Worst Movies of 2010

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 09:04 pm
Quote:
Vulture Critics’ Poll: What’s the Worst Movie of 2010?
The Vulture Critics' Poll is the definitive survey of terribleness in film, with ballots and commentary from 50 of America's most prominent critics, from David Edelstein to A.O. Scott, from J. Hoberman to Lisa Schwarzbaum....

http://tinyurl.com/6brchpu

The list according to Rottentomatoes for the winners (or losers) of the Moldy Award:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/guides/golden_tomato_awards_2010/moldy

SO? What was the worst movie you saw that was theatrically released in the bygone year of 2010?

For me? The three worst films so far were:
3. Tron: Legacy;
2. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo;
1. Dinner For Schmucks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 8,425 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 09:24 pm
2012 suuuuuuuckkked!!!
I couldn't wait for it to end. Horrible. Although this might have been one of last years worst, can't remember.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 10:01 pm
@Ceili,
It was 2009 but I can see how the trauma may blur your memory to the terror. I kind of liked the first half of 2012 then it went spiraling into crap-film hell as sadly expected.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 10:32 am
The Expendables

One of the worst movies I have ever seen.
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 11:10 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I purposely missed Expendables since it was sorta cast as a "Superensemble movie" with all the action dudes together. I thought that nothing good could come from that.

I forgot "Book of Eli" for a post apocalyptic spread, it was done better several times before.
Reminded me of the "E Pleb Nista" on Star trek when I was a spratling kid in college
Irishk

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 11:25 am
@tsarstepan,
Haven't read the rottentomatoes list yet, but off the top of my head -- Knight and Day was the worst! While trying to watch, I was actually embarrassed for Cruise and Diaz -- hated that feeling.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 11:30 am
@Irishk,
I really hope that Rifftrax does a their job and riffs on both Knight and Day as well as The Expendables. That would be the only reason I'd watch either film.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 02:13 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I purposely missed Expendables since it was sorta cast as a "Superensemble movie" with all the action dudes together. I thought that nothing good could come from that.

I forgot "Book of Eli" for a post apocalyptic spread, it was done better several times before.
Reminded me of the "E Pleb Nista" on Star trek when I was a spratling kid in college

You did yourself a favor.

I liked "Book of Eli" although I still can't believe the ending, and yes there have been better post-apocalyptic films.

"E Pleb Nista" with the Coms and the Yangs was the worst Star Trek episode of them all.
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 03:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
"E Pleb Nista" with the Coms and the Yangs was the worst Star Trek episode of them all.
My point exactly. Thats how bad ELI was, IMHO. I like Denzel. One of his later movies,"Man on Fire" where he played the body guard for a Mexican family, was superb.

"I wish I had MORE TIME"!! great line
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 03:43 pm
why would i see a bad movie
Green Witch

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 05:57 pm
@djjd62,
I often wonder why people spend a chunk of change on bad movies. You can just look at a site like Rotten Tomatoes to get an idea of what a movie is like. Personally, if a movie rates at an extreme (good or bad) I agree with the critics. Example: A few weeks ago we rented a vacation place with a group of friends. Two of the couples decided to go see The Fockers. I mentioned I read some of the reviews, they were all terrible, and had no desire to see it. They had also seen the reviews, but felt critics could be wrong. They went and came back with remarks like "I can't believe we spent $$$ on that garbage...", "The producers should have paid us to sit through it and I don't think they could pay me enough...". Well, duh!
ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 06:19 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
Personally, if a movie rates at an extreme (good or bad) I agree with the critics.

It's A Wonderful Life is a failed film noir that found life in the 1960's as extremely popular schlock.

Ishtar is now finding popularity (I didn't mind it the first time round - better than many other movies I've seen).

Sometimes you have to trust your own instincts.

That said, I can't think of any 2010 film that I cared for - and I won't be re-watching any of them.
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 06:25 pm
@ehBeth,
ISHTAR was always a secret vice with me (just as Dancing with WOlves). I loved its tongue in cheekness . If it were done by the ENglish we would be hailing the movie as brilliant high comedy.

Dancing with Wolves , around here, is fondly referred to as junk whereas I loved the attempt at bringing the plains Indians a day to day life and how the tribal government worked.
Green Witch

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 06:32 pm
@ehBeth,
Somewhere my husband has a T-Shirt that says "Jump, George Bailey, Jump" and all copies of Ishtar should be burned in case aliens ever find it and try to judge us by it's content.

What I really find amazing is how much they spend to make a movie and how often they end up being awful. You would think with all the resources and experts available that they could fix it long before releasing it to the public.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 06:56 pm
@farmerman,
It's hard to think Dances With Wolves as a secret vice considering it won it's respective year's Best Picture.

Personally, I couldn't stand the film. Couldn't find a single sympathetic character in the lot. Really hated the Kevin Costner character and wanted a canon to loosen his head from his body since his whiny ass first found its way onto the screen.
royable

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 01:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
My vote for Tron Legacy. a complete waste.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 02:45 pm
@royable,
Tron Legacy wasn't horrible but it was horribly disappointing.
farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 02:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
As an admirer of American Indian traditions, "DAnces..." was [retty true to the way things were. I loved it.

I thought that the Kings SPeech was (while not the worst movie of the year) was certainly not the best. I have no idea what the shouting was about.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 02:59 pm
I felt the same about the King's Speech - it was alright - but I was expecting it to be great, and it definitely wasn't that.
It did put the more recent lineage in some context for me though - so at least it served some purpose.

The worst movie of 2010 that I saw was the Harry Potter one that came out last year - I can't remember what it was called - but I went with my daughter because she asked me to and I thought it was the most boring, incomprehensible mish-mash I can remember seeing.
I'd sit through every single Twilight movie back to back (and I didn't really enjoy those either) before I'd sit through that Harry Potter thing again.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 03:06 pm
@aidan,
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (2010) I was particularly disappointed in the latest installment considering how great Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009) was.