Hope is a thing with feathers that's driving me crazy.

msolga

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 07:57 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
But she's still shouting but the tone seems to have changed a bit.

A good sign, I hope, boomerang! (But you must be going nuts by now!)

Well done!

Who'd have thought a little bird would fancy smelly cat food (of the mushy variety)! Surprised

boomerang

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 07:59 pm
4 fat ugly maggoty looking worm halfs down and 6 minutes of silence!!

I should have enough fat ugly maggoty looking worms to half to last me a couple of days.

I was unprepared for the fact that she wanted stuff shoved down her thoat and would attempt to swallow the tweezers in a horrifying "what have I done moment" before she opened her yap for more.

I'm both disgusted and charmed.

I now know for sure that I'm a mammal girl.
boomerang

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 08:03 pm
@msolga,
I can hear similar bird calls outside so I'm sure Hope can too. Maybe the fact that they won't shut up is why she won't shut up. If I had some giant shoving fat, ugly, maggoty looking worms in my face I'd be screaming for mama too!
farmerman

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 08:31 pm
@boomerang,
your maggoty worms is her vermicelli.. (you know what I mean)
boomerang

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 08:33 pm
@farmerman,
With god as my witness, I will never eat vermicelli again, thank you very much.

But yeah.... I know what you mean.
farmerman

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 08:43 pm
@boomerang,
when I think about it more, its actually a lot closer to dirty rice than vermicelli no?
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 08:50 pm
@boomerang,
Did you check if there was blood on top of her little face? Looks like it on the picture - could the cats have done that?
boomerang

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 10:06 pm
@High Seas,
It probably is blood. Let's face it -- she fell from a nest, was caught by the cat, caught and boxed by me, placed in a hedge, fell from the hedge, caught by the cat, caught and boxed by me, driven to the pet store, placed in a cage, put inside, put outside, put inside, put outside, fed a variety of foods, and so on and so forth. She's doing remarkably well considering.

She's tiny. It is really hard see in real life if her face has been damaged. The birds that fretted over her were almost like hummingbirds in their movements and size.

I showed Mo how to feed her tonight and she gobbled down so many worms that I finally called a halt, not knowing what might happen if a bird is overfed. She's quiet now. Ahhhhh.

Mo is completely delighted and amazed by her. She is way cooler than the gekkos and the snail eggs and the snakes and all the other things we've temporarily shared space with. He's quite smitten, even knowing that the goal is to let her go. (His favorite show these days is "Billy the Exterminator" so he knows how important it is to let things be free.)

I tried to explain E. Dickinson and Hope with feathers but he is still unconvinced by the name.

This has been a truly interesting day.

All of you are more than wonderful for getting me through it.

Thank you.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 02:19 am
The adult bird has a tail reminicent of the wren family we have here.

You caught a snake? Crikey!! I am impressed.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 02:39 am

The baby is sqawking for food and will need feeding constantly every 1/2 hour or so.
Imagine you are both momma bird and father bird. How much can you fit in your beak? How many times will you need to visit the nest and feed your baby each day? Put a cover over the cage to protect from rain and leave it outside. Momma and Pappa might be able to feed through the bars although I doubt it, baby bird wont understand that it needs to be in the right spot, Baby will not be able to regulate its own temperature well enough yet so bringing the cage in at night would probably be required.
Baby is growing at a super fast rate and will consume it's own body weight in food daily.

Found this
* nestling must be fed every 15-­20 minutes from sunrise to sunset
* an adult robin makes about 400 trips every day to feed its young
* adult birds teach their young where to look for food and how to
avoid predators - things impossible for humans to do.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 02:45 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
My wife thinks its a thrush like a robin or a warbler.
(Good thing is that theyre all meatatarians) so da woims is not a bad choice.
Did u see his or her talons??
That little fellow believes in the 2nd Amendment!

boomer: u take beautiful pictures!

David

David
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 08:44 am
Awwwww. Hope was dead when I got up this morning. She seemed to be doing so well. I really didn't expect this.

At least I tried.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 08:49 am
@boomerang,
sorry boom.

that sucks...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 08:58 am
@boomerang,
Ah, I'm so sorry. Poor little baby - but at least you gave her a fighting chance.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 09:40 am
"Sucks" about sums it up.

Mo was pretty upset about it but we "planted" (our version of bury) her this morning near the clemantis so she can help it bloom.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 10:36 am
Please accept my condolences, boomer.
U did the best that u coud.

She did not die; she only MOLTED, like a butterfly of the cocoon. www.IANDS.org

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 11:11 am

boomer, maybe u can distract Mo from the pall of the day
and cheer him up by showing him JJ, the cute baby mule on Arella's thread:
http://able2know.org/topic/134242-26#post-3982723

David
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 11:16 am
@boomerang,
I'm sorry Boomer. You did try. Still...so sad.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 07:55 pm
@boomerang,
Oh, that's really sad, boomerang. Poor little bird, she seemed to be doing so well under the difficult circumstances yesterday.
Yes, you tried your best. And you can't do any better than that, can you? I'm sorry that there wasn't a far happier outcome after all that effort.
farmerman

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 08:01 pm
@msolga,
AHHHHH sorry. I think that the baby was wounded beyond repair. She did have that nasty gash on the high end of the beak and the cat could have crushed the skull a little. Too damn bad. It always is a kick in the gut when you try to save something and it doesnt work out.