The 10 Best Journalism Movies Ever Made

Letty

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 02:14 pm
Oops, dj. Missed that. I guess I need to quote Will Rogers, then.

All I know is just what I read in the papers, and that's an alibi for my ignorance.

Did see Orson Welles in the William Randolph Hearst story. I recall his last words were, "....rose bud.."
Ragman

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 02:35 pm
@Letty,
dj? No it's me, Russ
Letty

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 11:28 am
@Ragman,
I know, honey. I replied to all.

Incidentally, Would William F. Buckley be considered a journalist?
Ragman

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 11:35 am
@Letty,
In my mind, what Buckley (may he RIP) did was editorialize. He was a TV commentator and an author. I never saw him do what I considered as journalism or reportage.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 01:20 pm
Top Ten Lists are always debatable, especially when they reflect the views of only one person. The films that joefromchicago mentioned could easily replace four or five of the movies on the article's list.

Has anyone seen "Medium Cool" directed by Haskell Wexler? It is an awesome movie about journalism and includes actual footage of riot violence at the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 09:13 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:
Top Ten Lists are always debatable, especially when they reflect the views of only one person.

Well, that's rather like saying that the shape of the earth is always debatable. If I were to say, for instance, that Citizen Kane is a better movie than The Godfather, that would certainly be debatable, and there are good arguments to be made on either side of that issue. On the other hand, if I were to say that Dude, Where's My Car? is a better movie than The Godfather, that would only be debatable in the same sense that the shape of the earth is debatable. There will always be some people who will think that the earth is flat, just as there will always be some people (or at least one person) who think that it's tough to choose between Citizen Kane and The Paper on a list of great journalism movies. To say, then, that the inclusion of The Paper in preference to Citizen Kane is "debatable" is to state a meaningless truism. What's important here is not that the author's choice is debatable -- everything, after all, is subject to debate -- but that the author's choice is absolutely incomprehensible, and it calls into question not just that particular choice but the qualifications of the author to make any choices for a list of this kind. Just as a clock striking thirteen calls into question whether the clock is capable of keeping any accurate time, choosing The Paper in preference to Citizen Kane calls into question the ability of this reviewer to make a list of great journalism movies.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 11:03 am
@wandeljw,
Excellent movie - I was about to nominate it.
0 Replies