Tempura, Beer batter, fried food favorites?

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 03:29 pm
You can tell I'm hungry, posting new threads like these.

I was just reading about the SF Chronicle Food and Wine staff's favorite dishes at restaurants in the SF bay area, made my way past Bostoni cream pie (I would love it) to this one, of beer battered green beans:

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2010/02/08/fd-SECRETS_fried_0501083361.jpg

I'm sure I'd like these, a lot, as I like good tempura and could beer hurt?

link to the Chronicle article: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/04/15/DDA81CQ258.DTL&type=food

So do you ever deep fat fry? I'm a scaredy cat and stay with sauteing non-battered food at not particularly high heat. I get that occasional deep fat frying is not all that unhealthy if the temperature is right and the fried stuff is well drained, though I read something just yesterday about lung problems for women who constantly wok stirfry (which I learned and did with high flame). I now avoid deep fat frying since I'm clumsy and don't want to set the house afire.

I figure some battered fish, chicken, etc. and veggies could be sauteed instead of deep fried.

Your thoughts? Is high flame key to greatness? Recipes? and hurry up, pass the beans..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 5,387 • Replies: 6
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 04:37 pm
I love tempura green beans!

Actually, I love just about all fried foods.

I don't deep fry anymore. Too messy. On the very rare occassion that I feel like I must I have a small, but tall sauce pan that works pretty good except you can only cook in very small batches.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 04:47 pm
@boomerang,
oh man, I love tempura green beans - one of the best things in a couple of food courts near work - yum

I don't deep-fry anything. I've sort of semi-deep-fried some battered fish, but after doing the clean-up a few times, I think we're going to go back to picking up fish and chips at Mike's once a year or so.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:01 pm
@ehBeth,
So far we're similar. But here in non tempura (ice must be right, plus not many here into all that and if they were, far from me) ville, I'm just eyeing those green beans.

Memories of a theater experience, probably the set break down, words I don't remember. People showed up at our house at 1 a.m. Then there was Frank with the must make tempura... which took to at least 2 a.m., as we had to go to the store...

Good, good. Lifetime memory, who knew at the time?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:42 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm sure I will never fry any kind of food on my own with my lack of grace and reliable fine motor skills. Burning down the house and/or personal disfigurement are obstacles I expect to happen if I try this dangerous endeavor. I rather go to Salt and Battery to get some professionally made fish and chips.

Wouldn't know where to get tempura green beans in the city.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
And I'm far from SF and NY now.

There were a couple of ok (remember, you are speaking to an obnoxious maven) places in the humboldt county area, in my time there. One was the take out place for Tomo, big accolades from me, and the other, I forget the name, but at the corner of 3rd and ?, in Eureka, but delicious japanese food well served.

Now I'm in Albuquerque. Dys and Di took me for Dim Sum., a while ago. I told them what I thought. Bunch of huffing.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 03:15 am
I haven't fried food in so many years now, but a long time ago fried onion rings in beer batter, they were scrumptious and I was a pro at fried chicken southern style w/gravy. I kind of miss fried food they taste so good.
0 Replies