Helping Americans understand just how rich we are

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 05:34 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Why do Republicans only believe in trickle-down economics when it comes to tax breaks for American rich but not when it comes to increased economic activity for developing nations?

Isn't it obvious? They don't actually believe in it here either! It's just a vehicle for justifying their greed.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 05:40 pm
@squinney,
squinney wrote:
To Robert: Understanding that the poor will always be with us does not mean its okay or that nothing should be done. It simply means we have our work cut out for us. US, not U.S.

What have you done today to help alleviate the suffering of the poor? All this talk... is anything happening?

Last night (today really) I gave all the money I had on me to poor Brazilians. It was 4 in the morning, and there was a poor old lady selling roses to rich foreigners (to give to women at the bar). I bought her roses from her and gave it back to her. She started crying and hugging me and it made my night (which only got better and better).

Three kids about waist high ran over to ask for money, they'd been kicking a rock around so I gave them the contents of my wallet and they said they were going to buy a ball.

Another pregnant lady was walking the street selling gum, and though I was out of money I was able to get cashback on my card and gave it to her.

Later that night the kids came running up to me saying something about buying a football. I told them I'd given them all my money already and they said "no, uncle, look! We bought the ball!" We played a game of monkey in the middle on the sidewalk and I haven't had so much fun in years. I went home crying happy tears. Last night was the best night I've had in a long time. I didn't end poverty but just by not being a jaded cynic I had beautiful fellowship and made good friends. I just went back to the bar to try to find the kids again (they made a playdate with me) but they weren't there.

I'm going back later on, it feels good to help. It feels good to not turn a blind eye to your fellow man. The cynics here are doing both themselves and their fellow man a disservice. I spend a majority of my money on trying to improve the lives of others. I'm not perfect and certainly no Mother Teresa or anything but I try to do what I can. And watching the other rich Americans treat these street urchins like a nuisance is part of what motivates me to embrace them and part of what makes me so mad about the insular and selfish attitudes I see among first-worlders.

But you want to know something squinney? It doesn't ******* matter if I'm the most greedy, selfish person on earth. Who I am does nothing to indict what I say. I'm not asking any of you to do anything nice for anyone other than to support less selfish national policies. How generous I am or am not doesn't have anything to do with that and it's telling that time and time again on this thread my appeal to less national selfishness is responded to with ad hominem arguments questioning my personal motivations, actions and generosity.

I don't have to be a good person for it to be a good thing to be a good person. It doesn't matter if I'm all talk, argue against the talk if you can.
Ionus

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 06:03 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I bought her roses from her and gave it back to her. She started crying and hugging me
Damn. Another lump in my throat. This stupid forum is no good for my emotional stability.

I gave the equivalent of US$10,000 to a Jesuit priest to continue his work in a business to make furniture out of local woods in a third world country. Little projects that individuals support can do wonders to improve the lives of many people. If that is achievable by one, what would governments be able to do with intelligent planning ? I added intelligent planning because I know of a Japanese built hospital where the country can not afford to staff it or stock it with medicines so it sits, waiting....it has been waiting for over 20 years now....
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 06:07 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Your example at the beginning of the thread is hopelessly naive because it ignores political and economic realities.

My example at the beginning of the thread merely illustrates the overwhelming military superiority we continue to waste resources on. You can't demonstrate how that is "naive" except to make an ipse dixit proclamation to that effect and continue the straw man about aid to Haiti that I've already explicitly said I did not argue for.

Quote:
More than that, behind an American military shield, western Europe and Japan developed the same kind of consumer economy which makes the United States rich, and needing few to no aircraft carriers, they spent their revenues of health care systems, agricultural subsidies, education systems and a host of other things which we automatically associate with industrialized societies.

The narrative of America saving the world with their military "shield" is such delusional nonsense. America's arms race with the world forces nations to pick a side or to try to engage in the same arms race. It's not a service to the world, it's a service to American industry and sold to the American people through soldier worship and a hero narrative about history.

Quote:
But your thesis is even more naive because of what it ignores about where wealth comes from, how we get wealthy.

It does absolutely nothing of the sort.

Quote:
There is not some finite pool of "wealth" out there from which the United States unfairly takes a lion's share.

