it painless here in the short term to our individuals or our economy at large. Exporting jobs can never be good for America; as an equal economic boost will never be returned on a dollar for dollar basis... in the short term. It IS good for mankind, however, because a justice minded individual shouldn't rely on his government guns to stand on the necks of his competition, and a competent person shouldn't need this grotesque assistance.

I agree with you in spirit; but that doesn't change the facts on the ground. Your argument doesn’t work for people who think American’s should have an advantage by way of birthright, rather than the equal opportunity we so celebrate in recent years, internally. Our founding fathers, by their own words, didn’t give us the rights of equal opportunity or the pursuit of happiness, etc; They merely recognized these as inalienable, God-given if you will, rights that were neither theirs to give nor take away. (The deed wasn’t really close to realized till the latter half of the 20th century, but that’s another can of worms.) Externally however, we as American’s have wantonly walked on these same inalienable, God-given if you will, rights of those from other nations for so long that many of us think it is our right to do so. It isn’t and it’s high time we recognized that colonial Americans aren’t the only people who will find these rights worth killing or dying for. If we truly believe all men are created equal (I do), then we have stop discriminating based on lines in the proverbial sand.

Cyclo: If it isn’t the economic leader of the free world’s place to lead the charge towards recognizing the natural, inalienable, God-given if you will rights of all men and woman; then whose place is it?
georgeob1

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 04:54 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I believe you are being excessively categorical in your comparisons; are grossly distorting the behavior of the United States compared to other rich nations; and ignoring important facts in recent history.

Here is a useful starting point - from your response to Cyclo above;
Quote:
Nonsense. No other country is able to throw their economic weight around like we do. No other country is as aggressive about negotiating favorable trade agreements for themselves.

And no other country is spending so much money to wage so much war around the world to reshape our geopolitical (often financial) interests. You are right that others are not saints, but that doesn't mean we can't stop being the world's bully.

While it may be argued that we have greater potential than others to "throw our economic weight around", the facts most certainly do not support your contention that we use it. Like our EU friends we impose economically useless (to us) and harmful (to potential third world exporters) protections for some agriculatural products. However their absolute and relative values are vastly less than those of EU nations and, in some cases Canada as well. Indeed the EU threatens African nations with the complete loss of their agricultural trade if they adopt any of the GM seeds, mostl;y developed here, that promise to significantly improve their food output.

Indeed the Uniuted States is the worlds greatest importer of everything and we have a seriously unfavorable balance of trade to show for it. Have you noticed how the Canadian government howls if we apply ANY restrictions to their lumber or commodity exports to our market? The governments of Soiuth America, particularly the more prosperous ones are all aggressive exporters and, except for Chile, impose significant restraint on the import of either goods or capital.

In all this you simply have your facts dead wrong. Compared to other rich countries from Germany to Singapore and Australia, the United States is and has long been a prominent advocate of free trade. We aren't perfect in this regard, and our Labor Unions and the current Administration are talking about further restrictions to NAFTA (in the name of environmental protection, but in fact motivated by self interest). However, there are few (if any) precedents in history of nations with our relative economic power exhibiting this level of support for free trade and competition.

With respect to our military and the Cold War we simply have opposing views. However, it is worth noting that the fall of the Soviet Empire itself brought about very significant improvements in the standard of living - not to mention freedom - of the countries that finally escaped that awful system. We do indeed intervene to protect our "geopolitical" interests. However, so did the British, French, Spanish, Russian, and Ottoman Empires; so do Iran, China, Venezuela and other nations with respect to their neighbors; and so did Brasil and Argentina in Paraguay in 1830. What is your standard for such things?

Thomas

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 05:08 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Occom Bill wrote:
While I would agree that Cyclo's contention is short-sighted, I think you're counter-argument is way over the top. It does indeed matter where a dollar is spent. Take a drive through Anytown, U.S.A. where a lot of jobs have been shipped out of the country and you'll see the dramatic result, and the fact that it's felt throughout the community and the surrounding communities.

Actually, manufacturing jobs haven't so much been shipped abroad as they have been obsoleted by technical progress. If America was to seal off its economy against manufacturing imports, American workers would get only few of them back. For the most part, they would merely continue losing them to industrial robots instead of foreign manufacturing workers.

Occom Bill wrote:
Exporting jobs can never be good for America; as an equal economic boost will never be returned on a dollar for dollar basis... in the short term.

Not true. Given the same excess of spending over earning, free trade does not constitute a net export of jobs. It may cause America to export manufacturing job to import computer programming jobs. But free trade does not cause a net loss of jobs, other things being equal.

The problem is, other things are not equal. Privately and publically, for the last 20-30 years, America has been consuming more than she produced, and spent more than she earned. Given these American consumption choices, it was inevitable, indeed an accounting identity, that the rest of the world would lend America the money she had not earned, and supply her with the goods she had not produced. But that's not a free trade issue, that's an America-living-beyond-her-means issue.

(Yes, I said that before, but it bears repeating.)