Helping Americans understand just how rich we are

Ionus

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 12:03 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I understand what you mean about the "brain-drain" effect of immigration, but I think that in many cases it's still a net positive for the country. Especially when the kid wouldn't have been able to exploit his brain in the abject poverty anyway. And I also don't think it's fair to make an individual a slave to his country, his pursuit of happiness doesn't have to be tied to his country's just because he was born there.
Immigrants are the best agitators for political change in their home country. How do we change these countries if we take away the people who will do it ?
parados

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 07:51 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Immigrants are the best agitators for political change in their home country. How do we change these countries if we take away the people who will do it ?

But they aren't immigrants if they stay in their home country.....

Oh.. it's that catch 22.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 09:12 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I have demonstrated that it is naive, by pointing out that it ignores practical politics, and the reasons why Congressmen and -women vote for aircraft carriers and not to feed starving nations.

Well then you demonstrate that your straw man is naive, because I keep repeating that I don't expect or even call for anyone to try to feed starving people, I want them to have a more level playing field.

And whether it's unpopular or not does nothing to indict the idea, I know Americans don't care enough do change the attitudes I criticize. They'd rather be cynics and talk about how it's not going to perfectly solve world poverty and portray it as futile or, yes, even naive than face the world's poor and look them in the eye.

So what if you don't want to talk about Haiti? Pick any other example of a failed state where the people are not decently fed, housed, educated and provided medical care. Feeding them with foreign aid is just putting a pressure dressing on a serious wound. At some point, the patient will need surgery, and not first aid.

Quote:
I haven't said that the American position toward the Soviet Union was justified, but as long as you bring it up, i'd say it was justified. Korea and Vietnam were questionable engagements, but the overall principle was to confront a major military power which was attempting to project, either directly or through surrogates, it's military power into spheres which threatened our national security interests, at least so far as our then political leaders were concerned.

The American policy of Containment was the same thing, a military power projecting power. Kennan's "Long Telegram" and "Containment of Communism" essay both called for the United States to cease cooperation with the Soviets in favor of projection of power to counter the ideology of communism and what Kennan perceived as inherently expansionist Soviets.

I'm saying that the United States was playing the same game, but only with the right economic ideology. The United States made the cold war together with the Soviets and in many cases were the ones militarizing the ideological conflict.

Quote:
There wasn't a lot of public objection to the principle, either, at least not initially. And speaking of ipse dixit, straw man arguments and canards, your response ignores the point of that remark, which was that other production and consumer economies used less of their disposable revenue on military expenditures because we were spending so much of ours.

It's completely true that some countries can ignore their own military spends because they ally themselves with the United States. I live in one such country (Costa Rica) that abolished their military which can't happen in a vacuum of power as easily.

But the notion that we are the guardians of the world whose protective wing allows others to develop economically is exaggerated, we are also a huge source of instability for nations who don't want to kiss our asses, and we routinely threaten them and push them into their own wasteful arms races.

It's simply not a benevolent guardianship we have here, and while it surely has benefited some it has wrought havoc on others.

Quote:
Another straw man from you, and one with which you ignore an important point. I haven't claimed that you blame America for the poor of the world.

But you argue against my position on the basis of the cause of poverty not being American, that is what a straw man is. You may not explicitly say I said something but you spend nearly your whole argument debunking an argument nobody made.

Quote:
I have pointed out that nations, especially failed states like Haiti, suffer from social and political inequities which benefit a few and the majority be damned.

Well, Capitan Obvious, nobody is disputing that. But even if Haiti had perfect equality in wealth it would mean that each Haitian would earn less than $1k per year (their GDP per capita is $1,300).

The bottom line is that countries like this need economic growth in addition to internal political improvements. Neither side can be ignored.

Quote:
You certainly did comment on the share of the world economy controlled by the United States. The United States commands such a large sector of the world economy because it has created much (arguably most) of that sector of wealth.

But you portrayed this as me arguing that the United States took the lion's share of a zero-sum game, and that is not an argument I subscribe to or made.

I don't believe economics is a zero-sum game, that is one of the main reasons I advocate what I do, in the long run it's good for America too. Bill argued this explicitly already on this thread.

Quote:
You keep attempting to dodge the substance of my argument.

No, your argument lacks substance. I am not dodging any of it.

Quote:
It is that so long as nations are controlled by greedy minorities who are fine with export economies which don't benefit the majority of the population, and which prevent their nations from being productive consumer societies, those nations will continue as economically failed states, and feeding them is giving first aid to a critically injured patient.