Are you a customer of the same straw man factory? I've said time and time again that I do not blame America for the poor of the world. It's already been said here that economics is not a zero-sum game.

You are arguing against straw men of your own creation.

Quote:
You either ignore, are unaware of or have forgotten how the United States and the European nations, as well as Japan and recently China became wealthy.

You can't demonstrate how, but you can certainly apply strength of conviction to the claim.

For example, your history transcription about natural resources, maritime expertise and all simply says nothing at all to address any of my arguments (is par for the course with your history transcriptions, which are often just wedged onto a thread whose connection with it is tenuous).

I made no claim about why these nations are poor, and you make no argument about why my proposals would not improve their lot in life, you just transcribe history, you make no relevant arguments.

Quote:
The United States was not the first, nor usually even the greatest of the industrial powers.

See? Nobody here is making any such claim, and this kind of thing does nothing to address the economic theories you indict, it just knocks down a historical straw man of your own creation.

Quote:
The United States was first and foremost an agricultural and raw material supplier, and continues to exploit such resources to this day. But the other significant thing which the United States and the rest of the industrial world have in common is being huge consumer societies. All of these nations (whether or not they are resource rich) take raw materials, add to their value from a light or heavy industrial process, and then quickly sell them to consumers eager for the goods, and possessing the wherewithal to purchase them.

And this indicts my economic theory how? Seriously, transcribing history isn't an argument against my proposed economic policies, it's a stretch to even consider this related in any way to what I'm saying (it does have the country I am talking about, though, which is about all in its favor).

Quote:
Henry Ford had huge parking lots paved near his factories because he intended to and did sell his automobiles to his own workers, who could not have afforded to buy those cars if they hadn't been decently paid.

Two can play this game.

Thierry Henry is a French footballer and Napole0n was from France, born on the 15th of August in 1769 in Corsica he rose to prominence under the First French Republic and eventually staged a coup to install himself as First Consul. He later went on to proclaim himself emperor and engaged in a series of military conflicts historians refer to as the Napoleonic Wars.

Quote:
Even in the unlikely event that you could convince the American people to feed Haiti rather build another carrier, you'd have solved nothing.

I have screamed from the rooftops in this thread that I do not suggest we give up a carrier to feed Haiti. I have repeatedly said that I made the comparison to show the scale of the resources we spend on military superiority and never once suggested that we give the money instead to Haiti as foreign aid.

But hey, you really did a number on that straw man! Maybe you could treat it as a warm up to address something I actually did say.

Quote:
This is really a hopelessly naive diatribe on your part. It deals in no reality.

Perhaps, but you do nothing to demonstrate as much. Your diatribe simply doesn't deal in my diatribe at all. It deals in a series of straw men and historical non sequitur.

"Non sequitur" is Latin...

Latin (lingua latīna, IPA: /laˈtiːna/) is an Italic language[3] originally spoken in Latium and Ancient Rome. With the Roman conquest, Latin was spread to countries around the Mediterranean, including a large part of Europe. Romance languages such as Aragonese, Corsican, Catalan, French, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian, Sardinian, Spanish and others, are descended from Latin,[4] while many others, especially European languages, have inherited and acquired much of their vocabulary from it. Latin was the international language of science and scholarship in central and western Europe until the 17th century, when it was gradually replaced with vernacular languages.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 06:09 pm
@Ionus,
Good stuff Ionus! Inspires me to do more of the teach-a-man-to-fish kinds of charity. Good show!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 06:10 pm
@squinney,
Squinney wrote:
I was refering to the suggestion somewhere in this thread that industrialization in other countries needs to be allowed to happen so that they can also be wealthy. I said it would not be compassionate to open trade so that dangerous, harmful jobs are sent overseas. If it is not acceptable for US citizens to to consume chemicals that deform and kill our children, which was the case with thousands of products while we industrialized, then why the hell would we advocate those jobs being done by ANYONE??

Because for now, people in the Third World are stuck with Third-World budgets. On those budgets, they often can't afford First-World work conditions in their jobs. Nevertheless, the jobs they can get under free trade can still suck less than the alternatives currently available to them. And whether that's actually the case is their decision to make, not ours.

squinney wrote:
That was also why I addressed teaching them to be industrious. We can give them a well, but if we then teach them to sell its product they are much better off. If we give their neighbor a goat, he can then trade for or buy goats milk for his family.

