Savoury mince with cooked onion okay to feed my dog?

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 04:27 am
As the "descriptive title" states, I am wondering if it is okay to feed my dog savoury mince that has cooked onion in it. I'm usually an adequate cook, but the last batch of savoury mince I made for myself failed. As well as being a tad too salty, I used an inferior mince and didn't drain off enough of the fat, so in my opinion it is really not fit for human consumption... and apart from the onion, would be okay for my dog (border collie cross) but I'm a bit concerned that the onion may be a problem. I was told a long time ago that onion was bad for dogs, but they may have been referring to par cooked onion for all I know. Once again I am relying on A2K folk for help.

mags314772

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 04:32 am
@drillersmum,
I was reading something just yesterday that said onion in any form was dangerous for dogs. I wouldn't feed it to your baby.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 04:53 am
RSPCA
Do not feed the following: onions, garlic, chocolate, coffee or caffeine products, avocado, bread dough, grapes, raisins, sultanas, currants, nuts including macadamia nuts, fruit stones (pits) e.g. mango seeds, apricot stones, avocado stones; fruit seeds, corncobs; green unripe tomatoes, mushrooms; the one type of fish constantly, cooked bones; small pieces of raw bone or fatty trimmings
http://kb.rspca.org.au/What-should-I-feed-my-dog_263.html

Onion and garlic poisoning
Onions and garlic are other dangerous food ingredients that cause sickness in dogs, cats and also livestock. Onions and garlic contain the toxic ingredient thiosulphate. Onions are more of a danger.

Pets affected by onion toxicity will develop haemolytic anaemia, where the pet’s red blood cells burst while circulating in its body.
At first, pets affected by onion poisoning show gastroenteritis with vomiting and diarrhoea. They will show no interest in food and will be dull and weak. The red pigment from the burst blood cells appears in an affected animal’s urine and it becomes breathless. The breathlessness occurs because the red blood cells that carry oxygen through the body are reduced in number.

The poisoning occurs a few days after the pet has eaten the onion. All forms of onion can be a problem including dehydrated onions, raw onions, cooked onions and table scraps containing cooked onions and/or garlic. Left over pizza, Chinese dishes and commercial baby food containing onion, sometimes fed as a supplement to young pets, can cause illness.
Onion poisoning can occur with a single ingestion of large quantities or with repeated meals containing small amounts of onion. A single meal of 600 to 800 grams of raw onion can be dangerous whereas a ten-kilogram dog, fed 150 grams of onion for several days, is also likely to develop anaemia. The condition improves once the dog is prevented from eating any further onion

While garlic also contains the toxic ingredient thiosulphate, it seems that garlic is less toxic and large amounts would need to be eaten to cause illness.

jespah

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 04:59 am
@dadpad,
No onions for the dog.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 05:05 am
@dadpad,
mince is loaded with raisins and currants . These are particularly dangerous to dogs and cause kidney failure. I only learned about onion and garlic toxicity this year and have stopped putting garlkic powder in our dogs food because , if you read the labels on KenRation or ALpo, one of the ingredients was garlic powder as it increased the palatability of the dog ration. I think theyve stopped it.

Also, anything with the mercaptan (thiosulphur compounds-those which contain hydrogen sulfide) apparently interfere with an animals ability to synthesize vitamin C. ALl animals except humans and fruitbats can synthesize their own vitamin C, and lack of vitamin C in units less than 3000 per day can have chronic effects on an animals health.
(I wonder how much vitamin C we really should be getting, our RDL for vitamin C seems to be just an amount that helps prevent ascurvy, not actually what we may need for good health) Thats a subject for another thread though, sorry.
dadpad

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 05:10 am
@farmerman,
mince is loaded with raisins and currants.
I think she meant minced meat. ground beef,not mince fruit
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 05:10 am
Vegemite is ok for dogs though.
farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 05:13 am
@dadpad,
what do you do with it? rub it on wounds? or use it as a kennel spary when diluted with alcohol.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 05:32 am
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n191/bb_babe626/P9240354.jpg
farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 05:35 am
@dadpad,
Hes got a nice shiny coat and a sparkle in his eyes. He must be a vegemite doggy, or else somebody's holding a gun to his head.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 05:37 am
@dadpad,
Now that I mentioned it, that dog does look like hes a bit worried about whats going on to his left. He has a worried look. Somebody threatening him?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 05:41 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Now that I mentioned it, that dog does look like hes a bit worried
about whats going on to his left. He has a worried look. Somebody threatening him?
He DOES! Maybe its the guy u saw with the gun!

I 'm calling the ASPCA and the NRA!

David
farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 06:02 am
@OmSigDAVID,
no time!! grab your falcon and head down there!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 07:41 am
@drillersmum,
1. the mince is, as you say, too fatty - not good for the dog right there
2. too salty for you - it will be dangerously salty for the dog
3. onion - dangerous for the dog

My female dog likes to get into the chives as they come up in the spring. We have to watch her very carefully or she'll get sick, vomiting and having black diarrhea.

drillersmum

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 07:56 pm
@ehBeth,
It looks like the chooks are in for a feast then?
patiodog

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 08:16 pm
@drillersmum,
This is why everybody should have a pig.
roger

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 09:46 pm
@patiodog,
But they're such, well, pigs.
0 Replies

dogloverdi

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 05:22 am
@drillersmum,
As far as I know onion is toxic for dogs and cats. I've read this on a lot of forums and articles. One of this is: http://www.feedmydog.org/raw-dog-food-recipes/ where it clearly says: "Foods to avoid: onions, garlic, chives, chocolate, grapes, raisins, macadamia nuts, avocado, potato skins, tomatoes (green, plant). "
0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 05:37 am
The answer is to get a dog who is very picky with its food.

I could give my old dog a bowl full of various crap, and return five minutes later to find shiny clean onion bits, raisins, nuts, shredded cabbage and sprouts left behind.
Being on a budget, this was very handy as I could put all of that in a frying pan with a little bacon or sausage and, hey presto, it would make a wonderful breakfast, when dolloped on to toast with a fried egg placed on top.

Burp.
0 Replies

Beachbouy

Reply Thu 4 May, 2017 03:03 am
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, Alcohol and nicotine are poisons. I've fed all my dogs on my table scraps containing unions and or leeks, garlic etc,as a treat over the years with no ill affects. Everything in moderation
0 Replies