For the third or fourth time I am not arguing for America to feed other countries.

And as I've already demonstrated, the internal inequality argument doesn't hold up without the increased economic participation I am calling for. These countries don't have large enough economies to distribute equally and pull themselves out of poverty. They need economic growth as well, full stop.

Quote:
Making snide remarks about the historical examples i provided of European nations, the United States and Japan creating production and consumer economies simply avoids the issue.

The remarks were snide remarks about how you write a historical essay as if it addresses arguments herein when it doesn't. Nothing you wrote about even begins to address what I've argued for.

Quote:
Feeding hungry nations helps nothing without crucial changes to those societies so that they can learn to feed themselves.

For the fifth time with you I will point out that I do not advocate "feeding hungry nations". I advocate trade policies that will help them develop their own industries and exports.

Making straw men and knocking them down is bad enough, but using the same old beat-up straw man so many times is even more intellectually dishonest.

Again: I do not advocate that America "feed hungry nations". Stop arguing against this straw man.

Quote:
Pointing out that the United States was not the first or the greatest industrial society would, to someone who had an open mind rather than someone just looking for a rhetorical fight, show that a nation need not be heavily industrialized to create a production and consumer society which would sooner or later, and probably sooner rather than later, accumulate wealth from the wise management of resources and productive capacity. The point about the United States, since you seem so slow to have picked it up, as that agrarian societies can do this, too.

It's a pointless point, what I advocate would allow them to do so more rapidly, and pointing out that the US was not the first to do so doesn't begin to say anything about what I have been arguing.

Would more favorable trade policies help create more favorable conditions for them to develop their own industries? Yes! Does the fact that the US was not the first industrialized nation change this? No.

It's a wholly irrelevant argument, and like I said, transcribing history of tenuous relation to the topic at hand is your stock and store.

Quote:
It indicts your economic theory because your economic theory does not address how nations which can't feed themselves are supposed to rectify that situation. Simply feeding hungry nations will do nothing without drastic social and political reform.

For the sixth time, I do not advocate "simply feeding hungry nations". You are beating the **** out of a straw man of your own creation.

Quote:
Replying with an historical non-sequitur just makes you look stupid, not me.

I didn't think you looked stupid, but I can see how you'd want to think I do.

Quote:
My remark about Ford was part and parcel of the issue of a production and consumer economy. It's hardly might fault that you can't connect the glaringly obvious dots.

There's no connection to your dots and my argument. You can't make the connection yourself.

Quote:
I didn't say that we give up building carriers to feed Haiti, i'm just referring to the silly example with which you started this thread.

You distorted the example to portray it as silly. The initial example is simple fact relating to the world's aircraft carriers and their costs. I was not advocating that we give that money to Haiti. This is a straw man George already beat up soundly and then you piled on. But it's still a straw man.

Quote:
If you want to give away one percent of our revenues, and you convince the American people to do so, whether or not it feeds Haiti or stops the construction of aircraft carriers, it still won't have solved the problems which leave nations starving.

Nope, it won't. That's why it's on the bottom of my list and things like more favorable trade relations are at the top. Our foreign aid is often not helpful to the world's poor at all (it's usually more political than real aid) but I still think it is a tool that has utility.

Giving to corrupt regimes for geopolitical reasons is not helpful to the world's poor, but that indicts giving to corrupt regimes, not giving overall. There are plenty of perfectly useful causes for foreign aid and that it won't end world poverty is to demand impossible perfection to indict the concept of it being good at all.

Quote:
You can keep ranting about straw man arguments, but it won't change that your thesis is naive, and does not address either practical political considerations, or the ways and means to make nations self-supporting in terms of food and economic security.

You can keep creating straw men to simply repeat that my arguments are "naive" but you'd make a better case for that if you weren't making up the arguments for me.

A more intellectually honest approach would be to address the arguments I do make, instead of ganging up on the straw men arguments that I did not make.

Quote:
My remarks are not non sequiturs. They are very much to the point. If you want to devote one percent of our government's revenues to foreign aid in order to feed the world's poor, you're going to have to deal with practical politics.

I said nothing at all about dedicating foreign aid to feed the world's poor in this entire thread. The only time I ever called for foreign aid was when I said we should increase our share of foreign aid from 0.22% of our GDP to 1% (in line with Sweden).

I don't think this aid is best spent feeding anyone. I think it's best spent as a political carrot towards development and constructive policies. Most of our foreign aid is not for "feeding" anyone it's for bribing governments into adopting policies we advocate.