Not with Americans he can't. US farm subsidies effectively shield the American market from any attempts by him to sell his goats or their milk.

Squinney wrote:
Free trade only allows the governments and those already well off to benefit at the continued detriment of the poor.

That depends on who you mean by "the" poor. If you mean working-class Americans, you're probably right. Free trade will depress their wages even more, making them fall further behind middle-class and upper-class Americans. But if you are referring to poor people in Indonesia, or Cambodia, or Vietnam, you are simply wrong. Free trade has lifted the wages of everyone there, including the poor. And it's the people who are poor by Third-World standards, not the poor people by First-World standards, who need help the most.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 06:19 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
It's not a service to the world
I strongly disagree. Some countries are vastly better off from trade with the USA, trade that is promoted by the spread of english through trade. Russia is better off for having lost the Cold War. Germany and Japan are better off for having lost WWII.

Choosing one of two sides is beneficial to a people that are too diversified as a fractured lot of individuals to benefit from economies of scale.

Quote:
and you make no argument about why my proposals would not improve their lot in life,
That is because your proposals WILL improve their lot in life.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 06:19 pm
From a post to Cyclo I want to extract some core proposals that I'd like to see comments on (in between straw men about giving an aircraft carrier-worth of aid to Haiti, if we must have them):

Quote:
1) A program that rewards developing nations that take steps towards development and democracy with tariff exemptions.

2) Rejection of attempts to punish American companies from hiring overseas (it's not really that viable anyway). Let the global marketplace of workers compete for the global marketplace of jobs with less segmentation of the marketplace.

3) A severe reduction in our military spending and military "interventions" during peacetime. You know, basically just kill fewer of the world's citizens with American tax money.

4) Increased access to legal immigration (especially skilled workers, the H1B visa situation is a joke, those are valuable to America). Things like an entrepreneur visa. If you are going to invest in America then come and do it. At least that kind of stuff is self-serving immigration.

5) A guest worker program that allows migrant workers to work in America.

6) Promotion of debt relief for developing nations that take steps towards democracy and development (in this case mainly focusing on corruption and fiscal responsibility).

7) A commitment to dedicate 1% of our GDP to foreign aid (Sweden does it, before you start the nobody-else-does-what-you-propose canard).

So, American cynics, what is your qualm with this?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 06:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:

We are massively in debt, with a broken economy/government/health care system/ a criminal justice system that is not very good and that we can't afford/ a broken education system........if Americans what to do good works they should to them in America, for Americans. Take care of those closest to you first.
Amigo

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 06:25 pm
I remodel supermarkets. A couple days ago I threw brand new pallets of metel shelves (4ft x 4ft x 5ft high) into the trash. I asked the forman why we were throwing away pallets of brand news shelves. He said "It is cheaper to throw them away then it is to store them". We mined the material to make the steel, shipped it to the factory for production, shipped to the wharhouse, shipped it to the store not to mention all the production and energy and resources inbetween like people driving back and forth to work.

In the end we trashed it. That was the end of the process. The old shelves are exactly like the new ones. They are in the EXACT same shape. Same manufacture. The paint is just a little old and in over half the casses the paint is in great shape but the corperation has so much money and power that to waste the countries resources so the store looks "newer" is no cast to them. They do this because studies show YOU will shop there more. What you don't see is the crass filth and waste right past the doors you don't see.

The American consumer is a victim just like the people in the third world except Americans deserves it.

The factory farm meat (growth homone, antibiotics), preservatives, additives, Pharmaceuticals, toxic water, food, air and culture. Let America load up on it, Let them have their cake and eat it to. This they will line up to buy beacause the shelves are brand new.This is the free market, this is the economy.

http://www.fooducate.com/blog/2010/04/14/mexico-rejects-us-beef-as-unsafe/
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 06:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
You know, hawkeye, many other countries don't have all those problems and have a lot less in way of money to address the issues.

Don't you think we can afford to take care of our problems without needing economic barriers for developing countries? Do you really think we can't afford the policies I speak of?

