What are some of the most unethical movies?

Fri 11 Aug, 2023 10:30 am
Many notoriously unethical films placed actors and animals lives at risk. With some notable project productions actually involving fatalities.

Example: Roar (1981), which earned the dishonor of being called the "most dangerous movie ever made."

A slightly shorter review:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,582 • Replies: 8
Topic Closed
No top replies

FredBquick

Tue 15 Aug, 2023 03:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
Since the Twilight Zone movie came out, many years ago, I considered it objectionable for being tremendously unethical with its negligent irresponsibility in production that killed off young actors in it.
0 Replies

hingehead

Tue 15 Aug, 2023 08:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
It thought casting John Wayne as Genghis Khan was pretty unethical.
tsarstepan

Wed 16 Aug, 2023 11:01 am
@hingehead,
That was a very vulgar practice during that period (and sadly current period of Hollywood casting). This case is especially egregious. He's not that good of an actor.
0 Replies

KaJe

Tue 24 Oct, 2023 12:12 am
I think Hollywood was always unethical, now too, following trends, thus being the enemy of real cinematic art. But, remaining at the thing as you mean the question, once black actors were really abused in movies. There is a bunch of such scenes in the classic Public Enemy clip 'Burn Hollywood Burn'.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 24 Oct, 2023 06:36 am
This is an except from an interview with Sarah Polley, the child actor who was in Terry Gilliam's Baron Munchausen

Quote:
‘It took me years to see how responsible Terry Gilliam was for my terror’

There were many special effects in the film; scenes of battle, exploding bombs, space and moonwalking. As we were about to shoot a sequence involving explosives, Terry led me down a route I was to run through – the set of a bombed-out city. I was told there would be explosives going off as I ran, but I wasn’t concerned. It would all be perfectly safe, I was told. I was given two cotton balls to put into my ears in case the sound was too loud for me. After Terry yelled “Action!” I began my run as instructed. Blasts of debris exploded on the ground around me, accompanied by deafening booms that made me feel as if I myself had exploded. A log I was to run under was partially on fire. The gigantic blasts continued and shook everything around me. I ran, terrified, straight into the camera, tripping over the dolly tracks.

Terry laughed and looked perplexed. “What happened?” he asked, as though I had just run screaming from a slow-moving merry-go-round. I couldn’t breathe. It didn’t seem possible that this could have been the plan, that things hadn’t just gone terribly wrong. But they hadn’t. This was the plan. And I had just ruined the take. I was mortified. It took a long time to reset the take and while Terry didn’t show any frustration about the delay, he also didn’t seem to notice how scared I was.

I had to do it again. I had to do it until I got it right. I went cold with fear, shaking. I sobbed in my father’s arms in between takes and pleaded with him to intervene. He held me close, soothing me. But when an assistant director came over to say they needed another take, my father said, with genuine remorse: “I’m afraid they have to do it again, love. I’m sorry. There’s nothing I can do.” And so I ran the gauntlet of explosives again. And again. And again.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/jun/12/sarah-polley-terry-gilliam-run-towards-danger-baron-munchausen-interview
tsarstepan

Tue 24 Oct, 2023 07:43 am
@izzythepush,
WOW! I never knew this. Don't remember that much about the 1988 film. Was Terry Gilliam that bad in directing his other movies?
izzythepush

Tue 24 Oct, 2023 08:59 am
@tsarstepan,
I don't know.

I always had a very high opinion of him until I read that article.

In fairness I've not seen anything else critical of him.

I think it's something a lot of directors could be guilty of, they can be a bit monomaniacal.
0 Replies

FredBquick

Tue 24 Oct, 2023 03:11 pm
Killing animals for movies is really unethical too
0 Replies