Epic Films for Farmerman: the Quest for Lovable Quest films

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:28 am
Farmerman clearly would rather eat blueberry pie then go to an epic film like Harry Potter. For shame!

He can't stand quest films like Lord of the Rings and the Chronicles of Narnia. His prejudice is greater then a disliking for fantasy films.

According to him:
Quote:
last real ass backward investment in "epics" was SHOGUN, many years ago wen I was finishing my dissertation. Fuckin movie was so damnconvoluted because it was written for INSIDERS who read the Clavell Book.

A bloody (pun not intended?) bad made for TV movie for Pete's sake.

So we need to school Sir Farmerman in the art of Epic films!
Here is my contribution to Farmerman's much needed education in epic cinema.
Epic war films:
Apocalypse Now (1979)
Band of Brothers (2001 Mini-Series)
Das Boot (1981)
Gettysburg (1993)
The Pianist (2002)
Epic samurai films:
13 Assassins (2010)
Ran (1985)
Seven Samurai (1954)

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 13,513 • Replies: 58
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:39 am
Shogun sucked because it was badly made and the novel itself was preposterous. Lord Toranaga was supposed to be the same as Tokugawa Ieyasu, but in 1600, Tokugawa had already eliminated the opposition. Clavell really screwed the history, because Tokugawa was not an old man in the contextx in which he set his novel, but his character Toranaga was.

Gettysburg sucked because it was bullshit. Not only was the motion picture based on actual fiction, it was based on the novel Killer Angels which was itself bullshit.

For pure escapism quest movies, i recommend the Lara Croft movies--the plus side being Angelina Jolie.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_chT3T55U6zs/S379AflkwDI/AAAAAAAARnE/YbkF5Sk_p-c/s1600/lara_croft_tomb_raider.jpg
wandeljw

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 08:46 am
@Setanta,
I saw the version of Shogun that was released in Europe. It had scenes that were censored on American television. The European version was more appealing to me, altho I realize it lacks in historicity.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 08:54 am
@tsarstepan,
Though I know with certainty that many people will disagree/ridicule me for at least a few of these, I would recommend:

The Godfather, all parts (begin ridicule now)
Full Metal Jacket (come on, this is epic, right?)
Letters from Iwo Jima

And something specifically for Farmerman that he clearly can't do without. . .
The Twilight Saga
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 08:58 am
Did you say quest films!?

I LOVE "Three Kings".
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 11:30 am
@boomerang,
Questioner?
Quote:
And something specifically for Farmerman that he clearly can't do without. . .
The Twilight Saga

Laughing Exactly fits his demographic! Laughing

Excellent on the target recommendation Boomerang!! Brilliant film! Very Happy
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 03:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
I really enjoyed Lonesome Dove. It was a genre and an epic flick that capture me enough to give it the highest honor of three pitchforks.

Also'Valley of the Gwangi" was full mindless dinosaur hunting and treasure .

I liked half of the Indiana Jones movies(no 2 n no 4 cmon). I even liked "The Trap". with Oliver Reed. (Its an old flick about a trapper in the CAnadian North) [which is kind of an oxymoron isnt it?).

I like plot twists and caper movies. I especially like "talking head " shows like Doc MArtin.

farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 03:42 pm
@farmerman,
I saw Das Boot not as a quest film at all. I liked it a lot.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 05:20 pm
@farmerman,
A Grand Day Out, The Wrong Trousers, A Close Shave, Curse Of The Weir-rabbit, A Matter Of Loaf And Death.
farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 06:29 pm
@izzythepush,
Grommit movies are sort of OK, but appealing to slow talkers.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:15 pm
When it comes to quest films, I remember my reaction to "Romancing the Stone" in the theater, very entertaining, great fun.

My epic film of note would be "The Great Escape".
farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:28 pm
@wayne,
Romancing the STone, needed every minute of Danny Devito in his foul mouthed little prick role to be the entertaining film it was. Great Escape, Longest Day, a\nd Toro ToroToro (the attack of te lawnmowers) were all good and only mildly epic becasue they all took place in a very short space of time
msolga

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 10:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well, I'm a little confused about the generally accepted qualities of what constitutes an "epic film".
The definition seems to vary, somewhat subjectively, from person to person.

But, in my book, this is one that I've loved.

Have you seen it, farmer? If so, does this meet your "epic" requirements? Smile

It meets mine. It's a terrific film which has stood the test of time. (Well to me, anyway>)

wayne

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 10:19 pm
@farmerman,
True, true, and Kathleen Turner doesn't have much trouble entertaining me either.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 11:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
Tell me one more time what you mean by epic? broad sweeping?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 02:03 am
@msolga,
Philip K Dick has stood the test of time, you can see his influence in so much contemporary SF, and they've just scratched the surface regarding film adaptations of his books.
0 Replies

ragnel

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 02:33 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote -
Quote:
Also'Valley of the Gwangi" was full mindless dinosaur hunting and treasure .

This was on the box last weekend. It lost me when the first pterodactyl attacked. No matter how much I tried to switch off my reasoning senses to enjoy it, the question of why the bloody pterodactyls just didn't fly over the valley walls and take their chances 'out here' like the rest of us plagued me.

Quote:
I even liked "The Trap". with Oliver Reed. (Its an old flick about a trapper in the CAnadian North).

Now that was some movie indeed!
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 04:38 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Tell me one more time what you mean by epic? broad sweeping?

Broad scope of story. A single blind date can't be an epic film.

The story tend to cover a lot of time. An epic is not going to be a movie that covers just a single day in the life of a single character.

The characters often need to travel great distances before their goal is completed. Many obstacles will be in their way.

A lot of characters (the more extras the better), that's why many war films are considered epic.

Lord of the Rings series and Saving Private Ryan are two examples as such.
Ben Smith

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 06:36 am
I was never a big fan of zombie movies, in fact I hated them.
Then one night I gave "Resident Evil" a look and have been
hooked since. Why I don't know. Maybe it's Milla Jovovich.
Check it out. EPIC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6uDnd_v5Bw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd0hGSFom6g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh7qwF23ijI
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 07:46 am
@Ben Smith,
I Liked "Sean of the DEAD"
0 Replies