If so, I reiterate. Americans have no idea how rich we are as a nation.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 06:32 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
I strongly disagree. Some countries are vastly better off from trade with the USA, trade that is promoted by the spread of english through trade.

I don't disagree that many countries are better off through trade with the United States. In fact, that's kinda central to the thesis here if you haven't noticed. I want developing countries to have increased access to trade with the American economy (and other first world nations).

Quote:
Russia is better off for having lost the Cold War.

Sure, but America bears a lot of responsibility for them being in it in the first place with their absolute paranoia about an ideology (communism) and their militaristic resp0nse toward the "Containment of Communism".

Quote:
Germany and Japan are better off for having lost WWII.

Sure, and they both benefited from enormous American generosity. But America can't live on their good from WW2 forever, since then the American military has engaged in much less noble pursuits and we can't forever justify them on the hero narrative.

Quote:
Quote:
and you make no argument about why my proposals would not improve their lot in life,
That is because your proposals WILL improve their lot in life.

Exactly, but it won't solve poverty overnight is where the cynics will then take their arguments, demanding impossible perfection as if it indicts a less-than-perfect good thing.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 06:34 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
If so, I reiterate. Americans have no idea how rich we are as a nation.
If you have $200,000 in the bank and a $50,000 car in the driveway but have debts of $400,ooo and your house is getting ready to fall down because you have not taken care of it (national infrastructure not kept in shape), and your kids are getting a lousy education, and you are not in very good health because you eat poorly and your doctor is not very good...are you rich?

I dont think so, you might be able to tap into the illusion of having wealth and believe that you do.....if you are a fool.

You sure as **** should not be worrying about what you should do for the global poor when you have not even learned to take care of yourself and your family.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 06:35 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Without addressing anything in particular that you quoted, in general I dont see it as solely the USA's responsibilty. Certainly the USA should lead, but rich countries can all do more.

Addressing specifically the points you raised, I would like to see industries developed in these poorer nations to sell comodities to the rich. This will improve the local economy, making people richer and hopefully encouraging local growth.

I am against immigration because we tend to rob poorer countries of their best. We tend to allow migrants who are doctors and scientists or just filty rich but even the poor who migrate are hard workers and ambitious.

But you are right in assessing the importance of democracy. Without it money by the bucket loads can be wasted by corruption and inefficiencies.

Who would ensure we didnt acrue inefficiencies at our end ? We need an system whereby entrepreneurs can volunteer and contribute their experience, funneling charity money down to levels where it will do the most good.

I would be against the USA going it alone and would support all pressure required to bring others on board.
Ionus

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 06:45 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
many countries are better off through trade with the United States
I cant think of a single instance of a powerful country in history that was not a devoted trader....increased trade with poor countries should make the USA richer and the poorer better off too...

I once had a half thought out idea where the rich countries adopt a poor one and help it to a certain standard and then move on to another...can you imagine the screaming from those left out the first time around ? But it would provide focus.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 07:14 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
Without addressing anything in particular that you quoted, in general I dont see it as solely the USA's responsibilty. Certainly the USA should lead, but rich countries can all do more.

I completely agree. I find the same ugly attitudes and protectionism in Australia, for example, but just to a much lesser scale. Most first world countries can have all of this said about them too.

When I hear Australians talking about "protecting their industries" against third-world competition I find it just as disgusting as when I hear Americans talking about it. But I just happen to hear a lot more Americans like that and my rant was directed at them.

Quote:
Addressing specifically the points you raised, I would like to see industries developed in these poorer nations to sell comodities to the rich. This will improve the local economy, making people richer and hopefully encouraging local growth.

I am against immigration because we tend to rob poorer countries of their best. We tend to allow migrants who are doctors and scientists or just filty rich but even the poor who migrate are hard workers and ambitious.

I understand what you mean about the "brain-drain" effect of immigration, but I think that in many cases it's still a net positive for the country. Especially when the kid wouldn't have been able to exploit his brain in the abject poverty anyway.

And I also don't think it's fair to make an individual a slave to his country, his pursuit of happiness doesn't have to be tied to his country's just because he was born there.

Quote:
But you are right in assessing the importance of democracy. Without it money by the bucket loads can be wasted by corruption and inefficiencies.

