What is the practical purpose for clothing?

cheesey

Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:49 pm
Besides keeping warm. Before you say that it keeps people from sexual thoughts consider that there are places where people are naked and they don't seem to have any more of a problem with that than clothed areas, European beaches for one thing. This is a serious question, I don't particularly like wearing clothes.

sozobe

Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:55 pm
@cheesey,
Broadcasting information. (About one's social status, economic status, taste, politics... all kinds of stuff.)

Also a way to engage ones creativity.

Also protection. (Gardening naked can get uncomfortable.)

And camouflage.

I've lived in a house with a clothes-optional policy and while I initially thought it'd be great, especially in the summer, I spent a lot more time with clothes on than off. It's true that nakedness becomes desexualized quickly but it's still annoying to be ogled, (and yes there was more ogling when naked than otherwise), and there were people who were creepy about their nakedness ("I'M NAKED CHECK ME OUT LOOK SEE I'M NAKED AND I'M LIKE TOTALLY FINE WITH IT SERIOUSLY SEE?? NAKED!"), and the protection thing was probably the main reason I wore clothes even though I didn't "need" to. (The main bits we cover tend to be the most sensitive bits).
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:59 pm
@cheesey,
Clothing is used to cover what one wants to be covered, and expose what one wants to expose. It also signals age, status and certain professions.

I think that in the appropriate milieu, like a nude beach, nudity is perfectly fine if that is what a person wants. In our culture, there are many places where people would find nudity offensive.

I sometimes like to walk around the house without clothing. I certainly would not want to be observed by my neighbors, but that is my choice.
0 Replies

Irishk

Wed 7 Apr, 2010 07:02 pm
That reminds me of an article this week about some women protesting something in, I think, Oregon. They were protesting topless and one of them got mad because she was being ogled LOL.
0 Replies

Ionus

Wed 7 Apr, 2010 08:49 pm
@cheesey,
Quote:
I don't particularly like wearing clothes.
Without clothes, you see when a woman is having a period, her vagina leaks, when men have erections, how thoroughly they wipe their arse, etc...I cant think of a reason not to wear clothes.
maporsche

Wed 7 Apr, 2010 08:58 pm
I started a thread about going on about your day without wearing shoes...and I caught a bunch of crap about being dirty, gross, etc.

I wonder if you'll get similar responses here. I mean, naked means w/o shoes too....so it's at least equally gross....right?
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Pemerson

Wed 7 Apr, 2010 09:46 pm
@cheesey,
We don't have fur or feathers to keep us warm, protect our skin from the sun.
Our whole ass would be exposed, good grief, how could we even sit down?
How about the dangling breasts, how really painful as they bounce. They'd probably break off. Would men still find them intriguing?
Besides, that is a part of the way our world twirls. Without clothes, we'd probably all just screw each other to death.
I'm with Ionus, how really gross that could be! Snot dripping out the nose is one thing. How about what drips out the other end?
How cheesey can you get?
OmSigDAVID

Wed 7 Apr, 2010 10:44 pm
@cheesey,
cheesey wrote:
Besides keeping warm. Before you say that it keeps people from sexual thoughts consider that there are places where people are naked and they don't seem to have any more of a problem with that than clothed areas, European beaches for one thing. This is a serious question, I don't particularly like wearing clothes.
Wearing clothing can be valuable in carrying concealed weapons, tho I acknowledge the right to bare arms.

David
firefly

Wed 7 Apr, 2010 10:50 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
It helps to keep the furniture clean.
0 Replies

cheesey

Thu 8 Apr, 2010 12:02 am
@maporsche,
I would imagine so
0 Replies

cheesey

Thu 8 Apr, 2010 12:03 am
@Ionus,
These are valid points
0 Replies

roger

Thu 8 Apr, 2010 01:33 am
@Pemerson,
eeeeeww!
0 Replies

jespah

Thu 8 Apr, 2010 05:59 am
Two words:

frying bacon.
Ionus

Thu 8 Apr, 2010 08:34 am
@jespah,
Quote:
Two words: frying bacon.
Four words : SUNBURN
jespah

Thu 8 Apr, 2010 10:58 am
@Ionus,
'Course that could lead to some interesting conversations where you'd request assistance with, er, applying aloe vera gel.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 8 Apr, 2010 11:05 am
I feel that there are many people who would not want to see me walking around nekkid. I know that most people i see on the street are not people whom i would wish to see in the altogether.

What is the practical purpose? One word: consideration.
Irishk

Thu 8 Apr, 2010 12:09 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I know that most people i see on the street are not people whom i would wish to see in the altogether.

Excellent point! Can you imagine a crowded subway? LOL
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 8 Apr, 2010 03:14 pm
@cheesey,
Because you can look really cute in certain outfits.
0 Replies

ghrde

Sat 6 Apr, 2013 02:08 am
@Ionus,
I can not imagine if they do not wear clothes that are horrible thing
freyanudist

Thu 23 Oct, 2014 08:37 pm
Taking your clothes off is getting something for nothing.
0 Replies