Kick Ass, the Movie

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 04:44 pm
Ok. I know you're gonna think I'm crazy if you haven't seen it, but this is about the best movie I've seen in a LONG time. It's like Kill Bill, except that the main characters have been replaced with teens and kids, and the underlying theme of the movie has been adjusted to match the change.

It's loaded with tongue-in-cheek references to other super-hero movies, many of which have a deeper connection to the basic theme of the movie. It's very funny, tricky and smart. But I think the people who will like it most are the ones who have enjoyed the other super hero films so that you will catch all the references.

This movie was as big a surprise to me as Kung-Fu Hustle, which was another shockingly good film loaded with inside jokes.

Note: This is an R rated movie, mostly for language and violence. It's not for little kids.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 889 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 08:33 am
I'm planning on seeing it tomorrow. If you enjoyed it, it is based of a graphic novel. I hear good things about the original.

T
K
O
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 11:33 am
I thought it was just plain awful. Too much foul language, extreme violence,
and almost no theme at all. This is a movie where someone was looking to
overload on the worst of the worst only. What's even more disturbing was
the teens and kid (the girl) that were part of it - encouraging teens to see it (never mind the R rating that is mostly disregarded).
Diest TKO

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 08:33 am
@CalamityJane,
I saw it.

uh...

Okay...

Damnit.

What the **** was that?

It was just awkward. It was awful. I mean, I have a special love for bad movies. Some of the best cinema experiences of my life have been watching truly bad movies. They still have entertainment value, perhaps because of how bad they are, but this...

This was just awful...

It wasn't funny.

All I can think of is a 11 year old brutally murdering people. It just wasn't good.

I'm trying to think of what I expected, and what I wanted.

I think I expected the goons to get beat up, not dismembered and littered with blood. It was unnecessary. I wanted tongue in cheek, but I just got jock strap "on no she thinks I'm gay" humor.

What this movie could have been is a fun way to lampoon the comic book universe. It was ultimately disappointing.

To heal my wounds, I'll go and watch the 90's classic Blankman.

Maybe, I need to read the graphic novel to see if the director just butchered it, or perhaps it was always this awful.

So disappointed.

T
K
O
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 08:46 am
@Diest TKO,
Since you're so much younger than I am, I am glad that I haven't lost touch
with reality and you found it plain awful too!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 01:06 pm
Wow. I'm sorry you two didn't like it. I thought it was great. Smile

I never read any of the graphic novels and didn't even know they existed until hearing reviews on this movie.

I liked the idea that the true super-heroes are the ones who have something to lose by their actions (they can get their asses kicked). The line that summed it up was this: " 'With no power, comes no responsibility. But that's not really true...' "

I also liked Nick Cage's imitation of Adam West's Batman.

I guess you wouldn't like Kung Fu Hustle much either then. Oh well.
djjd62

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 01:14 pm
@rosborne979,
i'm looking forward to it

but then i don't have any kids

and i loved kung fu hustle

rosborne979

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 01:29 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i'm looking forward to it

but then i don't have any kids

and i loved kung fu hustle

I have a daughter (and she's way too young to see this film), but I don't think of this movie as an instruction manual on how to raise daughters, so it doesn't bother me along those lines.

0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 07:44 pm
@rosborne979,
I'm a huge Kung Fu Hustle fan. Stephen Chow is great! I don't see how this movie earns a comparison?

The name of the movie is "Kick Ass" but the over all theme was just "Brutal Homicide." It wasn't tongue in cheek at all. Watching a 11 year old who has never been to school or made any friends maul, maim, and other violent m-verb people is simply just not entertaining to me.

It's really not the violence either. I mean, I loved 300. I loved Kill Bill. These are very graphically violent films. I guess I just felt like the violence was there to make the movie shocking, and being shocking alone isn't enough for me. Any substance in this film behind the gore was totally lost to the blood, and even if I cleaned that off, I still have to roll my eyes at the remainder of layers of middle school gender baiting, and ultra uninvented love side story.

Want a comic adaptation about how dangerous and scary the world would be as a hero? Stick with the Watchmen. It has that story and a much more deep sense of human nature.

T
Kick Ass failed me.
O
rosborne979

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 01:24 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:
I'm a huge Kung Fu Hustle fan. Stephen Chow is great! I don't see how this movie earns a comparison?

Kick-Ass is at IMDB #144 of the top 250 movies.

I still like Kung Fu Hustle better, but it didn't even make the top 250. Probably because it was sub-titled and had a limited distribution.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 04:42 pm
discussion on the Ron & Fez Show the other day about attitudes to sex and violence, basically saying that parent are way more comfortable watching scenes of violence with their kids than sex scenes

talked about the main outrage with kick ass was the little girl saying ****, not the fact that she slaughters people
0 Replies