I don't think democracy is a contrast to corruption to be honest. I just support it for other reasons and want to use market forces to help promote it. You can have very corrupt democracies and very non-corrupt dictatorships.

Quote:
I would be against the USA going it alone and would support all pressure required to bring others on board.

We may all be frozen in inaction if we just look around at each other and refuse to take the first step. The USA can't change the world, but that is too much to ask of anyone.

But it's not too much to ask for us to try to change our corner of the world, the parts we touch and influence.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 10:07 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

From a post to Cyclo I want to extract some core proposals that I'd like to see comments on (in between straw men about giving an aircraft carrier-worth of aid to Haiti, if we must have them):

Quote:
1) A program that rewards developing nations that take steps towards development and democracy with tariff exemptions.

2) Rejection of attempts to punish American companies from hiring overseas (it's not really that viable anyway). Let the global marketplace of workers compete for the global marketplace of jobs with less segmentation of the marketplace.

3) A severe reduction in our military spending and military "interventions" during peacetime. You know, basically just kill fewer of the world's citizens with American tax money.

4) Increased access to legal immigration (especially skilled workers, the H1B visa situation is a joke, those are valuable to America). Things like an entrepreneur visa. If you are going to invest in America then come and do it. At least that kind of stuff is self-serving immigration.

6) Promotion of debt relief for developing nations that take steps towards democracy and development (in this case mainly focusing on corruption and fiscal responsibility).

7) A commitment to dedicate 1% of our GDP to foreign aid (Sweden does it, before you start the nobody-else-does-what-you-propose canard).

I agree with all except #2. #3 pays for #7 easily.

Cycloptichorn
Setanta

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 10:20 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I have demonstrated that it is naive, by pointing out that it ignores practical politics, and the reasons why Congressmen and -women vote for aircraft carriers and not to feed starving nations. So what if you don't want to talk about Haiti? Pick any other example of a failed state where the people are not decently fed, housed, educated and provided medical care. Feeding them with foreign aid is just putting a pressure dressing on a serious wound. At some point, the patient will need surgery, and not first aid.

I haven't said that the American position toward the Soviet Union was justified, but as long as you bring it up, i'd say it was justified. Korea and Vietnam were questionable engagements, but the overall principle was to confront a major military power which was attempting to project, either directly or through surrogates, it's military power into spheres which threatened our national security interests, at least so far as our then political leaders were concerned. There wasn't a lot of public objection to the principle, either, at least not initially. And speaking of ipse dixit, straw man arguments and canards, your response ignores the point of that remark, which was that other production and consumer economies used less of their disposable revenue on military expenditures because we were spending so much of ours. We did so for our own purposes, and i see nothing wrong with the nations concerned having spent their money differently. And, of course, their arms manufacturers benefited and still benefit mightily from the world trade in military hardware and supply.

Another straw man from you, and one with which you ignore an important point. I haven't claimed that you blame America for the poor of the world. I have pointed out that nations, especially failed states like Haiti, suffer from social and political inequities which benefit a few and the majority be damned. You certainly did comment on the share of the world economy controlled by the United States. The United States commands such a large sector of the world economy because it has created much (arguably most) of that sector of wealth.

You keep attempting to dodge the substance of my argument. It is that so long as nations are controlled by greedy minorities who are fine with export economies which don't benefit the majority of the population, and which prevent their nations from being productive consumer societies, those nations will continue as economically failed states, and feeding them is giving first aid to a critically injured patient. Making snide remarks about the historical examples i provided of European nations, the United States and Japan creating production and consumer economies simply avoids the issue. Feeding hungry nations helps nothing without crucial changes to those societies so that they can learn to feed themselves. Pointing out that the United States was not the first or the greatest industrial society would, to someone who had an open mind rather than someone just looking for a rhetorical fight, show that a nation need not be heavily industrialized to create a production and consumer society which would sooner or later, and probably sooner rather than later, accumulate wealth from the wise management of resources and productive capacity. The point about the United States, since you seem so slow to have picked it up, as that agrarian societies can do this, too.

It indicts your economic theory because your economic theory does not address how nations which can't feed themselves are supposed to rectify that situation. Simply feeding hungry nations will do nothing without drastic social and political reform.