See how this is a straw man? I never once advocate more foreign aid to "feed the world's poor" but you beat the hell out of that straw man anyway.

Quote:
Specifically, you're going to have to deal with the inevitable objection of the taxpayer that they're not responsible for that poverty, and variations of the theme of god helps those who help themselves.

And that's why your diatribe is naive.

I think you just like to portray my argument as naive, even if you have to ignore that much of my diatribe is directed at exactly that fact that Americans are too selfish to adopt the policies I advocate and that they would rather point out that they aren't responsible (even if nobody is saying they are) than try to help.

So basically, you call me naive for saying the same thing you are (that Americans won't go for this) but for calling for it instead of cynically dismissing the notion like you would prefer.

I know the attitudes I criticize are unlikely to go away, I have no naiveté in this regard, I have disdain for the selfish, insular first-world bubble.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 09:15 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

More favorable trade relationships, like I advocate, would create more favorable conditions in their own countries and make emigration less desirable.

But I don't think it's fair to try to make the individual's pursuit of happiness tied to the country they are born in.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 09:18 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I agree with all except #2. #3 pays for #7 easily.

I was pretty sure your disagreement had more to do with style than substance. But I'm surprised that your only disagreement with me (#2, the rejection of attempts to punish outsourcing) is the most obvious one.

Those attempts can't work without more protectionism anyway. The companies can simply restructure and instead of directly hiring overseas they'd pay a foreign company (the last corporation I worked for created a Costa Rican corporation for example) and to curb those kinds of spends you'd have to erect more trade protectionism.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 09:37 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I was pretty sure your disagreement had more to do with style than substance. But I'm surprised that your only disagreement with me (#2, the rejection of attempts to punish outsourcing) is the most obvious one.

Those attempts can't work without more protectionism anyway.

I am not against immigration being expanded and that's what most of these points were about. #7 is fine as long as it's paid for by spending cuts elsewhere.

As for #2, I don't believe in letting corporations offshore their work with no penalties, because of two reasons:

1, It acts as a significant downward pressure on labor laws and standards of safety. When there is no penalty for companies violating US labor laws by moving their work to less restrictive countries, it actively harms workers here in the US AND rewards countries for having lax labor laws. I have no interest in this at all.

2, It allows corporations to have their cake and eat it too. They get to enjoy the luxuries of America and the safeties and protections of it, but skip on the taxes they owe to support it and the wages that Americans require in order to survive. I don't see any compelling reason to let them do this.

Cycloptichorn
Ionus

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 09:48 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
More favorable trade relationships, like I advocate, would create more favorable conditions in their own countries and make emigration less desirable.
Yes, it would, but it is a chicken and egg scenario. We also have to create conditions where the best will stay in their country and help it. Things like freedom, crime, the odd masacre, all these things make the west look better. Which comes first ? Having the people there to take advantage of the trade and develop the trade, or develop the trade and hope they return to help build their nation ?

Quote:
But I don't think it's fair to try to make the individual's pursuit of happiness tied to the country they are born in.
It certainly isnt fair to the people left behind who cant move and now have the best doing quite well thank you. perhaps your personal circumstances are making you biased in favour of immigration whereas I think a cold hearted policy would do more good.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 09:49 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
This would not be a bad idea, but it is awfully damned vague.

It's a bullet point, if you can spell out all those details in the same constraint I'd be damned impressed.

Quote:
Taking steps toward development could be setting up maquiladora type factories which don't in fact benefit the workers, and just line the pockets of American capitalists and those in the target country. This proposal is insufficiently specific and detailed.

I think you have the wrong idea of what I mean. I am not talking about factories so much as economic policies. We historically used the IMF loans to pressure nations to adopt our economic policies (which I largely agree with by the way). We'd tie loans and loan guarantees to things like government cuts, moves toward a free market, etc.

What I propose is that we tie a better carrot to those policies in the form of trade relationships. So when a Brazil of the world takes steps like they have over the last decade we'd recognize the progress and invest in it.

So I'm talking about policies such as sane central bank policies more than building factories. When Brazil had insane central bank policies such as the one George mentioned where they'd inflate their own currency in response to inflation (because inflation made savings disappear they'd adjust savings in the bank to compensate, thereby reinforcing hyperinflation) they had internal fiscal policy that was insane to try to invest much in.

But Brazil has undergone a complete metamorphosis in the last 20 years and now has had fairly solid economic policy for a decade and has been showing growth as a result (even growing at the beginning of the recession while the world's economies weren't).

