Is it easy 2 replace a cv boot on your own?

Pexy

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 09:21 pm
I was told my front left cv boot was split, I have a toyota rav 4, 4door 1998.
I've heard it's very expensive to get it replaced so I was thinking is it cheaper an possible to replace it on my own? I'm no expert with cars.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 11,562 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 09:29 pm
@Pexy,
the drive axle replacement is the best way to go.

remanufactured they are around $80 most places (exchange)

you will need air tools to complete the job most likely.
0 Replies

jeffcollision

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 01:23 am
Yep. Its easy if you follow this steps

Cut both CV boot clamps with snippers and remove the old boot.
Make note of the position and dis-assembly order of the inner race, outer race, cage and shaft so that they can be re-assembled in the proper order.
Use a screwdriver to pry the wire ring from the outer race.

Pull the outer race off the inner bearing assembly.

Take the snap ring out of the groove in the axle using snap ring pliers.

Slide the inner bearing assembly off the CV shaft.

Remove the stop ring from the axle shaft.

Remove the ball bearings from the cage assembly using a screwdriver.

Align the inner race lands with the cage windows. Pull the race from the cage.

Spray all of the parts down with brake parts cleaner to remove all dirt, dust, debris and grease.

Insert the inner race into the cage with the chamfered splines facing the same direction as the small end of the cage.

Press the ball bearings into the cage.

Slide the new boot and boot clamp into position. You can wrap the splines with electrical tape to prevent damage to the boot.

Insert the stop ring on the shaft.

Insert the inner race and cage onto the axle with the "bulge" side of the cage facing out.

Insert the snap ring into the groove. Be sure to seat the ring by pressing on the inner race and cage assembly once the ring is in place, making sure that this action does not cause the ring to come off.

Fill the outer race and boot with axle grease (supplied with your CV joint rebuild kit). Make sure to pack the grease into the boot and work it into the joint as best you can.

Slide the outer race onto the inner race and install the wire ring.

Lift up on the side of the boot that you did not fill with grease with a screwdriver. This will let any air out of the boot that may have gotten trapped inside while you were filling the boot with grease.

Position the boot clamps into the groove on the new boot and bend the metal tang downward. Flatten the tang using a screwdriver to hold the clamp in place.

0 Replies