Replying with an historical non-sequitur just makes you look stupid, not me. My remark about Ford was part and parcel of the issue of a production and consumer economy. It's hardly might fault that you can't connect the glaringly obvious dots.

I didn't say that we give up building carriers to feed Haiti, i'm just referring to the silly example with which you started this thread. If you want to give away one percent of our revenues, and you convince the American people to do so, whether or not it feeds Haiti or stops the construction of aircraft carriers, it still won't have solved the problems which leave nations starving.

You can keep ranting about straw man arguments, but it won't change that your thesis is naive, and does not address either practical political considerations, or the ways and means to make nations self-supporting in terms of food and economic security.

My remarks are not non sequiturs. They are very much to the point. If you want to devote one percent of our government's revenues to foreign aid in order to feed the world's poor, you're going to have to deal with practical politics. Specifically, you're going to have to deal with the inevitable objection of the taxpayer that they're not responsible for that poverty, and variations of the theme of god helps those who help themselves.

And that's why your diatribe is naive.
Setanta

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 10:48 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

This would not be a bad idea, but it is awfully damned vague. Taking steps toward development could be setting up maquiladora type factories which don't in fact benefit the workers, and just line the pockets of American capitalists and those in the target country. This proposal is insufficiently specific and detailed.

As for democracy, i'd not consider that to be as important as economic and social equity. How a nation chooses its government (or acquiesces in it's foundation) is not important. To use some historical examples, since it seems to piss you off so easily, Rome was a republic, but it would be laughable to describe it as a democracy. Venice had a successful and thriving republic for centuries, and no interest in democracy. The early British empire can hardly be decently described as a democracy, with less than 2% of adult, white males holding the franchise and rotten, pocket boroughs filling so many seats in the House of Commons.

I once heard a former Mexican Justice minister interviewed, and he said that American efforts to make the police more efficient frightened him. He pointed out that at the time he was in office, most of the police were corrupt, and many of them criminal. He suggested that it was better to have inefficient corrupt policemen. We should be wary of imposing our values and systems on others. Dispose of the corruption and social and economic inequities, and the form of government won't much matter. Of course, that might mean in so many cases sponsoring revolution--unless you can think of some other way to get that equity and eliminate that corruption.

Quote:

I don't know that any serious attempts to do this have ever taken place. More effective than any phony political measures which politicians prated about were social movements which condemned designers, for example, how produced their goods in sweat shops. There's nothing wrong with this idea, so long as one is willing to exchange on set of exploiters for another, or one set of exploitative conditions for another.

Quote:

This is naive. While a laudable goal, it ignores political reality. What do you mean by peacetime? Bush and the neo-cons had most of the country convinced that invading Iraq was a justifiable act of self-defense. Once again, your proposals a long on idealism, and short on practical suggestions.

Quote:

This is not unreasonable. It would be very expensive, though, to effectively implement, and for all that people of liberal philosophy howl, states do have a right to ask where the hell the money is going to come from to provide public services for the increased populations. There are a great many people who have a vested interest in the status quo. You'd need to address how we get our fruits and vegetables picked, while avoiding bankrupting the states for public services and assuring that the workers aren't exploited. This would be a big ticket item.

Quote:

See above.

Quote:

Not bad, but once again, wrapping oneself in the democracy flag is meaningless. Democracy doesn't guarantee equity or eliminate corruption.

Quote:
7) A commitment to dedicate 1% of our GDP to foreign aid.

Given that we are a democratic republic, the immediate question which comes to mind is how are you going to sell it to the electorate? You can't do these things you have proposed by fiat, you know--which applies to all of your proposals.

Your swipe at people with that "American cynics" crap ought to be beneath your dignity, but i'm not surprised. Basically, it's an attempt to seize some notional moral high ground in advance of any responses.
Ionus

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 12:01 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I don't think democracy is a contrast to corruption to be honest. I just support it for other reasons and want to use market forces to help promote it. You can have very corrupt democracies and very non-corrupt dictatorships.
I believe corruption is better handled in a democracy than a dictatorship who might be reluctant to reign in his supporters. In a democracy the leadership can be removed at least, though if your point is that a culture of anti-corruption and honest business practice is the best starting point then I agree.
0 Replies