This kind of economic development is something I'd like to see us invest in more and reward more. We preached it to Latin America for years but often when they adopt it we leave them holding the painful transition bag and nothing else.

Quote:
As for democracy, i'd not consider that to be as important as economic and social equity.

I agree, and that is more of a political concern of mine than a social one. I prefer not to empower dictatorships with economic growth. I am using economical carrots for political goals here.

Quote:
How a nation chooses its government (or acquiesces in it's foundation) is not important. To use some historical examples, since it seems to piss you off so easily, Rome was a republic, but it would be laughable to describe it as a democracy. Venice had a successful and thriving republic for centuries, and no interest in democracy. The early British empire can hardly be decently described as a democracy, with less than 2% of adult, white males holding the franchise and rotten, pocket boroughs filling so many seats in the House of Commons.

The historical "arguments" don't piss me off so much as waste my time through verbose backing up of arguments that don't address mine. I am not advocating democracy as a response to poverty, I advocate democracy as what I see as the current ideal in civics.

Quote:
I once heard a former Mexican Justice minister interviewed, and he said that American efforts to make the police more efficient frightened him. He pointed out that at the time he was in office, most of the police were corrupt, and many of them criminal. He suggested that it was better to have inefficient corrupt policemen. We should be wary of imposing our values and systems on others. Dispose of the corruption and social and economic inequities, and the form of government won't much matter. Of course, that might mean in so many cases sponsoring revolution--unless you can think of some other way to get that equity and eliminate that corruption.

A lot of times corruption is a symptom of poverty. The Brazilian police are incredibly corrupt, but they aren't paid well enough to make the petty corruption unattractive.

I think combating corruption doesn't always need to be a matter of revolution, though there are certainly regimes corrupt enough that it would be necessary. Many kinds of corruption can be addressed with strong political willpower (politicians not willing to bend to it and who crack down on it) and economic growth.

The best way to make Mexican police less corrupt would be to pay them more which would raise the cost of corruption to them (more to lose) and lower the incentive (right now many police around the world have wages that most humans would not consider enough to be risking their lives as honest cops for).

Quote:
I don't know that any serious attempts to do this have ever taken place. More effective than any phony political measures which politicians prated about were social movements which condemned designers, for example, how produced their goods in sweat shops. There's nothing wrong with this idea, so long as one is willing to exchange on set of exploiters for another, or one set of exploitative conditions for another.

I agree that no serious attempts have yet been made, but this economic climate has produced calls to and Obama has spoken himself about how he'd like to if I'm not mistaken.

I hope Americans reject it, it is a very silly idea.

Quote:
This is naive. While a laudable goal, it ignores political reality. What do you mean by peacetime? Bush and the neo-cons had most of the country convinced that invading Iraq was a justifiable act of self-defense. Once again, your proposals a long on idealism, and short on practical suggestions.

Yes, I am talking about ideals. Yes, I know Americans aren't going to buy most of my ideas. That is why I am so ******* fed up with their attitudes.

It's easier to sell Americans war than trying to help your fellow man.

But I disagree that military cuts are not practical, it's just not politically popular (and thusly perhaps not practical politically) but the proposal for drastic military cuts is probably the most glaringly obvious thing we should do (not for the world either, just for the American fiscal sanity it'd be a good idea).

Quote:
This is not unreasonable. It would be very expensive, though, to effectively implement, and for all that people of liberal philosophy howl, states do have a right to ask where the hell the money is going to come from to provide public services for the increased populations.

Then they are being stupid, because studies have shown that these people are a net economic positive. The founders of Google are an example of the kinds of people I am talking about.

America's immigration policy is most schizophrenic when it comes to how hard we make it for the world's best and brightest to invest their intellectual and financial capital in America.

Quote:
There are a great many people who have a vested interest in the status quo. You'd need to address how we get our fruits and vegetables picked, while avoiding bankrupting the states for public services and assuring that the workers aren't exploited. This would be a big ticket item.

H1B visas just aren't for fruit pickers (it is a visa for skilled labor), nor would the entrepreneur visa. That is addressed in my next item:

Quote:
Quote:
5) A guest worker program that allows migrant workers to work in America.

See above.

No doubt there would be great opposition to it. But it would largely be hot air, as those kinds of workers are often here illegally anyway. It would be to officialize what we aren't able to keep out anyway and make it more likely that they'll take their earnings home (right now crossing the border back is highly risky, let's let put them on the grid so that they can do such a thing). Even Republicans like Bush were for this when done right.

