The Art of the Film Trailer!

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 09:43 am
Quote:
Never Before in the History of Motion Pictures
Fri, 2 Apr 10

Patrick Humphries takes an affectionate look at the story of the movie trailer. He charts its beginnings from simple cinema slide into the high-octane technological wizardry we're used to today. Central to the story in the UK is Esther Harris who dominated British trailer making for over fifty years, beginning in the 1920s. We hear from this 'Queen of Trailers' herself in a never before broadcast interview. This wonderfully eccentric ninety year old explains over a cup of tea how her extraordinary career began and the problems she encountered with censors and occasionally directors including Michael Winner who she recalls told her, "you're a bloody nuisance, you know, but you've got style!" With king size thrills and breathtaking suspense, this is a never before heard tribute to a unique aspect of the film industry; and of course, perhaps to no ones surprise, it features a very gravelly voice....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/r4choice/

True the story depends a little too much on the classic era of filmmaking. The Overly Sentimentalistic/Old School Trumps All Contemporary Studio Production School of Film Theory but its still a thoughtful and interesting history and psychological study of film trailers and film marketing.

The direct download link to the podcast:
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/r4choice/r4choice_20100402-1600a.mp3
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,868 • Replies: 3
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 10:09 am
listened to that yesterday
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 06:51 pm
Oh I'll have to give that a listen! I love film trailers.

There is a yearly smackdown of horror/grindhouse film trailers among collecters here that I've wanted to attened.

Lately I've become obsessed with the film trailers at "The Daily What" the Pac Man - The Movie trailer is wonderful.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 06:57 pm
@boomerang,
I've seen several Pac Man: The Movie parody trailers. Pretty funny stuff.

The podcast goes on about the importance of trailers to the horror genre in terms of marketing.
0 Replies