Quote:
Not bad, but once again, wrapping oneself in the democracy flag is meaningless. Democracy doesn't guarantee equity or eliminate corruption.

I agree, but surely you see other good reasons to support democracy right? What I want to avoid is buying Mugabe's of the world political power, so when the Mbekis come along I'd like to provide them capital that buys them political capital.

In the long run, democracy is good for economy too. They'd have more foreign investment with more democracy for one, because of the penchant dictators have for nationalization and such.

Quote:
Given that we are a democratic republic, the immediate question which comes to mind is how are you going to sell it to the electorate?

I can't, they are too ******* insular and selfish. So I rant and tell them they are too ******* insular and selfish.

Quote:
Your swipe at people with that "American cynics" crap ought to be beneath your dignity, but i'm not surprised. Basically, it's an attempt to seize some notional moral high ground in advance of any responses.

I don't see it as moral high ground, I am just frustrated at the ideal being indicted on the basis of it being unwanted.

"That's a bad idea because we don't want to do it," is what is annoyingly cynical. Recognizing that it's a good policy but lamenting that it is unlikely is perfectly realistic but I see strong resistance to the notion that it is good policy as well for reasons ranging from political unpopularity to the absurd notion that we can't afford to do so.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 09:52 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
As for #2, I don't believe in letting corporations offshore their work with no penalties, because of two reasons:

1, It acts as a significant downward pressure on labor laws and standards of safety. When there is no penalty for companies violating US labor laws by moving their work to less restrictive countries, it actively harms workers here in the US AND rewards countries for having lax labor laws. I have no interest in this at all.

But I don't think you can do much about it without trade protectionism and I think you are fighting the sea of globalization with a teacup.

Quote:
2, It allows corporations to have their cake and eat it too. They get to enjoy the luxuries of America and the safeties and protections of it, but skip on the taxes they owe to support it and the wages that Americans require in order to survive. I don't see any compelling reason to let them do this.

I don't really see any way you can stop them without shooting America in the foot (by engaging in trade protectionism that would be necessarily be too restrictive for our own economy), and I happen to think those actions are a net benefit to the world so don't have the goal in the first place.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 09:56 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
Yes, it would, but it is a chicken and egg scenario. We also have to create conditions where the best will stay in their country and help it. Things like freedom, crime, the odd masacre, all these things make the west look better. Which comes first ? Having the people there to take advantage of the trade and develop the trade, or develop the trade and hope they return to help build their nation ?

I prescribe most catch 22 situations a healthy dose of parallelism. Sequentialism to a catch 22 is to guarantee failure most of the time.

Quote:
It certainly isnt fair to the people left behind who cant move and now have the best doing quite well thank you. perhaps your personal circumstances are making you biased in favour of immigration whereas I think a cold hearted policy would do more good.

I think I'm just less socialist, and don't like to tie an individual's freedom to national responsibility.

I also probably don't think that the emigration hurts their home countries as much as you do, they usually support their whole families back home and don't forget about them entirely.

Remittances (expats sending money home) are a huge part of the Mexican economy (off the top of my head I'd guess 10-25%) and an even larger part of other economies I have lived in.

I just don't see emigration as being as much of a negative as you do, even though I do recognize the brain drain effect.
Setanta

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 10:15 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
Yes, I am talking about ideals. Yes, I know Americans aren't going to buy most of my ideas. That is why I am so ******* fed up with their attitudes.

Here's the crux of the biscuit. You're swimming against the tide of human nature. People very quickly adopt a "i've got mine, screw you attitude." It's not just Americans, and it's not just now. The French revolution ended long before Napoleon took power, when the Directory took power, and their middle class bully boys, the Jeunesse Doré roamed the streets beating up anyone they considered a working class agitator. The revolution largely benefited the middle class, but they could not have accomplished it without the working class. Having mostly attained their goals, though, they wanted the revolution to end, and they had no interest in what the working class wanted. A similar situation (although more complex and obscure) can be seen at work at the end of the second English civil war, when the Agitators in the army attempted to get a political settlement with a written bill of rights. It failed, and largely because it was seen by the army "Grandees" as going too far. In both of these examples, it was a case of "i've got what i want, so screw everyone else."

The examples i use from history are not non-sequiturs, and they do address the topic, even if they address aspects of the topic that you don't wish to address. To accomplish your program, you'd have to overcome that "i've got mine, screw you" attitude. Americans are not selfish, they are not ungenerous, but they wouldn't do anything which political demagogues could convince them impaired their prosperity in aid of people who could successfully be characterized as some kind of welfare loafers.

Maybe Americans don't understand how much economic power they command, although i doubt that is true. But attempting to spread the wealth would not only be difficult because of the very human and understandable attitude of "i've got mine, etc.," but it would be a field day for political demagogues who would rush to characterize if as yet another liberal pie in the sky give-away. And, naturally, any real solution would entail curtailed some of the activities of capitalists, and closely regulating the rest of their behavior, and they'd be more than willing to spend huge amounts to prevent that.

And by the way, speaking of straw man arguments, i did not at any time say that it was unreasonable to cut military expenditures. It wouldn't even be unpopular, if it were handled correctly. It would put a lot of people out of work though, so it would be fodder for political ranters opposed to the administration.
fbaezer

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 02:16 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Remittances (expats sending money home) are a huge part of the Mexican economy (off the top of my head I'd guess 10-25%) and an even larger part of other economies I have lived in.

You're a bit off track here, Robert.
Remittances reppresented 2.9% of the Mexican economy in their top year, 2007 (and they fell to 1.7% in 2009).
BTW, It is calculated that, for every 0.4% of the product in remittances, 1% of the families avoid poverty.

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 02:59 pm
@fbaezer,
Makes sense now that I think about it, Mexico's economy is much more diverse than the ones where I've seen the larger remittance numbers for. But still pretty impressive.

And to Ionus, here is some food for thought:

Quote:
Money sent home by migrants constitutes the second largest financial inflow to many developing countries, exceeding international aid. Estimates of remittances to developing countries vary from International Fund for Agricultural Development's US$301 billion[1] (including informal flows) to the World Bank's US$250 billion for 2006 (excluding informal flows). Remittances contribute to economic growth and to the livelihoods of oppressed people worldwide. Moreover, remittance transfers can also promote access to financial services for the sender and recipient, thereby increasing financial and social inclusion. Remittances also foster, in the receiving countries, a further economic dependence on the global economy instead of building sustainable, local economies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remittance

The last line seems to be what Ionus was concerned about, and it's certainly a valid point but it seems to me that it's still a net benefit to the developing nation.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 03:01 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Here's the crux of the biscuit. You're swimming against the tide of human nature.

Perhaps, but I'd like to believe that the attitudes I advocate are as human as the attitudes I criticize. If selfishness is human nature, so is compassion and empathy (I hope).

Thing is, I'm not going to argue for or against something on the basis of a naturalistic fallacy, even if compassion weren't our nature and selfishness were I would not consider that an indictment of compassion.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 03:14 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Thing is, I'm not going to argue for or against something on the basis of a naturalistic fallacy, even if compassion weren't our nature and selfishness were I would not consider that an indictment of compassion.
the fallacy you should concern yourself is the one about how we can change human nature at will. We can change our behaviour within the confines of human nature, but we best know what human nature is before we start laying plans and making laws. Those who have for instance written the sex laws and the hate crime laws don't know enough to know better than what they do. I would expect you to be better.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 03:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'm just not going to get into your sex with minors obsession on this thread hawkeye.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 03:21 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I'm just not going to get into your sex with minors obsession on this thread hawkeye.
Whatever, but at some point you are going to need to deal with the fact that a whole class of laws are misguided, and more importantly how we made the wrong turn.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 03:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
It is pretty clear that what remains of Western Civilization is in need of another lesson on the costs of repression. It ALWAYS leads to dangerous eruptions. Human nature will not be denied an outlet, when we repress it comes out at unpredictable times, and tends to be destructive. We know this, we have known this for a long time, but we pretend that it is not true.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 03:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
You don't ever notice that your obsessions and predictions aren't that connected to reality do you? Remember how you told us how the friends feature on able2know would make this all a popularity contest and clique and destroy debate? Debate continues with no real difference at all and you'll move on to new things to preach gloom and doom about.

You'll be one sad prophet of doom on your deathbed when humanity marches on just fine without you.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 04:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

You don't ever notice that your obsessions and predictions aren't that connected to reality do you? Remember how you told us how the friends feature on able2know would make this all a popularity contest and clique and destroy debate? Debate continues with no real difference at all and you'll move on to new things to preach gloom and doom about.

You'll be one sad prophet of doom on your deathbed when humanity marches on just fine without you.

You're right about Doomo-Gloomo here.

We get on fine with the changes - except for the lack of a robust search function! Being able to hold people accountable for things they have said in the past has both won debates for me (and lost them!) and it's a significant loss not to have it.

Not that you are either made of time or money, you got other stuff going on, etc I know. No worries.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies